ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Darren Collison considering coming out of retirement, interested in Lakers and Clippers

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Re: Woj: Darren Collison considering coming out of retirement, interested in Lakers and Clippers 

Post#61 » by Dr Aki » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 pm

lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Re: Woj: Darren Collison considering coming out of retirement, interested in Lakers and Clippers 

Post#62 » by lazybatman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:52 pm

thebigbird wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
thebigbird wrote:In 2013/2014, Mario Chalmers averaged 66.1 touches per game, 4.25 seconds per touch, and 4.0 dribbles per touch. Last year in Indiana, 63.7 touches per game, 5.13 seconds per touch, and 4.7 dribbles per touch. If Mario Chalmers handled the ball that much starting with Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and prime LeBron, Collison sill have no problem getting plenty of touches with old man LeBron and no other ball dominant wing in the starting lineup. The narrative that lebron turns everyone into "floor spacers" isn't accurate and needs to die.

Yes copying the successful formula formula in Miami would make sense but it seems like Lebron also has a personal agenda of leading the league in assists. Its working well against most average and good teams but the concern is if the team can sustain this for the next 60 games and if it would work against tougher defensive teams esp the Clippers.
The main question too is identifying the greatest need especially for the playoffs. Is it a starting backcourt partner or a bench playmaker who can create and generate points for this team when Lebron sits? Can Collison provide the former or the latter? Can he do both?

I'm pretty against point guard Lebron. I just don't like it. In the regular season it's fine because they'll be able to rack up wins against the bad and average teams, but when LeBron goes passive pass-first against the top teams we struggle. He has to be in attack mode come playoff time for the Lakers to go far.

I think Collison can do both. The last two playoffs with Indiana he averaged around 30 mpg. Lebron will probably play around 37-38 mpg. So even if Collison plays every single non-LeBron minute that's around 20 mpg with him where he can be the secondary ballhandler. The two big holes I see in the roster right now are a wing defender and a secondary ballhandler. If LA finds a way to get Collison and Iggy they'll be in business.

I would contend that there isn't a better ball handler in bigtime playoff series, than Lebron. It doesn't take a magnifying glass to see that the Lakers aren't running their bread and butter plays against the Clips and Bucks in regular season.. same way Steph & KD PnR was hidden from the league till the playoffs last 3 regular seasons.. same reason Coach Pop always used to rest different combos of TD, Manu & TP in big games during the regular season.

'Playoff Lebron' is a different animal. His stamina has become an issue now, and he doesn't like to initiate possessions all the time anyway, so Collison would indeed be a great addition, but there's no alternate reality where Collison is better QB than Lebron in a Playoff setting.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#63 » by stan francisco » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:33 pm

LBJ is a ball handling and assist genius. But his turnovers happen when he’s too spent to bend his knees, so a relief from a competent Collison every third possession or so would help.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,830

Post#64 » by Beethoven » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Dr Aki wrote:Image

this guy has been such a team player.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#65 » by Kilroy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:40 pm

Beethoven wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:Image

this guy has been such a team player.

He has and I hope being around Howard and seeing what it's like for a former all star to have to humble himself completely for a second chance at being loved by fans, is making an impression on him.
I think it's cool to see, but on the other hand, how hard is it.... It's not like he has much of a choice other than just staying home, but if he stays home, he falls farther off teams radar.

So I'm a fan at this point just because it looks like he's enjoying himself, but I'm also telling myself not to get too gooey about it either... I want to see what he does on the court again, because he's always been kind of a me-first guy when he's actually playing.

That said, I was really kind of missing Kobe and his drive and determination last night and today... But then you see what a difference this team is to Kobe's teams... Kobe's teams, only a few guys wanted to play with him on... He was driving stars away... This team you have guys wanting to come out of retirement for and a dude who's out for the season, who'd rather travel with the team and sit on the bench every game rather than being in the comfort of his own home. I'll take this over the Kobe teams... Even if I'd rather watch Kobe.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#66 » by Landsberger » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:51 am

I too like this "team" better than the Kobe teams however Kobe's drive to win and be better is second to none that I've ever seen. I much prefer the motion style offense to what we do but we're currently successful at a level we haven't seen in Lakerdom in a long time.

I'm less convinced on Cousins change in tune over his desire to get his next contract. The guys injuries have probably cost him a quarter of a Billion dollars and he's hoping for all of the exposure he can get to try and recoup some of that green to payoff baby mommas... I'll believe it the next time a ref calls a foul on this... or a teammate doesn't pass him the ball where he wants it or a coach tries to change a part of his game for the better and he doesn't want to.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#67 » by Dr Aki » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:08 pm

Return to Los Angeles Lakers