Knicks Leaning Toward Retaining Marcus Morris Through Deadline

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Knicks Leaning Toward Retaining Marcus Morris Through Deadline 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 pm

The New York Knicks are leaning toward retaining Marcus Morris through the deadline unless they receive a significant trade haul.

The Knicks are not compelled to trade Morris in a deal for a late first round pick while having them take back a non-expiring contract.

The Knicks continue to prefer to maintain their 2020 and 2021 cap space.

Morris makes approximately $15 million this season and a third team would likely be needed to facilitate a trade to a contender. 

The Knicks will attempt to re-sign Morris this offseason.

Via Marc Berman/New York Post

saltybs
Sophomore
And1: 57

Re: Knicks Leaning Toward Retaining Marcus Morris Through Deadline 

Post#2 » by saltybs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:08 pm

It's the right move. Everyone loves to worship "the process" but building a consistent winner is 2 parts talent, 1 part attitude/culture. Look at the Spurs. Their dynasty included talent, for sure, but there was a reason they always seemed to recharge with guys who probably were outplaying their individual talents: the collective confidence of a winning culture.

Morris is a winner, and for the knicks to become winners they'll eventually have to start retaining players like him.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:14 pm

While I agree in having some degree of roster continuity, the guy will be 31 at start of next season and the Knicks are 3 seasons away from contending. getting 2nd round picks in 2020 for Morris allows them to fill our roster with cheaper and controllable options long term.

Smith/Ntilikina/Barrett/Randle/Knox/Robinson/2020 1st is a foundation to add to long term. I dont see point of adding Morris to that mix.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Of course.

Collect assets? Overrated. Knicks gotta Knick
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:40 pm

saltybs wrote:It's the right move. Everyone loves to worship "the process" but building a consistent winner is 2 parts talent, 1 part attitude/culture. Look at the Spurs. Their dynasty included talent, for sure, but there was a reason they always seemed to recharge with guys who probably were outplaying their individual talents: the collective confidence of a winning culture.

Morris is a winner, and for the knicks to become winners they'll eventually have to start retaining players like him.

Morris is a UFA next summer if he opts out, the Knicks don’t have any guarantee that he’ll be back. That’s the primary issue and the #1 reason they should be trading him for something tangible.

Morris has also played for one winning team, the Celtic’s, (who grossly underachieved last season), and several perennial lottery teams (Suns, Pistons, Knicks). He has been considered a bit of a malcontent and bad teammate most of his career so I’m not exactly sure on what makes him a winner? Perhaps you can expand on that l?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#6 » by Barcs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm

Knicks should be looking to get as many picks as possible for 2020/ 2021. I like Morris, but the Knicks should focus on the future and that's not Morris.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#7 » by nedleeds » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:06 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#8 » by nedleeds » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:08 pm

saltybs wrote:It's the right move. Everyone loves to worship "the process" but building a consistent winner is 2 parts talent, 1 part attitude/culture. Look at the Spurs. Their dynasty included talent, for sure, but there was a reason they always seemed to recharge with guys who probably were outplaying their individual talents: the collective confidence of a winning culture.

Morris is shooting 17-20 shots a game trying to get a bigger contract for next year. Winner my **** ass. He's a winner? Why the hell did he sign with a team he KNEW would be bottom 5 in the league. Total nonsense and sounds like what Mills would say. He's a loser merc trying to get a 3 year deal.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#9 » by tribulations » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:24 pm

In principle I agree but Marcus Morris is not reference case to use.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#10 » by alienpick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:While I agree in having some degree of roster continuity, the guy will be 31 at start of next season and the Knicks are 3 seasons away from contending. getting 2nd round picks in 2020 for Morris allows them to fill our roster with cheaper and controllable options long term.

Smith/Ntilikina/Barrett/Randle/Knox/Robinson/2020 1st is a foundation to add to long term. I dont see point of adding Morris to that mix.

Morris is a UFA this summer he won't be back next season, unless they pay him something stupid
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#11 » by bball4life » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 pm

Retaining Morris this year would mean 2 things
1) Win a few more meaningless games making the first round draft pick less valuable
2) Justify retaining him by offering a bloated long term deal to a 31 year old who is about 10 years older than "the core"

This would be the most Knick thing ever
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#12 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:25 pm

tribulations wrote:

In principle I agree but Marcus Morris is not reference case to use.
Morris doesn't bring that to the table. Spurs and Knicks are a BAD example.
Better to trade him for something, then walk for free. A second round pick and an expiring.

Return to Wiretap Discussion