Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#241 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:05 pm

CalL wrote:Right now Hachimura, Herro and Paschall (not sure if he counts?) are looking good for where they were drafted.

Agree on the other two but has Hach really looked that good? His TS% is well below the league average due to his terrible outside shooting and inability to get to the FT line, he has a negative VORP and he currently rates out as the 96th best defensive PF out of 96 players using DRPM. He's a one position player who apparently can't defend that one position and his skill set doesn't currently fit in with being a modern PF either.

Brandon Clarke would be a better example, he's been much better than Hach on both ends of the court while drafted 12 spots later. PJ Washington, another PF, has also been much better.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#242 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pm

clyde21 wrote:lol 2019 was/is not weak at all

and Sekou should've been in everyone's top 7 or so, he'd be up there in any class, he's perfect modern day 4 who can score on multiple levels, isn't terrible on defense with a good motor and is young af.

I'm killing the Wizards for taking Rui over Sekou. They made that pick for 3 reasons:
1. Character - they wanted to change the character of the team, and Rui's a super hard-worker and a great kid.
2. The Japanese market. He's already a big name there, and the market potential there is great.
3. Tommy Sheppard is to GM's what Rui is to players. He's a likable hard worker who's just not very talented. He was part of the reason Ernie Grunfeld picked Jan Vesely with the 6th pick.

Btw, Rui fits a lousy archetype - good mid-range shooter with no 3 and can't defend anyone - just has zero instincts on defense. And a poor rebounder. Given that he is such a hard worker, there's hope that he will improve - but I don't see him ever being more than an average PF.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#243 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:

and Sekou should've been in everyone's top 7 or so, he'd be up there in any class, he's perfect modern day 4 who can score on multiple levels, isn't terrible on defense with a good motor and is young af.

I'm killing the Wizards for taking Rui over Sekou. They made that pick for 3 reasons:
1. Character - they wanted to change the character of the team, and Rui's a super hard-worker and a great kid.
2. The Japanese market. He's already a big name there, and the market potential there is great.
3. Tommy Sheppard is to GM's what Rui is to players. He's a likable hard worker who's just not very talented. He was part of the reason Ernie Grunfeld picked Jan Vesely with the 6th pick.

Btw, Rui fits a lousy archetype - good mid-range shooter with no 3 and can't defend anyone - just has zero instincts on defense. And a poor rebounder. Given that he is such a hard worker, there's hope that he will improve - but I don't see him ever being more than an average PF.

yea, that's why I wasn't too high on him, but to be fair he's actually been pretty good this year before the injury
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#244 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

yea, that's why I wasn't too high on him, but to be fair he's actually been pretty good this year before the injury

He's scored at a good rate, and he doesn't turn the ball over, but I saw some new defensive stat that rated him the worst defensive forward in the NBA. Granted, rookies are always going to need work on D, and he'll improve there - but dead last is... bad. One thing clued me in - he tries to block every shot, and yet he's got a total of 3 blocks in his 729 minutes this season. He's like the anti-Brandon Clarke.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
clyde21
RealGM

Post#245 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Tonight Sekou Doumbouya of the @DetroitPistons scored 24 points on 10-for-13 shooting (76.9 percent). At 19 years and 23 days old, he is the youngest player in NBA history to score 20+ points on 75.0+ percent shooting in a game. #DetroitBasketball
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#246 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:25 pm

clyde21 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Tonight Sekou Doumbouya of the @DetroitPistons scored 24 points on 10-for-13 shooting (76.9 percent). At 19 years and 23 days old, he is the youngest player in NBA history to score 20+ points on 75.0+ percent shooting in a game. #DetroitBasketball

I guess Kobe actually still is the youngest to do it

Sekou Doumbouya became the 2nd youngest player (19 years, 23 days) in NBA history to score 24+ pts on 75+% FG in a game. The only player to do this at a younger age was Kobe Bryant back in April of ’97
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#247 » by The_Hater » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:36 pm

clyde21 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

It’s early but this kid looks like the real deal. Smooth, instinctive. Far more skilled then I would have guessed he’d be at this point.

He might be an even bigger draft day steal then Cam Reddish, but I don’t want to go out on a limb just yet....
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#248 » by King Ken » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:57 pm

Cam Reddish is on the Trae Young diet. After a very good December, he is having a special January on both ends. Has improved his -1.8 WAR to -0.5 which is tied with Barrett. He is already the 2nd best defender in his class behind Matisse Thybulle and I would argue an even better 1v1 defender with his lateral quickness, length, 6'9 height and can effectively guard 1-3 with no issues and now can switch into 4s as well.

Shooting 40% from three on good volume for anyone, Reddish at this current upward pace is in for a 1.5 to 2.0 WAR which is extremely rare for a rookie two way wing. Too many people playing with Reddish name needs to fix their mouth. He has been one of our biggest impact players defensively and his offense been coming around.

I thought ya'll learn from last year when we drafted the worst player in the NBA in Trae Young. I guess ya'll didn't.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#249 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Terence Davis, Naz Reid and Lu Dort have been steals so far as UDFAs

as marcus said, I'm honestly surprised all 3 of these guys didn't even get drafted.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#250 » by Marcus » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:45 pm

clyde21 wrote:Terence Davis, Naz Reid and Lu Dort have been steals so far as UDFAs

as marcus said, I'm honestly surprised all 3 of these guys didn't even get drafted.

the value of development, hard work, and buying into a role.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#251 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:06 pm

Kevin Porter Jr still has to be up there, I had him top 10 on my board and he looks like Cleveland's best prospect to me. Not sure what the off-court stuff was that made him fall but he's looked pretty promising.

Especially since his creating separation skills have translated, although he's not necessarily efficient on these looks yet, all the space he creates has me pretty confident he will be knocking them down eventually.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#252 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:41 am

speaking of Porter, 30/8/3/3 tonight
King Ken
General Manager

Post#253 » by King Ken » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:36 pm

clyde21 wrote:Terence Davis, Naz Reid and Lu Dort have been steals so far as UDFAs

Lu Dort should not have been drafted. But he's your case for Scottie Lewis. He wasn't draftable but he went to OKC which is really good when it comes to developing raw athletes and turning them into decent players.

Naz Reid should have always been drafted. I never understood why he wasn't. I know he's not the ideal fit due to his defense but he's a legit player.

Davis didn't want to be drafted. Teams wanted to draft him on a two-way and he declined wanting to choose his situation instead. A smart decision for him as it turned out. It doesn't always work for most but it did for Davis.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#254 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:30 pm

King Ken wrote:

Lu Dort should not have been drafted.

stopped reading right there.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#255 » by getrichordie » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:01 pm

Before March Madness finished, I said Reddish would be the best long-term NBA player out of Duke’s Big 3. I liked him more than Barrett and had concerns about Zion’s knees/feet.

Reddish is going to be an elite perimeter defender in a couple years. I think he is kind of miscast as I think he would be a better suited as an on-ball player than off.

Thought for sure Dort would get drafted as well as Reid. GMs and scouts need to stop putting so much emphasis on height in this position less basketball era. We’ve seen smaller guys succeed at defending bigger guys.

Biggest steals =

Reddish
Dort
Davis
Nunn
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#256 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:53 pm

King Ken wrote:

Lu Dort should not have been drafted. But he's your case for Scottie Lewis. He wasn't draftable but he went to OKC which is really good when it comes to developing raw athletes and turning them into decent players.

Naz Reid should have always been drafted. I never understood why he wasn't. I know he's not the ideal fit due to his defense but he's a legit player.

Davis didn't want to be drafted. Teams wanted to draft him on a two-way and he declined wanting to choose his situation instead. A smart decision for him as it turned out. It doesn't always work for most but it did for Davis.

I think Naz Reid did the same thing as Terrance Davis.

He is on quite a nice contract, for a rookie.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
King Ken
General Manager

Post#257 » by King Ken » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:02 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
King Ken wrote:

I think Naz Reid did the same thing as Terrance Davis.

He is on quite a nice contract, for a rookie.

Makes sense, he was clearly draftable.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#258 » by clyde21 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:46 am

Coby last 3 games

33 pts
33 pts
35 pts

his stop-and-go and shot making ability is special
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#259 » by getrichordie » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:04 am

clyde21 wrote:Coby last 3 games

33 pts
33 pts
35 pts

his stop-and-go and shot making ability is special

Agreed. He just seems laser-focused as well. Great find by the Bulls. Even though he is listed at 6'4, he plays like he is 6'6 and has terrific feel for the game as a scorer.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#260 » by No-Man » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:44 am

Coby is 6-5 and he plays smaller than that actually to my eye, due to lack of length

Return to NBA Draft