Trade Thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Trade Thread 

Post#1 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Got a little time so I'm playing with the ESPN NBA Trade Machine.

Portland Trail Blazers
Trades: Whiteside, Bazemore, Simons, 2021 1st Rd Pick
Receives: Gallinari, Schroeder, Len, Carter
Why: Portland decides to go for broke this year. With Nurkic, Skal, and Collins returning from injury this season, they make a late push for the playoffs.

PG Lillard / Schroeder
SG McCollum / Trent
SF Gallinari / Carter / Hoard
PF Anthony / Labisserie / Little
_C Nurkic / Collins / Len

Oklahoma City Thunder
Trades: Adams, Gallinari, Schroeder, Roberson
Receives: Whiteside, Parsons, Bazemore, Simons
Why: OKC receives expiring contracts for Adams and Schroeder. Is Simons enough to entice them to give up Schroeder? Is a future pick needed?

Atlanta Hawks
Trades: Parsons, Len, Carter
Receives: Adams, Roberson, Portland 2021 1st Rd Pick (with lotto protections for a year or two or three)
Why: Atlanta has a small amount of cap space available, but it's just enough to help wit this deal. They get a big bruising center who would be great setting picks for Young to drain the 3 pointer. They have to eat an extra year of his contract and take on a little extra salary with Roberson so I the Blazers need to include a pick.

Regardless of whether you would want to do the trade or not, Is this even close? Is sweetener needed and where? Finally, would you want to do something like this? I managed to make a successful trade on the ESPN Trade Machine that actually has all 3 teams winning fewer games according to Hollinger's Analysis (-5 for the Blazers and Thunder and -15 for the Hawks). I wasn't aware Parsons and Len were that good for the Hawks.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Trade Thread 

Post#2 » by d-train » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Sorry DVM, I think the trade stinks for Blazers.

I do agree that with Nurkic and Collins returning, the Blazers will be making a push for the playoffs. I believe with Nurkic and Collins we already have the players to make a successful playoff run.

There is no player(s) in your trade singularly or altogether that is worth Whiteside.

There is no player(s) in your trade singularly or altogether that is worth Simons.

There is no player(s) in your trade singularly or altogether that I want enough to trade a '21 1st round pick.

I would rather keep Bazemore than have either Gallo or Schroeder. I do like both these players and they are probably better than Bazemore. I would rather have Bazemore because he is a better fit for our team. I don't really know that much about Len other than we are better off with Whiteside as our center.

I have no interest in Carter. I am in favor of Blazers adding a 15th player only if that player is good enough to move ahead of our 11-14th players.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#3 » by Matt800 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:49 pm

My guess is Portland will try and move expirings for guys on longer contracts to try and compete next year, and if that helps for this year as well then that's great. I've heard they don't have a lot of faith in free agents coming, so trading is their best option. Gallinari would be great but I'm not sure POR does it due to his contract expiring.

Aside from health, I think they need more SF depth to be a good team. Which is why I suggested in another thread a trade around Whiteside + pick for Dieng + Covington. And Bazemore for Batum. I think those 3 would really fill out the roster in terms of size, 'two way players', and another playmaker in Batum. I like Whiteside but I don't think he is going to re-sign. Bazemore would be okay for cheap, but Batum is a much better rebounder and playmaker which fits a need. I don't know if Minnesota would do that trade though.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:18 am

I do like the idea of Dieng and Covington, as well.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,867

Post#5 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:14 pm

I would much prefer Dieng and RoCo. But a FRP and expiring isn't near enough. That would take Simons, maybe Little if we threw more value at them as well.

Honestly, I would go this far:

Hassan Whiteside + Nassir Little + 2020 FRP (Top-8 Protected) + 2022 FRP (Top-20 Protected) for Gorgui Dieng + Robert Covington

Then, to recoup that second FRP:

Kent Bazemore for Nicolas Batum + 2022 FRP (Lotto Protected)

G - Damian Lillard / Anfernee Simons
G - CJ McCollum / Rodney Hood
F - Robert Covington / Nicolas Batum / Gary Trent Jr
F - Zach Collins / Carmelo Anthony / Jaylen Hoard
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Gorgui Dieng / 2020 SRP
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:30 pm

I'm not a fan of the Batum trade. There's not much bang for the buck with him anymore and he's got a lot of bucks coming his way.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#7 » by Goldbum » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:58 pm

I’ve been saying the guys I really want at SF are RoCo and T.Craig either guy fits perfectly with our presumed starting lineup next year.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#8 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:27 pm

I'm not a fan of the Batum trade. There's not much bang for the buck with him anymore and he's got a lot of bucks coming his way.

Even with the FRP? I think that trade is an easy win. Batum hasn't scored this year, but he is still a good defender, rebounder and most of all, ballhandler. He would be the 2nd unit facilitator, helping get open shots for the bench scorers and moving the ball quickly, which is an underrated trait of his. And really, if you have Simons / Hood / Melo off the bench, you don't need Batum to score much.

And, in the 2020/21 season he will present teams with a huge expiring contract if someone has a disgruntled star that wants out. We would have a lot of options if we took him on.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Alright, I have more free time so here goes Trader Bob Whitsitt type trade...

Portland Trail Blazers
Trades: Whiteside, Bazemore, Tolliver, Labisserie, Simons, Lotto protected 1st Rd Pick
Receives: Love, Dieng, Covington, Napier

PG Lillard / Napier
SG McCollum / Hood / Trent
SF Melo / Covington / Hoard
PF Collins / Love / Little
_C Nurkic / Dieng / Brown

That's a helluva team!!! How much luxury tax will they have to pay? :D

Minnesota Timberwolves
Trades: Dieng, Covington, Napier, Bell, Lotto protected 1st Rd Pick (Portland)
Receives: Parsons, Tolliver

Cleveland Cavaliers
Trades: Love
Receives: Bazemore, Labissiere, Simons, Bell

Oklahoma City Thunder
Trades: Adams, 2nd Rd Pick
Receives: Whiteside

Atlanta Hawks
Trades: Chandler
Receives: Adams, 2nd Rd Pick (Oklahoma city)

------------------------------

The following is a separate deal because Allen Crabbe cannot be traded with another player.

Minnesota Timberwolves
Trades: Crabbe, Lotta protected 1st Rd Pick (Converts to two 2nd Rd Picks after 2 years)
Receives: Schroeder, Nader

Oklahoma City Thunder
Trades: Adams, Schroeder, Nader
Receives: Crabbe, Lotta protected 1st Rd Pick (Converts to two 2nd Rd Picks after 2 years)

------------------------------

Blazers - They simply get talent

Minnesota - They unload some long-term contracts and get a fairly young PG for the future to pair with Towns. If they wish to have Adams instead of the expiring Chandler contract, Atlanta could be cut out of this deal all together or they simply take Whiteside's expiring contract and the Thunder/Hawks do a separate deal for Adams/Chandler.

Cavaliers - They unload an unhappy Love and his large contract. Is a pick needed considering they get the expiring contract of Bazemore and a few young guys with decent potential?

Thunder[/b] - They unload Adams contract a year early and while they give up a 2nd Rd Pick, they pick up two 2nd Rd Picks which should be even better than their own.

Hawks - They are rumored to be interested in Adams, who would be great at the pick & roll with Young. Having said that, I'm not sure Atlanta is needed in this deal.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
B0naf1d3
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#10 » by B0naf1d3 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:43 pm

I do like a Whiteside for Covington + Dieng base trade with things added. Gets a long term keeper, great fit, & contract in Covington. Dieng can help this year, and gives Portland some trade flexibility in the summer and next year. Minnestoa will have a lot of suitors for Covington, but the Blazers willingness to take on Dieng contract could be tempting. Plus they can add another Blazer coached by Vanterpool in Trent jr.

Whiteside + Trentjr + protected FRP
Covington + Dieng

Keep an eye on the Aaron Gordon situation. I don't think he's in their long term plans. He could play SF on this team, guarding the best 3/4, and slashing/Oreb/energy on offense. Longterm wise he is a 4, but I view Collins at the 5 after the Nurk contract is up. Little seems like he could fit in well there, and he's from the area. Iwundu is a good role player who can do a bit of everything.

Bazemore + Little + protected FRP
Gordon + Iwundu

The Kings are interesting trade partners.

Whiteside + ? + SRP?
Barnes + Holmes/Bjelica

Barnes isn't perfect, but he's shown to fit in culturally and play his role on a winning team. His contract declines $2 million every year, so his last year will be around $18m. The Kings would gladly have someone take the Barnes contract off their hands for an expiring. Holmes/Bjelica are having good years. They each provide something different from each other, but both have similar contracts that expire after next season. So take your pick.

Just to throw in a potential salary shedding trade..This is a 3rd/4th option trade and i'd have to mull it over vs. doing nothing and letting Whiteside + Bazemore contracts expire as it doesn't help with future luxury tax concerns.

Whiteside + Bazemore
Barnes + Dedmon

saves the Blazers almost $9 million and however much in tax. Dedmon obviously wants out, and can play a role similar to the one Dieng would while Nurk is out.

Last but not least...Kevin Love and the Cavs. I'm sure every one is sick of the topic, so am I. He's not a great fit, and that contract is hindering. With that being said, if the Cavs get desperate enough...

Whiteside + Bazemore + Hezonja/Trentjr + 2 SRPs
Love + Thompson

Assuming the Cavs find no takers/no FRP and they turn to expiring contracts and SRPs this is a Love trade I'd actually make.

After reading and going through countless forums, trade threads, etc. & considering the Blazers options, I see these as trades that should be on Olsheys radar and at least worth a phone call.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#11 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:18 pm

There are some thoughts that the 2020 draft being heavy in PG's will be of less interest to teams like
Portland who are settled at PG. One can see teams opting for trades that bring back guys from the
previous 2-3 drafts.

These would be guys like Markkanen from the 2017 draft who haven't broken through (Collins would fit
in this scenario) would be wanted for they are under control on rookie deals. Teams like Portland who
are going to pay max money need more guys on their rookie deals to balance out their roster. Guys like
Covington would likely in the long run be too expensive when up to 80% of the teams cap is tied up
with Dame/CJ.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#12 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Did I just see a deal where we trade for Kevin Love, without moving any long term money, and then proceed to bring him off the bench?
d-train
RealGM

Post#13 » by d-train » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:01 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
PG Lillard / Napier
SG McCollum / Hood / Trent
SF Melo / Covington / Hoard
PF Collins / Love / Little
_C Nurkic / Dieng / Brown

That's a helluva team!!! How much luxury tax will they have to pay? :D

That's a helluva starting lineup. I really want to see what this starting lineup can do.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#14 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:32 pm

Playing Carmelo at Small Forward, especially starting there, would only be a good idea if you want this team to rack up losses and get better ping pong balls.

He hasn't played SF since 16/17 and even then it was a 2-1 split b/t SF and PF.

Metrically he is actually defending PF at age 35 better than he was defending SF for near his entire career, so there is argument he couldn't play Small Forward on both ends even in his prime. I actually wonder how much better his career would have been if he was slotted as a Power Forward since the get go. At least on the defensive end I bet he would have been much better.

That's a helluva starting lineup. I really want to see what this starting lineup can do.

Ya, no improvements needed. We have championship talent.
d-train
RealGM

Post#15 » by d-train » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:12 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Playing Carmelo at Small Forward, especially starting there, would only be a good idea if you want this team to rack up losses and get better ping pong balls.

He hasn't played SF since 16/17 and even then it was a 2-1 split b/t SF and PF.

Metrically he is actually defending PF at age 35 better than he was defending SF for near his entire career, so there is argument he couldn't play Small Forward on both ends even in his prime. I actually wonder how much better his career would have been if he was slotted as a Power Forward since the get go. At least on the defensive end I bet he would have been much better.

Ya, no improvements needed. We have championship talent.

I like Melo's defense better than Hood's. Neither player is especially good at defending a SF/(big) playmaker. At least Melo has toughness and competes. Our only ballhawking defender is Bazemore. We could use more ballhawking defenders, big or small.

Our healthy starting lineup has no good ballhawking defender no matter who you slot at SF, other than Bazemore. However, our starting lineup has 4 great offensive players, especially with Melo. Melo is the best passer on our team. We have playmaking at all 5 positions.

I also like watching most team's fail miserably trying to defend Melo. There is not many teams with 3 scorers capable of getting 20+ good shots regardless of who the defense loads up on. The winning team is the one that scores the most points.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#16 » by Matt800 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:19 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Even with the FRP? I think that trade is an easy win. Batum hasn't scored this year, but he is still a good defender, rebounder and most of all, ballhandler. He would be the 2nd unit facilitator, helping get open shots for the bench scorers and moving the ball quickly, which is an underrated trait of his. And really, if you have Simons / Hood / Melo off the bench, you don't need Batum to score much.

And, in the 2020/21 season he will present teams with a huge expiring contract if someone has a disgruntled star that wants out. We would have a lot of options if we took him on.

The other thing is Batum has been in a mentor role for a not great team. I think that on a better team he could start to show some of his other abilities more. I don't think he would be great, but I could see him being like Turner but potentially better shooting.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#17 » by Goldbum » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:27 am

I feel a Bazemore trade coming on...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:48 am

[quote="BlazersBroncos"]He hasn't played SF since 16/17 and even then it was a 2-1 split b/t SF and PF.
[quote]

Not true. Melo started at SF this season against the Lakers for about 90 seconds until Skal got injured.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#19 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Bazemore and Whiteside are half their contract guys beginning next year.
And neither one looks like long term Blazers given Nurkic, Collins, Little, Hood, and Simons.
So, in any of the TPs, KBEC and HWEC are included as the big $$$ filler with options for the receiving team(s).
IMO, just stating the likely/obvious.
Trent is useful asset filler at a low price with some ceiling. Skal,too.

And when Simons or McCollum or even Little get mentioned, DPs exit the deal (or heavy protection).

These are my basics.
San Antonio and Minnesota look like teams interested in reducing salary and getting DPs.
LMA and Derozan. Dieng and Covington. These are in the ballpark.

2 protected picks going out in the right deal? Yes, that, too.

EDIT POST BAZEMORE TO KINGS TRADE: Ariza as a SF. Crank up those Whiteside trades. We’ll see if the tax bill shrinks even more.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#20 » by Goldbum » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:45 pm

What about a follow up trade like this ?
Whiteside/Herzonja
Lee/Powell/Jackson +2nd rnd pick

Lee gets waived

Return to Portland Trail Blazers