ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Re: OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers) 

Post#1741 » by buckboy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:18 pm

Watched the first episode of You with the wife. Well, that's not really true, she watched the first episode, I watched the first twenty minutes and then went and tinkered with my water heater. That show is..........not good. IMO.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,655

Post#1742 » by StickeeFingaz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:00 am

Read on Twitter

Sucks.
#FreeChuckDiesel
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,949

Post#1743 » by BUCKnation » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:35 am

Potentially no more Watchmen or Mindhunter. Sad day.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#1744 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:46 am

I don't think Lindelof is the only one who can tell the story of Watchmen.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#1745 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:01 pm

Yeah, they'll probably get another person to helm a 2nd season but I'm worried it's gonna feel forced. The best series tend to not overstay their welcome and some of my favorite shows over the last 5 years (Leftovers, Vice Principals, Man in the High Castle) have realized this. Very few series need anything more than 2-3 seasons.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#1746 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah, they'll probably get another person to helm a 2nd season but I'm worried it's gonna feel forced. The best series tend to not overstay their welcome and some of my favorite shows over the last 5 years (Leftovers, Vice Principals, Man in the High Castle) have realized this. Very few series need anything more than 2-3 seasons.

Yep. Ricky Gervais is another one who just seems to know when things have run their course and it's usually after two or three seasons.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,373

Post#1747 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:24 pm

Many British shows have short runs. And each season is short. Peaky Blinders has just 6 per season. They just finished season 5 and are doing 2 more. So when it's done there will be 42 total and that's considered a lot. Fawlty Towers only did 2 for a total of 12 episodes.

I'd rather have too few and wrap things up than having an endless run for $$$ like Walking Dead.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#1748 » by stellation » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:37 pm

I quite like Roy Choi on things- I enjoyed his quiet, considerate but clearly a working chef oddities on The Chef Show and sought out Broken Bread to watch and he's really quite a joy. Seems a genuinely caring, compassionate guy who clearly knows his stuff when it comes to food.

5/5 new TV/web series/whatever cooking personality for me.
#FreeChuckDiesel
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,613

Post#1749 » by blazza18 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:22 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Many British shows have short runs. And each season is short. Peaky Blinders has just 6 per season. They just finished season 5 and are doing 2 more. So when it's done there will be 42 total and that's considered a lot. Fawlty Towers only did 2 for a total of 12 episodes.

Mr Bean only had 15 episodes too and that fact will always amaze me. Felt like I watched 100's over the years.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#1750 » by truly » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 pm

blazza18 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Many British shows have short runs. And each season is short. Peaky Blinders has just 6 per season. They just finished season 5 and are doing 2 more. So when it's done there will be 42 total and that's considered a lot. Fawlty Towers only did 2 for a total of 12 episodes.

Mr Bean only had 15 episodes too and that fact will always amaze me. Felt like I watched 100's over the years.

:eek2: No way it only has 15.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,949

Post#1751 » by BUCKnation » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:05 am

stellation wrote:I quite like Roy Choi on things- I enjoyed his quiet, considerate but clearly a working chef oddities on The Chef Show and sought out Broken Bread to watch and he's really quite a joy. Seems a genuinely caring, compassionate guy who clearly knows his stuff when it comes to food.

5/5 new TV/web series/whatever cooking personality for me.

He's great. He's got a really interesting story on how he came to be a 'famous' chef with his food truck. Basically changed the food truck game in LA with marketing and obviously quality.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#1752 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:02 pm

Go see Just Mercy. It's really good.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#1753 » by chuckleslove » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:20 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah, they'll probably get another person to helm a 2nd season but I'm worried it's gonna feel forced. The best series tend to not overstay their welcome and some of my favorite shows over the last 5 years (Leftovers, Vice Principals, Man in the High Castle) have realized this. Very few series need anything more than 2-3 seasons.

Yep. Ricky Gervais is another one who just seems to know when things have run their course and it's usually after two or three seasons.

2 seasons and a Christmas special, the Gervais formula.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1754 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:32 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Medical Police is funny. I'd never watched a second of Children's Hospital before so I fell down that rabbit hole last night.

Made it through 1.5 episodes and I loved Children's Hospital.

I did get through 5 episodes of Letterkenny though. Wow....love it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1755 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:14 pm

The Outsider.....I'm all in. I don't think it's not going to totally satisfy people that are either into crime procedurals or people that are into Steven King supernatural stuff. It kind of fits in between those genres. Interested to see where it goes. I love the cinematography.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#1756 » by DingleJerry » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:26 pm

buckboy wrote:Watched the first episode of You with the wife. Well, that's not really true, she watched the first episode, I watched the first twenty minutes and then went and tinkered with my water heater. That show is..........not good. IMO.

Glad you gave it an honest chance, haha.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#1757 » by buckboy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:16 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
buckboy wrote:Watched the first episode of You with the wife. Well, that's not really true, she watched the first episode, I watched the first twenty minutes and then went and tinkered with my water heater. That show is..........not good. IMO.

Glad you gave it an honest chance, haha.

Well I was mentally checked out after about 8 minutes, so I feel like I kinda did.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
buckboy
RealGM

Post#1758 » by buckboy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:17 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:The Outsider.....I'm all in. I don't think it's not going to totally satisfy people that are either into crime procedurals or people that are into Steven King supernatural stuff. It kind of fits in between those genres. Interested to see where it goes. I love the cinematography.

Really beautifully shot. And great music. Really impressed with the series even though I've read the book and know where it's going. A lot of King stuff is so horribly adapted. This definitely doesn't fall into that category.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#1759 » by emunney » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:58 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I don't think Lindelof is the only one who can tell the story of Watchmen.

Alan Moore agrees, but he ain't doing it. Big part of taking on Watchmen is having the guts to carry the mantle of not only the iconic comic but also now a great season of TV. Lindelof is one of the best TV producers and a lifelong Watchmen fan. He'd been approached to do it multiple times in the past and turned it down.

I guess one question is whether it's easier or harder to do a season 2 now that there's a great season 1--is the "ice broken" or is it a "tough act to follow"? Another is are there any other huge comic fans with sufficient TV pedigree? Brian K. Vaughan is another LOST alum. Joss Whedon would probably be a popular candidate. I'm sure there are people who can put up a passable Watchmen season but I don't think any of them combine the mastery of the medium with the affection for Watchmen like Lindelof does. People have been trying to do more Watchmen for 30 years and this is the first time it's really been done well.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#1760 » by emunney » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:17 pm

I don't have a problem with HBO soliciting people to do a season 2 but their best bet is probably waiting to see if the inspiration lightning strikes Lindelof again.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts

Return to Milwaukee Bucks