PJ Dozier

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

PJ Dozier 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:50 pm

He has been lighting up the G-League and in his Nuggets debut, he scored 12 points in 13 minutes. That's impressive.

6'5" with a wing span of 6'11" he is definitely long and seems like a very good defender.

Murray, Harris, Morris, Beasley, Dozier, Barton; that's an impressive group of guards.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Re: PJ Dozier 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:06 am

If Dozier has games like last night, Beasley may want to see if that $30M extension is still on the table..... and the Nuggets may want to hit the phones.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#3 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:11 am

skywalker33 wrote:If Dozier has games like last night, Beasley may want to see if that $30M extension is still on the table..... and the Nuggets may want to hit the phones.

Guessing both Nuggets read my post, Beasley WANTS to stay in DEN...or get paid !! PJ on the roster until we get some healthy players back, he seemed like he was pressing tonight...and got pulled for it.

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#4 » by TunaFish » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 389

Post#5 » by Manolito » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:57 pm

Dozier is clearly Craig replacement...5 years younger and with higher upside.

The problem is I am not sure how effective he could be guarding LeBron, Kawhi or Luka, who are actually the biggest thread in the conference and all play in the same position.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#6 » by Richard Miller » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:43 pm

Jokic said it best, "I don't care about the Lakers". Work hard and focus on their own improvement, not what the other team is doing. Depending on the standings/draws, who knows who are they going to play. At the beginning of the last season, I'm pretty sure nobody was thinking "how are they going to guard Mitchell".
FilNugsFan
Sophomore
And1: 255

Post#7 » by FilNugsFan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:53 am

Looks like the Craig replacement is going to be between Dozier and Whittington. Either way, I think they both can be a better role player for us than Craig was.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#8 » by The Rebel » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:07 am

Manolito wrote:Dozier is clearly Craig replacement...5 years younger and with higher upside.

The problem is I am not sure how effective he could be guarding LeBron, Kawhi or Luka, who are actually the biggest thread in the conference and all play in the same position.

Craig wasn't effective against Lebron, Kawhi, or Luka, he was best against guards, especially undersized PGs. Harris is very effective against Kawhi and Luka, but Lebron is just too big. Grant guarded those guys well, he is the guy we will miss if MPJ and some of the other forwards don't step up.

Dozier is long and lanky, so he looks smaller than Craig, but he is actually taller (Dozier measured 6'7 in shoes Craig measured 6'5.5" in shoes at the combine) and has long arms. He is also quicker, and looks like a good defender in the bubble, so he should be fine replacing Craig. Plus he is a lot more competent on offense.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by The Rebel » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:10 am

Richard Miller wrote:Jokic said it best, "I don't care about the Lakers". Work hard and focus on their own improvement, not what the other team is doing. Depending on the standings/draws, who knows who are they going to play. At the beginning of the last season, I'm pretty sure nobody was thinking "how are they going to guard Mitchell".

The Rockets were built to beat the Warriors, the Clippers to beat the Lakers, we all saw how that worked out. You have to be play your own way, and find advantages against all the teams, otherwise you end up against the wrong team in the playoffs.
skywalker33

Post#10 » by skywalker33 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:14 am

Manolito wrote:Dozier is clearly Craig replacement...5 years younger and with higher upside.

There are very few players who can shut down those players, Craig certainly did his best but didn't shut any of them down. LBJ is gonna be 36 this season, time will start shutting him down little by little, Kahwi may be distracted by the LAC performance last year (wishful thinking ?), and Luka, he's young, up-coming, and talented so just make him work it on the other end, best anyone can do.

Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#11 » by Mac1958 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:27 pm

Does anyone think Dozier is a potential threat to start ahead of Harris?
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#12 » by TunaFish » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:03 pm

Mac1958 wrote:Does anyone think Dozier is a potential threat to start ahead of Harris?

I don't and I doubt anyone on this board does. However, that does not mean he won't get minutes. It's too soon to figure out what Malone has in mind.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by The Rebel » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Mac1958 wrote:Does anyone think Dozier is a potential threat to start ahead of Harris?

If anybody starts ahead of Harris it will be Barton, but with the reports that Harris has his shooting back than I doubt Barton unseats him.
skywalker33

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:25 pm

If Malone is to be believed, Dozier will need to get some PT this season. If he shows as much development as he did last year, he's gonna push someone to the trade deadline. MVP of training camp but is it enough for Malone to follow thru and get him off the bench

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#15 » by THE J0KER » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:50 am

The Rebel wrote:

If anybody starts ahead of Harris it will be Barton, but with the reports that Harris has his shooting back than I doubt Barton unseats him.

Barton didn't play the last 9 months, so even if his starting role is Malone intention, it would be shocking if that happens already in the first three weeks of this season.

What can increase PJ playing time is 3-guards rotations during the 2nd unit time where PJ will be temporally used as SF.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,530

Post#16 » by Alatan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Not yet but if Harris doesnt get his offense back and Dozier continues improving i think he could be our starting 2 guard.
skywalker33

Post#17 » by skywalker33 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:24 am

Alatan wrote:

Not yet but if Harris doesnt get his offense back and Dozier continues improving i think he could be our starting 2 guard.

I'll bet Hampton starts before Dozier does.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#18 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:55 pm

Dozier looks like he can play PG, SG, SF; although he'll struggle on defense against a few of the larger SFs. But he's going to have to really prove his wing skills in order to play. At PG, he's behind Murray and Morris for sure; and if the first game was any indication, Campazzo might be ahead of him too.

I don't see him starting at either wing slot, but if his defense is adequate, he should get some backup minutes on the wings.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#19 » by TunaFish » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:31 pm

Dozier played real well last night, 15 pts, 6 reb, 3 ast in 17 minutes.
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#20 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:41 pm

U hova wrote:Sometimes I think we'd be better off if Michael Malone personally suited up and did squats at the logo as our 5th guy instead of giving Dozier any minutes.

What do you guys think?
The Rebel wrote:I think Dozier is a good player when he isn't being asked to play PF. The guy is a PG still learning how to play off the ball, but is great as the 9th man type that can play 15 mpg at 1-3.
NuggetsWY wrote:I like Dozier's game. He's a PG that is actually able to play some SG and even SF. I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter, but I love him off the bench. If he is a starter some day, I wouldn't be shocked.

Since we already have a Dozier-thread, I'm locking this one.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1930359
Duplicate Dozier thread is removed, so we can bump (continue) new discussion here.

Personally, I like PJD improvement and transition this season from "G-League Westbrook" into a more efficient NBA role player, and he surprised positively me with his ability to play decent as SF, but already famous Malone's 4-guard rotations where Dozier or Barton playing PF is just not a good idea... Green, Bol, Nnaji with their natural skillset better suits in PF role, and we have better PG/playmakers than Dozier, so he should be used for SG/SF duties (only).

Return to Denver Nuggets