Hall Of Fame Misses

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Re: Hall Of Fame Misses 

Post#41 » by goober » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:29 am

I was super mad the Jazz drafted Burke over MCW, thought he would be a better version of Rubio. I actually think MCW is worse than burke now? But both are pretty bad
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#42 » by Marcus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm

ZemGOAT wrote:I'm still holding on Jahlil :(

lol. he's a serviceable 1st option on the 2nd unit with the way the game has changed. I think he could ride that out for a few seasons. Don't feel bad about Jah.

I got one more year to hold on to my Josh Jackson love before i have to concede that miss. I'm clinging to a change in environment being exactly what he needed lol. Fingers crossed.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#43 » by The_Hater » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:06 am

Marcus wrote:

lol. he's a serviceable 1st option on the 2nd unit with the way the game has changed. I think he could ride that out for a few seasons. Don't feel bad about Jah.

IDK. Okafor’s main issue has always been that his team gets killed whenever he’s on the floor, and last season he was -115 in about 900 minutes of action. That’s a little better than previous seasons but still terrible.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by Marcus » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:14 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Marcus wrote:

IDK. Okafor’s main issue has always been that his team gets killed whenever he’s on the floor, and last season he was -115 in about 900 minutes of action. That’s a little better than previous seasons but still terrible.

Oh in terms of defensive impact he won't have any in today's NBA. I'm talking strictly as a guy that can feast on second unit defenders and give some semblance of gravitational pull if you have shooters around him. I'd abuse a Darius Miller entry pass to Jah with a kick out to Darius (if Jah is cooking) for that clean look all day. But yeah you'd have to live with the other end with Jah.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#45 » by skiz2 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:41 pm

My all time from 2005 on:

2005: Rashad McCants I thought could be a top 5 scorer in the league. Had full faith in him getting his head right. I was 14 at the time and tried to pick a fight with Jonathan GIvony on this board when he posted. If you still lurk Jonathan, accept my apology and know that I was stupid and immature.
2006: I thought Tyrus Thomas would make a few all-star games. Man the guy was a freak. Ultimately his skill just never caught up.
2007: I thought Brandan Wright would have a career like Chris Bosh. I still wonder how his trajectory would have been different had he not played for Don Nelson and avoided injuries. That being said, his archetype ironically started to die out with fellow draftee Kevin Durant.
2008: I thought Jerryd Bayless was a steal, LMAO. Thought he could be a more athletic Ben Gordon (who at the time was killing it in Chicago). Also thought Beasley was too talented to not be another Carmelo Anthony. In that same breath, I thought DJ Agustin would be out of the league quick.
2009: I liked Thabeet a lot. Thought he would be a monster. I also thought Earl Clark was going to be Lamar Odom part II.
2010: I honestly contemplated Evan Turner as being a better prospect than John Wall.
2011: Jimmer, enough said. Thought he would be a nice gunner off the bench.
2012: I thought Harrison Barnes would have been a borderline all-star type guy, ultimately his hips never became flexible enough to consistently get by guys. I also thought Tony Wroten was a steal in the late first round. Whatever happened to him?
2013: Oddly enough as a UNC fan I thought Reggie Bullock would not be in the league long. I have been pleasantly surprised by the role he has carved out for himself. I thought Shane Larkin had some of the same qualities Ty Lawson did and would stick around the league for a while.
2014: I was super high on Jabari Parker being a superstar. He is reviving his career in Atlanta right now, I don't think he will ever be the superstar some of us thought. I also thought PJ Hairston was a huge steal. Some of my guys at UNC were telling me they had never seen practices like they did with PJ when he was practicing while suspended. He was dropping 50+ point games in the D-league, and had come off a season where he had unconcious games. Thought he would be a tier below what Bradley Beal is.
2015: I thought Rashad Vaughn would be a multiyear starter and ultimate glue player, ala Danny Green. I know this is not a hit category, but I got Pat Connoughton 100% right, knew he would be a solid role player. I thought Stanley Johnson would be an all-star. I thought Mudiay would be an all-star as well.
2016: I really really liked Kris Dunn after seeing him play my Heels in the NCAA tournament. I thought he would be a dynamic powerful guard just like I thought Mudiay would. I thought Jamal Murray was overrated, taken way too high, did not think he had the strength or ball skills to be a 1.
2017: The closer I get on the list, the more I see that I suck at scouting guards haha. I thought Dennis Smith would be the best player from the draft and a perennial all-star.
2018: Still more to see to be definitive, but I did think Bamba would contribute more than he did.
2019: To be determined, but so far looks like I am eating a bit of crow on Nas Little. He may contribute more in a few years, thought he would at least get off the bench this season though.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by Marcus » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:36 pm

skiz2 wrote:My all time from 2005 on:

2005: Rashad McCants I thought could be a top 5 scorer in the league. Had full faith in him getting his head right. I was 14 at the time and tried to pick a fight with Jonathan GIvony on this board when he posted. If you still lurk Jonathan, accept my apology and know that I was stupid and immature.
2006: I thought Tyrus Thomas would make a few all-star games. Man the guy was a freak. Ultimately his skill just never caught up.
2007: I thought Brandan Wright would have a career like Chris Bosh. I still wonder how his trajectory would have been different had he not played for Don Nelson and avoided injuries. That being said, his archetype ironically started to die out with fellow draftee Kevin Durant.
2008: I thought Jerryd Bayless was a steal, LMAO. Thought he could be a more athletic Ben Gordon (who at the time was killing it in Chicago). Also thought Beasley was too talented to not be another Carmelo Anthony. In that same breath, I thought DJ Agustin would be out of the league quick.
2009: I liked Thabeet a lot. Thought he would be a monster. I also thought Earl Clark was going to be Lamar Odom part II.
2010: I honestly contemplated Evan Turner as being a better prospect than John Wall.
2012: I thought Harrison Barnes would have been a borderline all-star type guy, ultimately his hips never became flexible enough to consistently get by guys. I also thought Tony Wroten was a steal in the late first round. Whatever happened to him?
2013: Oddly enough as a UNC fan I thought Reggie Bullock would not be in the league long. I have been pleasantly surprised by the role he has carved out for himself. I thought Shane Larkin had some of the same qualities Ty Lawson did and would stick around the league for a while.
2014: I was super high on Jabari Parker being a superstar. He is reviving his career in Atlanta right now, I don't think he will ever be the superstar some of us thought. I also thought PJ Hairston was a huge steal. Some of my guys at UNC were telling me they had never seen practices like they did with PJ when he was practicing while suspended. He was dropping 50+ point games in the D-league, and had come off a season where he had unconcious games. Thought he would be a tier below what Bradley Beal is.
2015: I thought Rashad Vaughn would be a multiyear starter and ultimate glue player, ala Danny Green. I know this is not a hit category, but I got Pat Connoughton 100% right, knew he would be a solid role player. I thought Stanley Johnson would be an all-star. I thought Mudiay would be an all-star as well.
2016: I really really liked Kris Dunn after seeing him play my Heels in the NCAA tournament. I thought he would be a dynamic powerful guard just like I thought Mudiay would. I thought Jamal Murray was overrated, taken way too high, did not think he had the strength or ball skills to be a 1.
2017: The closer I get on the list, the more I see that I suck at scouting guards haha. I thought Dennis Smith would be the best player from the draft and a perennial all-star.
2018: Still more to see to be definitive, but I did think Bamba would contribute more than he did.
2019: To be determined, but so far looks like I am eating a bit of crow on Nas Little. He may contribute more in a few years, thought he would at least get off the bench this season though.

this was brave sir. Very very brave.

btw Bari, Mudiay, and Vaughn i was right there with you on. DSJ as well but i'm still holding hope on him and Josh Jackson.
Watch More Basketball

skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#47 » by skiz2 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:53 pm

Marcus wrote:
skiz2 wrote:My all time from 2005 on:

this was brave sir. Very very brave.

btw Bari, Mudiay, and Vaughn i was right there with you on. DSJ as well but i'm still holding hope on him and Josh Jackson.

Might as well own my stupid predictions haha. I want to encourage people to laugh at themselves a little bit and maybe learn.
anthony00
Analyst
And1: 1,514

Post#48 » by anthony00 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Fults, Jackson, Johnson
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#49 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:55 pm

anthony00 wrote:Fults, Jackson, Johnson

Johnson?
Watch More Basketball

anthony00
Analyst

Post#50 » by anthony00 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:33 pm

Marcus wrote:

Johnson?

Stanley johnson
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#51 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 pm

anthony00 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Johnson?

Stanley johnson

ahhhh. Raptors now right?
Watch More Basketball

anthony00
Analyst

Post#52 » by anthony00 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:41 pm

Marcus wrote:
anthony00 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Johnson?

Stanley johnson

ahhhh. Raptors now right?

correct
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#53 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Fred Van Vleet - I remember saying there's no way he's more than a 5th guard on a decent NBA team, and here he is averaging 18.5 points and 7.7 assists a game for one of the best teams in the NBA - a year after being a significant part of their NBA Championship team.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,576

Bad aging 

Post#54 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Dec 4, 2019 3:18 pm

Wow, very few comments aged worse than this one! :-D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1369376&hilit=doncic&start=640

jrob23 wrote:another one who is full of it. Ntlikina is a top prospect for a reason. He'll be a better NBA player than Doncic, probably by a long shot too

That was the first thread about Doncic, started in 2015. Too bad it was locked, really worth looking at it.
Слава Украине!
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,745

Post#55 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Another center I got dead wrong is Bam Adebayo. I thought hes Tyrus Thomas, even at late lottery I called him bust, man he became on of my favorite bigs and future all star.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Re: Bad aging 

Post#56 » by TKainZero » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:07 am

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Wow, very few comments aged worse than this one! :-D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1369376&hilit=doncic&start=640

jrob23 wrote:another one who is full of it. Ntlikina is a top prospect for a reason. He'll be a better NBA player than Doncic, probably by a long shot too

That was the first thread about Doncic, started in 2015. Too bad it was locked, really worth looking at it.

Thank you for finding that thread.
I remember it being absolutely epic, and for years, and years.

I remember all the arguments about how Luka is/isn’t a PG
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,654

Post#57 » by Roger Murdock » Thu Feb 6, 2020 4:22 am

Looking back since I followed a lot:
2007 - Oden for obvious reasons. I liked AC Law and he sucked. Overall I think I had a good feel for this draft.

2008 - I was absolutely huge on Beasley and thought he was a no brainer #1 and future MVP candidate. Probably my biggest overall miss. Did not like Westbrook. Liked Joe Alexander and Jared Bayless.

2009 - I also had a good feel for this one. HATED Thabeet. Loved Curry. Overlooked Harden for sure though. Really liked Derozan too.

2010 - I loved Evan Turner and he's been nothing special. I wouldn't have taken Cousins that high. Did not like Wes Johnson and that was right.

2011 - Was not happy Cavs took TT. Really wanted JV. Liked Biyombo and Burks a lot. Did not believe in Kemba.

2012 - I really liked T Rob and he blows.

2013 - I didnt really like anyone

After that Cavs had LeBron and no draft picks so I didnt follow.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#58 » by Little Digger » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Anthony Edwards will be an epic bust ..Guaranteed

a lazier Isiah Rider
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,745

Post#59 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 3, 2020 5:22 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:I thought Steph Curry didn't have the athleticism or PG skills to be more than an explosive scoring guard like Lou Williams or something. I severely underrated his 3 point shooting, by merely thinking he would be one of the best 3 point shooters in league history. :rofl:

Same.

I was LIVID the Warriors took him over Brandon Jennings...something my brothers will never let me live down.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#60 » by HotelVitale » Fri Apr 3, 2020 6:52 pm

skiz2 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
skiz2 wrote:My all time from 2005 on: 2005: Rashad McCants I thought could be a top 5 scorer in the league. Had full faith in him getting his head right. I was 14 at the time and tried to pick a fight with Jonathan GIvony on this board when he posted. If you still lurk Jonathan, accept my apology and know that I was stupid and immature.
2018: Still more to see to be definitive, but I did think Bamba would contribute more than he did. 2019: To be determined, but so far looks like I am eating a bit of crow on Nas Little. He may contribute more in a few years, thought he would at least get off the bench this season though.
this was brave sir. Very very brave. btw Bari, Mudiay, and Vaughn i was right there with you on. DSJ as well but i'm still holding hope on him and Josh Jackson.
Might as well own my stupid predictions haha. I want to encourage people to laugh at themselves a little bit and maybe learn.

Most of them aren't "stupid," though, they were good gambles that didn't end up working out--because gambles don't always work out. My least favorite thing about these boards is judging FO's and GM's based on outcome rather than on how they made moves/decisions made at the time. There's definitely some skill to drafting but most teams are totally competent at it, and in any case picking randomly has about as good an outcome. The stuff people usually give teams credit for has nothing to do with any real skill, and there was literally zero way to know, for example, that McCants couldn't stick in the league (or that Felton and May wouldn't amount to much either). Or even better that Steph Curry was definitely better than Brandon Jennings: we could all see that both definitely had skills and abilities that would allow them to be extremely good in the NBA, and we know they'd succeeded at high levels and had good work ethics, mentalities etc. And both had some liabilities as players (notably size for both, plus other things like PG skills for Curry and shooting for BJ) that prevented them from being sure things. What set them apart in the end was just a lot of little mental and physical things that stand between a player being able to do their thing in the college or overseas level and doing it at the NBA level. Those things just aren't knowable because they're small, dynamic/fluid, and incredibly difficult, and there's no way to know who can bang in an NBA environment until it's happening (and been happening for a few years). And of course the ability to develop new skills is a total unknown. There's a conversation to be had about taking credit and blame for bad picks, but I feel like most of your busts were solid choices that just didn't make transition that so many before haven't made.

Return to NBA Draft