ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1241 » by Vae Victus » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:47 am

Buyout reclamation targets are pretty simple.

PG targets
1. Collison (however getting him might be tough if he wants a guaranteed starting spot that LAL can easily give)
2. Lin (when CBA season is done, he's shooting the 3pt well again, so he can be a servicable backup to PatBev and provide some playmaking too)

Wing target
1. Iggy (if only to deny him to LAL)
Otherwise im pretty happy with rolling with the youth backing up Kawhi/PG13

Big men
I'd focus on targeting whatever available stretch bigs that get bought out or their seasons in Europe/CBA are over and try to go grab em. Neither Zubac or Harrell can stretch the floor so adding 3rd string stretch 5 can offer a different look/tool when needed. I was hoping Kabengele would fulfill this role later in the season, but he's still a major work in progress.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#1242 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:49 am

Noah Vonleh is my sleeper choice. He’s playing behind KAT,and Dieng at C, and Layman and Covington at PF. Layman will be coming backrom injury soon; Vonleh will be even more of a fifth wheel He can play both frontcourt positions, is a plus defender, and has some range. He’s got enough size (6’10”, 250, 7’4” wingspan) to bang with true Cs. He’s still young enough some that a bit more growth isn’t out of the question. Before the Teague trade, I was kinda thinking about a Moe/Zu/Rome for Teague/Vonleh swap and how that would be great for both teams, especially if the T-Wolves trade out Covington. Teague’s gone now, but I’d still be thinking about Vonleh. He’s the type of player that could help us now and in the future.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#1243 » by donemilio21 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:57 am

Portland made a move today, they clearly want to get below tax and maybe realizing they will not make playoffs this year.

How about Hassan Whiteside? He is on an expiring contract, he cannot stretch the floor but he can be a defensive anchor for the team. Dude is averaging 14 rebounds and almost 3 blocks a game.
Zubac, Harkless, Jerome, Mann for Whiteside works salary wise, we get our big man that we need to slow down AD in a playoff matchup, Portland gets 2 young players, a back up for Nurkic on a cheap contract and shed $5m salary.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#1244 » by esqtvd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:12 am

donemilio21 wrote:Portland made a move today, they clearly want to get below tax and maybe realizing they will not make playoffs this year.

How about Hassan Whiteside? He is on an expiring contract, he cannot stretch the floor but he can be a defensive anchor for the team. Dude is averaging 14 rebounds and almost 3 blocks a game.
Zubac, Harkless, Jerome, Mann for Whiteside works salary wise, we get our big man that we need to slow down AD in a playoff matchup, Portland gets 2 young players, a back up for Nurkic on a cheap contract and shed $5m salary.

I like it in theory but Whiteside is all wrong in the brain. And the Kings want to dump internet chatboard darling Dewayne Dedmon. Same deal.

Ballmer's Clippers have a No Jerk Rule, as do most successful organizations.

TrueLAFan's idea I like. Dunno if I want to include Zubac but yes, you gotta be willing to include Mann and Fi too, who are not even NBA players at this point. [Contrary to popular belief, I don't hate Zubac. I just don't like the idea of handing him Trezz's well-earned minutes.]

TrueLAfan wrote:Noah Vonleh is my sleeper choice. He’s playing behind KAT,and Dieng at C, and Layman and Covington at PF. Layman will be coming backrom injury soon; Vonleh will be even more of a fifth wheel He can play both frontcourt positions, is a plus defender, and has some range. He’s got enough size (6’10”, 250, 7’4” wingspan) to bang with true Cs. He’s still young enough some that a bit more growth isn’t out of the question. Before the Teague trade, I was kinda thinking about a Moe/Zu/Rome for Teague/Vonleh swap and how that would be great for both teams, especially if the T-Wolves trade out Covington. Teague’s gone now, but I’d still be thinking about Vonleh. He’s the type of player that could help us now and in the future.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1245 » by esqtvd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:25 am

MartinRiggs wrote:Green had 6-3 2/5 shooting against Pels,and 11-13 3/7 vs Magic but he also had 4/4 FT, so Mr. Green mix your game up. :)

If Doc were still in charge we'd trade JaMychal Green and sign Jeff Green. And probably nobody would notice the difference.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#1246 » by donemilio21 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:30 pm

esqtvd wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:Portland made a move today, they clearly want to get below tax and maybe realizing they will not make playoffs this year.

I like it in theory but Whiteside is all wrong in the brain. And the Kings want to dump internet chatboard darling Dewayne Dedmon. Same deal.

Ballmer's Clippers have a No Jerk Rule, as do most successful organizations.

TrueLAFan's idea I like. Dunno if I want to include Zubac but yes, you gotta be willing to include Mann and Fi too, who are not even NBA players at this point. [Contrary to popular belief, I don't hate Zubac. I just don't like the idea of handing him Trezz's well-earned minutes.]

TrueLAfan wrote:Noah Vonleh is my sleeper choice. He’s playing behind KAT,and Dieng at C, and Layman and Covington at PF. Layman will be coming backrom injury soon; Vonleh will be even more of a fifth wheel He can play both frontcourt positions, is a plus defender, and has some range. He’s got enough size (6’10”, 250, 7’4” wingspan) to bang with true Cs. He’s still young enough some that a bit more growth isn’t out of the question. Before the Teague trade, I was kinda thinking about a Moe/Zu/Rome for Teague/Vonleh swap and how that would be great for both teams, especially if the T-Wolves trade out Covington. Teague’s gone now, but I’d still be thinking about Vonleh. He’s the type of player that could help us now and in the future.

I agree with that sentiment, but we may want to think how we are going to match up with playoff opponents in a 7 game series.
I think both Denver and Lakers are ahead of us mainly due to existence of AD and Jokic. While not many teams can come up with a solution for those guys, they also do not have to worry about winning a championship. I think our perimeter defense would be good once Bev, PG and Kawhi are playing together, but our interior defense and rebounding is a big weakness.

I hardly ever get to watch Vonleh, so cant comment on that. As for Dedmon, meh, he wont be an improvement.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#1247 » by Young Sterling » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:37 pm

You can't undervalue guys like Whiteside or Dedmon, simply because they're playing on ass-tastic teams. Whiteside was also on a bad heats squad. Whiteside has monster defensive potential, and putting him in a take no prisoners defensive team like ours would really complement and bring out his game. Dwight howard on bad teams was forgotten about, but on a good team he has everyone's attention now.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#1248 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:47 pm

Young Sterling wrote:You can't undervalue guys like Whiteside or Dedmon, simply because they're playing on ass-tastic teams. Whiteside was also on a bad heats squad. Whiteside has monster defensive potential, and putting him in a take no prisoners defensive team like ours would really complement and bring out his game. Dwight howard on bad teams was forgotten about, but on a good team he has everyone's attention now.

Whiteside is known for being lazy and having a bad attitude. Anyone thinking that a better team culture will fix him is crazy. The Heat have one of the best cultures in the league and they couldn't wait to get rid of him.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#1249 » by Young Sterling » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:02 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:You can't undervalue guys like Whiteside or Dedmon, simply because they're playing on ass-tastic teams. Whiteside was also on a bad heats squad. Whiteside has monster defensive potential, and putting him in a take no prisoners defensive team like ours would really complement and bring out his game. Dwight howard on bad teams was forgotten about, but on a good team he has everyone's attention now.

Whiteside is known for being lazy and having a bad attitude. Anyone thinking that a better team culture will fix him is crazy. The Heat have one of the best cultures in the league and they couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Yeah I mean sometimes you have to drown out the noise of what the media tells you about someone. In the NBA narratives just HAVE to be created by guys who have rudimentary knowledge of basketball, and unfortunately ppl don't just listen, they internalize it. This is a guy who's had games of 10 blocks + several times. Now he's playing on a team with defensive liabilities in Dame, CJ, Melo, Tolliver or whoever else they put out there. He still had a 10 block game this season, he's not lazy. He makes defensive mistakes and that's an IQ/coaching thing, but we have the staff to fix that. Imagine him on a team like ours where he doesn't have to cover for the entire team's defensive shortcomings, but his teammates make his job easier and vice versa. Just think about all the guys who got a bad rap in the media for whatever reason and proved different elsewhere.

Jimmy Butler, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul on the Rockets, Javale McGee (out of the league until Warriors used him right, but that's what SMART orgs do. They see past the noise and utilize the talent properly) just to name a few recent ones. The list goes on.

Dedmon was a hot commodity in FA and now that he's in SAC barely getting playing time, it's him who's under performing. Earlier I was talking about how great Favors was and would be for us, and some ppl knocked the idea here. Now look at him when he's surrounded by the right pieces. Heck imagine him surrounded by OUR right pieces.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#1250 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:20 pm

Again, I default to Whiteside's time with the Heat - a team that has one of the all-time greatest basketball minds in charge (Riley), an elite coach (Spo), and a great culture built around hard work and toughness, and they couldn't wait to get rid of Whiteside because he was such a diva there.

To put things in perspective, even Jimmy Butler isn't causing constant drama like he usually does now that he's on the Heat, but Whiteside was often in the headlines for negative reasons while he was there.

No question, Whiteside can be an excellent defender and rebounder when he's focused, but that's always been the issue with him, his effort level has never been consistent.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#1251 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 pm

To me, it’s not a matter of undervaluing guys like Dedmon and Whiteside. It’s that, like it or not, Trezz plays almost all of his time at the 5—and that leaves us with 18-20 minutes, maybe, to cover at the 5 *if* we choose to move Zu. We’ve played 43 games; 2069 minutes. Trezz and Zu have played over 1950 minutes—with Trezz playing 1200 of those minutes. Some of the rest of the time, those matchups are small Cs so Zu isn’t ideal, but still .... what we really need is a 15-20 mpg PF/C that has enough size to play against big Cs, can rim protect a little bit, and has range. It’s kind of a tall order. But the big thing is the 15-20 mpg player thing. Dedmon and Whiteside are starters; they’re 30 mpg players that don’t play at PF. Okay, Dedmon is a 15 mpg player this season—but he’s playing like ass. And neither Dedmon nor Whiteside can play at the 4. They wouldn't give us the upgrade we want/need for what we'd give up.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1252 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:32 am

3 years/$40M

not just a blind date
you're marrying the guy

Read on Twitter
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#1253 » by donemilio21 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 am

esqtvd wrote:3 years/$40M

not just a blind date
you're marrying the guy

Read on Twitter

That's precisely why I wouldn't want to commit to Dedmon. However, Whiteside is on an expiring contract.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#1254 » by donemilio21 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:05 am

TrueLAfan wrote:

To me, it’s not a matter of undervaluing guys like Dedmon and Whiteside. It’s that, like it or not, Trezz plays almost all of his time at the 5—and that leaves us with 18-20 minutes, maybe, to cover at the 5 *if* we choose to move Zu. We’ve played 43 games; 2069 minutes. Trezz and Zu have played over 1950 minutes—with Trezz playing 1200 of those minutes. Some of the rest of the time, those matchups are small Cs so Zu isn’t ideal, but still .... what we really need is a 15-20 mpg PF/C that has enough size to play against big Cs, can rim protect a little bit, and has range. It’s kind of a tall order. But the big thing is the 15-20 mpg player thing. Dedmon and Whiteside are starters; they’re 30 mpg players that don’t play at PF. Okay, Dedmon is a 15 mpg player this season—but he’s playing like ass. And neither Dedmon nor Whiteside can play at the 4. They wouldn't give us the upgrade we want/need for what we'd give up.

That is a pretty good point. I guess the question is can Doc still give Trezz 25-30mpg while playing someone like Whiteside 25-30 at Center? I actually think Lou, Shamet, PG, Trezz, Whiteside, or a combination of Lou + 2 guards + Trezz and Whiteside 10 or so minutes a game would be good lineup. Especially on games Kawhi is resting, and there should be another 8-12 of those between now and playoffs.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1255 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:55 am

just get us a stretch 4-5 and we're gold
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#1256 » by Vae Victus » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:47 am

Trading Harkless + filler for Dedmon + decent young prospect isnt a bad idea assuming the Logo can pry a gem out of the SAC muck.

Dedmon DOES bring a skillset that Zubac/Harrell lack, which is 3pt shooting, while still being stout enough to not be completely useless on D. At least he showed he wasnt completely useless on D last year with ATL, but this year has been brutal.

Obviously the Clippers need to be compensated for taking the risk on Dedmon and his remaining deal, so SAC needs to cough up a good young player. Hmm maybe see if the Clips can grab Bogdan?

Something like Harkless + JRobinson for Dedmon + Bogdan? SAC gets a cost controlled young player for Bogdan who theyre not sure if theyre gonna extend, as well as purging Dedmon's contract after the year.

Hmm.... this is an interesting win now move, since Dedmon can shoot 3s, he can share the floor with Harrell.

C - Zubac, Harrell, Dedmon
PF- JaMychal, Dedmon, PatSquared
SF- Kawhi, Bogdan, MacGruder
SG- PG13, Lou Will
PG- PatBev, Shamet

This trade idea intrigues me... it's a hardcore win now move, willing to pay lux taxes damn the costs, especially if the team re-signs Harrell and Bogdan.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1257 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:53 am

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1258 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:29 am

Eric Pincus:

CP3!!

“The Clippers could get most of the way to Paul’s $38.5 million with Beverley and Harkless. At a minimum, they’d need to include a couple more players, such as Jerome Robinson and [Rodney] McGruder. The Thunder might have interest in [Montrezl] Harrell or [Ivica] Zubac, but as noted, the Clippers need to add inside, not subtract. Stranger things have happened. A core of Paul, George and Leonard would be tremendous both offensively and defensively. Paul would be a bold move. Do the Clippers want to pay a 34-year-old guard—one they have a history with—given the $85.6 million he’s due for the next two seasons?”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871835-how-aggressive-should-la-clippers-be-at-the-nba-trade-deadline
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#1259 » by MartinRiggs » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:43 pm

Morris,Drummond,Adams,a lot of options. CP3 is just too expensive.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#1260 » by donemilio21 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:59 pm

esqtvd wrote:Eric Pincus:

CP3!!

“The Clippers could get most of the way to Paul’s $38.5 million with Beverley and Harkless. At a minimum, they’d need to include a couple more players, such as Jerome Robinson and [Rodney] McGruder. The Thunder might have interest in [Montrezl] Harrell or [Ivica] Zubac, but as noted, the Clippers need to add inside, not subtract. Stranger things have happened. A core of Paul, George and Leonard would be tremendous both offensively and defensively. Paul would be a bold move. Do the Clippers want to pay a 34-year-old guard—one they have a history with—given the $85.6 million he’s due for the next two seasons?”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871835-how-aggressive-should-la-clippers-be-at-the-nba-trade-deadline

Would Kawhi want to play with CP3? I love CP3, but I acknowledge it is difficult to play with him as he has to be the aplha dog.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers