ImageImageImage

Around the NBA discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Re: Around the NBA discussion 

Post#101 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:21 am

Anybody hear Tim MacMahon on the Hoop Collective podcast?

I'm paraphrasing, but he was talking about how the Rockets are a collection of players but not a team. How the front office views players as assets with little to no regard for team chemistry. He's saying all of this in light of Mike D'Antoin's comment that the Rockets problem is their players are more concerned about the name on the back of the jersey than they are with the name on the front.

Basicallly, Tim MacMahon was saying "Can you blame them?" The Rockets let it get out very publicly that Clint Capela was in trade talks. He said they had 2 very public failures to negotiate a contract extension with D'Antoni this summer (which I don't remember at all). He said something else about Daniel House making comments about not being happy or something like that.

It sounds like a big mess. And, we know already James Harden is the embodiment of me first basketball. MSOE. My Stats Over Everything.

The question I have is, as a Mavs' fan, wouldn't you say the Rockets are the ideal first round matchup for us?

I think the only way it would happen is with the Mavs as the 3 seed & the Rockets as the 6th seed. I don't see HOU being good enough to climb into the top 3 again. I don't see the Nuggets, Jazz or Clippers falling far enough down into the 6th seed; although, this could be a very tight grouping in the standings at the end of the season. It could be 2 games or fewer separating the 2nd through 6th seeds.

But, overall I would favor the Rockets matchup for the Mavs, as far as getting out of the first round. Pretty much the worst defense of any of the top 6 teams in the West. If Harden doesn't play well, the Rockets don't win. To beat the Mavs at their peak, the Rockets would have to have Harden and Westbrook play elite for 4 games in a 7 games series, and it still might not be enough.

With the Rockets loss to the Lakers tonight, the Mavs slid past them for 5th in the West. I feel like the Mavs being ahead of the Rockets in the standings is something we should anticipate going forward. Unless something changes, but HOU has been unable to make anything happen on the trade front either. They're a flawed team imo.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#102 » by J_T » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:32 am

They might get higher, it's a long season. It's also impossible for Jazz to keep up this pace. They are basically playing like a 70 win team. And they are not 70 win team. So it's possible to meet them as a 4th seed in my opinion.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#103 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:24 am

J_T wrote:They might get higher, it's a long season. It's also impossible for Jazz to keep up this pace. They are basically playing like a 70 win team. And they are not 70 win team. So it's possible to meet them as a 4th seed in my opinion.

Oh for sure, but if the Mavs meet the Jazz in a 4/5 matchup, that's not DAL/HOU... I'm saying DAL can only meet HOU, imo, as a 3/6 seed, because I don't think DAL & HOU can both surpass DEN, LAC, and UTH... one of those 3 would have to be the 6th seed if both DAL & HOU are the 4/5. I don't see that happening. And, I don't see HOU making it to the 3rd seed. So, imo, there should be hope/incentive for the Mavs to make it to the 3rd seed, so they can host vs HOU. That would be my dream scenario.

I don't know about Utah. The pace they're on, you're right it's unsustainable. But, they just need to play at the level of a 55 win team for the rest of the season to maintain. Donovan Mitchell is playing the best basketball of his career & starting to come into his own as a 3rd year player (a natural time for progression), and Bogdanovic has helped the Jazz. Plus, what if Conley comes back and makes a significant impact or the Jazz add somebody (outside of their Clarkston pick up)?

I'd prefer not to see the Jazz in the 1st round; particularly if they have home court advantage.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#104 » by ejs78 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:38 am

Potential 1st rd matchups and if they can win

Rockets- yes
Nuggests- maybe (coin toss game 7)
Jazz-no (over in 6)
Clippers-no (over in 5 or 6)

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#105 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:46 am

ejs78 wrote:Potential 1st rd matchups and if they can win

Rockets- yes
Jazz-no (over in 6)

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I think DEN would depend on homecourt advantage & health... also if MPJ takes a step forward (and/or if Mike Malone gives him the PT so he can). I might favor the Mavs in that series, though. They pretty much handled DEN at home with no KP & just gave it away at the end.

Anyone feel like the Mavs have a shot at the 2 seed? Because then maybe you face a weaker team i.e. Memphis, San Antonio, potentially a depleted OKC roster, etc.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#106 » by ejs78 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:01 am

Alot would have to go right for Dallas and wrong for everyone else to get the 2 seed. Think 4 is the peak and again will need luck.
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Rockets- yes
Jazz-no (over in 6)

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I think DEN would depend on homecourt advantage & health... also if MPJ takes a step forward (and/or if Mike Malone gives him the PT so he can). I might favor the Mavs in that series, though. They pretty much handled DEN at home with no KP & just gave it away at the end.

Anyone feel like the Mavs have a shot at the 2 seed? Because then maybe you face a weaker team i.e. Memphis, San Antonio, potentially a depleted OKC roster, etc.

fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#107 » by fuller4379 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:35 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Anybody hear Tim MacMahon on the Hoop Collective podcast?

I'm paraphrasing, but he was talking about how the Rockets are a collection of players but not a team. How the front office views players as assets with little to no regard for team chemistry. He's saying all of this in light of Mike D'Antoin's comment that the Rockets problem is their players are more concerned about the name on the back of the jersey than they are with the name on the front.

Basicallly, Tim MacMahon was saying "Can you blame them?" The Rockets let it get out very publicly that Clint Capela was in trade talks. He said they had 2 very public failures to negotiate a contract extension with D'Antoni this summer (which I don't remember at all). He said something else about Daniel House making comments about not being happy or something like that.

It sounds like a big mess. And, we know already James Harden is the embodiment of me first basketball. MSOE. My Stats Over Everything.

I didn’t understand the Westbrick acquisition in the last off-season. Harden and Westbrick both love their stats and are both very ball dominate. I can’t see how these two will complement each other.
J_T
Veteran

Post#108 » by J_T » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:43 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:Anybody hear Tim MacMahon on the Hoop Collective podcast?

I didn’t understand the Westbrick acquisition in the last off-season. Harden and Westbrick both love their stats and are both very ball dominate. I can’t see how these two will complement each other.

Yeah, when I heard about the trade, my first thought was "Rockets are not winning anything any time soon."
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#109 » by fuller4379 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:51 pm

J_T wrote:Yeah, when I heard about the trade, my first thought was "Rockets are not winning anything any time soon."

CP3 was injured a lot, but CP3, Harden, and Capella made the Rockets championship contenders. They almost took down the Warriors (minus Durant) last season. Westbrick is just a Harden who isn’t as efficient.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#110 » by bran muffin » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:18 pm

Royce O'Neale signed a $36M/4 extension with the Jazz, and everybody on the general boards is praising it. Makes me realize that the Mavs did an underrated job re-signing their own players last summer. Compared to Royce, these guys are all steals:

• DFS - $12M/3
  • Maxi - $25M/3 + $9M/1 Team Option
  • Powell - $33M/3
J_T
Veteran

Post#111 » by J_T » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:42 pm

bran muffin wrote:Royce O'Neale signed a $36M/4 extension with the Jazz, and everybody on the general boards is praising it. Makes me realize that the Mavs did an underrated job re-signing their own players last summer. Compared to Royce, these guys are all steals:

• DFS - $12M/3
  • Powell - $33M/3

You are stating a very unpopular opinion. You are right. But still, unpopular opinion. :)
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#112 » by Imon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:28 pm

Rockets- yes
Jazz-no (over in 6)

This is probably just me but I actually think that the Rockets might be tougher in the playoffs.
Rotations shrink and starters play more minutes in the POs.

What really matters in the playoffs is having one of the NBA's top-5 or so players in the league. Rarely are championships won without a top-tier talent on your team. I know Denver fans would probably vehemently disagree with me but I don't see Jokic as a top-tier talent yet - he could become one but I don't see it just yet.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#113 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:26 am

bran muffin wrote:Royce O'Neale signed a $36M/4 extension with the Jazz, and everybody on the general boards is praising it. Makes me realize that the Mavs did an underrated job re-signing their own players last summer. Compared to Royce, these guys are all steals:

• DFS - $12M/3
  • Powell - $33M/3

I've defended Powell in the game threads a lot recently, for his play on the court (given his limitations & what he's being asked to do), but his contract is no "steal".

I guess it's possible the Mavs had an understanding with Powell going into FA, or his agent simply told teams he was interested in Dallas, but the timing of when Dallas signed Powell pretty much tells you there wasn't a high demand for his services.

If Kemba signs here, they don't bring back Powell for $11 mil a year or probably at all. They were willing to wait to sign Powell until after all of the Kawhi, The Decision 2.0 nonsense to wait on Danny Green of all people. They waited until July 7th. 7 days and then they paid the man like he was signed on day 2 or day 3.

They talk about Powell's incredible efficiency in the Pick n Roll & I think they build him up in their own minds as this top 50 player in the league or whatever. The point is they overvalue him & then when it comes time to pay him they outbid themsevles to sign him. They did the same thing on his last contract too.
Imon
Head Coach

Post#114 » by Imon » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:01 pm

Wow...
I know some of us have been critical of Parsons in the past but this sounds pretty bad.
No one should have to go through something like this and to hear that the other person may have been DUI makes it even worse.
Hope he can make a full recovery.
Read on Twitter
J_T
Veteran

Post#115 » by J_T » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:20 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:I guess it's possible the Mavs had an understanding with Powell going into FA, or his agent simply told teams he was interested in Dallas, but the timing of when Dallas signed Powell pretty much tells you there wasn't a high demand for his services

They definitely had an understanding before he opted out. He even said before that he was going to stay in Dallas. Because of his statements everyone was expecting him to opt-in and was surprised when he didn't. But it was just a plan they had.

In a radio interview with 105.3 The Fan’s Ben & Skin right after the season ended, Cuban said, “We’ll extend Dwight Powell and keep him around for another three years.”

So before the season break they already knew they would extend him for three years.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#116 » by bran muffin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:19 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:I guess it's possible the Mavs had an understanding with Powell going into FA, or his agent simply told teams he was interested in Dallas, but the timing of when Dallas signed Powell pretty much tells you there wasn't a high demand for his services.

If Kemba signs here, they don't bring back Powell for $11 mil a year or probably at all.

J_T wrote:They definitely had an understanding before he opted out. He even said before that he was going to stay in Dallas. Because of his statements everyone was expecting him to opt-in and was surprised when he didn't. But it was just a plan they had.

Powell did not opt out of his contract last summer, and so he never entered free agency. The $33M/3 deal he signed with the Mavs is an extension that kicks in after this season. That extension was reported by local beat writers before free agency even started. So Powell staying in Dallas was obviously not contingent on the Mavs missing out on Kemba in free agency.

The original report had Powell signing his max extension ($40M/3) and a lot of people didn't like that. But later the actual amount was revealed to be much lower ($33M/3). Powell's salary is only slightly more than an MLE. I think that's a solid deal, and definitely a bargain compared to recently signed power forwards like Royce O'Neal, Al Farouq Aminu and Julius Randle.
J_T
Veteran

Post#117 » by J_T » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:34 pm

bran muffin wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:I guess it's possible the Mavs had an understanding with Powell going into FA, or his agent simply told teams he was interested in Dallas, but the timing of when Dallas signed Powell pretty much tells you there wasn't a high demand for his services.

If Kemba signs here, they don't bring back Powell for $11 mil a year or probably at all.

J_T wrote:They definitely had an understanding before he opted out. He even said before that he was going to stay in Dallas. Because of his statements everyone was expecting him to opt-in and was surprised when he didn't. But it was just a plan they had.

Powell did not opt out of his contract last summer, and so he never entered free agency. The $33M/3 deal he signed with the Mavs is an extension that kicks in after this season. That extension was reported by local beat writers before free agency even started. So Powell staying in Dallas was obviously not contingent on the Mavs missing out on Kemba in free agency.

The original report had Powell signing his max extension ($40M/3) and a lot of people didn't like that. But later the actual amount was revealed to be much lower ($33M/3). Powell's salary is only slightly more than an MLE. I think that's a solid deal, and definitely a bargain compared to recently signed power forwards like Royce O'Neal, Al Farouq Aminu and Julius Randle.

You are right. I actually remember Powell saying that the initial report was non-sense but I thought that he did it week later nevertheless. I think that so many people forgot about it is because it was just being repeated all the time and the refutations were not loud enough.
Imon
Head Coach

Post#118 » by Imon » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:30 am

OKC defeated the Rockets again.
Chris Paul's revenge against Houston going well so far.

I think at this point we can pretty much count on OKC to be a playoff team and only the 8th seed in the West is up for grabs now.
Memphis and New Orleans have been on the rise recently but the Suns, Spurs, and Blazers have the more veteran "stars" (Booker is still young but it's his 5th year in the league).
Out of all of these teams I would rank them like this in terms of most to least likely to grab that last playoff spot:
Suns, Pelicans, Spurs, Grizzlies, and Blazers.

I got a feeling this Western Conference playoff race is going to get really tight in the middle of the pack with only about 3 or so games separating the 3rd from the 7th seed. The Mavs are going to be in the scrum in the middle of the West and so every game will matter for playoff match ups.
Imon
Head Coach

Post#119 » by Imon » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:47 am

Saw Delonte West was trending on Twitter and I knew it couldn't be good...
Read on Twitter

He was a pretty controversial figure in the NBA but I was a fan when he was here in Dallas. He stuck up for his teammates and played with a lot of heart. I hope someone from the NBA family sees his plight and gives him the help he needs.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#120 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 am

bran muffin wrote:

Then why was Bleacher Report reporting this on July 7th, 7 days after FA started?

And no matter the technicalities involved, when it's free agency & you're not officially signed on the dotted line not a whole lot else matters i.e. the DeAndre Jordan fiasco. Things can change, so waiting 7 days there's risk involved there.

Bleacher Report link:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837393-mavs-officially-sign-dwight-powell-to-contract-extension-reportedly-worth-33m

Return to Dallas Mavericks