ImageImageImageImageImage

TPE Trade Target Watch

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

TPE Trade Target Watch 

Post#1 » by OptionZero » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:45 pm

As the season progresses, I think it is worth looking around the league for potential targets for our roughly $17M TPE.

A primer:
1) The TPE can be used to absorb UP TO $17M (i think its actually $17.2M) in salary coming to GSW. You can use it on one player, two player, etc. It can be used in "chunks" (i.e. to take Player A from team 1 and player B from team 2 in a separate transaction, provided there's space lever over in the TPE). Think of it as a prepaid credit card you win in a raffle

2) It CANNOT be combined with a player (exception: non-simultaneous trades. Trade 1: GSW sends out $12M in salary but takes $1)M back. Trade 2: GSW eats another player making $10 into the TPE and sends out nothing. Net effect: GSW took $20M in players in and sent out only $12M, normally illegal. There are other variations of this, but i'll spare everyone that for now, i guess.)

3) It CAN be combined with a draft pick or draft picks or cash. Our pick situation is technically up in the air, but we in practical terms will have our own pick this year, likely top 5 (draft lottery pending), and we dealt a 2024 protected first rounder in to MEM to get the TPE and dump Iggy to begin with. We have no second this year, plus we moved one in the Jones/Spellman deal and another in the Spellman deal, so we are short. We should be getting one back for Alec Burks.

4) It CANNOT be combined with another TPE (we do not have another anyways)

5) TPE expires in one year from its creation. The Iguodala trade was "official" on July 7, 2019 per NBA.com; we gotta use it BEFORE July 7. The counterbalance is that we are HARDCAPPED for this league year and cannot effectively use it until THIS league year is over on June 20 but the moratorium on official moves ends on June 6, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. (source: Hoops Hype) This creates a very narrow window to use "officially" use it; although in practice, Myers should be negotiating with teams basically as soon as the regular season or Finals ends, depending on the target.

6) We're not getting an All-Star, don't even bother. Any star making under $17M is more than likely on their rookie deal and would never be surrendered by their team.

7) While we CAN acquire a player with more than one year left, its most likely that we're gonna grab a guy in his last year unless its a more complicated deal. More on that below.

8) We CAN use the TPE in a sign-and-trade. The other team would use Bird rights to re-sign and flip their player to use into the $17M space, we would send out draft compensation. This is unlikely because it would AGAIN trigger the hard cap and we know how that screws a team up.

For more information, refer to the Larry Coon FAQ from which i've just done the above quick and dirty summary

In practical terms, who can we get? I think there are a couple categories of potential targets:

1) Negative value assets: A player (or players) whose team wants to dump, either to clear cap space for use in FA, or to get under the tax, or that have some external factor (i.e. heat with the coach or management, off court shenanigans, etc). In this type of trade GSW should demand a positive asset in return.

For example, Dewayne Dedmon is 30 y/o, making $26M from 2020-21 and 2021-22. The Kings have Bagley and Holmes as younger pieces in the front court, they probably want to offload Dedmon at his price. They wouldn't include a 1st rounder, but we'd be within our rights to demand a second to eat his money. He's having a down year, to boot, but historically he's been a good rotation level big man at minimum, and we need good rotation players period, particularly ones that can defend.

2) Neutral value assets: Someone who is not a bad player or bad relationship, but not crucial to their team. Maybe it's a extra big, maybe someone has an upcoming extension that the team is iffy on getting into. Maybe it's a player that was acquired by the prior front office/coaching staff and the new folks just want to replace with "their own dude". It's also probably a player making a liiiiiittle bit too much money for their team, so dumping him wouldn't hurt.

I think Cody Zeller is an example. He is due $15M next year, the final year of his deal, and he's currently 27 y/o. CHA is rebuilding (we are calling it that? they're not calling it that) and they'll be around $25M under the cap. Dumping Zeller clears even more room. Perhaps they want a splashier option at C. Zeller has not be great, but a solid rotation or better level C. Would they just give him away for free just to get off his last year? Maybe. Would we take him for free? Worth thinking about but it depends on what else is out there

3) Positive value assets: A good player on a good deal that the other team will need convincing to give up. Let''s say PHI flames out in the first round and wants to make serious adjustments and/or trim payroll with Ben Simmons extension kicking in. Josh Richardson is has $10.8M due in 2020 and an player option for $11.6 - he's well worth that as a quality 26 y/o, 3&D wing with shot creating ability . . . but PHI has $149M committed. Thats alotta cash. He's not good enough to be worth including a top 5 pick obviously, but maybe a different first rounder, or (worst case scenario, our pick falls lower than 5, to like . . . 10th? maybe a pick swap? all TBD).

So let's all pore over SPOTRAC and Basketball-reference and throw some ideas around
OptionZero
Starter

Re: TPE Trade Target Watch 

Post#2 » by OptionZero » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 pm

ORL has a couple potential options if their season goes off the rails (or priorities shift):

Al Farouq Aminu has $20M due the following 2 years. He is a versatile defender that is an offensive liability, as we demonstrated to PDX repeatedly. He's 29 - i dont think he's toxic at that money but he's leaning into the negative with his weaknesses, IMO

Terrance Ross has about $36M left the following THREE years. He's a shameless one-dimensional gunner that . . . can't make much this year, and he's now 28. A negative asset. Frankly, Alec Burks at the MLE (if he'll take that) would be a better option for that role. ORL would need to really sweeten the pot; Ross is not a starter or TOP bench guy on a title team and i don't want that contract.

DET has a a real interesting option in Tony Snell. He's 28, 6'6, shooting an ungodly 46% 3P (on over 4 attempts, with a career mark over 38% 3P). Player option for $12M next year. DET is below .500, and i know it's the east and anyone can make the playoffs, but c'mon. I think we have to send something out to convince DET to trade him, since they are anti-rebuilding. MAYBE they would want to move him if they wind up re-signing Drummond the premium and get too close to the tax. He's most certainly a starting SF in this league, even if he's not a star.

CLE has Larry Nance Jr. 26, mobile bigman, starting to shoot 3's, but $30M due the following 3 years. Depends whether CLE likes him or not, it seems like they do since this front office paid him.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#3 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:08 pm

TPE for Fournier with pick swap - Orlando frees up cap space on a guy with a player option and moves into the top 5 in the draft. We get a wing who is averaging 20ppg who is a great 3 ball and pick and roll player.

TPE for Valanciunas with pick swap - Memphis frees space and moves up in the draft. We get a legit starting center who can get 20ppg 10rpg any game.

TPE for Schroeder with pick swap - They clear cap and move up in the draft. We get a 6th man.

TPE for Rudy Gay - They free space. We get scoring and depth in the Harrison Barnes mold.

TPE for Dedmon - They free space. We get a center with good defensive metrics.

TPE for Winslow with pick swap - They free space to become players in free agency and move up. We get a wing in the Igoudola mold, defensive metrics say he is one of the best in the NBA.

TPE for Ariza - They clear space. We get a 3 and D.

TPE for Wright and Curry -They free space for 2020 free agency. We get an elite defender and an elite shooter.

TPE for Satoransky and Hutchinson - They free space. We get a Livingston type player and a 3 and D wing.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#4 » by BW32 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:41 pm

Pretty much any trade that has you moving down from high to late lotto is insta terrible you just don't do that ever, specially not for the Schroeders of the world.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#5 » by giberish » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:14 am

OptionZero wrote:ORL has a couple potential options if their season goes off the rails (or priorities shift):

Al Farouq Aminu has $20M due the following 2 years. He is a versatile defender that is an offensive liability, as we demonstrated to PDX repeatedly. He's 29 - i dont think he's toxic at that money but he's leaning into the negative with his weaknesses, IMO

Terrance Ross has about $36M left the following THREE years. He's a shameless one-dimensional gunner that . . . can't make much this year, and he's now 28. A negative asset. Frankly, Alec Burks at the MLE (if he'll take that) would be a better option for that role. ORL would need to really sweeten the pot; Ross is not a starter or TOP bench guy on a title team and i don't want that contract.

DET has a a real interesting option in Tony Snell. He's 28, 6'6, shooting an ungodly 46% 3P (on over 4 attempts, with a career mark over 38% 3P). Player option for $12M next year. DET is below .500, and i know it's the east and anyone can make the playoffs, but c'mon. I think we have to send something out to convince DET to trade him, since they are anti-rebuilding. MAYBE they would want to move him if they wind up re-signing Drummond the premium and get too close to the tax. He's most certainly a starting SF in this league, even if he's not a star.

CLE has Larry Nance Jr. 26, mobile bigman, starting to shoot 3's, but $30M due the following 3 years. Depends whether CLE likes him or not, it seems like they do since this front office paid him.

I see GS has having 4 main rotation player needs for next season. A Livingston (reserve combo guard with size), Iggy (high quality SF), Barnes (decent SF), and Bogut (starting C, or at least hgih-level reserve splitting time with Looney).

In-house maybe Burks could be resigned as the Livingston and/or maybe GRIII as a Barnes (you don't need as many minutes as Barnes played with Paschall and Spellman). The challenge for using the TPE is that so few team will care about cap space next summer.

Aminu's a solid player, but not a fit as the team really doesn't need a PF.

Ross isn't shooting well this year but the past few years has been a quality reserve with shooting and credible defense - a Barnes option. Possibly gettable for cap space

Snell is also a Barnes option. His defense isn't great but it's solid. Detroit actually got a 1st for taking him (granted #30 but still). If they get too expensive with Drummond and Blake could be available for luxury tax relief.

Can't see Nance on the market - Cleveland already has way more cap space then they can usefully use.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#6 » by giberish » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:28 am

DAWill1128 wrote:TPE for Fournier with pick swap - Orlando frees up cap space on a guy with a player option and moves into the top 5 in the draft. We get a wing who is averaging 20ppg who is a great 3 ball and pick and roll player.

TPE for Valanciunas with pick swap - Memphis frees space and moves up in the draft. We get a legit starting center who can get 20ppg 10rpg any game.

TPE for Schroeder with pick swap - They clear cap and move up in the draft. We get a 6th man.

TPE for Rudy Gay - They free space. We get scoring and depth in the Harrison Barnes mold.

TPE for Winslow with pick swap - They free space to become players in free agency and move up. We get a wing in the Igoudola mold, defensive metrics say he is one of the best in the NBA.

TPE for Wright and Curry -They free space for 2020 free agency. We get an elite defender and an elite shooter.

TPE for Satoransky and Hutchinson - They free space. We get a Livingston type player and a 3 and D wing.

No pick swap down from a high lotto pick without a major player coming in. GS could add a later 1st or a tradable future 1st as part of a Russell trade that could be used as incentive for a secondary player.

Fournier's a poor fit - need someone who can either cover some PG or who's more of a SF. Also Orlando desperately needs offense so they probably don't trade him.

Memphis doesn't need the cap space but could move Jonas for a later 1st.

Schroeder's been decent this year after being horrible for a couple years. OKC wanted to dump him for EC filler but couldn't find any takers. Should be available for TPE if GS is desperate, but I'd hope for better.

Gay is possible as a Barnes option. Deadmon should be possible as a low-end Bogut option.

Miami isn't giving up Winslow for cap space (they don't need it), and he's not good enough for a high-lotto pick trade.

Ariza's been washed for a couple of seasons.

I don't see Dallas playing for 2020 cap space. Though Wright is a good Livingston role guy.

I don't really know where Chicago is going. They've got extra guards so maybe Sato's available.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,243

Post#7 » by xdrta+ » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:18 am

@ comment #1

TPE can also be used to claim a player off waivers.

# 4-- The Warriors have two other TEs, Napier ($1,597,100) and Graham ($1,597,100).
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#8 » by azwfan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:02 am

DAWill1128 wrote:TPE for Fournier with pick swap - Orlando frees up cap space on a guy with a player option and moves into the top 5 in the draft. We get a wing who is averaging 20ppg who is a great 3 ball and pick and roll player.

These pick swaps depends a lot on where the picks are.
I tend to not be interested in the Schroeder one unless OKC ends up picking before us.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#9 » by Coxy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:27 am

I proposed the Satoransky idea a while ago, still like it. He'd fit the Livingston role really well, and can actually shoot some.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#10 » by killmongrel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:39 am

Jonas Valanciunas - I still like this idea the most. Will require a future 1st or bunch of 2nds though.

Dwayne Dedmon - At this point, I think Sac just wants to get rid of him. I'm starting to think he's not worth it.

Dion Waiters - Garbage.

Terrance Ross - He is worth the TPE, but I don't know what it would take to get him. If it takes a future 1st, I would just try to re-sign a player like GR3.

Ariza - This dude is washed. I was thinking he still had something, but no. He's done. He is not worth that contract.

Rudy Gay - He is not really going to provide so much that it justifies the contract he's currently on. I don't see the FO doing this move.

Sato - Some other posters have suggested this and I like it. But I don't know why Chicago would get rid of him. It'll probably take a future 1st.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#11 » by azwfan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:57 am

killmongrel wrote:Jonas Valanciunas - I still like this idea the most. Will require a future 1st or bunch of 2nds though.

Dwayne Dedmon - At this point, I think Sac just wants to get rid of him. I'm starting to think he's not worth it.

Dion Waiters - Garbage.

Terrance Ross - He is worth the TPE, but I don't know what it would take to get him. If it takes a future 1st, I would just try to re-sign a player like GR3.

Ariza - This dude is washed. I was thinking he still had something, but no. He's done. He is not worth that contract.

Rudy Gay - He is not really going to provide so much that it justifies the contract he's currently on. I don't see the FO doing this move.

Sato - Some other posters have suggested this and I like it. But I don't know why Chicago would get rid of him. It'll probably take a future 1st.

This just goes to show how important it is for Myers to "create" some future trade-able assets with WCS/Burks/GR3 to be later used with the TPE in the summer. I know its not easy, but gdmit thats what he gets the big bucks for.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#12 » by killmongrel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:31 am

I really want Myers to figure out how to get Valanciunas with that TPE. He isn't worth the 2020 1st, but any 1st after that, I'm down. And any seconds we have as well or can get from trading Burks, etc.
OptionZero
Starter

Post#13 » by OptionZero » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:11 pm

bumping as we approach the trade deadline (which may change who becomes available)

also folks are asking about stuff in the trade thread
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#14 » by killmongrel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:32 pm

OptionZero wrote:bumping as we approach the trade deadline (which may change who becomes available)

also folks are asking about stuff in the trade thread

We can't use the TPE this season, but after thinking about some of the options some more, I've narrowed down the best candidates:

Valanciunas - I am willing to give multiple future 1sts for him or even swap our 2020 1st with Memphis if we don't value the draft class this year.

Sato - He can be a legit backup pg for us with Livingston's length but better shooting.
OptionZero
Starter

Post#15 » by OptionZero » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:16 pm

There's no chance we use it this deadline

but as i said, who gets moved as the deadline may affect who becomes available
freypies
Junior
And1: 120

Post#16 » by freypies » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 pm

OptionZero wrote:There's no chance we use it this deadline

Are you talking about the TPE? Can't that only be used in a trade on July 6th?
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#17 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:47 pm

freypies wrote:
OptionZero wrote:There's no chance we use it this deadline

Are you talking about the TPE? Can't that only be used in a trade on July 6th?

The TE expires on July 6 (or maybe the 7th, it's one year from whenever the Iguodala trade was official). It can be used any time the Warriors can fit it into their salary structure. Which means it's unlikely to be used while under the hard cap, but could be used when that's lifted at the end of the season.
OptionZero
Starter

Post#18 » by OptionZero » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:03 am

IIRC:
League year ends June 30.
Moratorium July 1-6 (ends at noon on the 6th)
First day of business is July 7

Iguodala trade was officially consumated on July 7, 2019

Depending on exactly when the paperwork was filed and how the league calculates this, the window could be mere hours to officially get a trade in using the TPE

Fortunately, GSW is free to negotiate with anyone about this at anytime, including now, about plans to use it. It is highly unlikely anything formal is agreed upon DURING this season, but as soon as the regular season ends, Myers can agree to stuff with any non-playoff team. The Finals latest possible date is June 21, so by then everyone will be no longer occupied and free to talk.

So theres about 2 weeks after the finals when EVERYONE will be done and Myers can hash out the details.

Also, the draft lottery is May 19, so GSW will know where its pick lands in plenty of time

Once the terms are agreed upon, they just need to send the paper work in to the league office during that window on July 6
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#19 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:25 am

OptionZero wrote:IIRC:
League year ends June 30.
Moratorium July 1-6 (ends at noon on the 6th)
First day of business is July 7

Iguodala trade was officially consumated on July 7, 2019

Depending on exactly when the paperwork was filed and how the league calculates this, the window could be mere hours to officially get a trade in using the TPE

Fortunately, GSW is free to negotiate with anyone about this at anytime, including now, about plans to use it. It is highly unlikely anything formal is agreed upon DURING this season, but as soon as the regular season ends, Myers can agree to stuff with any non-playoff team. The Finals latest possible date is June 21, so by then everyone will be no longer occupied and free to talk.

So theres about 2 weeks after the finals when EVERYONE will be done and Myers can hash out the details.

Also, the draft lottery is May 19, so GSW will know where its pick lands in plenty of time

Once the terms are agreed upon, they just need to send the paper work in to the league office during that window on July 6

There are a few possibilities. The last day of the season is April 15, and teams can make trades starting then, or when they're eliminated from the playoffs. The Warriors don't have to wait until the last minute (when things could go wrong) to use the trade exception.

Another way might be if the Warriors make a trade or two before the deadline, and clear a few million under the hard cap, they could claim someone off waivers and use a piece of the TE. I'm sure the FO is watching all possibilities.
OptionZero
Starter

Post#20 » by OptionZero » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:07 am

DEN is currently projected at around $109.5 in salary next year before re-signing Paul Millsap, Mason Plumlee, and Torrey Craig. The tax is estimated at around $139.

They have Michael Porter Jr. as likely their backup PF next year

Jerami Grant has a $9.3M player option next year. That is roughly the same as the NTPMLE, and he would probably get that from a few teams.

As a combo 3/4 and even backup C that shoots a few 3's and moves his feet on defense and defends the rim, he'd be pretty useful

Let's say we can get him to pick up his option and agree to an extension off of it (can be 120$ of prior salary, so it'd be $9.3, then around $12M, then around $13M, etc . . . a 3 year deal including the P/O would be $35M

Would you give up a protected 2021 first rounder (ours) for him?

Return to Golden State Warriors