ImageImage

Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,064

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1781 » by FrieAaron » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:06 am

crkone wrote: And like I said the let if fly mantra doesn't force feed shots to one person besides Giannis.

That's the thing, though. It wasn't because of Brogdon - Middleton wasn't letting it fly. Maybe because of the discouragement of taking too many long twos, but in either case it was all too common last year for Middleton to pass up good looks, the type of shots you definitely don't mind your #2 taking.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#1782 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:10 am

Middleton was averaging more 3PT attempts per-36 last season than this season...
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,064

Post#1783 » by FrieAaron » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:14 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Middleton was averaging more 3PT attempts per-36 last season than this season...

Sure, but he's shooting more overall. I don't think there's any doubt he's being more aggressive this year.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,267

Post#1784 » by KidA24 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:23 am

FrieAaron wrote:
crkone wrote: And like I said the let if fly mantra doesn't force feed shots to one person besides Giannis.

That's the thing, though. It wasn't because of Brogdon - Middleton wasn't letting it fly. Maybe because of the discouragement of taking too many long twos, but in either case it was all too common last year for Middleton to pass up good looks, the type of shots you definitely don't mind your #2 taking.

Shu-Ha-Ri.

Shu: Learn the forms. That was last season. 5 out. Not much movement, not much innovating. Building the proper muscle memory and play style.

Ha: Adapting the forms to fit your style. That is this season. They keep adding new wrinkles, pushing the envelope. Sometimes it looks ugly, but experimenting will do that.

Ri: Mastery. Will they ever get there?
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#1785 » by blazza18 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:32 am

crkone wrote:Bud has adapted his system to Mids because it was dumb not to do that. As said above, Mids is shooting more midrange shots this year. He's getting the shots he likes and surprise, surprise he's making them at superstar clips. Bud's system last year did not like those shots one bit. And like I said the let if fly mantra doesn't force feed shots to one person besides Giannis.

I think being together for well over a year now has definitely helped both. What has also helped is Midds just flat out shooting better than he was last season too.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#1786 » by skones » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 am

blazza18 wrote:
crkone wrote:Bud has adapted his system to Mids because it was dumb not to do that. As said above, Mids is shooting more midrange shots this year. He's getting the shots he likes and surprise, surprise he's making them at superstar clips. Bud's system last year did not like those shots one bit. And like I said the let if fly mantra doesn't force feed shots to one person besides Giannis.

I think being together for well over a year now has definitely helped both. What has also helped is Midds just flat out shooting better than he was last season too.

There's more to it than just "shooting better." He has more freedom within the offense to get HIS looks and it's paying dividends.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#1787 » by blazza18 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:08 am

skones wrote:There's more to it than just "shooting better." He has more freedom within the offense to get HIS looks and it's paying dividends.

I would say both go hand in hand here.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#1788 » by skones » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:11 am

blazza18 wrote:
skones wrote:There's more to it than just "shooting better." He has more freedom within the offense to get HIS looks and it's paying dividends.

I would say both go hand in hand here.

Well sure, he's shooting better, but just stating "shooting better" as some do, not saying you, makes it sound like it's being boiled down to dumb luck. It's not. Last year the offense was designed around Giannis and Giannis only. This year there are more spots for other guys to pick and choose. There's more flexibility.

It's no longer, Khris, shoot here, here, or here, not here (ie. the bread and butter midrange game that he made a career out of). It's find your spots, get in a rhythm, let's go. Khris has some of the freedom he had under Kidd back, but there's more structure in the offense to create space for him to operate.

He's also been far more methodical, and in general, he's just playing much smarter basketball. It's like he got hurt, they sat him in a film room for hours on end, and then the light bulb came on.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#1789 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:28 am

khris game is tailor made for the playoffs
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#1790 » by DrWood » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:37 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Middleton was averaging more 3PT attempts per-36 last season than this season...

he's shooting more long twos and fewer short twos, yet he's making 2's at a higher percentage than last year. Basically back to the master of mid-range, but unlike someone like Derozan, Midds still attempts a lot of 3's.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Post#1791 » by JayMKE » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:48 am

Khris is a rhythm guy, letting him take those shots he likes from midrange helps him more confidently shoot from 3. I was worried last year about Bud being too inflexible with his system but he seems to adapted it for Khris and to a lesser extent Brook. You want guys to shoot with confidence.
FREE GIANNIS
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#1792 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:50 am

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2020_advanced.html

knocking out the centers khris has the 8th highest ws/48 in the whole damn league. counting the centers hes 12th

for perspective sandwiched right in between lebron and embiid.

jesus
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#1793 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 am

JayMKE wrote:Khris is a rhythm guy, letting him take those shots he likes from midrange helps him more confidently shoot from 3. I was worried last year about Bud being too inflexible with his system but he seems to adapted it for Khris and to a lesser extent Brook. You want guys to shoot with confidence.

maybe im bring a bit homer but I think if wed posted brook last year taking Gasol of the Giannis wall..... and then let khris just play.... we have our first championship already. I really think it would have been that easy
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#1794 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:13 am

DrWood wrote:

he's shooting more long twos and fewer short twos, yet he's making 2's at a higher percentage than last year. Basically back to the master of mid-range, but unlike someone like Derozan, Midds still attempts a lot of 3's.

Which makes him arguably the perfect compliment to Giannis. When Giannis is off the court, they can run the offense through him, he can generate his own shots against all but the most elite defenders, and still be highly efficient. When Giannis is on the court, he can play off ball and hit open threes at high volume rates. Not to mention, he can play D when focused due to his length.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#1795 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:20 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Khris is a rhythm guy, letting him take those shots he likes from midrange helps him more confidently shoot from 3. I was worried last year about Bud being too inflexible with his system but he seems to adapted it for Khris and to a lesser extent Brook. You want guys to shoot with confidence.

maybe im bring a bit homer but I think if wed posted brook last year taking Gasol of the Giannis wall..... and then let khris just play.... we have our first championship already. I really think it would have been that easy

Not sure posting Brook or anyone would have helped against the wall as it wasn't just a Giannis wall. It was a Bledsoe wall too. Really a wall to stop anyone from getting to the rim. They were letting anyone have wide open shots from outside.

But yeah, if they just let Midds do his mid-range thing, maybe that changes things as they would not have doubled him to prevent midrange shots and risked compromising their wall. So, he would have been able to get his shots. And they just needed their offense to be a tiny bit more efficient.
craig
Senior
And1: 128

Post#1796 » by craig » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:30 am

42.1% 3's this year, 37.8% last year. He's shooting better from deep. One can speculate why, but the ability to shoot better is hugely nice.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#1797 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:40 am

craig wrote:42.1% 3's this year, 37.8% last year. He's shooting better from deep. One can speculate why, but the ability to shoot better is hugely nice.

More confident after he gets his mid-range going? More shots available when the second unit is not everyone standing around while Marvin Brodgan dribbles and then eventually drives? He had a kid, so he is getting that FVF increased ability? He wants to prove he is worth the contract?
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#1798 » by Jez2983 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:13 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2020_advanced.html

knocking out the centers khris has the 8th highest ws/48 in the whole damn league. counting the centers hes 12th

for perspective sandwiched right in between lebron and embiid.

jesus

It probably helps playing on a team winning at all-time levels.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,223

Post#1799 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Brogdon left last nights game with a concussion.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#1800 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:48 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Brogdon left last nights game with a concussion.

you cant make this **** up

Return to Milwaukee Bucks