ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1261 » by donemilio21 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:22 pm

Could Aron Baynes co-exist with Harrell ?
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#1262 » by donemilio21 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:25 pm

We also still have $9.8M trade exception from the Tobias Harris trade. Who can we take on for that without giving up another player? Perhaps by only exchanging a 2nd round pick.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#1263 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:33 pm

esqtvd wrote:Image

just get us a stretch 4-5 and we're gold

I wonder if it would be possible to get Gallinari back. He’d fit very well with that line up
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#1264 » by nickhx2 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:28 pm

gallo would be an amazing guy to get back. but i don't know salaries or what okc would ask for him.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#1265 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:38 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:Eric Pincus:

CP3!!

“The Clippers could get most of the way to Paul’s $38.5 million with Beverley and Harkless. At a minimum, they’d need to include a couple more players, such as Jerome Robinson and [Rodney] McGruder. The Thunder might have interest in [Montrezl] Harrell or [Ivica] Zubac, but as noted, the Clippers need to add inside, not subtract. Stranger things have happened. A core of Paul, George and Leonard would be tremendous both offensively and defensively. Paul would be a bold move. Do the Clippers want to pay a 34-year-old guard—one they have a history with—given the $85.6 million he’s due for the next two seasons?”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871835-how-aggressive-should-la-clippers-be-at-the-nba-trade-deadline

Would Kawhi want to play with CP3? I love CP3, but I acknowledge it is difficult to play with him as he has to be the alpha dog.

Not much interest from Clipper Nation in CP3? Interesting. I'd say that at age 34, having failed as the leader of Lob City and being unceremoniously dumped by The Beard, CP will have a different head. I dunno if it's legal under the CBA, but I'd like to ask Chris to waive his player option for 2022-23. He's still headed for the HOF, but coming back and scoring a chip as the point guard for the Clippers would do a lot for his legacy. It was say that the problem--the failure--wasn't due to him.

Lucas Hann posits that we could probably get OKC to throw in Nerlen Noel's expiring minimum-wage contract too, which would be just the 3rd big we need [unlike most 5s, he can also play a little at PF beside Trezz].

https://www.clipsnation.com/2020/1/20/21071796/trade-target-breakdown-chris-paul-clippers-thunder-deadline-rumors

The comments are interesting too. Some think it's a slam-dunk--CP is a Hall of Famer after all, and playing quite well at the moment-- many are concerned about his constant nagging injuries, and others just want to stay the course and make minor deals around the edges, since there's no real way to do the deal without Harkless and Pat Bev.

I was surprised however, at the sizable minority who were willing to deal Trezz and his expiring contract.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1266 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:23 am

"I'm shocked at how little Clippers trade buzz there is right now, maybe I shouldn't be considering they came like off the top rope from nowhere over the summer with Kawhi and PG," Lowe said. "They have these assets that are just burning a hole in their pocket and have to be used.

"I would be shocked if they got through the deadline and didn't make a trade, [because] they are all in. They are as all in as you can get given what they gave up for PG and Kawhi. By the way, those guys are free agents in like 18 months. They're all in. They have to be all in."

The Clippers currently sit in second place in the Western Conference at 30-13. It's fascinating to think about what an improved roster could even look like.

https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/la-clippers-trade-deadline-zach-lowe-rumors
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#1267 » by Topofthekey » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:44 am

Just checking, any interest in Jeremy Lamb if Pacers were to trade him?

What would Clippers offer for him?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1268 » by esqtvd » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:15 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Just checking, any interest in Jeremy Lamb if Pacers were to trade him?

What would Clippers offer for him?

At $10M a year I don't think we have anything that matches salaries except Harkless, who is more useful to us. I suppose we could come up with a collection of spare parts but I doubt the Pacers would be interested. You're probably better off keeping him even after Oladipo comes back.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#1269 » by TucsonClip » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:22 am

Ive always been a Lamb fan, but I dont think he makes that much of a difference for us.

Also, absolutely not to Whiteside. There is no way the front office rolls the dice on him; headcase and puts up a lot of empty stats. The only player I can recall to get booed by Heat fans during his return.

Iggy makes sense, but I dont see us trading a 1st for him. I dont like the idea of swapping a 1 and Harkless for Baynes, who isnt a clear upgrade over Zu.

Picking up a guy like Lin in March would make some sense, but hes also been more shoot first. I think Collison picks the Lakers.

If we make a big move, I see it being someone nobody has mentioned. I think Covington is too pricey, but I could see it being a guy who can play the 3/4, and then we open an extra roster spot (Robinson in a deal) to pick up another C or a PG on the free agent/buyout market.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#1270 » by QRich3 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:37 am

Couldn't agree more with Tucson. Lamb is a nice player, but he doesn't make a lot of sense with Shamet already here, and he plays a position where we least need an upgrade. Whiteside is just a big fat NO, even if he came with a pick attached or whatever. He's been a net negative his whole career, and a culture killer. If he managed to poison a team as strong as the Heat, imagine what he'd do here, in a franchise a lot more lax.

Covington would be nice and fit the team's mentality like a glove, but it's true that Minny's asking price is probably not worth it. I'd do Moe and the pick, but no more. Other than that, can't see anything available that fits what we're looking for. Myles Turner is still my dream target and I'd personally give everything we can throw at them but the 2 franchise players. But it's unlikely that gets anywhere.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#1271 » by Young Sterling » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:33 pm

We should trade our scrubs/non factor players in a package deal along with the 1st rd pick for Robert Covington, then go straight to the waiver wires and add players like: Jeff Green, Iman Shumpert, Joakim Noah, Ryan Anderson, Darren Collison. These are all players that can be had for the vet min who still have game left and solid vet experience. Imagine a bench of Lou, Trez, and 3 of those guys I just mentioned instead of the scrubs we usually trot out with them.

And before someone tells me smack about Anderson, just remember this. He looked like a star, then went to Houston Rocket's Harden Central offense which makes EVERYONE look like trash, and he was forgotten. Ppl blamed him the same way they blamed CP3, but I think ppl understand which player is the real problem over there, even if they hate to admit it. Buy low, he's still a quality player who can SHOOT and help the bench.
JayClips92
Junior
And1: 147

Post#1272 » by JayClips92 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:51 pm

I'm not sure if GSW would go for it but I think if we want to keep our core team together I'd look at -

GSW - Jerome Robison and Detroit's 2021 2nd round pick

LAC - Willie Cauley-Stein & Alec Burks

Golden State gets last years 13th pick to work on developing into a rotation player, a high second round pick and an open spot to sign one of their two ways players who have been playing well for them.

Clippers get an athletic/defensive minded 7-footer and scoring wing player that's been playing much better than McGruder and Robinson
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#1273 » by Young Sterling » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:24 pm

Yeah Willie CS is one I was thinking about too. The thing is, a lot of the trade ideas I've heard are thinking within the box.. Our FO does some crazy blockbuster stuff. I'm calling it now, we're gonna have one of these players before the deadline:
Jrue Holiday, Gallo, Ibaka, Gasol, or Derrick Favors. :crazy:
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#1274 » by TucsonClip » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 pm

If I ever have to watch Jeff Green play basketball for the Clippers ever again, I might implode.

- Shane Battier
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#1275 » by TucsonClip » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Aaron Gordon certainly fits the type of player that would be an interesting upgrade over Harkless. Unfortunately, I dont think we can put together a package for Gordon unless Orlando just really wants salary relief, a late pick, and some young guys (Mann, Robinson, ect.).

On top of that, if Gordon would ever buy into the role he should be playing (table setting 4, dynamic defensive weapon), he would make even more sense. That has yet to happen.

It fun to think about though...

- Shane Battier
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#1276 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:34 pm

whiteside pretty awful for all the reasons mentioned.

jeff green is complete garbage.

i like the aaron gordon idea, but we're pretty asset-less. too bad we had to pick jerome, otherwise we might have other trade options.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#1277 » by donemilio21 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:59 pm

TucsonClip wrote:Aaron Gordon certainly fits the type of player that would be an interesting upgrade over Harkless. Unfortunately, I dont think we can put together a package for Gordon unless Orlando just really wants salary relief, a late pick, and some young guys (Mann, Robinson, ect.).

On top of that, if Gordon would ever buy into the role he should be playing (table setting 4, dynamic defensive weapon), he would make even more sense. That has yet to happen.

It fun to think about though...

Orlando is a playoff team, they won't trade Gordon easily.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#1278 » by donemilio21 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:01 pm

nickhx2 wrote:whiteside pretty awful for all the reasons mentioned.

jeff green is complete garbage.

i like the aaron gordon idea, but we're pretty asset-less. too bad we had to pick jerome, otherwise we might have other trade options.

Jerome has no more value than a late second round pick right now, Michael Porter Jr. would have certainly interested some teams though.
JayClips92
Junior
And1: 147

Post#1279 » by JayClips92 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 pm

Young Sterling wrote:Yeah Willie CS is one I was thinking about too. The thing is, a lot of the trade ideas I've heard are thinking within the box.. Our FO does some crazy blockbuster stuff. I'm calling it now, we're gonna have one of these players before the deadline:
Jrue Holiday, Gallo, Ibaka, Gasol, or Derrick Favors. :crazy:

I'm pretty sure the clippers can't reacquire Gallo for a full calendar year from when he was traded
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1280 » by esqtvd » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 pm

TucsonClip wrote:If I ever have to watch Jeff Green play basketball for the Clippers ever again, I might implode.

Hating on Jeff Green is a sacred Clipper fan board tradition. Even more than Dudley or--dare I say it--Austin Rivers. :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers