Rui Hachimura

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1021 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Wow, that's not a good trend. -14.7? He draws a ton of fouls to keep his scoring efficiency reasonably good, but he doesn't spread the floor.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1022 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Ruzious wrote:Wow, that's not a good trend. -14.7? He draws a ton of fouls to keep his scoring efficiency reasonably good, but he doesn't spread the floor.

It's even worse when you look at his playoff performances. Weirdly enough, everyone thought he produced in last season's playoffs and his numbers were fine but his on/off were worse than they'd ever been. And he achieved that while starting alongside Poeltl - Poeltl had solid on/off numbers and DeRozan somehow managed to be a massive negative despite the boost he got in his minutes with Poeltl. He's sort of like a pitcher with an ERA of 5.50 but he can stay healthy and pitch 200 innings. What is that worth? On one hand, it's a lot of innings but on the other hand it's a lot of innings in games you probably aren't going to win.
Bucket! Bucket!
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 591

Post#1023 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:49 am

Hachimura in a warmup, shooting free throws flatfooted. Not jumping, not even bouncing on the balls of his feet. Bonga must have really messed him up.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#1024 » by TheBabyMaker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:24 am

BearlyBallin wrote:Hachimura in a warmup, shooting free throws flatfooted. Not jumping, not even bouncing on the balls of his feet. Bonga must have really messed him up.

I would not expect him back this season, and if so why?
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#1025 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:34 am

There Is a very good chance he ruptured something. And considering we haven't heard much. I'd say he significantly injured a testicle or both.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#1026 » by closg00 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:59 pm

Wow, I hope Rui doesn't have a girlfriend, he's a DNP in that area too :(
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 591

Post#1027 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:14 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:Hachimura in a warmup, shooting free throws flatfooted. Not jumping, not even bouncing on the balls of his feet. Bonga must have really messed him up.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Here he does raise up on his toes, but in a very controlled manner. No impact as he comes back down gently on his heels.
At least he isn’t completely flatfooted.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1028 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:07 pm

Dude gonna be wearing one of those real expeencive steel cups for now on lol

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1029 » by payitforward » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 pm

It would be a real shame if he missed the remainder of the season. He wasn't developing very fast to begin with. Tough break for him!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1030 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 pm

I mean we were all pretty happy with him but man to suffer such a major injury as a rookie that sucks. Hopefully it doesn't effect his mind set
payitforward wrote:It would be a real shame if he missed the remainder of the season. He wasn't developing very fast to begin with. Tough break for him!

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1031 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:59 pm

gambitx777 wrote:There Is a very good chance he ruptured something. And considering we haven't heard much. I'd say he significantly injured a testicle or both.

That is literally a piss poor injury. Wishing Rui a quick and complete - in every way - recovery.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1032 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:59 pm

gambitx777 wrote:There Is a very good chance he ruptured something. And considering we haven't heard much. I'd say he significantly injured a testicle or both.

That is literally a piss poor injury. Wishing Rui a quick and complete - in every way - recovery.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1033 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:25 pm

I've had testicular injuries and surgery. They really don't let you do much and it's really painful. Luckily I made a "full" recovery. But it's a lot on your mind as a young person. I'm more worried about him mentally , than physically. **** will heal up sooner or later but the mind takes longer to heal and depending on what long term damage was done could take longer still
Ruzious wrote:

JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1034 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 am

payitforward wrote:It would be a real shame if he missed the remainder of the season. He wasn't developing very fast to begin with. Tough break for him!

He wasn't developing fast from his first 20 something games in the NBA...laughable.

Anyway bump because the of all the Rui negativity I've seen here in my absence. I'd say Rui has the same chances to develop into a good 3 pt shooter as Brad Beal does. :D
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1035 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:21 pm

JWizmentality wrote:

He wasn't developing fast from his first 20 something games in the NBA...laughable....

This is getting tiresome. Are you saying that he was "developing very fast?"

JWizmentality wrote:Anyway bump because the of all the Rui negativity I've seen here in my absence. I'd say Rui has the same chances to develop into a good 3 pt shooter as Brad Beal does. :D

What negativity? This is more of the same nonsense.

Just to sum it up, hopefully once & for all (hah!): Rui is who he is. We don't know whether he'll be great, very good, just plain good, not so good, etc. We just don't know -- how could we?

"Negativity" about how the draft was managed is not negativity about Rui. It's negativity about how the draft was managed -- i.e. about what the FO did.

A person could frame that criticism of Tommy Sheppard (who described himself as "all in" on Rui -- i.e. not looking at other players).

Or a person could frame it as the confluence of an "interim" guy (who definitely wants to be "the" guy & is unlikely to make his first move by way of a bold trade) & an owner who is extremely marketing-oriented (like most owners).

Either way, there is no reason to critique Rui Hachimura -- as I've already written, he didn't pick himself!

OTOH, the idea that "wow, what a great pick Rui was -- ain't it obvious" is just plain ridiculous. It may turn out that way, but it hasn't looked that way yet. For example, I'd say that, to this point, Matisse Thybulle, P.J. Washington, Tyler Herro & Cameron Johnson (all taken after Rui) have looked better than Rui has -- wouldn't you? Or, is it absolutely not ok to say that someone else might be better than Rui Hachimura? I'm not even mentioning the obvious guy, of course.

Now... Rui was "late to basketball." Somehow that's supposed to mean that it's a sure thing he'll be better than all those guys, just "late"r.

You know what? It might turn out just that way. Rui Hachimura might become an all star. Or, the opposite. He might never be more than an NBA journeyman.

I don't know which it'll be, or what else it might be. &, jwiz et. al., neither do you! What we do know is that so far Rui hasn't rebounded, defended, shot the 3, passed well, or even shot the 2-ball ("mid-range game") at an average efficiency for a PF. Doesn't mean he won't do all those things well some day, & I hope he does.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1036 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:44 pm

I always like to say this, some big men in the NBA develop a big more slowly that Others. Look at white side. He wasn't good until he was 26. Rui is 21 and the late to basket ball thing could be good or bad. I'm more worried about the "groin" injury. If he did infact sustain real damage to the nuts that might mess with his head for a while.
payitforward wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

He wasn't developing fast from his first 20 something games in the NBA...laughable....

This is getting tiresome. Are you saying that he was "developing very fast?"

JWizmentality wrote:Anyway bump because the of all the Rui negativity I've seen here in my absence. I'd say Rui has the same chances to develop into a good 3 pt shooter as Brad Beal does. :D

What negativity? This is more of the same nonsense.

Just to sum it up, hopefully once & for all (hah!): Rui is who he is. We don't know whether he'll be great, very good, just plain good, not so good, etc. We just don't know -- how could we?

"Negativity" about how the draft was managed is not negativity about Rui. It's negativity about how the draft was managed -- i.e. about what the FO did.

A person could frame that criticism of Tommy Sheppard (who described himself as "all in" on Rui -- i.e. not looking at other players).

Or a person could frame it as the confluence of an "interim" guy (who definitely wants to be "the" guy & is unlikely to make his first move by way of a bold trade) & an owner who is extremely marketing-oriented (like most owners).

Either way, there is no reason to critique Rui Hachimura -- as I've already written, he didn't pick himself!

OTOH, the idea that "wow, what a great pick Rui was -- ain't it obvious" is just plain ridiculous. It may turn out that way, but it hasn't looked that way yet. For example, I'd say that, to this point, Matisse Thybulle, P.J. Washington, Tyler Herro & Cameron Johnson (all taken after Rui) have looked better than Rui has -- wouldn't you? Or, is it absolutely not ok to say that someone else might be better than Rui Hachimura? I'm not even mentioning the obvious guy, of course.

Now... Rui was "late to basketball." Somehow that's supposed to mean that it's a sure thing he'll be better than all those guys, just "late"r.

You know what? It might turn out just that way. Rui Hachimura might become an all star. Or, the opposite. He might never be more than an NBA journeyman.

I don't know which it'll be, or what else it might be. &, jwiz et. al., neither do you! What we do know is that so far Rui hasn't rebounded, defended, shot the 3, passed well, or even shot the 2-ball ("mid-range game") at an average efficiency for a PF. Doesn't mean he won't do all those things well some day, & I hope he does.

badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 870

Post#1037 » by badinage » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:20 pm

How about a little optimism, is my thing.

I mean, really — what does it hurt?

What’s to be gained by being right — other than, of course, the ego stroke of being able to say, told ya?

Which is, face it, what these way premature assessments of him are at this point — ways for people to place a marker, so to speak, so that they can come on later and say that they were right and see, no one listened.

But again, what’s to be gained in my fandom from looking at What Is with dispassion and flint-eyed clarity? What does it do for me? It wouldn’t make me more of a fan. Or even a better fan. The proliferation — the saturation — the run amok-ation of stats and stat heads has actually diminished my fandom — in this, as in so many other sports. It’s too much.

Anyway ... a little optimism for our ball-busted baller, eh?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1038 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Absolutely -- from my POV (as I've said now upwards of 20 times I'm sure) Rui Hachimura has a chance to be an outstanding NBA player.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1039 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Ok, at least I know what to get you guys for Christmas next year.
Spoiler:
Pom Poms :lol:
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#1040 » by DCZards » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:51 pm

You want optimism. Well, here’s an optimistic take. Here are Rui’s per 36 rookie season numbers as compared to the rookie season numbers of another Gonzaga player who has turned out be a pretty good NBA player--Domantas Sabonis.

FG%
Sabonis – .439
Rui – .482
3Pt%
Sabonis – .321
Rui – .208
FT%
Sabonis – .657
Rui – .852
PTs
Sabonis – 10.6
Rui – 17.2