ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1041 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:47 pm

Rui has been far, far better as a rookie than Sabonis was -- it's not even close. Rui's TS% so far is 53.3%. That's not good by any means -- but it's a lot better than Sabonis at 46.9% as a rookie!! :)

Plus, you left out turnovers -- Sabonis turned it over virtually twice as often as Rui per 36 minutes.

Oh, and all those extra Rui rebounds are offensive boards -- really distancing himself from Sabonis in offensive effectiveness as a rookie.

Plus, Sabonis committed 64% more fouls than Rui.

& it's not like Sabonis played few minutes. No, it was a very reasonable sample size: 1632 minutes. At the end of his rookie year, there was reason to think Sabonis was a bust! Then OKC traded him & Oladipo to Indy for Paul George! Jaw-dropping!

But Sabonis improved immensely his second year; then he improved immensely again his third year, i.e. last year -- when he was...
Spoiler:
...almost as good as Thomas Bryant (close but not quite) :)

Better yet, if Rui improves at the rate Sabonis did, then by his 3d year, he'll be...
Spoiler:
...every bit as good as Brandon Clarke has been in this his rookie year :)
How about that, huh?!?! 8-)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#1042 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:52 am

DCZards wrote:You want optimism. Well, here’s an optimistic take. Here are Rui’s per 36 rookie season numbers as compared to the rookie season numbers of another Gonzaga player who has turned out be a pretty good NBA player--Domantas Sabonis.

FG%
Sabonis – .439
Rui – .482
3Pt%
Sabonis – .321
Rui – .208
FT%
Sabonis – .657
Rui – .852
PTs
Sabonis – 10.6
Rui – 17.2
REBs
Sabonis – 6.4
Rui – 7.2
STLs
Sabonis – .09
Rui - .09
BLKs
Sabonis – .07
Rui – .01

I don't think I've ever seen someone improve his rebounding so much. Sabonis went from 6.4 rebounds per 36 in his 1st season to 13.5 rebounds per 36 in his 3rd season! And it's not like his 1st season was a low sample size issue or anything. 1600 minutes is a ton for a rookie.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1043 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:23 pm

Read on Twitter
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1044 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:39 am

nate33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I guess his bongas are tuned up
In Rizzo we trust
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#1045 » by BearlyBallin » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Enjoy your day Rui.
Nice game vs Dallas too.

Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1046 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:35 pm

It's small sample size theater, but in his 2 games since coming back from injury, Rui has averaged 18.6 points and 9.3 boards per 36 minutes on a TS% of .643
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1047 » by tontoz » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:48 pm

Interesting comments from Wall during the telecast. He was saying that Rui was settling for jumpers too often before his injury which was true. He seemed to be looking to drive more last night and when the defender cut him off he ended up with a 5 footer instead of a 15 footer. He looks pretty comfortable on those short turnaround Js but sometimes looks a little stiff from midrange.

3 pt shot looked good. He was shooting them decisively and using his legs more which seems to be an issue for him.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#1048 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Black Samuria... I like it, a nod to African Samurai, Yasuke around 1581. TV series & movie coming.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1049 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:05 pm

Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#1050 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 am

He looks a lot more determined/aggressive these last few games.
And I loved the pass to Wagner, play starts around the 3:45 mark.
Let it run and they replay it a few times. Smooth move of the game. :lol:

~ Confucius about 500 BC
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,632

Post#1051 » by oldshoolballer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:34 am

BearlyBallin wrote:

Agreed more aggressive and playing to his strength that midrange jumper is just money.I really like him being more aggressive on the defensive end earlier he looked to passive and scared to commit fouls.This was his most complete game to me very Kawhi-like.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1052 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:51 pm

2 blocks last night - giving him 5 for the season. I wonder if he's been able to make a change in the way he defends. In the past, he's always looked too hyper on defense. Last night, he looked under control - not trying to force the issue.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1053 » by JWizmentality » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:29 pm

oldshoolballer wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:

Agreed more aggressive and playing to his strength that midrange jumper is just money.I really like him being more aggressive on the defensive end earlier he looked to passive and scared to commit fouls.This was his most complete game to me very Kawhi-like.

Yup, he's getting more comfortable out there. Still a little herky jerky when it comes to putting the ball on the floor, but that confidence will come in time. Really hoping he starts launching 3s.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1054 » by prime1time » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:45 pm

Most complete game of the season. I wonder if being able to get away from the game during the injury helped.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1055 » by pcbothwel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:33 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
oldshoolballer wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:

He is so immensely talented that I understand why we took the gamble.
His body is simply ahead of his read/reaction time, which makes him look out of sorts and sometime over zealous... but you can see it starting to slow down.
You can see his body is simply built to be an NBA player. Not just height and wingspan, but his proportions in his hands, torso vs legs, etc. It also matter that Gonzaga played in 74 games in Rui's last two years... and he played in EVERY SINGLE ONE.
I have a feeling he is going to be an NBA iron man, which is important in this day and age... so long as Bonga stays away from his boys (LOL)

I think Wall comes back to about the same caliber of player and Beal continues in his trajectory. We will be the comeback team next year and they'll receive a ton of accolades and Wall will surely be on some intimate sit down with ESPN or something about turning his career around... but the truth is, Brown, Rui, Bryant, Bonga, and Wagner are going to be the real story.

A group of 2nd guessed, overlooked players that will be of far more significance on an opposing teams scouting report than a Headline on ESPN.

Mark it down. If we draft Killian Hayes to go with this group, I'd be willing to bet Hayes, Brown, Bonga, Rui, Wagner/Bryant could beat most not top 10 teams starting 5 by 21/22.

Wall
Beal
Brown
Rui
Bryant

Bench: Hayes, Bonga, Bertans, Wagner, Mathews, Tillman (2nd), Full MLE

I'll take that 12 man group and not blink
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#1056 » by NatP4 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:29 pm

I’m still skeptical on Wall being a net positive player ever again. Before his injury he was pretty awful. Still think this team needs a quality young point guard before they are a real threat of any kind
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1057 » by DCZards » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’m still skeptical on Wall being a net positive player ever again. Before his injury he was pretty awful. Still think this team needs a quality young point guard before they are a real threat of any kind

Wall will be fine. I'm expecting to see a more mature player who will be a significant contributor to the Zards success over the next few years, as he has often been in the past. He certainly shows every sign of wanting to prove the doubters wrong.

And it could be that his bone spur issues (which we now know has been a problem for years) had a greater impact on his on court performance (or what you call his "pretty awful" play) than we realize.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#1058 » by NatP4 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:50 pm

DCZards wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I’m still skeptical on Wall being a net positive player ever again. Before his injury he was pretty awful. Still think this team needs a quality young point guard before they are a real threat of any kind

Wall will be fine. I'm expecting to see a more mature player who will be a significant contributor to the Zards success over the next few years, as he has often been in the past. He certainly shows every sign of wanting to prove the doubters wrong.

And it could be that his bone spur issues (which we now know has been a problem for years) had a greater impact on his on court performance (or what you call his "pretty awful" play) than we realize.

Call me skeptical, but I don’t think an Achilles tear is going to help any player improve.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#1059 » by pcbothwel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:58 pm

Fair enough... but the 3 things that stand out to me for Wall are:

1) Shooting: Assuming no major mechanical issues (MKG), most Players over the last 5-8 years have shown to get marginally better from 3. Wall has basically been doing nothing but working on his shot for months. If he's a 35% 3pt shooter while reducing contested 2's, his offensive efficiency jumps considerably. From 2013 - 2018, John was considerably worse as a shooter (eFG & 3Pt%) in the 4th quarter. I simply think his legs were gone at that point, but he was trying to tough through it. Not every player can be freak cardio machines like LeBron and Westbrook (Though his apparent lack of conditioning didnt help).

2) Usage: Wall will be coming back to the youngest and most talented team in his career. I think he is smart enough to not step on the momentum Beal and the young guys have created. As mentioned above, if he can hit some open 3's while cutting out some long 2's/iso shots... he'll be more efficient and fresher on the defense, which leads to the next point

3) Switching: While reduced usage and a more competitive environment (And hopefully a better coach) will help John with defense, I think his ability to switch the 1-3 (And some 4's) while surely be a welcome change from chasing Kemba, Kyrie, etc. all over the floor and fighting through screens.

Point is, John is a gamer. He had a disaster of a franchise placed on his shoulders at 19/20 while trying to grow as a man and making the Max salary every step of the way (1st pick, rookie ext. max, Supermax).

For the first time in his life, he has been left alone to grow as person, start a family, and watch the team/organization rebuild.
I think he thrives next to a Prime Beal, young/dynamic wings, and bigs that can spread the floor.

Doesnt mean we win 55 games and contend for a title, but I do see positives and an avenue in which this team can be very interesting before re-evaluating in a couple years.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#1060 » by pcbothwel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:30 pm

NatP4 wrote:
DCZards wrote:

Call me skeptical, but I don’t think an Achilles tear is going to help any player improve.

You're correct, but no one is saying he'll be more productive. He will just pick his shots better as his usage decreases. The ole John Smoltz effect (AS caliber starter for 10-11 years. Tommy John Surgery at 33. Came back at 35 and was the best closer in baseball for 3 years).
Is Dwight Howard more productive now than he was in Houston? No. But is he better?...
Marc Gasol 32 vs 25? David West? Eric Bledsoe? Iguodala? PJ Tucker? Larmacus Aldridge? Rudy Gay? Ginobli? Blak Griffin?... Ok, ill stop. lol

Also, its not like we are comparing 100% of Wall vs Post Achilles Wall. We are comparing Post Achilles Wall to numerous knee/conditioning/weight issue Wall.
Assuming... key word. Assuming Wall has his diet and conditioning in order (appears so) and his knee injuries are no longer a constant issue, then you have to take that into consideration.
I.E. % physical decline for age/Achilles vs % physical improvement for healthy knees, weight, conditioning...
Seems trivial, but its not.

Sorry to Hijack Rui thread for this Wall side bar

Return to Washington Wizards