ImageImageImage

Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 2

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 2 

Post#1341 » by Imon » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:34 pm

This guy makes some really great Mavs-related artwork.
All-star Luka!
Really glad the Mavs have an all-star again. For a moment there, back in 2018, I thought the Mavs would go forward with a core of Barnes, DSJ, and Bamba.
Read on Twitter
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#1342 » by bran muffin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:42 am

I've been saying since last year: Luka's effectiveness drops significantly when he tires. He's not someone that should be playing 36 minutes. He should never play more than 33 minutes in regulation.

I know that he is averaging only 33 mpg this season. But that's inaccurate because he sat out many 4th quarters in blow outs. And he also had that one game where he played only 1 minute because of injury. Take away those outliers, and it's clear the Mavs have been using him ike a 35/36 mpg player. Way too much and the results are predictable. It's no surprise the Mavs regularly choke away leads at the end of games.
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#1343 » by Archx » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 am

bran muffin wrote:I've been saying since last year: Luka's effectiveness drops significantly when he tires. He's not someone that should be playing 36 minutes. He should never play more than 33 minutes in regulation.

I know that he is averaging only 33 mpg this season. But that's inaccurate because he sat out many 4th quarters in blow outs. And he also had that one game where he played only 1 minute because of injury. Take away those outliers, and it's clear the Mavs have been using him ike a 35/36 mpg player. Way too much and the results are predictable. It's no surprise the Mavs regularly choke away leads at the end of games.

I don't see problems with him playing 35mpg but i see a problem where he plays entire quarters. I can't remember when he had a great close out game when he played 2 full quarters prior to that. Us fans figured it out long time ago, Mavs coaching staff figured it out recently and yet Rick still plays him 10-11/12 mins per Q. I would much rather see him play 10 mins in the 4th Q than 12 mins in the 1st Q.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1344 » by arkuo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:24 am

When you cant play a 20 year old kid 35 minutes in a game because of his conditioning then that's a problem. As he grows into his 30s, you're essentially looking at a supermax player just playing 15 mins? C'mon man.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#1345 » by agentofatlas » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:48 am

arkuo wrote:When you cant play a 20 year old kid 35 minutes in a game because of his conditioning then that's a problem. As he grows into his 30s, you're essentially looking at a supermax player just playing 15 mins? C'mon man.

True. His usage rate also needs to go down. Active rest, like what Lebron does is needed. Also trading some of those drives and 3 pt shots to mid range will help in fatigue management.

That said there is no excuse for his FT tanking. He will never be clutch with that percentage.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1346 » by arkuo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:15 am

agentofatlas wrote:
arkuo wrote:When you cant play a 20 year old kid 35 minutes in a game because of his conditioning then that's a problem. As he grows into his 30s, you're essentially looking at a supermax player just playing 15 mins? C'mon man.

True. His usage rate also needs to go down. Active rest, like what Lebron does is needed. Also trading some of those drives and 3 pt shots to mid range will help in fatigue management.

That said there is no excuse for his FT tanking. He will never be clutch with that percentage.

He needs to bring that FT% up to Steve Nash or Dirk Nowitzki levels. It will help him as he gets fouled a lot in his drives to the rim.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#1347 » by agentofatlas » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:18 am

arkuo wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

He needs to bring that FT% up to Steve Nash or Dirk Nowitzki levels. It will help him as he gets fouled a lot in his drives to the rim.

That's maybe asking too much. He's not as good a shooter as Nash or Dirk. He's more of a volume scorer like Pierce or Kobe. I think 80-85% is the ideal number.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#1348 » by wolfram » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:36 am

He was much better FT shooter in Europe. I don't get it. Is the line farther out in the NBA? :)
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,604

Post#1349 » by Dirk » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:33 pm

wolfram wrote:He was much better FT shooter in Europe. I don't get it. Is the line farther out in the NBA? :)

I just checked, his FT% in the Spanish League in the last 2 seasons, 78.5% and then dropped to 75.2%. But seems like in the Euroleague he shot better 81-2%, shot well considering the added pressure.

Personally, I don't even think "it's pressure". It's likely more about "maturing" and owning his emotions better. I say this because you see him miss fts at random times in the games, at moments where there is no real pressure. He is putting "the pressure on himself". You can't really trust him to hit fts at any point in the game, it just ends up being worse late of course.

i feel he just isn't able to control his emotions as much as he needs to yet. Free throws and how to handle the refs stuff. Free throws --- you constantly see him fight himself, laugh at himself, curse himself... ridicule himself for his missed fts and some missed 3pts too --- then he laughs at the heavens when he makes one. He forces a shot or two simply to prove to himself "I can make them". He literally has plays where he is still thinking about a bad call that wasn't made and his focus slips... I don't mind him complaining/talking to refs, but he has to channel the energy better.

It's kind of hard to understand how he lets himself be that much affected though. He does tons of other things on the floor that are high difficulty and done under stress. The free throws should actually be a great chance to cool down... and hopefully they will be eventually as he fights off the demons.

I don't worry too much about fts or even 3pointers yet, I mean... it's bad that he is shooting 66% in January, but is it a mental thing or a physical/mechanics thing? He has missed badly at times, but I imagine most think it's "mental". Just over 100 NBA games. Way ahead of the curve. So it's all good...still.

I am more concerned with his focus/effort/attention slipping at times. There was one game or two where it was really rough because the other team was being physical,no calls, he was upset and he was exposed too much to injuries/triying to do too much. Then he occasionally takes some plays off because he's still upset at something on the other end.

Ideally you just want him to channel his rage better.

By the way, I actually think he is playing okay and am not buying the "Oh he's tired" thing (if he truly is tired and really struggling, there is a whole new level he is yet to drop down to and he hasn't yet... let's check how he looks post-all star, that's where we probably will get a good read regarding his 'tiredness').

TL;DR He's still pretty good and doing fine all things considered.
Gfycat Video - Click to Play
60/21/10
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#1350 » by BlueSan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:51 pm

Dirk wrote:
wolfram wrote:He was much better FT shooter in Europe. I don't get it. Is the line farther out in the NBA? :)

I just checked, his FT% in the Spanish League in the last 2 seasons, 78.5% and then dropped to 75.2%. But seems like in the Euroleague he shot better 81-2%, shot well considering the added pressure.

Personally, I don't even think "it's pressure". It's likely more about "maturing" and owning his emotions better. I say this because you see him miss fts at random times in the games, at moments where there is no real pressure. He is putting "the pressure on himself". You can't really trust him to hit fts at any point in the game, it just ends up being worse late of course.

i feel he just isn't able to control his emotions as much as he needs to yet. Free throws and how to handle the refs stuff. Free throws --- you constantly see him fight himself, laugh at himself, curse himself... ridicule himself for his missed fts and some missed 3pts too --- then he laughs at the heavens when he makes one. He forces a shot or two simply to prove to himself "I can make them". He literally has plays where he is still thinking about a bad call that wasn't made and his focus slips... I don't mind him complaining/talking to refs, but he has to channel the energy better.

It's kind of hard to understand how he lets himself be that much affected though. He does tons of other things on the floor that are high difficulty and done under stress. The free throws should actually be a great chance to cool down... and hopefully they will be eventually as he fights off the demons.

I don't worry too much about fts or even 3pointers yet, I mean... it's bad that he is shooting 66% in January, but is it a mental thing or a physical/mechanics thing? He has missed badly at times, but I imagine most think it's "mental". Just over 100 NBA games. Way ahead of the curve. So it's all good...still.

I am more concerned with his focus/effort/attention slipping at times. There was one game or two where it was really rough because the other team was being physical,no calls, he was upset and he was exposed too much to injuries/triying to do too much. Then he occasionally takes some plays off because he's still upset at something on the other end.

Ideally you just want him to channel his rage better.

By the way, I actually think he is playing okay and am not buying the "Oh he's tired" thing (if he truly is tired and really struggling, there is a whole new level he is yet to drop down to and he hasn't yet... let's check how he looks post-all star, that's where we probably will get a good read regarding his 'tiredness').

TL;DR He's still pretty good and doing fine all things considered.

It is Dirk. This guy loves the limelights and like mentioned in the game thread fatigue plays no role in FT making. Scientifically proven.

As for 3pt shots, I strongly believe he is taking those hard one's on purpose in order to improve them for when they will be needed this year in PO's or down the stretch in his career. I do not believe for a second he is taking them because he thinks those are the best possible shot. He is a guy, that will immediately play the best possible move on the court if it benefits the team. But I believe this is something they are doing on purpose and is in agreement with the coaching staff. Think of it as long term investment.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#1351 » by The Sparest » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:14 am

agentofatlas wrote:
arkuo wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

That's maybe asking too much. He's not as good a shooter as Nash or Dirk. He's more of a volume scorer like Pierce or Kobe. I think 80-85% is the ideal number.
I think Luka can turn himself into a better shooter, just like Dirk turned himself into a better rebounder. It is a question of desire more than ability or talent.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,604

Post#1352 » by Dirk » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:18 pm

Luka, consider adding this to your arsenal, the short to mid-range game, look at Paul's ways of scoring in the clutch

But never lose this

The ZOMG 3s is a big overreaction [don't limit the potential of a second year guy], because he's still doing this. Both were, unusually, missed...

60/21/10
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,902

Post#1353 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 5, 2020 6:26 pm

Link to the video of Jimmy speaking is in this link.

Jimmy Butler gives massive props to Luka Doncic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thesmokingcuban.com/2020/02/04/dallas-mavericks-2020-jimmy-butler-praise-luka-doncic/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#1354 » by skywalker33 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 3:29 am

So how long is Doncic out?? I'd really love to see you guys pass HOU and it doesn't look good w/o him when you are having trouble vs the Grizz tonight
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1355 » by HMFFL » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:40 pm

Luka Doncic (right ankle sprain) went through 5-on-5 work at the Mavs practice facility on Monday, and he's hopeful to be cleared for Wednesday's game against the Kings.

This is the first time that Doncic has been able to get through any 5-on-5 work since going down with the ankle injury, and while he won't play tonight, it does sound like there's a chance he'll be cleared for the Mavs final game heading into the All-Star break. If he is able to get back out there, Jalen Brunson would return to the bench and Kristaps Porzingis' value would take a hit.

RELATED: 

Kristaps Porzingis

, Jalen Brunson

SOURCE: Tim MacMahon on Twitter

Feb 10, 2020, 4:59 PM ET

Archx
General Manager

Post#1356 » by Archx » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:27 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Jalen Brunson would return to the bench and Kristaps Porzingis' value would take a hit.

LOL? :o What's the solution? Trade Luka so KP's value can stay high? :P
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1357 » by HMFFL » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:59 pm

Archx wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Jalen Brunson would return to the bench and Kristaps Porzingis' value would take a hit.

Rotoworld.com meant in reference to fantasy basketball...HA!

Archx
General Manager

Post#1358 » by Archx » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:27 am

HMFFL wrote:
Archx wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

Rotoworld.com meant in reference to fantasy basketball...HA!

Oh ok, was worded so weird, didn't fully understand the context :lol: But on second thought, KP's value can stay high if he can keep his efficiency, so it's up to him really :P
slovenia8
Ballboy
And1: 23

LUKA DONCIC promo video 

Post#1359 » by slovenia8 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi guys. I am from Slovenia and I made the promo video from the link below of Luka Doncic. I hope you like it :).
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1360 » by HMFFL » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:40 am

Return to Dallas Mavericks