Kristaps Porziņģis activated

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,902

Re: Kristaps Porziņģis activated 

Post#441 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:46 am

Tonight LA and Philly tomorrow having him sit is best. Come Jan 14th I hope that's the target date for him to return when we go on the road to face Golden State.
Another back to back GS and Sacramento.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,633

Post#442 » by taikibansei » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:49 pm

evevale wrote:Not his surgically repaired knee so no sense in diving headfirst into despair until more details are known. With how KP usually performs in the 2nd half of the season, this rest is more than likely a blessing in disguise (assuming the injury isn't more serious than what is currently known).

I'm less concerned about his current knee situation than I am about his synergy with Luka. Constantly living/playing in his shadow will likely affect his confidence and growth moving forward and it doesn't seem worth it for Luka to dial it back to get KP, or anyone, more involved. I wonder if Dallas has any regrets picking up THJ/KP as their cumulative cost could net them an actual superstar player like Giannis or AD in the offseason.

I continue to wonder why Knicks fans insist on these hot takes with regards to KP. Dallas plays at a .600 clip with KP in the lineup. More to the point, when Luka was out, they played five of the top eight teams in the NBA--Heat, Bucks, 76ers, Raps, and Celts--and beat two, with the other three of these games all going down to the wire.

Without KP but with Luka, they've been worse, particularly when you consider the level of competition. Does this mean that KP is better than Luka? No. What it demonstrates, however, is just how well KP meshes with the needs of this team. When KP is on the court, opposing teams change the way they play Dallas. Don't quote stats: watch the damn games. Players hesitate when they take shots within 6 feet, as they don't want their shots blocked. (You can see them second-guessing and looking around even when KP is not near.) I.e., even when KP doesn't get the block, he's impacting the game. And when Dallas is on offense, an opposing big needs to cover KP outside, making it easier for Luka to operate. Luka can still hit the three when open, but more importantly, he can drive into the interior knowing that at least one interior defender is out shadowing KP. This allows Luka either to take it to the rim himself or to make a spectacular pass. Again, you need to watch the games to see how much better they play with KP.

Finally, these pipe dreams of signing a top-five superstar...how'd that work out for the Knicks this past offseason? Indeed, as we demonstrate every summer, unless the superstar has publicly stated a desire to play for a certain team (and only that team), you should never make plans based around the possible signing of that superstar as a FA.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,604

Post#443 » by Dirk » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:56 pm

taikibansei wrote:
evevale wrote:Not his surgically repaired knee so no sense in diving headfirst into despair until more details are known. With how KP usually performs in the 2nd half of the season, this rest is more than likely a blessing in disguise (assuming the injury isn't more serious than what is currently known).

I'm less concerned about his current knee situation than I am about his synergy with Luka. Constantly living/playing in his shadow will likely affect his confidence and growth moving forward and it doesn't seem worth it for Luka to dial it back to get KP, or anyone, more involved. I wonder if Dallas has any regrets picking up THJ/KP as their cumulative cost could net them an actual superstar player like Giannis or AD in the offseason.

I continue to wonder why Knicks fans insist on these hot takes with regards to KP. Dallas plays at a .600 clip with KP in the lineup. More to the point, when Luka was out, they played five of the top eight teams in the NBA--Heat, Bucks, 76ers, Raps, and Celts--and beat two, with the other three of these games all going down to the wire.

Without KP but with Luka, they've been worse, particularly when you consider the level of competition. Does this mean that KP is better than Luka? No. What it demonstrates, however, is just how well KP meshes with the needs of this team. When KP is on the court, opposing teams change the way they play Dallas. Don't quote stats: watch the damn games. Players hesitate when they take shots within 6 feet, as they don't want their shots blocked. (You can see them second-guessing and looking around even when KP is not near.) I.e., even when KP doesn't get the block, he's impacting the game. And when Dallas is on offense, an opposing big needs to cover KP outside, making it easier for Luka to operate. Luka can still hit the three when open, but more importantly, he can drive into the interior knowing that at least one interior defender is out shadowing KP. This allows Luka either to take it to the rim himself or to make a spectacular pass. Again, you need to watch the games to see how much better they play with KP.

Finally, these pipe dreams of signing a top-five superstar...how'd that work out for the Knicks this past offseason? Indeed, as we demonstrate every summer, unless the superstar has publicly stated a desire to play for a certain team (and only that team), you should never make plans based around the possible signing of that superstar as a FA.

KP's impact his undeniable, but his absence is being exacerbated by the fact that the Mavs don't have a cheap alternative/backup that could fill in for him. Without him the Mavs just went extra small and thin. You replaced a 7 foot 3 guy (and THJ) for a small forward like Jackson and Barea... and the current lineup is just too small. Carlisle went away from Powell/Maxi really really fast.

Only way you regret the trade is if KP is truly injury prone and has chronic knee issues or something.

Ironically, I also feared that he was a diva and it was possible he could pull something on Dallas. But to be honest, based on everything I have seen, he looks fine to me from a 'mental' standpoint. Engaged, energetic, always around the team.. does a lot of dirty work on the floor. Anyone who projects how happy or unhappy he will be with his role is better than me.

I would buy more into that 'unhappy' narrative if KP had actually been performing better and therefore 'shots were being taken away from him'. But anyone who watches, has seen how badly he has struggled in certain spots. The team is doing him a favor by not putting him in those positions --- he just looked really bad. When Luka was out, his usage% didn't have a great spike either.

Thing is, his game was improving all the time. Last time you saw him, he was faking people out, driving, kicking... maybe it is a question of time until he is better in certain positions and then you progressively see him get more touches there. Unfortunately, for some reason, he still rushed his shots way too much when he was 1x1 and playing smaller guys.

Other than the injury factor, they will not regret the trade. It actually looks even better now. Not only did he show some special tools that fit the team perfectly, but DSJ took a nosedive. THJ has been decent and apparently is a good guy in the locker room. KP, despite not shooting well, makes good impact on games (his net rating was abysmal at one point, but then it started turning around and what you saw on the floor, was also reflected on that metric).

Luka dominates everything. So anyone that plays with him will be a distant second fiddle. Forget KP, you can even see some troll posts elsewhere accusing Luka of hogging the ball and stuff like that. You can make a case for many players to be unhappy... because... you will want the ball in the Luka's hands. And it's clear that the offense is better when KP is deployed as a stretch center. I do hope that they don't abandon the mid-range/elbow area/post up. There are some glaring height mismatches that he gets. We've all seen the Mavs struggle to execute in close games. It'd be nice to have a guy that you could switch on certain defenders and be confident that he can get you a good shot.

Feels like it's been an age since this guy has played. Luka got hurt. He help up well on his own. Then Luka is still getting back and he has this knee thing. This really stings, you're going to lose about a month where you didn't see the full team playing.
60/21/10
evevale
Lead Assistant
And1: 16,505

Post#444 » by evevale » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:14 pm

taikibansei wrote:

Where am I quoting stats or discrediting what KP does on the defensive end? Nowhere. I like KP, I watch nearly every Mavs game because he's on my fantasy team and I love watching Luka. Don't assume and put words in my mouth and take a homer stance trying to fish for And1s :lol:

There are plenty of people concerned about KP's health and they have good reason for it. I'm hoping he returns strong but I have my doubts, you going to quote me on that too? Though I'm not at all surprised people would take this hyper-aggressive take against anyone speaking against KP, just didn't expect it to be a brown nosed NY fan.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#445 » by taikibansei » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:20 pm

Dirk wrote: Ironically, I also feared that he was a diva and it was possible he could pull something on Dallas. But to be honest, based on everything I have seen, he looks fine to me from a 'mental' standpoint. Engaged, energetic, always around the team.. does a lot of dirty work on the floor. Anyone who projects how happy or unhappy he will be with his role is better than me.

Regarding the bit in bold, I get it, but as I've argued on RealGM before, KP's reputation as a diva while on the Knicks was undeserved. That team was (and is) a mess. We had a declining Melo (who refused to read the memo on said decline) as our one legit star; throughout KP's first two years, Melo was in pretty much constant and very open war with management (particularly Phil). The coaching absolutely sucked--e.g., Rose and Noah once complained publicly about how we didn't practice defense (as in ever), so we made Kurt **** Rambis (lifetime winning percentage of .284) our defensive coach. We had the worst point guards in the league during KP's stint there--the best of the bunch was Rose, who was just finishing a trial for rape, and who was not mentally in the games during his one season with us. The other pgs were far, far worse--look up their stats, and be prepared to weep. I mean that last season with KP playing, our starting point guard was the 34-year-old Jarrett Jack--a poor passer and worse (.455 eFG%, .489 TS%) shooter, it was to be his last year in the NBA. Jarrett was so ineffective that Coach Hornacek tried starting Mudiay and even Ntilikina for extended periods...only they were both even worse...so we went back to Jarrett. Think about that for a minute.

I strongly agree with the observation in the underlined part of your post. The bottom line is that KP had a right to question Knicks management. (Heck, I question Knicks management just about daily myself....) Doesn't make him a diva, just somebody with common sense.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#446 » by taikibansei » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:28 pm

evevale wrote:Where am I quoting stats or discrediting what KP does on the defensive end? Nowhere. I like KP, I watch nearly every Mavs game because he's on my fantasy team and I love watching Luka. Don't assume and put words in my mouth and take a homer stance trying to fish for And1s :lol:

There are plenty of people concerned about KP's health and they have good reason for it. I'm hoping he returns strong but I have my doubts, you going to quote me on that too? Though I'm not at all surprised people would take this hyper-aggressive take against anyone speaking against KP, just didn't expect it to be a brown nosed NY fan.

That's all you got? :lol: Dude, I quoted you saying this,

evevale wrote:

I responded to the bit underlined above, but now I'm responding to the bit in bold. You literally said right there that you're less concerned about KP's injury than about his fit, but now you're trying to backtrack? :lol: Weak sauce. You don't like being called out, stop posting crap here or elsewhere.

KP fits in fine. He works well with Luka, doesn't complain, and is responding well to the coaching staff. The only concern moving forward is his health (which is why I agree with Dirk that bench depth is needed too).
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#447 » by Dirk » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:47 pm

taikibansei wrote:
Dirk wrote: Ironically, I also feared that he was a diva and it was possible he could pull something on Dallas. But to be honest, based on everything I have seen, he looks fine to me from a 'mental' standpoint. Engaged, energetic, always around the team.. does a lot of dirty work on the floor. Anyone who projects how happy or unhappy he will be with his role is better than me.

Regarding the bit in bold, I get it, but as I've argued on RealGM before, KP's reputation as a diva while on the Knicks was undeserved. That team was (and is) a mess. We had a declining Melo (who refused to read the memo on said decline) as our one legit star; throughout KP's first two years, Melo was in pretty much constant and very open war with management (particularly Phil). The coaching absolutely sucked--e.g., Rose and Noah once complained publicly about how we didn't practice defense (as in ever), so we made Kurt **** Rambis (lifetime winning percentage of .284) our defensive coach. We had the worst point guards in the league during KP's stint there--the best of the bunch was Rose, who was just finishing a trial for rape, and who was not mentally in the games during his one season with us. The other pgs were far, far worse--look up their stats, and be prepared to weep. I mean that last season with KP playing, our starting point guard was the 34-year-old Jarrett Jack--a poor passer and worse (.455 eFG%, .489 TS%) shooter, it was to be his last year in the NBA. Jarrett was so ineffective that Coach Hornacek tried starting Mudiay and even Ntilikina for extended periods...only they were both even worse...so we went back to Jarrett. Think about that for a minute.

The bottom line is that KP had a right to question Knicks management. (Heck, I question Knicks management just about daily myself....) Doesn't make him a diva, just somebody with common sense.

From the outside, it seemed like the fans liked him. He was in NY. He was going to get paid. Usually, despite being in bad teams, players off rookie deals sign the max deal and then ask out at some point if things don't improve. In the midst of all of this he has 'his entourage' thing... which muddles things even more. I felt he came off as delusional to be honest. We just don't see guys on rookie deals 'ask out'.

I understand that behind closed doors he may not have been as appreciated as he should or he may have felt slighted, but make no mistake, you still hope your draft pick sticks with you and isn't wanting out as early as he did. The Knicks didn't have to trade him though or they could probably have handled it differently. They probably just felt confident in striking gold in free agency. I also felt the Knicks looked really bad post trade as it clearly seemed like they were going out of their way to portray him negatively...

Anyway, he definitely looks 'smart' now. Got the money and is playing in a better environment/team. Knicks still look well away from being a good team, so he'd be miserable there this year. More power to him for his move. It was clearly the right option. If you're the Mavs though, you have to acknowledge his history. From what we can tell, he looks like a smart guy, says all the right things (really, the guy is really really well spoken, he is very bright) and has been doing all the right things... so yeah, unless one is really into soap operas, there is no evidence of him being unhappy with his role or something like that.
60/21/10
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#448 » by taikibansei » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:03 pm

Dirk wrote:From the outside, it seemed like the fans liked him. He was in NY. He was going to get paid. Usually, despite being in bad teams, players off rookie deals sign the max deal and then ask out at some point if things don't improve. In the midst of all of this he has 'his entourage' thing... which muddles things even more. I felt he came off as delusional to be honest.

I understand that behind closed doors he may not have been as appreciated as he should or he may have felt slighted, but make no mistake, you still hope your draft pick sticks with you and isn't wanting out as early as he did. The Knicks didn't have to trade him though or they could probably have handled it differently. They probably just felt confident in striking gold in free agency. I also felt the Knicks looked really bad post trade as it clearly seemed like they were going out of their way to portray him negatively...

Anyway, he definitely looks 'smart' now. Got the money and is playing in a better environment/team. Knicks still look well away from being a good team, so he'd be miserable there this year. More power to him for his move. It was clearly the right option. If you're the Mavs though, you have to acknowledge his history. From what we can tell, he looks like a smart guy, says all the right things (really, the guy is really really well spoken, he is very bright( and has been doing all the right things... so yeah, unless one is really into soap operas, there is no evidence of him being unhappy with his role or something like that.

The entourage thing was (and is) an issue. I question, however, whether (and how much) we were really going to pay KP. Before and after his rookie season, Jackson sought trade offers for him. Jackson explored trading him after his second season as well. Within 24 hours of the trade request, Mills had the structure of the Dallas trade in place--heck, when KP's camp offered their preferred teams list the next day, it was already too late. This strongly suggests to me that the Knicks/Mills had already been exploring KP trades seriously for some time.

My gut feeling is that the hesitation to commit was on both sides...and known by both sides throughout.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#449 » by Dirk » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:30 pm

taikibansei wrote:The entourage thing was (and is) an issue. I question, however, whether (and how much) we were really going to pay KP. Before and after his rookie season, Jackson sought trade offers for him. Jackson explored trading him after his second season as well. Within 24 hours of the trade request, Mills had the structure of the Dallas trade in place--heck, when KP's camp offered their preferred list the next day, it was already too late. This strongly suggests to me that the Knicks had already been exploring KP trades for some time.

My gut feeling is that the hesitation to commit was on both sides.

Knicks need to bring in dakomish23 as the GM to right the ship.
60/21/10
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#450 » by taikibansei » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:36 pm

Dirk wrote:
taikibansei wrote:The entourage thing was (and is) an issue. I question, however, whether (and how much) we were really going to pay KP. Before and after his rookie season, Jackson sought trade offers for him. Jackson explored trading him after his second season as well. Within 24 hours of the trade request, Mills had the structure of the Dallas trade in place--heck, when KP's camp offered their preferred list the next day, it was already too late. This strongly suggests to me that the Knicks had already been exploring KP trades for some time.

My gut feeling is that the hesitation to commit was on both sides.

Knicks need to bring in dakomish23 as the GM to right the ship.

:lol:

He has my vote--can't be much worse than Thomas, Jackson, Grunwald, Mills, Perry, etc., etc.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,843

Post#451 » by dirkules_41 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:37 pm

Cuban was on the game broadcast last night and sounded very happy and relaxed when it came to KP and said he was fine and it was purely precautionary.
Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#452 » by Paija » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:01 pm

taikibansei wrote:
Dirk wrote:From the outside, it seemed like the fans liked him. He was in NY. He was going to get paid. Usually, despite being in bad teams, players off rookie deals sign the max deal and then ask out at some point if things don't improve. In the midst of all of this he has 'his entourage' thing... which muddles things even more. I felt he came off as delusional to be honest.

Anyway, he definitely looks 'smart' now. Got the money and is playing in a better environment/team. Knicks still look well away from being a good team, so he'd be miserable there this year. More power to him for his move. It was clearly the right option. If you're the Mavs though, you have to acknowledge his history. From what we can tell, he looks like a smart guy, says all the right things (really, the guy is really really well spoken, he is very bright( and has been doing all the right things... so yeah, unless one is really into soap operas, there is no evidence of him being unhappy with his role or something like that.

The entourage thing was (and is) an issue. I question, however, whether (and how much) we were really going to pay KP. Before and after his rookie season, Jackson sought trade offers for him. Jackson explored trading him after his second season as well. Within 24 hours of the trade request, Mills had the structure of the Dallas trade in place--heck, when KP's camp offered their preferred teams list the next day, it was already too late. This strongly suggests to me that the Knicks/Mills had already been exploring KP trades seriously for some time.

My gut feeling is that the hesitation to commit was on both sides...and known by both sides throughout.

I will not pretend to be objective, because I am first and foremost a KP fan, so I was Knicks fan from 2015 and reading a lot of their forums. Except the initial booing the Knicks fans were overhyping him a lot. Just remember how he was called besides Unicorn - Porzingod, Godzingis. There was even a short film where guys were praying in front of KP picture! Is it any wonder that guy felt more important to the franchise than it actually was?

About the entourage - KP is the youngest in the family and they probably felt that letting the guy move across the ocean on his own at the ripe age of 19 is not the wisest thing. The hype, having money for the first time etc. Initially everyone was happy that KPs family is with him. What WAS unfortunate - that KP's agent's (Miller) license was revoked and the eldest brother Janis who worked under him decided that he now knows enough and they did not hire a professional agent. Now they probably are wiser and I believe that KP is appreciating the winning environment and a sound organization.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Post#453 » by Imon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:41 am

KP traveled to Las Vegas to watch a one minute fight...
Look, I know the Mavs have three days off between their games but I hope KP is taking his rehab seriously.
Read on Twitter
J_T
Veteran

Post#454 » by J_T » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:25 pm

Imon wrote:KP traveled to Las Vegas to watch a one minute fight...
Look, I know the Mavs have three days off between their games but I hope KP is taking his rehab seriously.
Read on Twitter

While I do question his taste, making a long trip to watch couple of washed out fighters pretending to be engaged in a relevant fight, I don't think it has any impact on his rehab.

I think that his knee is probably permanently injured, but he should be able to train and play his entire career without being seriously impacted by the chronic knee problem. The sooner they realize this, the better. If he actually intends to play only when he doesn't feel any knee pain, then he will play 5 games per season. He needs to toughen up and accept the new reality. Knees usually never 100% heal.

And again, it's not really a big deal. it doesn't make him damaged goods. If we saw a list of all NBA players with chronic knee or back pain, I think we would be shocked. Pretty sure the list consists of at least two thirds of the league.
J_T
Veteran

Post#455 » by J_T » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:57 pm

I would also recommend watching this video for a bit of analysis what is problematic. You can analyse different players to see if they are going to have problems.

For example I watched 9 KP's dunks from 2017 and he landed "correctly" in only 1 of the 9 dunks. The other 8 were problematic for the knees, some of them made me cringe, because I have knee issue myself. I picked a random highlights video from few weeks ago and checked KP's dunks. He dunked 6 times and landed correctly in all 6 of them. So he definitely knows what to do now and will not be repeating mistakes from his younger years.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#456 » by Dirk » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:01 pm

Momentum plays.

Gfycat Video - Click to Play

The what is he doing logo 3, known as the crowd silencer

These were right after blowing what looked like a very easy layup.

This guy has smarts and cojones. As long as health permits, he should be able to figure stuff out.
60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#457 » by Dirk » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:31 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Wasn’t he struggling next to Luka? IMO He needs to handle the ball a good amount to get into a rhythm. Can’t just be an off ball guy for a major portion of the game.

The Mavs starting unit is set for this season. Or was. Why change it. DFS is the only guy with a body type that can defend (or attempt to) certain players. Some players will never get the credit they deserve. The idea of benching DFS is ludicrous. They're already too small as it is.

Your boy has no regard for human life. 20 seconds on the clock, no conscience whatsoever. Alpha.

His Latvian brother is the same

You could hear KP call out HEY JB!!!

Feel bad for our man 3toheadmelo
60/21/10
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#458 » by dakomish23 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:29 pm

Dirk wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Wasn’t he struggling next to Luka? IMO He needs to handle the ball a good amount to get into a rhythm. Can’t just be an off ball guy for a major portion of the game.

The Mavs starting unit is set for this season. Or was. Why change it. DFS is the only guy with a body type that can defend (or attempt to) certain players. Some players will never get the credit they deserve. The idea of benching DFS is ludicrous. They're already too small as it is.

Your boy has no regard for human life. 20 seconds on the clock, no conscience whatsoever. Alpha.

His Latvian brother is the same

You could hear KP call out HEY JB!!!

Feel bad for our man 3toheadmelo

Ugh that first 3 brought back some bad memories. Do not let him get away with chit like that, Carlisle!

The last 3 is perfect for him. His PPP and % on spot ups (1.32 and 66.7% EFG) are in the elite category (95th percentile) this year.

When he tries to do too much, he will fail most nights.

KP heaving those once or twice a game is alright b/c that threat opens up the floor for everyone else.

Y’all really need another hybrid F. Morris would be great but I doubt our two clubs are dealing with each anytime soon :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#459 » by JamesConway » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Great stat:

KP + Luka two man-lineups are now up to +6 points per 100 possessions on a 700+ minutes sample size.

Earlier in the year they were a drastic negative. Huge, positive turnaround as they are figuring things out alongside each other.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porzikr01/lineups/2020
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#460 » by arkuo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:24 pm

JamesConway wrote:Great stat:

KP + Luka two man-lineups are now up to +6 points per 100 possessions on a 700+ minutes sample size.

Earlier in the year they were a drastic negative. Huge, positive turnaround as they are figuring things out alongside each other.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porzikr01/lineups/2020

I expect this number to go up further as KP gets his conditioning right next year. On top of a full training camp.

Too bad we missed out on Kemba. Another super scorer on the team would have freed up more open shots for Luka and KP.

Return to Dallas Mavericks