ImageImageImageImageImage

Battle for L.A. 2019-20

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Re: Battle for L.A. 2019-20 

Post#321 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:04 am

not a fan of either player but lebron is basically goat 1b behind jordan's 1a.

the post-jordan era players absolutely idolized kobe because he was the closest thing to jordan they had seen since jordan himself.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#322 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Young Sterling wrote:I hope Kawhi wins the title, just because his game models Kobe's the most. Kobe cared a lot about his legacy and I hate how the media and casuals seriously entertain the Lebron v. Kobe debate, the real former stars know Kobe was better. Right now it almost sounds like Lebron is being hyped up as better than Kobe. If Kawhi smacks Lebum in the playoffs, people will stop hyping up the fake king, and glorify Kobe even more because of how similar Kawhi's game is to his. Kawhi needs to win this one for his teacher, Kobe.

Don't do this, man. This is in really poor taste. :noway:
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#323 » by Young Sterling » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:I hope Kawhi wins the title, just because his game models Kobe's the most. Kobe cared a lot about his legacy and I hate how the media and casuals seriously entertain the Lebron v. Kobe debate, the real former stars know Kobe was better. Right now it almost sounds like Lebron is being hyped up as better than Kobe. If Kawhi smacks Lebum in the playoffs, people will stop hyping up the fake king, and glorify Kobe even more because of how similar Kawhi's game is to his. Kawhi needs to win this one for his teacher, Kobe.

I really hope the clippers win the title, but I don’t agree that Kobe was better than Lebron. I’m not a Lebron fan, but he essentially does everything better than Kobe did except free throw shooting.

Have you seen that video where MJ, Kevin Durant, Allen Iverson, Billups and other legendary players weigh in on Kobe v. Lebron? Literally all the players who've guarded both or understand basketball at the highest levels choose Kobe over Lebron. I wanted to post the video but I can't find it right now. When I type in Kobe and Lebron in youtube it's a sea of videos related to Kobe's death.. But have you seen that video? All the pros take Kobe over Lebron. There's a difference between what fans of the game think and what actual hoopers think. My buddy was making the claim that lebron has better stats and is better. Same guy is fat, doesn't play any sports but just watches... I play basketball and am a basketball agent. You can find a ton of guys who can make nice passes. But finding a walking bucket/someone who can get theirs at any given moment... that's the rarest skill of all.

Kobe didn't like how the media is becoming so stat obsessed. Take the other night, Kawhi is the best player in the league, but statistically he just had his first triple double... If you look at stats you can say Luka is better than Kawhi and so is everyone ahead of him in the MVP discussion this year. But would you rather have Kawhi or Luka/Harden/Damian Lillard etc lol? Hell if you look at stats Curry is better than Lebron, only thing lebron does better is dunk and get assists. Not even because guys like Curry and Kawhi can't get assists, but because they know how good they are at shooting and would rather score. Lebron can't even make three 3s in a row. Lebron plays safe and smart basketball. Guys like Kobe, Kawhi, and Kareem and dominated by mastering bad shots others couldn't even dream of making efficiently or just didn't have the guts to take.

Point being, there's stats and there's basketball. Non professional fans have a hard time differentiating, but I'd rather listen to the pros. It's like asking a mechanic to tell you whether one doctor is better than the other doctor.. :banghead:
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#324 » by Young Sterling » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:07 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

Could be coming off the wrong way for sure, but I've always been a Kobe fan. Recency bias has a lot of ppl taking away from his legacy and I just can't stand it. Sorry I'm human, Kobe cared about his legacy and so do I.
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#325 » by Young Sterling » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:12 pm

nickhx2 wrote:not a fan of either player but lebron is basically goat 1b behind jordan's 1a.

the post-jordan era players absolutely idolized kobe because he was the closest thing to jordan they had seen since jordan himself.

;t=33s

Yeah I mean KD just guarded both at their primes and it's not even close for him. He ain't the only one. Lebron plays like Magic Johnson, MJ and Kobe play a totally different way.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#326 » by 50CalClips » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:20 pm

Kobe Bryant transcends team-affiliation.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,314

Post#327 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 pm

Young Sterling wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

I really hope the clippers win the title, but I don’t agree that Kobe was better than Lebron. I’m not a Lebron fan, but he essentially does everything better than Kobe did except free throw shooting.

Have you seen that video where MJ, Kevin Durant, Allen Iverson, Billups and other legendary players weigh in on Kobe v. Lebron? Literally all the players who've guarded both or understand basketball at the highest levels choose Kobe over Lebron. I wanted to post the video but I can't find it right now. When I type in Kobe and Lebron in youtube it's a sea of videos related to Kobe's death.. But have you seen that video? All the pros take Kobe over Lebron. There's a difference between what fans of the game think and what actual hoopers think. My buddy was making the claim that lebron has better stats and is better. Same guy is fat, doesn't play any sports but just watches... I play basketball and am a basketball agent. You can find a ton of guys who can make nice passes. But finding a walking bucket/someone who can get theirs at any given moment... that's the rarest skill of all.

Kobe didn't like how the media is becoming so stat obsessed. Take the other night, Kawhi is the best player in the league, but statistically he just had his first triple double... If you look at stats you can say Luka is better than Kawhi and so is everyone ahead of him in the MVP discussion this year. But would you rather have Kawhi or Luka/Harden/Damian Lillard etc lol? Hell if you look at stats Curry is better than Lebron, only thing lebron does better is dunk and get assists. Not even because guys like Curry and Kawhi can't get assists, but because they know how good they are at shooting and would rather score. Lebron can't even make three 3s in a row. Lebron plays safe and smart basketball. Guys like Kobe, Kawhi, and Kareem and dominated by mastering bad shots others couldn't even dream of making efficiently or just didn't have the guts to take.

Point being, there's stats and there's basketball. Non professional fans have a hard time differentiating, but I'd rather listen to the pros. It's like asking a mechanic to tell you whether one doctor is better than the other doctor.. :banghead:

I don’t want to speak I’ll of the dead, but it isn’t just stats- I’ve cheered against lebron’s teams for years and he always scared me a lot more than Kobe in that he could dominate every facet of the game offensively and defensively. He has perhaps the best basketball iq I’ve ever seen. Again, respect to Kobe- he was great but Lebron is a top 3 all time player in my mind- behind Kareem and mj
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#328 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:24 am

i also don't feel it's a good time to be comparing players. had i used better judgment i'd have just not replied in the first place. he carved out his own unique legacy and meant a lot to a lot of people. i think that's all that really needs to be said.

i'll move on.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#329 » by donemilio21 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:08 am

This may sound like a conspiracy theory and it by no means to ignore the tragedy, which I still have hard time believing by the way, BUT with drop in revenue being on the news today, I can't stop thinking that how a Lakers championship this year would benefit NBA's business and revenue stream. People love storylines, and when they do they tune in to the games, pay thousands over the face value for tickets, buy more merchandise. NBA has a lot to gain from a Laker championship this year.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,802

Post#330 » by esqtvd » Sat Feb 1, 2020 9:36 am

Read on Twitter

Tonight's understandable loss to Portland aside, I was still giving the stinkeye to the Lakers' hot start. The Clippers 17-game winning streak in December 2012 meant nothing either. We played .500 ball the rest of the way. Veteran teams can beat up on young teams while they're getting their sh*t together, but that doesn't last.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#331 » by NippySudz » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:34 pm

Young Sterling wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

Could be coming off the wrong way for sure, but I've always been a Kobe fan. Recency bias has a lot of ppl taking away from his legacy and I just can't stand it. Sorry I'm human, Kobe cared about his legacy and so do I.

You don't have to **** on Lebron to honor kobe.

That being said, LeBron got a lot further with trash teammates than kobe ever did. That speaks to the level of his greatness. Several teams he took to the finals were lottery teams. the 2007 cavs had no business being in the finals. None.

and I really hate this "win for kobe" talk. It's so much in poor taste. Kobe had tons of students around the league. Kobe never entertained the Lebron vs Kobe debate. Kobe was friends with Lebron. Why are people doing this? It's just so silly. Do you really think people are going to put kawhi leonard in front of Lebron James all time because he won over Lebron and goes on to win the finals? No dude, of course not.

Kawhi's legacy gets some elevation, but he's not better than leBron historically, so why even try to argue that or support that narrative. Its just BS.

Kawhi is my favorite player, and I love his skillset. But come on dude.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#332 » by NippySudz » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:36 pm

donemilio21 wrote:This may sound like a conspiracy theory and it by no means to ignore the tragedy, which I still have hard time believing by the way, BUT with drop in revenue being on the news today, I can't stop thinking that how a Lakers championship this year would benefit NBA's business and revenue stream. People love storylines, and when they do they tune in to the games, pay thousands over the face value for tickets, buy more merchandise. NBA has a lot to gain from a Laker championship this year.

I hate to break the news to you, but the nba has a lot to gain from a laker championship every year. The knicks and the lakers are the nba's most popular franchises.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#333 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:00 am

esqtvd wrote:
Read on Twitter

Tonight's understandable loss to Portland aside, I was still giving the stinkeye to the Lakers' hot start. The Clippers 17-game winning streak in December 2012 meant nothing either. We played .500 ball the rest of the way. Veteran teams can beat up on young teams while they're getting their sh*t together, but that doesn't last.

toldja ;-)

Read on Twitter
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#334 » by SK21209 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:41 pm

After being very confident in our matchup with the Lakers all season/offseason I'm starting to get nervous about. I don't like that the media consensus seems to be that we'll beat them, especially in light of this Kobe thing. An "underdog" Lakers team lead by twilight of his career LeBron beating the best Clippers team ever to commemorate Kobe seems like a very basketball gods-ish narrative.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 956

Post#335 » by clipperlover » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:49 pm

esqtvd wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Read on Twitter

toldja ;-)

Read on Twitter

Clippers are 1 Lakers loss from controlling their own destiny to get the Top seed in the West. We have the 2 games remaining vs the Lakers to close most of the gap.

The Lakers still have several top conference opponents left other than us:
Bucks (1H)
Raptors (1A)
Rockets (1H)
Nuggets (1H, 1A)
Celtics (1H)
Jazz (1H, 1A)

We play some of the same Top opponents the rest of the way with the exception that the Lakers have Toronto, Bucks and an additional game vs the Jazz. Lakers also have two games left vs the Griz who they haven't played since Nov. We have 2 vs the 76ers to their 1.

We both have basically the same number of bottom feeders the rest of the way.

Based on the roster moves and the remaining schedules, the Clips should earn the Top Seed in the West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#336 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:50 pm

SK21209 wrote:After being very confident in our matchup with the Lakers all season/offseason I'm starting to get nervous about. I don't like that the media consensus seems to be that we'll beat them, especially in light of this Kobe thing. An "underdog" Lakers team lead by twilight of his career LeBron beating the best Clippers team ever to commemorate Kobe seems like a very basketball gods-ish narrative.

I don't have a count for you but it seemed there were more Clippers with a personal relationship with Kobe than current Lakers.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-kawhi-leonard-talked-kobe-bryant-right-after-winning-championship/
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,296

Post#337 » by Dynamix » Fri Feb 7, 2020 8:56 pm

It's pretty crazy to be within striking distance after so many games without Kawhi/PG and laying a bunch of eggs against lottery teams. But I'm not greedy, I'd be totally fine with the 2nd seed. Plus, the Lakers getting bounced early as a 1st seed would have a nicer ring to it. :)
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Post#338 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:01 pm

clipperlover wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Read on Twitter

toldja ;-)

Read on Twitter

Clippers are 1 Lakers loss from controlling their own destiny to get the Top seed in the West. We have the 2 games remaining vs the Lakers to close most of the gap.

The Lakers still have several top conference opponents left other than us:
Bucks (1H)
Raptors (1A)
Rockets (1H)
Nuggets (1H, 1A)
Celtics (1H)
Jazz (1H, 1A)

We play some of the same Top opponents the rest of the way with the exception that the Lakers have Toronto, Bucks and an additional game vs the Jazz. Lakers also have two games left vs the Griz who they haven't played since Nov. We have 2 vs the 76ers to their 1.

We both have basically the same number of bottom feeders the rest of the way.

Based on the roster moves and the remaining schedules, the Clips should earn the Top Seed in the West.

That's a very accurate prediction!! A bet on the Clippers winning the Pacific Division would be easy money!! #ClipperNation
Clippers2020
Junior
And1: 177

Post#339 » by Clippers2020 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:38 am

I don't mind where we're seeded as long as we get to play the Lakers in the playoffs.
7 games at home, and versus our regular season bunny.
Clippers2020
Junior
And1: 177

Post#340 » by Clippers2020 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:50 am

Young Sterling wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

Stats are also overrating Harden, and the media calls him an "unstoppable" scorer....

Its like they don't value the playoffs, and they don't value what a player does when faced with elite defense, less foul calls and more pressure.
No matter how much they overrate Harden now, I'm certain he won't sniff Kobe territory in basketball history, because what you do in the playoffs ultimately defines you.

Also I think future generations will suffer because of Harden, because Harden's extraordinary stats will eventually be deemed so hollow, so when future players put up Harden-like numbers they'll be scrutinized a lot more if they don't deliver in the playoffs.
Harden isn't scrutinized much, but the future Hardens will be.....and the media will say "He's the new Harden, not the real deal..."

Conversely, Kawhi has been underrated, but by the time he retires.....he'll be top tier greatness, and no stats required to make his case.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers