Welcome to ATL Cam Reddish!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Re: Welcome to ATL Cam Reddish! 

Post#141 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:37 pm

Cam looking much more comfortable 7 weeks in (and coming off the bench). The 3-pt shot is finally falling, but he does need to clean up that overall FG%. Currently shooting a stellar 39% in December.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#142 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Cam looking much more comfortable 7 weeks in (and coming off the bench). The 3-pt shot is finally falling, but he does need to clean up that overall FG%. Currently shooting a stellar 39% in December.

Read on Twitter

I think it's going to take awhile for his overall % to look decent considering it was so rock bottom to start the season. Lots of folks still reference Trae's overall 3pt% from last season as not good since he shot 19% from 3 in November last year.
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#143 » by Radioblacktive1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:23 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Cam looking much more comfortable 7 weeks in (and coming off the bench). The 3-pt shot is finally falling, but he does need to clean up that overall FG%. Currently shooting a stellar 39% in December.

Read on Twitter

I think it's going to take awhile for his overall % to look decent considering it was so rock bottom to start the season. Lots of folks still reference Trae's overall 3pt% from last season as not good since he shot 19% from 3 in November last year.

Most annoying thing about Trae’s rookie year. People said he was only good after All-Star break when in reality, he was only “bad” in November.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,954

Post#144 » by shakes0 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Starting to see some glimpses/flashes of a good player during every game. That's a good sign.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#145 » by kg01 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:37 pm

shakes0 wrote:Starting to see some glimpses/flashes of a good player during every game. That's a good sign.

Guy's good, just needs time. Stay tuned.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#146 » by jayu70 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:59 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

It must be remembered, though, that Reddish will play his entire rookie season at the age of 20. In addition, he possesses a rare combination of length, fluidity and coordination that should help greatly in his transition to the professional game.

The perimeter shot, in time, will come along or it won’t. Given the fact that Reddish was able to put in little work this past summer as he was recovering from surgery, it might be wise to not make too much of those results, particularly from the three-point line, this season.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#147 » by jayu70 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:33 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Radioblacktive1
Senior

Post#148 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:06 am

Reddish. I love him. I groan every time he misses a shot, not because he isn’t allowed to miss but because I want him to explode and I’m always scared the misses may hurt his confidence. I get so excited with every bucket he does get. 6th man is the best role for him right now because he needs the ball more consistently than he can get it as a starter. He gets ignored a lot and history shows it’s best to get him going early. Also, he might be the most mistreated rookie in this class as far as foul calls go. He gets fouled so much and the refs don’t even consider calling it most the time.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#149 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:03 am

In defense of Cam's many, many struggles this year:

I really hate the way he's been yanked in and out of the starting 5 and into different positions this season. Kid is on his 3rd different coach (in his 3rd different system) for the 3rd straight year. Now he's constantly being shuffled between NBA positions, between the bench and the starting 5.

First he's a starting SG, then he's the starting PG, then he's the starting SF, then he's the backup SG. Now he's back to being a starting Guard.

That seems really unfair to a teenager who struggled to produce consistently at the collegiate level in an unfamiliar role.

Read on Twitter

I'd kind of like to see us take the approach CHI has with Coby White thus far. Just make Cam the 6th man with the same role night in and night out -- no matter who the starters are.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#150 » by King Ken » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:57 pm

As long as he continues to play great defense, I don't give a **** for now. I would be worried if he struggled on that end as well.

He did seem tired on offense as did Hunter v. Chicago but B2B are hard for rookies especially ones that play defense.

Too many people ball watch and put too little credit into defense. Defense is extremely valuable when grading rookies who play on the wing.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#151 » by HMFFL » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:18 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:In defense of Cam's many, many struggles this year:

I really hate the way he's been yanked in and out of the starting 5 and into different positions this season. Kid is on his 3rd different coach (in his 3rd different system) for the 3rd straight year. Now he's constantly being shuffled between NBA positions, between the bench and the starting 5.

First he's a starting SG, then he's the starting PG, then he's the starting SF, then he's the backup SG. Now he's back to being a starting Guard.

That seems really unfair to a teenager who struggled to produce consistently at the collegiate level in an unfamiliar role.

Read on Twitter

I'd kind of like to see us take the approach CHI has with Coby White thus far. Just make Cam the 6th man with the same role night in and night out -- no matter who the starters are.
I agree, being consistent with Cam is best, so if that's the 6th man role make it happen. Bouncing him around won't help him.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM

Post#152 » by jayu70 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:01 pm

Read on Twitter

SI: It seems like you’ve been an important voice for the rookies on this team, particularly Cam [Reddish]. What kind of strides have you seen him take since the start of the season?

VC: For me, I just think the game is slowing down for him. More so than anything else. Playing under control, ball-handling, rhythm shooting, footwork – all of that stuff comes, but I think all of that stuff he can work on every day tends to make sense when the game slows down, because you can think more things instead of just having to react all the time and you’re just going off of impulse – whatever just comes to mind you do. And that’s kind of what was happening at the beginning, and I think the game is slowing down. So now he can read and react instead of just react. So all of the things that he’s worked on or the coaching staff has worked on with him, he can now utilize or think through the game as opposed to the first month, where there’s just so many thing happening. The work and the skills that he’s been working on are there, you just can’t really use it because everything happens so fast and he didn’t know how to react to it. Now he’s reading and reacting. And it’s going to take time. He still has a long way to go, but the strides are what you want to see month to month, and he’s definitely doing that.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#153 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:10 am

Cam Reddish is here to tell you the NBA is no breeze

The man who drafted him, Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk, has heard Reddish’s confession. “That’s what he told me: They make it look easier on TV,” Schlenk said.

“It’s just tough to win,” Reddish said this week, when asked what has been the biggest disconnect between what he thought he knew about life in the NBA and what he has come to learn.

“You got to play to the very, very, very end. That’s just how good teams and players are in the NBA. It’s a learning experience. It’s just tougher to win in the NBA than anything else.
“And guys are so good they make it look easy.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/hawks-cam-reddish-here-tell-you-the-nba-breeze/uIm54cnPj7LtOUG9WxAPWO/amp.html

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#154 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:36 am

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#155 » by jayu70 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:37 am

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
The best thing he did was miss eight shots. They were eight open shots. There was one where he jabbed and didn’t shoot, and James Harden stayed on him so he had to shoot. When you stop shooting it, then we have a problem. When you see him not take those shots, that’s when it’s not OK. The fact that he’s shooting — I’m good. The numbers will balance out. Cam comes out at halftime (against the Rockets) and hits that shot. But if he stops taking those shots then we have a problem, and it’s a big concern because a guy stops believing in himself, and he stops taking those looks, then we are in trouble."

Reddish credits Pierce for continuing to believe in him and keeping his positivity as high it can be. Reddish is averaging nearly 26 minutes and almost nine field goal attempts per game. The Hawks want him to be as active as possible. That’s what this season is about. Atlanta is 9-32, and the playoffs are likely out of reach at this point, so the second half of the season should be about improvement, and Reddish is at the center of that.

“He continues to let me play and let me shoot my shots,” Reddish said. “That’s big for me. It’s what I need. It really shows they believe in me. It means the world to me. That’s why I’m continuing to push and stay confident. I know it’s going to turn around pretty soon.”
Pierce also believes it’s only a matter of time before it does turn around for Reddish. Pierce thinks Reddish is in rhythm when he shoots, which was an issue earlier in the season. Pierce thinks Reddish is being aggressive and shot ready when the ball is thrown his way. Pierce has watched Reddish’s film in slow motion, and most of his shot mechanics look good.

Reddish does have a legitimate skill right now on the defensive end of the floor, which has made him useful for the Hawks. He already has become arguably the best individual defender Atlanta has, and Pierce has assigned him the opposing team’s best player for several games in a row now. Reddish said he didn’t anticipate that this is what he would be known for when he entered the league. He enjoys playing defense and always had an inner confidence that he could lock down whoever was in front of him.

“We’re going to help him,” Pierce said. “I think there are a lot of areas we can address with him being locked in — not taking a break, not smiling or laughing, just being completely locked in. He’s got confidence, and that’s what’s crazy. He shoots it with confidence...
jayu70
RealGM

Post#156 » by jayu70 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:39 pm

Read on Twitter
Radioblacktive1
Senior

Post#157 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:55 pm

Best defender on the squad.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#158 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#159 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:24 am

Read on Twitter

Weekly Ranking. Might be Cam's 1st forray into the top 5.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#160 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:22 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks