2019-20 Around the NBA Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#141 » by getrichordie » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:36 am

What a shocking and unexpected tragedy. Kobe will always be remembered for his drive, work ethic, and competitive spirit. He definitely inspired so many people and touched so many lives during his time on Earth. My heart goes out to his wife and daughters.

Now is no time to drudge up someone's past mistakes. Not one of us is perfect. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

RIP Kobe. <3 Thanks for all the great memories and great entertainment you've provided for me and my family.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#142 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 am

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#143 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:35 am

Man, basketball is usually my distraction when something bad/sad happens, it's just a painful reminder right now.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#144 » by spearsy23 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:34 pm

This new all star game format.... it's basically,
"Man, really wanna find a way to honor Kobe, but I've got nothing."
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#145 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:37 pm

spearsy23 wrote:This new all star game format.... it's basically,

I kind of like the idea of changing the logo. Someone posted one on the gb that looked really good. There will reach a point that the tributes and jerseys retirements will be done. This seems like the best way to do something long lasting which seems fitting under the circumstances.

Something similar to the red, white and blue one in post 37.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1934226&start=20
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#146 » by spearsy23 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:05 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:This new all star game format.... it's basically,

I kind of like the idea of changing the logo. Someone posted one on the gb that looked really good. There will reach a point that the tributes and jerseys retirements will be done. This seems like the best way to do something long lasting which seems fitting under the circumstances.

Something similar to the red, white and blue one in post 37.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1934226&start=20

I'm very traditionalist in a lot of ways. I don't even like the thought of changing OKC's uniforms. I'm down with changing the logo. I don't know that the nba would actually do it, but I think it would be fitting.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#147 » by wco81 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:12 pm

But why Kobe compared to MJ or Lebron, who are greater players?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#148 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:22 pm

wco81 wrote:But why Kobe compared to MJ or Lebron, who are greater players?

I‘m not sure exactly what you are talking about. I don’t think anyone has said Kobe is better than those guys. I think it seems like a really classy way to honor an all time great who had his life tragically cut short. West isn’t considered the goat. Having some weird all star game format is a nice thought, but kind of strange, in my opinion. A temporary all star game format will likely change. Spencer Dinwiddie retiring his number will be forgotten. This is a way to give Kobe the ultimate honor. Giving Kobe the logo just feels right and the one way to give him a permanent honor.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#149 » by spearsy23 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:42 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
wco81 wrote:But why Kobe compared to MJ or Lebron, who are greater players?

I‘m not sure exactly what you are talking about. I don’t think anyone has said Kobe is better than those guys. I think it seems like a really classy way to honor an all time great who had his life tragically cut short. West isn’t considered the goat. Having some weird all star game format is a nice thought, but kind of strange, in my opinion. A temporary all star game format will likely change. Spencer Dinwiddie retiring his number will be forgotten. This is a way to give Kobe the ultimate honor. Giving Kobe the logo just feels right and the one way to give him a permanent honor.

Also, kobe gave a lot back to the game. He was working out with everyone, was universally loved and respected by his peers, was building a body of entertainment centered around basketball, and of course was at the center of a major tragedy while flying with his daughter to his basketball academy.

On top of that, he was a life long laker, which in addition to mattering popularity wise, is fitting if you're replacing Jerry west (who also brought kobe to the Lakers).
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#150 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:58 pm

I like the logo change idea, BUT, you have to at least acknowledge that this is a dude who had serious rape allegations leveled against him. Even Kobe's public statement after the civil case essentially acknowledged in retrospect that she hadn't consented.

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

Don't think you want to tie yourself so visibly to a guy with that as part of his legacy. Especially for a league that has made social justice causes a big part of its corporate P.R.

https://thinkprogress.org/the-legacy-of-the-kobe-bryant-rape-case-6a42f159be7b/
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#151 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:15 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I like the logo change idea, BUT, you have to at least acknowledge that this is a dude who had serious rape allegations leveled against him. Even Kobe's public statement after the civil case essentially acknowledged in retrospect that she hadn't consented.

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

Don't think you want to tie yourself so visibly to a guy with that as part of his legacy. Especially for a league that has made social justice causes a big part of its corporate P.R.

It probably won't happen for that reason. Either way, it would be nice to see something done more permanent. There have been lots of individual gestures to this point but it just seems like something else should be done beyond things that would have already happened if he were still alive.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#152 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:36 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I like the logo change idea, BUT, you have to at least acknowledge that this is a dude who had serious rape allegations leveled against him. Even Kobe's public statement after the civil case essentially acknowledged in retrospect that she hadn't consented.

It probably won't happen for that reason. Either way, it would be nice to see something done more permanent. There have been lots of individual gestures to this point but it just seems like something else should be done beyond things that would have already happened if he were still alive.

I feel like they need to let the ideas breathe a bit and revisit this when everyone's had some time. We're all just in shock right now and we understandably want to do something. On a human level its just such a sad story, to die like that with your child at your side. Especially because they were headed to an event for her. I was a dedicated Kobe (the basketball player) hater but I feel terrible about the situation as well. As a human being you can't help but feel bad about it.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#153 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:50 pm

I mean giving the scoring leader the Bryant trophy is obviously the most fitting.

I love team lebron wearing number 2
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 4, 2020 12:05 pm

This isn’t the first time Porzingis has looked a lot better without Luka. On paper, these guys should be ideal compliments of one another but kind of been an awkward fit so far.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#155 » by spearsy23 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:41 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:This isn’t the first time Porzingis has looked a lot better without Luka. On paper, these guys should be ideal compliments of one another but kind of been an awkward fit so far.

First year back from a significant injury. Never draw conclusions from that.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:50 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:This isn’t the first time Porzingis has looked a lot better without Luka. On paper, these guys should be ideal compliments of one another but kind of been an awkward fit so far.

First year back from a significant injury. Never draw conclusions from that.

I don’t think this is about injury. I think it’s about how he’s being used with and without Luka. In six games without Luka KP is a averaging 27 points, 48% shooting and close 13 rebounds. With Luka he drops to 16 points on 39% with 9 rebounds. He also stated that he’s asked to pay differently with Luka. I’m not sure the way Carlisle is using him with Luka is maximizing his ability. It’s a small sample size and too early to draw meaningful conclusions. Just something I’ve noticed.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#157 » by spearsy23 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:51 pm

I hope memphis releases Iggy right after the playoff deadline.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#158 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Feb 5, 2020 4:02 am

I feel like someone should tell Minnesota that if they manage to get Russell, they’ll still suck.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#159 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:32 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I feel like someone should tell Minnesota that if they manage to get Russell, they’ll still suck.

They have to take some kind of chance, towns is on the clock
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#160 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:53 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I feel like someone should tell Minnesota that if they manage to get Russell, they’ll still suck.

They have to take some kind of chance, towns is on the clock

I guess. I'm just not overly impressed with Towns. I just don't think he's a winner. I understand his supporting cast isn't that great and he's missed some games, but he can't even lead his team to wins over bad teams. I don't think the situation is salvageable but I don't blame them for trying.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder