ImageImageImageImage

Orlando Magic Injury Info/Updates

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Orlando Magic Injury Info/Updates 

Post#1 » by TheGlyde » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:42 am

Just think this knee'ds to be in the one thread...

Jonathan Isaac
Injury: Posterior lateral corner injury and a bone contusion to his left knee
Latest: Isaac participating in light shoooting drills
Isaac not expected back this season (11:30 mark)
NBA Denies Magic’s Jonathan Isaac DPE Request.
Jonathan Isaac to be re-evaluated in 8-10 weeks
Injury/Reported Date: January 1st 2020
Estimated Timeframe: Re-evaluated in 8-10 weeks
Possible return dates: Estimated to be re-evaluated between Feb 27 and March 12

Al-Farooq Aminu
Injury: Torn meniscus in his right knee
Latest: Magic Reportedly Granted Player Exception After Al-Farouq Aminu's Injury
Magic's Al-Farouq Aminu out indefinitely after knee surgery
Injury/Reported Date: Injury November 29 2019, Surgery on January 7th 2020
Estimated Timeframe: Re-evaluated in about 12 weeks
Possible return dates: Estimated to be re-evaluated around March 31

Chuma Okeke
Injury: Torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee
Latest: Josh Robbins Okeke Update on the Athletic (summarised by Knightro)
Orlando Magic proud of Chuma Okeke's rehab, 'can't wait' for future
Injury/Reported Date: March 29 2019
Estimated Timeframe: No timetable
Possible return dates: No timetable
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Re: Orlando Magic Injury Info/Updates 

Post#2 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:49 am

95% sure that Isaac/Aminu won't log another minute this season. Chuma obviously won't play either. Still holding out hope that DJ will be moved at the deadline.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by TheGlyde » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:52 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:95% sure that Isaac/Aminu won't log another minute this season. Chuma obviously won't play either. Still holding out hope that DJ will be moved at the deadline.

Chuma won’t play for Orlando, but there is some chance he plays in Lakeland, or at least begins practicing, so I’m tracking info and updates on his progress with a view to next season for him.

I still hold out hope that the Magic not getting a DPE for Isaac means his injury is not as serious, and that he may return for a stretch run.

Playoff experience for young players is worthwhile so if he is 100% even if we get swept its good to get more experience.
Orlando Magic Historian

TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by TheGlyde » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:43 pm

Orlando Magic Historian

Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#5 » by Furinkazan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:01 pm

How the **** Isaac ended up with a season ending injury I remember it being reported 4 to 6 Weeks?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,072

Post#6 » by SOUL » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:09 pm

Furinkazan wrote:How the **** Isaac ended up with a season ending injury I remember it being reported 4 to 6 Weeks?

It was never 4-6, 8-10 was original diagnosis. I'm sure it's still around the same except the Magic have always been conservative with injuries since last season. Fultz, Bamba, Okeke, etc.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by TheGlyde » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:24 pm

SOUL wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:How the **** Isaac ended up with a season ending injury I remember it being reported 4 to 6 Weeks?

It was never 4-6, 8-10 was original diagnosis. I'm sure it's still around the same except the Magic have always been conservative with injuries since last season. Fultz, Bamba, Okeke, etc.

Originally after the game of the injury, Isaac was walking and even said he felt okay and that he might not miss any time. Reportedly after the plane flight however his knee was pretty locked up and he exited the plane very gingerly down the stairs.

The original projection post MRI has always been re-evaluation in 8-10 weeks.

Evan Fournier is questionable tomorrow night:
Magic's Evan Fournier: Questionable with back issue
Orlando Magic Historian

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,072

Post#8 » by SOUL » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:29 pm

TheGlyde wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Originally after the game of the injury, Isaac was walking and even said he felt okay and that he might not miss any time. Reportedly after the plane flight however his knee was pretty locked up and he exited the plane very gingerly down the stairs.

The original projection post MRI has always been re-evaluation in 8-10 weeks.

Evan Fournier is questionable tomorrow night:
Magic's Evan Fournier: Questionable with back issue

Yeah, sorry, I meant aside from Isaac's personal diagnosis (which should never be taken into account :lol:), but I wish he was right!
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#9 » by SHAQ32 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:43 am

PrimeThyme wrote:95% sure that Isaac/Aminu won't log another minute this season. Chuma obviously won't play either. Still holding out hope that DJ will be moved at the deadline.

So you're saying there's a 95% chance we miss the playoffs. Because that's the only way JI doesn't play another minute this season.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#10 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:22 am

TheGlyde wrote:Chuma won’t play for Orlando, but there is some chance he plays in Lakeland, or at least begins practicing, so I’m tracking info and updates on his progress with a view to next season for him.

I still hold out hope that the Magic not getting a DPE for Isaac means his injury is not as serious, and that he may return for a stretch run.

Playoff experience for young players is worthwhile so if he is 100% even if we get swept its good to get more experience.

I've heard no word on Chuma. It doesn't seem likely we see him even in Lakeland. As for Isaac and his injury history, I would be very reluctant to bring him back this season. Even if he comes back by the playoffs he would be playing his way back into shape and would be knocking off rust with little to no time before the postseason started.

He has had longterm injuries 2/3 seasons and had injury issues during HS as well so I think the medical staff will understandably be very careful with him.

However, I think its a good thread idea and I will be tracking it for updates on both players. In a perfect world, I'd prefer both to get to 100% so we can see them this season but I think its highly unlikely.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#11 » by Furinkazan » Sat Feb 1, 2020 9:25 am

SHAQ32 wrote:

So you're saying there's a 95% chance we miss the playoffs. Because that's the only way JI doesn't play another minute this season.

hopefully he will play
First I hear how importand is for our young guys to get playoffs experience then they shut him down just in case?It would be a real bummer
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by TheGlyde » Sat Feb 1, 2020 12:48 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I've heard no word on Chuma. It doesn't seem likely we see him even in Lakeland. As for Isaac and his injury history, I would be very reluctant to bring him back this season. Even if he comes back by the playoffs he would be playing his way back into shape and would be knocking off rust with little to no time before the postseason started.

The OP includes a link to an article from a few days ago that had updates from Lakeland about Okeke;

“He’s been great,” Magette said, still with a grin. “He’s getting closer to getting back on the court and practicing with us (Lakeland). He’s got a great attitude, really professional for being such a young guy. He comes in and is very supportive and engaged during our games.

As for Isaac. If he was re-evaluated late Feb (8weeks after injury. ‘Best case’) and was found he had recovered well, there would still be 24 games remaining in the regular season.

Another couple of weeks to ease him into practice and play into shape and there would still be 15-16 games left to get rhythm back before the playoffs.

That’s the best case scenario, but it’s also a possible one. Shutting him down if he is 100% because of a lack of games or time or previous (unrelated) injury history defies logic.

Just to be clear, I think most of us are on the same page but my stance is if he is 100% recovered it means he’s 100% ready.

He does have an injury history but most of his injuries have been from knocks, bumps and landing awkwardly, something that could happen at any time in any game or practice. Any hesitation, caution, or risk of reinjury and he’s not 100% recovered and if that’s the case, he should keep rehabbing

But If he’s ready, he’s ready. If he’s 100% in April why would you hold him out, when games matter, just to play him in September when he’s 100%, when games don’t matter but he could just as easily twist a knee or sprain an ankle.
Orlando Magic Historian

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#13 » by Def Swami » Sat Feb 1, 2020 7:22 pm

As far as I know, this is the first and only time there has been a source confirming that Isaac is projected to be out for the remainder of the season and playoffs.
Read on Twitter
darthmerrick
Starter
And1: 329

Post#14 » by darthmerrick » Sun Feb 2, 2020 7:15 am

Look at all of those knee injuries. Didn't Vuc have a knee sprain too? :o

What is going on with our medical staff and trainers that our guys keep injuring knees.

I think we need to clean house at the end of the season.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#15 » by drsd » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:41 am

I guess a silver lining in the DPE being declined for Isaac is that a doctor has concluded Isaac is recovering well.

But this does not mean any given target. The doctor's conclusions are that Isaac will be NBA capable before June 15. Orlando could be eliminated from the season post/-season by that point. But it does mean that Isaac will be projected to be fully healthy for the Summer.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#16 » by OrlandO » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:48 pm

drsd wrote:I guess a silver lining in the DPE being declined for Isaac is that a doctor has concluded Isaac is recovering well.

But this does not mean any given target. The doctor's conclusions are that Isaac will be NBA capable before June 15. Orlando could be eliminated from the season post/-season by that point. But it does mean that Isaac will be projected to be fully healthy for the Summer.

A fan said he saw Isaac at the arena last night and claims he was still on crutches with a brace on his knee. Probably can eliminate him from returning this season.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#17 » by j-ragg » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:39 pm

OrlandO wrote:
drsd wrote:I guess a silver lining in the DPE being declined for Isaac is that a doctor has concluded Isaac is recovering well.

A fan said he saw Isaac at the arena last night and claims he was still on crutches with a brace on his knee. Probably can eliminate him from returning this season.

Wow, surprising. Quite the roller coaster w/ Isaac updates. We see him go out on a stretcher, thinking we might have him back NEXT season > he's up walking on his own later that night > they announce he's out for a few months > then the whole season > now we don't really know.

Better to assume he won't be back (like you said) no matter what and just be pleasantly surprised if he returns. This FO takes their time with everything/anything.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
drsd
RealGM

Post#18 » by drsd » Sun Feb 2, 2020 4:44 pm

OrlandO wrote:A fan said he saw Isaac at the arena last night and claims he was still on crutches with a brace on his knee. Probably can eliminate him from returning this season.

And-1

Look: MId-March evaluation means that Isaac "might" be ready for April. Why would the Magic send Isaac out for a game or two, and then a first-round exit? The risk is to large.

That said: that a doctor reviewed Isaac and concluded he is NBA worth by 15 June, that is great news for Magic fans looking to next season.

No surgery. Only rehab.

TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by TheGlyde » Mon Feb 3, 2020 11:09 pm

Orlando Magic Historian

drsd
RealGM

Post#20 » by drsd » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:19 pm

Well: after Gordon's good play at PF, Birch might be "resting" a bit longer !

Return to Orlando Magic