Kobe Bryant Athleticism

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Kobe Bryant Athleticism 

Post#1 » by LakerLegend » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:13 am

Absolutely a top shelf athlete....only the most athletic players in NBA history could have highlight reels comparable to this:

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Re: Kobe Bryant Athleticism 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:49 am

Not as athletic as Jordan and Lebron, but still one of the most athletic wings of all time
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#3 » by No-more-rings » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:51 am

More athletic than Harden or Curry.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#4 » by Pelly24 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:53 am

Kobe is sometimes kinda mislabeled as being just an "above average athlete" but really he's as functionally athletic as any 2Guard ever besides MJ. He literally had the balance, body control and all around dexterity of a 5'11" halfback. Only thing is he was 6'6" lol. Then he also had the first step of an explosive 6'1" point guard and he had a 40 inch vertical and he had unlimited stamina and amazing durability and ability to play through injuries. To me he's unquestionably the second greatest Shooting Guard ever, and maybe the second greatest guard ever when you really come down to it. His athleticism would make him top 5 most athletic in the game today.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,844

Post#5 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sat Feb 1, 2020 3:24 am

No-more-rings wrote:More athletic than Harden or Curry.

Ok tbf thats not really neccessary lmao

I have kobe above them but I dont think anyone will ever say curry is more athletic than kobe was
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#6 » by LakerLegend » Sat Feb 1, 2020 3:57 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Not as athletic as Jordan and Lebron, but still one of the most athletic wings of all time

Pelly24 wrote:Kobe is sometimes kinda mislabeled as being just an "above average athlete" but really he's as functionally athletic as any 2Guard ever besides MJ. He literally had the balance, body control and all around dexterity of a 5'11" halfback. Only thing is he was 6'6" lol. Then he also had the first step of an explosive 6'1" point guard and he had a 40 inch vertical and he had unlimited stamina and amazing durability and ability to play through injuries. To me he's unquestionably the second greatest Shooting Guard ever, and maybe the second greatest guard ever when you really come down to it. His athleticism would make him top 5 most athletic in the game today.

The biggest physical difference between Kobe and Jordan is the hand size, which affects the way you do things on the court in a lot of ways.

As far as pure athleticism there isn't a significant difference between them other than trade-offs like Jordan being stronger and Kobe being more flexible(Phil's words)
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,239

Post#7 » by trex_8063 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:09 am

Pelly24 wrote:Kobe is sometimes kinda mislabeled as being just an "above average athlete" .....

I have never once heard anyone refer to him as merely an "above average athlete", fwiw.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,310

Post#8 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:10 am

Amazing athlete.

I think he was a tier below the best though.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#9 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:22 am

LakerLegend wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Not as athletic as Jordan and Lebron, but still one of the most athletic wings of all time

Pelly24 wrote:Kobe is sometimes kinda mislabeled as being just an "above average athlete" but really he's as functionally athletic as any 2Guard ever besides MJ. He literally had the balance, body control and all around dexterity of a 5'11" halfback. Only thing is he was 6'6" lol. Then he also had the first step of an explosive 6'1" point guard and he had a 40 inch vertical and he had unlimited stamina and amazing durability and ability to play through injuries. To me he's unquestionably the second greatest Shooting Guard ever, and maybe the second greatest guard ever when you really come down to it. His athleticism would make him top 5 most athletic in the game today.

The biggest physical difference between Kobe and Jordan is the hand size, which affects the way you do things on the court in a lot of ways.

As far as pure athleticism there isn't a significant difference between them other than trade-offs like Jordan being stronger and Kobe being more flexible(Phil's words)

I think Jordan is more athletic. Arguably the best first step ever for a wing, like Wade in a bigger body. More dynamic in the air. More athletic on the defensive end.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,827

Post#10 » by Zeitgeister » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:20 am

I mean, Kobe was definitely exceptionally athletic but when you compare him to his peers like Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Dwayne Wade, I think it's difficult for me to put him above any of them.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
dcstanley
Sixth Man
And1: 1,281

Post#11 » by dcstanley » Sat Feb 1, 2020 6:44 am

LakerLegend wrote:

Isn't bigger hand size a detriment when it comes to shooting and ball-handling?
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#12 » by JulesWinnfield » Sat Feb 1, 2020 1:14 pm

His body control was his most impressive athletic attribute. That aspect of his athleticsm was tier 1. There were guys who were more explosive, but none who had better body control. He and Jordan were 1/1a in that respect
frica
Pro Prospect
And1: 454

Post#13 » by frica » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:13 pm

dcstanley wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:

Isn't bigger hand size a detriment when it comes to shooting and ball-handling?

I don't think there's any real correlation between the two.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,561

Post#14 » by Colbinii » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:36 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:Kobe is sometimes kinda mislabeled as being just an "above average athlete" .....

I have never once heard anyone refer to him as merely an "above average athlete", fwiw.

You just did :wink:
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#15 » by Pelly24 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:03 pm

LakerLegend wrote:

I think MJ just had another level of bounce and speed than even Kobe. MJ had Zion Williamson-Esque bounce and was more like a graceful peak Westbrook with his explosion to the rim.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#16 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:12 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:I mean, Kobe was definitely exceptionally athletic but when you compare him to his peers like Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Dwayne Wade, I think it's difficult for me to put him above any of them.

Big Meh on TMac and Vince. Their functional basketball athleticism wasn’t on the level of the GOAT wings IMO. Neither is really impressive at all when it comes to getting to the rim or foul draw rate. Kobe has a better basketball body than either IMO.

I would put Jimmy Butler, for example, 1 or 2 tiers above either guy.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,625

Post#17 » by Sign5 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:42 pm

He was an elite athlete just under 'freak athlete' status. Even Wade who I felt was slightly more athletic falls just short of being in that category.

Lebron, MJ, Westbrook, Wilt, Zion, Shaq, Dominique, Giannis are all freak athletes that were more athletic than Kobe. Again though he was still a superb athlete especially in his fro days.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,827

Post#18 » by Zeitgeister » Sat Feb 1, 2020 6:15 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:I mean, Kobe was definitely exceptionally athletic but when you compare him to his peers like Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Dwayne Wade, I think it's difficult for me to put him above any of them.

Big Meh on TMac and Vince. Their functional basketball athleticism wasn’t on the level of the GOAT wings IMO. Neither is really impressive at all when it comes to getting to the rim or foul draw rate. Kobe has a better basketball body than either IMO.

I should clarify, I meant to say that I can't see Kobe being clearly above any of them, I wouldn't fault someone for having him as the best athlete among that group but I don't think it's obvious and the Jimmy Butler comment seems a bit out there honestly.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#19 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Feb 1, 2020 7:05 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I should clarify, I meant to say that I can't see Kobe being clearly above any of them, I wouldn't fault someone for having him as the best athlete among that group but I don't think it's obvious and the Jimmy Butler comment seems a bit out there honestly.

Why? One look at his insane offensive rebound rate should tell a lot if the story about his athleticism. His game, much like Kobe, is based around jumping so high that no one can contest his made range shots. He overwhelms guys physically to the point he’s drawing fouls on 70% of his shooting attempts this season.

If you consider things like strength, balance, coordination, body control and muscle memory to be athletic traits it doesn’t really get any better than Kobe.

For me the line between athleticism and skill is very blurry. Harden is another guy I consider absurdly athletic with his GOAT lower body and core strength and his ballerina-like footwork. Vince and McGrady could work three times as hard and still never replicate what Harden or Kobe could do with The ball IMO.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
sunless01
Junior
And1: 272

Post#20 » by sunless01 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 7:30 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:

no way, t-mac and carter were absolute freaks. butler just isnt on their level

Return to Player Comparisons