ImageImageImageImageImage

The Troy Brown Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#541 » by payitforward » Sat Feb 1, 2020 10:45 pm

pcbothwel wrote:PIF. To clarify, TBJ will probably never be the pure shooter Otto was, but I think he’s a better overall athlete which will allow him to draw more fouls, defend a broader array of players, and create more for himself.
So he is better positioned to handle the responsibility of being a 3rd piece both physically and psychologically.
He’ll be the more consistent player while Rui will be the guy who let take over when he’s hot, at least early on.

Assuming we hit on a G in the draft, a lineup of
Pick (Halliburton?)
Brown
Bongs
Rui
Bryant

... would probably be a near 500 team all by themselves.
There... optimism. Lol

Optimism is good. It sure beats pessimism. It was the cement-overshoe-GM Ernie Grunfeld who was responsible for all the pessimism around the Wizards; I'm glad we get to feel good about our future!

Obviously, I am extremely high on Brown -- I've made that clear!

But, I'm also high on Bonga! Almost as high on him as on Brown, to tell the truth. It's not even 3 months since this kid turned 20, & he's posting a 63.5% TS% in the NBA! Come on.... Ok, it's on extremely low usage, but I'm still pretty impressed!

& I've certainly made it clear that I think Bryant is already one of the very best young Centers in the game & likely to get a whole lot better. Yes, he has a lot of work to do to become a better defender & rim protector. But... he's still 22. He's played a grand total of 2150 minutes in the league.

I've never watched Tyrese Haliburton, but I just looked at his numbers at Iowa State this year & last, & they are absolutely outstanding. What does that mean? How would I know. But, let's assume that he has a shot to be a terrific NBA player. Doesn't mean he will be, of course -- but you can say as much about pretty much any draft pick. Who knows, maybe we'll jump up in the draft & wind up with Deni Avdija? Or fall some & get Paul Reed? I haven't gotten serious about draft research yet this year, so I don't really have a take.

Then there's Rui. Optimism is good, as I just wrote. But, Rui hasn't done much of anything so far, & he wasn't an outstanding college player either (good, yes; outstanding, no). So, your call on him is 100% positive speculation. I hope he lives up to it.

Anyway, what can it mean to call 5 guys, with an average age of maybe 21 "a near .500 team?" It's just a way of saying that we have 4 young guys we're optimistic about & expect to have a 5th along the same lines in less than 5 months. May it be so!! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#542 » by payitforward » Sat Feb 1, 2020 10:49 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:Defense will be the difference-maker for Brown. Otto was a great help defender but not very good as a one-on-one defender. Brown isn't even as good as Otto was defensively, but he's young still.

If Brown evolves into an above-average man defender, he will be exactly what this team (and every team) needs at the SF position.

For sure. But, if we look for the biggest differences between rookie Troy & the same kid this year, scoring stands out. He's raised all 3 of his numbers (2pt. %, 3 pt. % & FT. %) by a lot. & that's with a bump in usage too (not a big bump, but still...). Of course, he's still not a big time scorer -- both his points & his TS% remain a little below average. Still, a jump of 6 percentage points in TS% is nothing to sneeze at -- especially between rookie year & year 2, especially at his age, & especially given the fact that he's also up overall in all the rest of the boxscore stats.

You forgot to add in next year :D

Code: Select all

Age   TS%      3P%   DRB%   AST%   STL%   BLK%   TOV%
19   0.487   0.319   16.6   14.9   1.4    0.6    10.5
20   0.547   0.352   20.5   11.3   2.3    0.3    10.1
21   0.600   0.400   21.5   15.5   2.6    0.7     9.4

All star in year 4 -- right?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#543 » by dckingsfan » Sat Feb 1, 2020 10:59 pm

payitforward wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:For sure. But, if we look for the biggest differences between rookie Troy & the same kid this year, scoring stands out. He's raised all 3 of his numbers (2pt. %, 3 pt. % & FT. %) by a lot. & that's with a bump in usage too (not a big bump, but still...). Of course, he's still not a big time scorer -- both his points & his TS% remain a little below average. Still, a jump of 6 percentage points in TS% is nothing to sneeze at -- especially between rookie year & year 2, especially at his age, & especially given the fact that he's also up overall in all the rest of the boxscore stats.

You forgot to add in next year :D

Code: Select all

Age   TS%      3P%   DRB%   AST%   STL%   BLK%   TOV%
19   0.487   0.319   16.6   14.9   1.4    0.6    10.5
20   0.547   0.352   20.5   11.3   2.3    0.3    10.1
21   0.600   0.400   21.5   15.5   2.6    0.7     9.4

All star in year 4 -- right?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves :rofl:
payitforward
RealGM

Post#544 » by payitforward » Sat Feb 1, 2020 11:08 pm

What...!? Oh ye of little faith!! Ahead of yourself is the best place to be...!

I don't know about you, but when I go to the movies I always send myself ahead. That way when I finally arrive I've already gotten myself a seat.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#545 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:45 pm

I've been noticing that Troy Brown is a bit of a ball stopper. When he receives a kick-out pass while standing in the corner, he won't shoot it unless he is wide open. And if the defender is closing fast enough to take away the shot, he often pauses in indecision, allowing the defense to catch up on their rotations.

Brown needs to be much more decisive on those kick out passes. Either shoot, drive hard, or swing it immediately to the top of the key. He is ruining the advantage gained by Beal or Ish penetrating the lane and sucking in defensive attention.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#546 » by dckingsfan » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:49 pm

nate33 wrote:I've been noticing that Troy Brown is a bit of a ball stopper. When he receives a kick-out pass while standing in the corner, he won't shoot it unless he is wide open. And if the defender is closing fast enough to take away the shot, he often pauses in indecision, allowing the defense to catch up on their rotations.

Brown needs to be much more decisive on those kick out passes. Either shoot, drive hard, or swing it immediately to the top of the key. He is ruining the advantage gained by Beal or Ish penetrating the lane and sucking in defensive attention.

It seems to have started only recently - not sure what happened but it is definitely there. I think it started after a couple of bad shooting games. Maybe he still doesn't have the confidence?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#547 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:06 pm

TBJ also has a problem with consistency of effort on defense - which is a problem for almost every player his age. But it really looked bad last night - where he was beaten time and time again by very ordinary players. Then again, I shouldn't single him out because both Bonga and Mitten also had bad defensive games.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#548 » by youngWizzy » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:TBJ also has a problem with consistency of effort on defense - which is a problem for almost every player his age. But it really looked bad last night - where he was beaten time and time again by very ordinary players. Then again, I shouldn't single him out because both Bonga and Mitten also had bad defensive games.

His lateral quickness is a problem. The fact that Brown's lane agility time at the combine was below Moe Wagner's is concerning. If you watch the games, he gets beat by his opponent on every drive forcing the defense to make quicker than normal rotations. Also, he's sitll making rookie mistakes in terms of getting beat on the backside or simply losing his man. Offensively, he also does take so many ugly long twos while his three ball won't even go in.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
payitforward
RealGM

Post#549 » by payitforward » Tue Feb 4, 2020 9:29 pm

I put this with the comment by someone, don't remember who, that Brown boxes out, then lets Thomas Bryant get the rebounds.

...which no doubt explains why Troy gets 50% more rebounds than an average 3.

Just as those long awkward 2 point shots explain why he has a higher 2 pt.% than an average 3.

Similarly, it must be that lack of lateral quickness that forces him to get 53% more steals than an average NBA 3. Does that make sense?

It is true, however, that if he takes three 3-point attempts, they "never go in." That is, 2 of them don't, so that what "never" means is that his 3pt. % is 2 % points under average. I just don't understand how a guy who is already 20 years old can have these kinds of problems, do you?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#550 » by dckingsfan » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:55 pm

payitforward wrote:I put this with the comment by someone, don't remember who, that Brown boxes out, then lets Thomas Bryant get the rebounds.

...which no doubt explains why Troy gets 50% more rebounds than an average 3.

Just as those long awkward 2 point shots explain why he has a higher 2 pt.% than an average 3.

Similarly, it must be that lack of lateral quickness that forces him to get 53% more steals than an average NBA 3. Does that make sense?

It is true, however, that if he takes three 3-point attempts, they "never go in." That is, 2 of them don't, so that what "never" means is that his 3pt. % is 2 % points under average. I just don't understand how a guy who is already 20 years old can have these kinds of problems, do you?

What is also a major problem is that his defensive rebounding is a problem allows Bertans and Rui play PF and not be as much of a liability. Shepard won't have to trade Rui and not sign Bertans now.

And you are right - now that Brown's 3pt shot isn't falling in 2020 (he is way down to .412), he is going to cause spacing problems with the offense.

What is also major problem is that Brown can come off the bench and contribute. We should only want starters, no?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#551 » by dckingsfan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:09 pm

Anyone notice that since addition of Jerome Robinson Brown is playing much worse? Okay, might be a fan getting his judgement clouded.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#552 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:23 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Anyone notice that since addition of Jerome Robinson Brown is playing much worse? Okay, might be a fan getting his judgement clouded.

Hey, if I'm any player on the Wiz, I'm po'd that Robinson's playing 17.2 minutes a game - considering how poorly he's done in his 1st 2 seasons. Even with his unsustainable 8 rebounds per 36 minutes, he has a putrid PER of 5.9 and awful scoring efficiency stats - and his defense stinks. I can see how having to play with Robinson would adversely affect TBJ's game. He should be in the G League - trying to earn a shot at going back to the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#553 » by doclinkin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Anyone notice that since addition of Jerome Robinson Brown is playing much worse? Okay, might be a fan getting his judgement clouded.

Hey, if I'm any player on the Wiz, I'm po'd that Robinson's playing 17.2 minutes a game - considering how poorly he's done in his 1st 2 seasons. Even with his unsustainable 8 rebounds per 36 minutes, he has a putrid PER of 5.9 and awful scoring efficiency stats - and his defense stinks. I can see how having to play with Robinson would adversely affect TBJ's game. He should be in the G League - trying to earn a shot at going back to the NBA.

Had to replace tank commander IT somehow.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#554 » by dckingsfan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:45 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Had to replace tank commander IT somehow.

:rofl:

Now I understand why he isn't with the D League affiliate.
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#555 » by smoothSeph » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Robinson’s usage isn’t even as high as McRae’s was. At some point TBJ needs to just be aggressive regardless of who’s playing around him.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#556 » by DCZards » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:31 pm

smoothSeph wrote:Robinson’s usage isn’t even as high as McRae’s was. At some point TBJ needs to just be aggressive regardless of who’s playing around him.

Agree. Robinson’s presence hasn’t hurt Brown. Troy needs to become a better, more confident shooter. He’s struggled from both midrange and the 3pt line in recent games. Can’t blame that on Robinson.

Still love Troy’s overall game and upside though. He’s good at 20 and will only get better.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#557 » by gambitx777 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:03 pm

Brown suffers from a case of the Otto Porters. Where he just needs to get agressive and believe in his abilities !
DCZards wrote:
smoothSeph wrote:Robinson’s usage isn’t even as high as McRae’s was. At some point TBJ needs to just be aggressive regardless of who’s playing around him.

Agree. Robinson’s presence hasn’t hurt Brown. Troy needs to become a better, more confident shooter. He’s struggled from both midrange and the 3pt line in recent games. Can’t blame that on Robinson.

Still love Troy’s overall game and upside though. He’s good at 20 and will only get better.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#558 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:03 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Brown suffers from a case of the Otto Porters. Where he just needs to get agressive and believe in his abilities !
DCZards wrote:

When he got subbed out last game they showed him on the bench and he looked disappointed
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#559 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:30 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Brown suffers from a case of the Otto Porters. Where he just needs to get agressive and believe in his abilities !
DCZards wrote:

When he got subbed out last game they showed him on the bench and he looked disappointed

He's been looking that way a lot lately. I get the feeling there's a problem. Hopefully, there's communication between him and Brooks.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#560 » by dckingsfan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:31 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
DCZards wrote:

Yeah, probably a bit ticked off - first moved to the bench and now getting minimum minutes.

Return to Washington Wizards