ImageImage

Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1401 » by Rich4114 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:58 pm

It seems like this is a case of the team and JB did not want him here from the beginning and likely didn’t want him to take his player option. So now he just toys on the pine. But if they were smart, they’d try to let him play and earn some value because he may need to be included as a trade piece down the line. Perhaps we see a frank situation where MKG gets some burn around the trade deadline and looks revived.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1402 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Dec 7, 2019 7:40 pm

Rich4114 wrote:if they were smart, they’d try to let him play and earn some value because he may need to be included as a trade piece down the line

He would be taking minutes from Miles or PJ and folks here would be up in arms about it. The team is doing what it said it would, develop young guys.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#1403 » by fatlever » Sat Dec 7, 2019 9:20 pm

DY_nasty wrote:the simple answer is that he doesn't want to play and had to be drug back to the team after his leave of absence

is that legit or your opinion on the situation? why didnt he just opt out? he could have gotten a 2/10 (1+1) type prove it deal on a team that needed his style of play.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#1404 » by fatlever » Sat Dec 7, 2019 9:23 pm

I agree he shouldn't be in in the rotation right now. give the minutes to the young guys. But there have been some situations where either due to injury or foul he could have been a good option. There's also been some times where we just desperately needed some energy and a spark to get things going. But it seems there is no set of circumstances that ends and him getting minutes this year. I find that odd.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1405 » by DY_nasty » Sat Dec 7, 2019 11:00 pm

fatlever wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:the simple answer is that he doesn't want to play and had to be drug back to the team after his leave of absence

is that legit or your opinion on the situation? why didnt he just opt out? he could have gotten a 2/10 (1+1) type prove it deal on a team that needed his style of play.

you guys don't follow any of the insiders who used to be at BP?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1406 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Dec 7, 2019 11:39 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
fatlever wrote:

If thats true i really dont like him now.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#1407 » by Braggins » Sun Dec 8, 2019 1:19 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
fatlever wrote:

If thats true i really dont like him now.

What are you guys referring to?
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#1408 » by CuseMayne » Sun Dec 8, 2019 9:11 am

fatlever wrote:I agree he shouldn't be in in the rotation right now. give the minutes to the young guys. But there have been some situations where either due to injury or foul he could have been a good option. There's also been some times where we just desperately needed some energy and a spark to get things going. But it seems there is no set of circumstances that ends and him getting minutes this year. I find that odd.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

I definitely agree that there have been situations where we needed a spark off the bench to jolt the team. We actually had a different player provide that very effectively earlier in the season: Cody Martin. For some reason, he has been shelved even though I really liked what I saw from him when he was getting burn. But in any case, I think that even when these scenarios where an energy/bench spark is called for and JB finally decides to make an adjustment in-game, he will go with Thing #1 before MKG.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,736

Post#1409 » by Diop » Sun Dec 8, 2019 10:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Now we know
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,137

Post#1410 » by Snidely FC » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:13 pm

not a bad time to feature him with trade restrictions lifted on summer signings Dec 15th, though not sure MKG helped with his performance, probably helped that he took some 3s; maybe West Conf team like HOU might want his defensive specialty and expiring, but his appearance was a vivid reminder of what a spaz MKG is...and that petulant kick trip didn't help
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1411 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Feb 1, 2020 12:18 am

Mavs interested in MKG per Bonnell
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1412 » by DY_nasty » Sat Feb 1, 2020 1:19 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Mavs interested in MKG per Bonnell

good fit. take em
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#1413 » by Braggins » Sat Feb 1, 2020 11:38 pm

Still an MKG fan. Would love to see him playing for Dallas.

I honestly wish Kemba would have went to Dallas instead of Boston if he was going to leave Charlotte. I think that would have been the best choice from a purely basektball perspective, but Boston is also a good fit and he gets to stay close to home in the New England area where hes beloved, so I understand his choice.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#1414 » by dirkforpres » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:26 am

Mavs fan coming in peace. Pretty much all of what I’ve witnessed of MKG is what I’ve seen on 2k, which doesn’t help much. Just curious on what his deal is? Any chance he turns his career around in a new system?
FIRE JASON KIDD
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1415 » by 316Hornets » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:37 am

dirkforpres wrote:Mavs fan coming in peace. Pretty much all of what I’ve witnessed of MKG is what I’ve seen on 2k, which doesn’t help much. Just curious on what his deal is? Any chance he turns his career around in a new system?

His offensive game is seriously lacking. His true shooting is 42.1% this year. Your best hope is he somehow picks up a 3 point shot, but I just question how much commitment he has to bettering himself at this point.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1416 » by DY_nasty » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:53 am

dirkforpres wrote:Mavs fan coming in peace. Pretty much all of what I’ve witnessed of MKG is what I’ve seen on 2k, which doesn’t help much. Just curious on what his deal is? Any chance he turns his career around in a new system?

the motor is gone
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,531

Post#1417 » by HornetJail » Sun Feb 2, 2020 4:25 am

Borrego ignores defense, so MKG's playing time is the main casualty. He hasn't played meaningful minutes in about a calendar year at this point. When he does play, it's spot minutes, and he's just going through the motions, presumably not trying to get hurt for a team that couldn't give less of a **** about him.

I don't doubt that he'd be a top 10 perimeter defender for his next team. He'd be a great fit for Dallas. I just want to see him continue his career.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1418 » by DY_nasty » Sun Feb 2, 2020 4:56 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

Borrego ignores defense, so MKG's playing time is the main casualty. He hasn't played meaningful minutes in about a calendar year at this point. When he does play, it's spot minutes, and he's just going through the motions, presumably not trying to get hurt for a team that couldn't give less of a **** about him.

I don't doubt that he'd be a top 10 perimeter defender for his next team. He'd be a great fit for Dallas. I just want to see him continue his career.

if borrego didn't care about defense then biz would've never taken cody's starting job
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#1419 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:47 pm

He's an expiring so no long term commitment if the Mavs trade for him.

MKG's signature was his strong individual D. Before his injuries there was talk that he could guard anyone except for some of the bigger PFs and Cs. My take was that he was defensive minded and quick. Injures have robbed him of a bit of his early explosiveness but he's still good on that end when motivated ... which he is isn't here anymore really.

Offensively he never really developed well. His confidence on that end was crushed in the Cliff years here, leading to his well documented horrific shooting form. He is OK at mid-range shots and will fire an occasional 3 now, but you really can't count on that. He's not a great passer and doesn't have a strong handle. He used to try to drive and would get stripped or blocked all the time.

I do think that part of MKG's problem here was due to systems (Cliff wanting 3s only from him and Borrego wanting better passing), but also personnel. There were games last year where the team couldn't get the ball back to Kemba and it would end up dumped on MKG who wasn't afraid to put something up, even if it was a bad shot. In a system that already has several good scoring options I do think that MKG might do a bit better. I wouldn't expect amazing things from him at this point though, but the Mavs are probably one of the better teams for him fit wise.
My picks:
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#1420 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:54 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Borrego ignores defense, so MKG's playing time is the main casualty. He hasn't played meaningful minutes in about a calendar year at this point. When he does play, it's spot minutes, and he's just going through the motions, presumably not trying to get hurt for a team that couldn't give less of a **** about him.

if borrego didn't care about defense then biz would've never taken cody's starting job

I lean more towards DY's stance. It's more than just Borrego not caring about D. My personal take is that it's a combination of things. He can't facilitate well. Most of his shots are pretty inefficient mid range jumpers. He doesn't have the handle to drive well consistently. I also think that the fact that MKG never really bulked up has hurt him. As he's slowed a bit on D he doesn't have strength to fall back on.
My picks:

Return to Charlotte Hornets