ImageImageImageImageImage

Kobe & Gianna thread

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,830

Re: Kobe & daughter Gianna have died in a helicopter crash 

Post#341 » by bledredwine » Sun Feb 2, 2020 12:14 am

Bulls fan here. When I was young, I was stunned to see someone fading deep like Jordan, something I thought was impossible to learn. It was inspiring to me as an ambitious musician to know that ultimately, it’s about proper technique and hard work. Texas fans can choose whoever they like from that era, but we know that Kobe was the face of the league. I’ll never forget- One of my best friends used to shout “Kobe” as he whooped my ass in beer pong. That’ll never happen again.

As Kobe got older and matured, I had so much admiration for the guy. He started reaching out to all of the young players, showing a desire to help them. He was such an eloquent, smart, and passionate ambassador of the game. On top of that, his work ethic motivated the hell out of me. We need people like that to be the ambassadors of the league. I can only think of maybe two.

I was on a Law of Attraction high lately and Kobe’s passing absolutely shattered that for all of last week. Even at work, everyone was quiet. I’ve never been that affected by a non-related death. He was someone that you just assumed would always be around.

My love goes out to you guys and to one of the top (two?) inspiring individuals to ever play the game. For many here and of the most recent generation of players, he was the most inspiring individual. He was superbly talented, but I also felt like he was one of us- void of the immaturity, non-competitiveness and insecurities that we often see in players today. He was truly the last of an era.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,370

Post#342 » by The Box Office » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:06 am

I hated Kobe Bryant when he came into the league.

He copied Michael Jordan way too much and his fans were proclaiming that Kobe will be better than MJ. And that was during 1997!

I'm a die hard Bulls fan and MJ fan. Michael Jordan was putting in the final touches to a super mega nova NBA career during 1997-1998. Kobe fans are proclaiming that Kobe is better than that? No way.

The 81 point game happened.

That's when I liked Kobe. It wasn't the Three Peat with Shaq. It was the 81. The 81 showed me that Kobe didn't give a crap about expectations and just went for it. Even he didn't know he was gonna score 81. Looking back at that game, it's better to NOT have any expectations and just do the damn thing. Go for it because anything can happen. Toss it up.

It took a long time, but I realized that me and Kobe admired MJ. And we patterned our work ethic from Jordan. I was cool with that. We have something else in common instead of just being human.

MJ and Kobe are a part of my childhood. It sucked when both retired the game. Then I noticed the rest of the NBA superstars I grew up with are GONE. And with Kobe's tragic sudden death, I have to say goodbye and farewell to my childhood; my youth.

Kobe's death, along with Gianna, Sarah and Payton Chester, Christina Mauser, Ara Zobayan, John, Keri, and Alyssa Altobelli, was a reminder that we're not just humans. We also share something else...

We're mortals. Life ends in seconds.

I have no problems putting in the work, like MJ and Kobe, to do what I want in my life instead of being stuck doing something I hate all day. The hard work and dedication are not enough though. Kobe showed that I'm going to have to keep sacrificing to get there. I'm sacrificing my ego and time to be content and happy regardless of the money and critics.

Seize the life. Screw fear. Have no fear. Fear itself is just an illusion.

Thoughts and condolences to the families, friends, and Laker Nation.

Kobe is dat dude. He's one bad m'fer.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#343 » by chefy » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:17 am

Been a Kobe fan since I was 10, my name is BRYAN so my friends/classmates would call me Kobe whenever we would play basketball for our PE back in gradeschool. I just started playing basketball at this time so I was clueless. So I was like who is this Kobe Bryant guy. And then one day my classmate brought his nba card collection to school and he showed me who kobe is. And then the dunk contest happened and then Kobe started getting big and famous. And then I started collecting cards too and I just got really more drawn to basketball. MJ was a god during this time so everyone was a bulls and MJ fan. And This is why I’m proud and honored to say I’ve been a Kobe fan since day 1. My legit first and last basketball idol.

Fast forward to 2003 my family decided to migrate here in America for a better life. The problem with this was we had to start from zero all over again and man it was tough. We lived with my grandparents in a 1 bedroom apartment, we didn’t have cable, no PlayStation, we got our tv from a garage sale for $5, didn’t speak English so I didn’t have friends, no computer or internet for the first couple of years. Heck my family would drive from LOng beach to my cousins in LA because they had the computer and the internet lol. Our TV only had maybe 10-15 working channels but luckily one of them was kcal 9!

During these rough, dark and depressing years of my life, the Lakers and Kobe were my escape. This is when I became a diehard Laker fan. This is post Shaq era and rape case too so it was though being a laker fan during these years. But I was a stubborn kid so I sticked to my Lakers and the down years made me an even more bigger fan! I think because I could relate to Kobe. He became an outcast, the media wasn’t giving him that much attention anymore, LeBron, Wade, melo were the new golden boys and Kobe became the bad guy, and same thing for the lakers, the team was in rebuild mode.

I’m gonna miss Kobe, I miss watching him and the lakers on our cheap ass tv with my family and especially with my grandpa and late grandma. I said this here before when he retired in 2016, basketball would just never be the same for me. And then Sunday happened, just unreal. The last couple of days were just tough for me, his death just feel so surreal, it’s crazy because lately I would have flashbacks of my family and I watching him in our apartment, my grade school and high school years when I would cut classes just to watch him and play ball. man it’s just so surreal.

So yea, this is my little story of how I became Lakers fan.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#344 » by Landsberger » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:46 pm

I'm at the Waste Management Open in Scottsdale this morning and sitting pin high at the 16th hole in a box for a bank I'm working with on data security at the moment. They have redone the green and placed the hole in a position 24 paces from the one edge of the green and 8 from the other. If you get a chance today watch the open and take a look.... it's pretty cool.

I'm the big black guy in a red golf shirt with a green hat on sitting in front of a few empty bloody mary glasses to the left of the hole.
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#345 » by Drygon » Sun Feb 2, 2020 4:41 pm

bulls_troy
General Manager
And1: 270

Post#346 » by bulls_troy » Mon Feb 3, 2020 9:56 am

A week on and I still dont believe it

Can this nightmare end please!?
Twitter: @bulls_troy
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#347 » by Beethoven » Mon Feb 3, 2020 7:47 pm

Drove through Los Angeles the other day on my way to see my parents so that my wife could see and count any Kobe memorials, tributes, or informal graffiti (we like these too bc it is from deep down Los Angeles , not marketed or advertised) respecting Kobe. She was counting them and we felt a bit mad when we saw big blow up adverts of kawhi from the hobos a couple of times.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#348 » by Kilroy » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:24 am

The choppers still get me... I've been working outside a lot lately and every time I hear a chopper, I think it's Kobe. Makes no sense, but I'm still jumpy at that sound...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#349 » by sjballer03 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:42 pm

Kilroy wrote:The choppers still get me... I've been working outside a lot lately and every time I hear a chopper, I think it's Kobe. Makes no sense, but I'm still jumpy at that sound...

I will never look at a helicopter the same way again.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,182

Post#350 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:05 pm

Kilroy wrote:The choppers still get me... I've been working outside a lot lately and every time I hear a chopper, I think it's Kobe. Makes no sense, but I'm still jumpy at that sound...

I know exactly where you're coming from...I work near a hospital and I find myself mindlessly looking out the window every time a chopper flies by, and that usually happens a couple times a day. Even had a dream about my wife getting into a crash last night, and a feeling utter helplessness. This whole thing has been so **** traumatic man.
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#351 » by Drygon » Tue Feb 4, 2020 10:20 pm

Read on Twitter

The descent rate for the helicopter was over 2,000 feet a minute," Homendy said. "This is a pretty steep descent at high speed."

Holy shite.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#352 » by dockingsched » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:47 pm

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
WeAreVenom
Head Coach
And1: 325

Post#353 » by WeAreVenom » Fri Feb 7, 2020 6:58 pm

Magic fan here....just came to offer my condolences (fwiw).

I loved Kobe, literally my idol. The news still doesn't feel completely real...however, I do think that him dying has only further cemented his legacy and what he meant to people. I truly miss this guy. Always.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#354 » by dockingsched » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:44 am

"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
WeAreVenom
Head Coach
And1: 325

Post#355 » by WeAreVenom » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm

Still broken up over this, everyone else looks to be moving on with life. Still unbelievable to me to look at headlines or videos or whatever and to see "Kobe Bryant Dies" or "Kobe Bryant: 1978 - 2020". Unreal. Don't know where else to vent, figured yall are the only other ones who would get it.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#356 » by chefy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:50 am

WeAreVenom wrote:Still broken up over this, everyone else looks to be moving on with life. Still unbelievable to me to look at headlines or videos or whatever and to see "Kobe Bryant Dies" or "Kobe Bryant: 1978 - 2020". Unreal. Don't know where else to vent, figured yall are the only other ones who would get it.

youre not alone brother.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#357 » by Sprewell4Three » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 am

Kobe was a huge part of our basketball lives. Especially if you been following him since high school. And for him to pass like this so suddenly and tragically is hard to wrap my head around. I mean before he died , he was congratulating Lebron. And then boom the next day , Kobe will never be seen in his physical form ever again. It’s crazy just thinking about it. I know people die everyday but Kobe passing hit home for a lot of us. Like I said a lot of us seen him grow up from a teenager to a man. It honestly felt like I lost a family member or something. It’s strange feeling because my stomach turns just thinking about his passing.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#358 » by Sprewell4Three » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:12 am

I try to avoid seeing pictures and videos of Kobe & Gianna but some how some way where I go online I will see something. And when I do see something I get infuriated because I believe Kobe and Gigi should still be here. Then when I see news headlines about how they buried them yesterday , I get mad even more because I wish I had the power to bring them back. They shouldn’t be 6 ft under ,man. Especially because this tragedy could have been avoided. I don’t know how long it will take for me to finally have “closure”. I really don’t know man.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#359 » by dockingsched » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:41 pm

Read on Twitter
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Re: Kobe & Gianna thread 

Post#360 » by Beethoven » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:46 pm

Is this the first time to give a Hall of fame induction posthumously?
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)

Return to Los Angeles Lakers