2020 Trade Deadline Catch-All

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

2020 Trade Deadline Catch-All 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:20 pm

Though it might be helpful to have one catch-all for loose rumors or trade information regarding the league, and the Pacers in general.

If anything specific comes out, please, feel free to start a thread specific to a real, substantial rumor. Otherwise, keep general info/discussion and other stuff around the league in here.

The trade deadline is this Thursday, at 3pm eastern time.

In regards to our Pacers, we only have one or two mentions in Zach Lowe's primer: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28622376/nba-trade-talk-happen-deadline

• Almost every team in the No. 2-6 logjam in the East would welcome an upgrade, though there has been very little noise about the Pacers; Victor Oladipo might be their midseason acquisition of sorts.

• Indiana could probably get a first-round pick for Aaron Holiday, who has been out of the rotation since Oladipo's return. They have shown little inclination to move him, sources say.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Catch-All 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:22 pm

For me? I think, if Warren is healthy, I'd really only look at dealing Leaf to clear a little more room under the tax to be able to use the full MLE. If a decently major piece is moving, I think I'd rather it EITHER be Aaron Holiday or Jeremy Lamb, depending on the value returning. Really would rather keep Holiday. I might be considered myself into that swap of Lamb for Thad now, but I doubt the front office would be.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#3 » by Jake0890 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:29 pm

I'm going to be extremely surprised if we make any moves at the deadline this year. The only guys that even seem possible are Holiday, Leaf, and Lamb.

I wouldn't lose sleep over Lamb or Leaf being gone. But moving Holiday would be awful.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Post#4 » by boomershadow » Mon Feb 3, 2020 11:21 pm

I'd be surprised to see any move at all, but I'd be even more surprised if it was kind of major move.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#5 » by Pacersike » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:02 am

Aaron Holiday was a good pick, why in heavens name trade him to try to be as lucky again?

They should only make a move if they can significantly upgrade the 4 for the future.

To give up value to get a placeholder to try to contend this year already, I don't think we have a worthy shot to be honest.

Vic returning from severe injury, Domas, MT just getting 24 years old. Now is not the time to go after roleplaying veterans.

Next year, Vic and Malcolm healthy, Domas entering his prime, that's where we should load up for. Even can keep Leaf, no moves I'd still be happy and I love making trades. Also because I don't see a good "available" player for Turner.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#6 » by Topofthekey » Tue Feb 4, 2020 8:50 am

Frankly I'd be very surprised if the Pacers made any moves at all at the trade deadline

It'll be extremely uncharacteristic for them to move any of the new FA signees before even letting them play a full season - so Brogdon, Lamb, TJM, Justin, and Warren (though he didn't come via FA) are probably all safe

I have a hard time imagining them trading Myles as well, and forget about moving Domas and Vic

They've also resisted trading Aaron, Doug's been playing great, and it makes no sense to trade Goga this early

So really, it's just the spare parts - Leaf, Alize, Sumner, Sampson, so maybe a minor deal or something, but I'd be shocked if they made any significant moves
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 10:13 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:For me? I think, if Warren is healthy, I'd really only look at dealing Leaf to clear a little more room under the tax to be able to use the full MLE. If a decently major piece is moving, I think I'd rather it EITHER be Aaron Holiday or Jeremy Lamb, depending on the value returning. Really would rather keep Holiday. I might be considered myself into that swap of Lamb for Thad now, but I doubt the front office would be.

Lamb has been good but a bit inconsistent. Thad Young would be great. I can just see him in our 2nd unit. I'd send Lamb and Leaf for Thad and a 2nd.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:53 pm

In all fairness to Lamb, I’d only even consider moving him because the Holiday brothers have played so darned well this year, and even Sumner has looked good in his few minutes. It’s not at all that Lamb hasn’t played well, just that, in theory, he could be moved for a relatively equal sized contract on a useful, but devalued for some reason, vet at a different position/role, much like himself.

But yeah. This is only even because Justin Holiday has played so well.
Ree4erMadness
Senior
And1: 981

Post#9 » by Ree4erMadness » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:31 pm

Any interest in Clint Capela? I think he'd be a better fit than Turner. We need rebounding and just a tougher guy all around at that position. Maybe the Rockets will take Turner to spread the floor? They'll have him launching 3's.
"In America you'll never be free, middle fingers up **** the police. Damn can a nikka just breathe? - Nas - 2008
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#10 » by boomershadow » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:12 pm

Ree4erMadness wrote:Any interest in Clint Capela? I think he'd be a better fit than Turner. We need rebounding and just a tougher guy all around at that position. Maybe the Rockets will take Turner to spread the floor? They'll have him launching 3's.
I like the idea only because I think Houston's style would really make use of Turner's skillset better than the Pacers have been, but not because I think Capela is actually better than Turner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#11 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:56 pm

Ree4erMadness wrote:Any interest in Clint Capela? I think he'd be a better fit than Turner. We need rebounding and just a tougher guy all around at that position. Maybe the Rockets will take Turner to spread the floor? They'll have him launching 3's.

I personally don't like it. Think it makes us to jumbled with Capela and Sabonis on the floor together. Similar to what has happened a bit in Philly with Horford and Embiid. Sabonis is a P&R P&P type of player that is where he thrives. Where is Capela on offense when Sabonis is playing that role? Or do you put Capela in the P&R and try and spread it with Sabonis? Now we have taken our all-star out of what he does best. I just don't like that fit at all. It's a preference thing though. I thought Philly getting Horford was redundant but many others thought it was great. Certainly doesn't mean I am right.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:06 pm

None at all. Capela is a rebounder and that’s about it. You either have to tell him not to even cross half court on offense, or never play him with Dom, since he would only clog the lane and bring double teams to Sabonis. Capela is a faster Reggie Evans that can catch lobs for alley oops. There’s a reason Houston is more than willing to move him, while also needing back a center.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#13 » by Wizop » Tue Feb 4, 2020 8:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#14 » by boomershadow » Tue Feb 4, 2020 9:08 pm

There is usually some team willing to give a former first round pick a second chance, but I doubt we get much of anything for him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 4, 2020 9:16 pm

Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter

Direct link to the article here:
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2020/02/04/nba-trade-deadline-2020-pacers-looking-deal-former-first-round-pick-t-j-leaf/4656907002/

The main crux of the article (but please reward them with clicks, this is valuable stuff!)
He has appeared in 22 games, mostly after the outcome had been decided, because JaKarr Sampson jumped him in coach Nate McMillan’s rotation.
The Pacers would like a true 4 who can play in space. Though there was a hope that Leaf could be that player, he’s proven to be more comfortable offensively closer to the basket. Justin Holiday, in his first year in Indiana, plays more minutes at the 4 than the Pacers would like given his 6-6, 181-pound frame. His natural positions are the 2 and 3.
The Pacers aren’t unhappy with Leaf’s development. He’s a victim of the numbers game on a team that drafted 6-11 Goga Bitadze befor[e] this season.
They’re seeking to help Leaf find a team that will give him minutes to develop. What the Pacers get in return for Leaf, if anything, will be minimal and isn’t the priority.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 5, 2020 1:54 pm

Looks like Atlanta is bringing Capela to the East for essentially expiring and the Brooklyn 1st they owned. That should make them better long term than playing the Alex Lens of the world.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#17 » by Topofthekey » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:17 pm

Fun with the trade machine

Bulls give: Wendell Carter, Otto Porter, Lauri Markkanen
Bulls get: Aaron Gordon, Mo Bamba, TJ Leaf

Kings give: Bogdan Bogdanovich, Nemanja Bjelica
Kings get: Wendell Carter, Aaron Holiday, Doug McDermott

Magic give: Aaron Gordon, Mo Bamba
Magic get: TJ Warren, Jeremy Lamb, Nemanja Bjelica

Pacers give: TJ Warren, Jeremy Lamb, Doug McDermott, Aaron Holiday, TJ Leaf
Pacers get: Otto Porter, Lauri Markkanen, Bogdan Bogdanovich

Picks added wherever necessary

Bulls:
-Wendell Carter and Mo Bamba are about equal in trade value? Both have under performed since being drafted, so let's shuffle them around and see what happens
-Swap Markkanen for AG; at the very least, together with Lavine, it should be entertaining

Kings:
-cash in on their players for two young prospects in Wendell Carter and Aaron Holiday

Magic:
-trade AG for Warren, who is a better fit
-Bamba has been a little disappointing, swap him for other assets in Lamb and Bjelica

Pacers:
-trade half the team just for the lulz

Jokes aside, the new lineup looks intriguing?

Myles / Goga
Domas / Markkanen
Porter / Justin
Vic / Bogdanovich
Brogdon / TJM

Actually, I kind of like it for the Pacers, which probably means at least one of the other teams are being robbed here
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:46 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Fun with the trade machine

Bulls give: Wendell Carter, Otto Porter, Lauri Markkanen
Bulls get: Aaron Gordon, Mo Bamba, TJ Leaf

Kings give: Bogdan Bogdanovich, Nemanja Bjelica
Kings get: Wendell Carter, Aaron Holiday, Doug McDermott

Magic give: Aaron Gordon, Mo Bamba
Magic get: TJ Warren, Jeremy Lamb, Nemanja Bjelica

Pacers give: TJ Warren, Jeremy Lamb, Doug McDermott, Aaron Holiday, TJ Leaf
Pacers get: Otto Porter, Lauri Markkanen, Bogdan Bogdanovich

Picks added wherever necessary

Bulls:
-Wendell Carter and Mo Bamba are about equal in trade value? Both have under performed since being drafted, so let's shuffle them around and see what happens
-Swap Markkanen for AG; at the very least, together with Lavine, it should be entertaining

Kings:
-cash in on their players for two young prospects in Wendell Carter and Aaron Holiday

Magic:
-trade AG for Warren, who is a better fit
-Bamba has been a little disappointing, swap him for other assets in Lamb and Bjelica

Pacers:
-trade half the team just for the lulz

Jokes aside, the new lineup looks intriguing?

Myles / Goga
Domas / Markkanen
Porter / Justin
Vic / Bogdanovich
Brogdon / TJM

Actually, I kind of like it for the Pacers, which probably means at least one of the other teams are being robbed here

Chicago would want every 1st from the other teams involved to do this. Sacramento doesn’t need Carter with Bagley already invested there. Can’t imagine Orlando having interest in getting older without picks. They’re management has tended to place premium on young “potential” guys. And as for us, it looks like fair value, but something that makes us much worse? Bogdan’s going to hold out if he’s stuck behind Vic. That’s his issue in Sacramento. Porter isn’t better than Warren now and Lauri won’t re sign to stay on the bench forever. Seems like it makes us worse, and throws a couple grenades in the locker room in terms of young guys wanting out immediately.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#19 » by Jake0890 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:41 pm

After trading Capela, the story is now that the Rockets are looking for a new center, and are in discussions with two Eastern conference teams. Sorry, too lazy to post the links....

But the story has so far been connected to Horford (because Philly would love to move that albatross of a contract and are apparently worried about the Bucks getting a hold of him) and us, for reasons I don't need to explain.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Indiana Pacers