ImageImageImage

Around the NBA discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Re: Around the NBA discussion 

Post#121 » by bran muffin » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:34 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Then why was Bleacher Report reporting this on July 7th, 7 days after FA started?

And no matter the technicalities involved, when it's free agency & you're not officially signed on the dotted line not a whole lot else matters i.e. the DeAndre Jordan fiasco. Things can change, so waiting 7 days there's risk involved there.

The NBA Free Agency has a moratorium period that prohibits any contract from being signed during the first week of free agency. You can announce agreements before July 6, but you cannot sign contracts before then. The Mavs announced Powell's extension on June 30, and signed it on July 7.

And once again, let me repeat: Dwight Powell was not even a free agent. He could have opted out by the June 29 deadline and hit free agency in July 1, but he did not. And so he never became a free agent.

Powell did not sign a brand new contract. He simply signed an extension that added 3 more years to his old contract. He is currently playing under the final season of his old 2016 contract. The 3-yr extension starts next season.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#122 » by J_T » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:56 pm

I'm guessing Harden is now officially out of the list of very top players in the league after his 1/17 3-pt performance. He has joined elite group of players, led by Luka. :D
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Post#123 » by Imon » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:49 pm

I'm absolutely stunned by the Kobe news.
An NBA legend but more importantly - a father. Unbelievable tragedy.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#124 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 pm

I'm 41 years old. I'm the class of '96. Kobe felt like he represented me. As silly as that sounds, it just felt like "he's mine". He represented an entire generation.

In 1995, I worked in the Sports department at the Dallas Morning News. I worked part-time for the High School sports section. Kevin Garnett was breaking onto the scene at the time. I remember the skepticism of "Will Garnett be able to make it?" Then when Kobe announced it was something different. He was the first guard to try & make the jump straight out of high school. I remember thinking "this is gonna be a thing". I actually really got into high school basketball at the time. I went to the 1997 McDonald's All American game to cover it, but I started doing the research when Kobe made that announcement. Back then research was harder to do. I would actually call Shane Battier's high school in Detroit & speak to his high school coach. Things like that. I remember having Marcus Fizer's little hometown paper in Louisana sent to me. You're just trying to gather every little tidbit you could.

All of that work started because of Kobe. I remember when I got to Colorado Springs for the McDonald's game. I asked 2 main questions. What do you guys think of Tracy McGrady not being here? And, Did you ever play vs Kobe? What do you think of his game?

A lot of those guys were big names at the time & they didn't make it. Chris Burgess, Kenny Gregory, etc. Kobe exceeded every projection, everything you ever read or heard about the guy.

Then when he came onto the national stage. I mean, he exuded class. Dripping with class from head to toe. I just listened to him on the All the Smoke podcast yesterday. This man was a living life lesson.

This makes me feel very, very mortal. I don't even have words for the loss of his daughter. Jesus.

I just know my emotions have ranged from speechless to shedding tears. This is too much.

Saw this a few weeks ago. Dirk talking about how great Kobe was.

Imon
Head Coach

Post#125 » by Imon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:59 am

Man ... JET's team was set to play against Kobe's team the day Kobe died.
Just some proud parents being involved in their kids' lives. Tragic.
Read on Twitter
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#126 » by arkuo » Wed Feb 5, 2020 5:32 am

Houston traded for Robert Covington. Capela goes to Atlanta. And trash goes around for the other two teams in a 4 team trade.

Houston now going into the playoffs WITHOUT a legit center. Would that affect the western conference standings?
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,101

Post#127 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:11 pm

According to wiretap, Oubre is on the trade block.
I dont know if our TPE is enough for him or salary wise if we can match him but I'd love to have him at the wing. If he's coming without giving up a major asset I think it'd be a nice trade. He has potential and he's already a good defender at the wing. His contract expires next year so it doesnt interfere with Giannis FA.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#128 » by ejs78 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 12:17 am

Either burkes or GRIII will be mav i got a feeling. Both are being held out tonight

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager

Post#129 » by arkuo » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:04 pm

Miami is loading up for the arms race in the East.

This is good. Why? Because if the Bucks keep losing in the playoffs the next 2 years, who will benefit? Yup.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#130 » by Bluelabel24 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:18 pm

arkuo wrote:Miami is loading up for the arms race in the East.

This is good. Why? Because if the Bucks keep losing in the playoffs the next 2 years, who will benefit? Yup.

not only that.. lol but it prevented guys like iggy maybe even gallo to remain in the west.
And now GSW just traded dlo for wiggins...
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,899

Post#131 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:24 pm

ejs78 wrote:Either burkes or GRIII will be mav i got a feeling. Both are being held out tonight

We obviously missed out on those two. Burks would have been a nice addition. Both make roughly 1.5m and are expiring. They will have plenty of options this off season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager

Post#132 » by arkuo » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:53 pm

HMFFL wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Either burkes or GRIII will be mav i got a feeling. Both are being held out tonight

We obviously missed out on those two. Burks would have been a nice addition. Both make roughly 1.5m and are expiring. They will have plenty of options this off season.

Standing pat at the tradr deadline and just letting Courntey Lee expire is a clear sign Cuban has his eyes set on 2021.

We'll operate as an over the cap team next season so they guys we see here is pretty much the same team moving forward. The only time Cuban will get roster flexibility is when THJ expires and that is on 2021.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#133 » by Michaellam1987 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:18 am

The notable FA in 2021 (exclude the restricted FA which normally will resign with their own team), include Giannis, Kawhi, George, LeBron, Hayward, Oladipo, Dinwiddie, Gobert, really can't think of who will be signing with us, just afraid will get disappointed again at the time....
arkuo
General Manager

Post#134 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:The notable FA in 2021 (exclude the restricted FA which normally will resign with their own team), include Giannis, Kawhi, George, LeBron, Hayward, Oladipo, Dinwiddie, Gobert, really can't think of who will be signing with us, just afraid will get disappointed again at the time....

Luka and KP have to pick up their recruitment game. Dirk was always shy and never joined in recruitment pitches. Players talk to players so we couldnt get these stars signing with old man Donnie Nelson in a suit. They'd go with their "homies" 9 times out of 10.

Dallas has never been the number one choice for free agents over LA or South Beach. They also are in a unique spot where they have two white European kids running the show. Black athletes would almost never line up to play with white kids. Again, I didn't say never, just almost never.
Imon
Head Coach

Post#135 » by Imon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:40 am

Luka with some former Mavs Friday during all star break.
I wonder if Dirk will be in Chicago at some point. Makes sense why Kidd is there since he's now with the Lakers.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#136 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:33 am

arkuo wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:The notable FA in 2021 (exclude the restricted FA which normally will resign with their own team), include Giannis, Kawhi, George, LeBron, Hayward, Oladipo, Dinwiddie, Gobert, really can't think of who will be signing with us, just afraid will get disappointed again at the time....

Luka and KP have to pick up their recruitment game. Dirk was always shy and never joined in recruitment pitches. Players talk to players so we couldnt get these stars signing with old man Donnie Nelson in a suit. They'd go with their "homies" 9 times out of 10.

Dallas has never been the number one choice for free agents over LA or South Beach. They also are in a unique spot where they have two white European kids running the show. Black athletes would almost never line up to play with white kids. Again, I didn't say never, just almost never.

That is why I am so pessimistic on recruitment of big name free agent, it is just too hard, Giannis/Gobert won't leave MIL/UTAH, LA teams will still be very competitive that LeBron/Kawhi/George wont leave, Oladipo is loyal to IND and IND like him very much. Only Hayward/Dinwiddie may be to expensive for BOS/BKN to resign, but you really want DAL to spend huge money on them?
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#137 » by fuller4379 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:
That is why I am so pessimistic on recruitment of big name free agent, it is just too hard, Giannis/Gobert won't leave MIL/UTAH, LA teams will still be very competitive that LeBron/Kawhi/George wont leave, Oladipo is loyal to IND and IND like him very much. Only Hayward/Dinwiddie may be to expensive for BOS/BKN to resign, but you really want DAL to spend huge money on them?

Hopefully, the Mavs learned from the past.

2011 - Don't gut the team because you think you can get big fish in free agency. CP3 and Howard nibbled but didn't bite. Wasted a few more years where Dirk could have contended.

2013 - Don't trade down to save a couple 100k in cap space when you can draft a player you think is going to be a future star inGiannis Antetokounmpo.

The Mavs have done a decent job building a team on table scraps and overpaying middle sized fish after the Big Fish commit somewhere else. We have two great players. The goal should be to find complementary pieces to Luka and KP. If a big fish calls and fits with Luka and KP, that would be great, and there always seems to be a way to make the salary cap work when that happens. The Clippers were able to add two this year of course it cost them a lot of future draft choices.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#138 » by arkuo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:19 am

fuller4379 wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:

Hopefully, the Mavs learned from the past.

2011 - Don't gut the team because you think you can get big fish in free agency. CP3 and Howard nibbled but didn't bite. Wasted a few more years where Dirk could have contended.

2013 - Don't trade down to save a couple 100k in cap space when you can draft a player you think is going to be a future star inGiannis Antetokounmpo.

The Mavs have done a decent job building a team on table scraps and overpaying middle sized fish after the Big Fish commit somewhere else. We have two great players. The goal should be to find complementary pieces to Luka and KP. If a big fish calls and fits with Luka and KP, that would be great, and there always seems to be a way to make the salary cap work when that happens. The Clippers were able to add two this year of course it cost them a lot of future draft choices.

The thing with dot com billionaires is that most of them feel like they're the smartest guy in the room just because they happened to stumble upon loads of cash using computers. These are all on Cuban.

Even if we had Jerry West as a GM, Cuban would have probably still vetoed the Giannis pick to get someone else.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#139 » by fuller4379 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:05 pm

arkuo wrote:
The thing with dot com billionaires is that most of them feel like they're the smartest guy in the room just because they happened to stumble upon loads of cash using computers. These are all on Cuban.

Even if we had Jerry West as a GM, Cuban would have probably still vetoed the Giannis pick to get someone else.

Agreed. When the new CBA came out in 2011, Cuban broke up the team with the thoughts that other owners would overpay players and then get desperate when the repeat offender luxury tax started charging $4 for ever dollar over the tax threshold. There have been a few salary dumps but not a lot. He gutted the franchise for nothing.

Cuban should have also put more trust in Donnie's knowledge of Euros.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,899

Post#140 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:14 pm

RICK CARLISLE, Dallas Mavericks coach, 60 years old, 188 games over five seasons, retired in 1990 The last pickup game I played in was in 2000. This was a pretty compelling thing to observe if you’re any kind of historian. It was me, Derrick McKey, Chris Mullin and Larry Bird against Al Harrington, Jonathan Bender, Jeff Foster and Zan Tabak. We played a three-game series. It was tied 1-1. In the third game, Bird came off a screen on the right side, caught and shot a 17-footer high above Jeff Foster’s outreached hand. The ball went straight up in the air and straight through the basket without touching the rim at all. Larry and I looked at each other and basically said, ‘We’re done with this after today.’ The game-winner will probably never be able to be topped. Plus, physically, playing against those guys, Foster was so strong and so dynamic that it was dangerous being out there. Larry and I both realized it. That was the last time I ever did it. And I’m positive that was the last time he did it too. I was 41 at the time.

– via K.C. Johnson @ NBC Sports

Return to Dallas Mavericks