Around the NBA, Season 2019-2020

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 771

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2019-2020 

Post#161 » by dr0welf » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:00 pm

Patton was looking good in the g-league earlier this year for OKC before he got traded to Dallas. He would be a good project center, Bradley is probably better at this point but Patton reminds me of a young Gobert except with a shot.

We have Davis and Mudiay that we could trade for a backup center if we want to, I just don't think the Jazz want to at this point. I believe they want to see how Bradley continues to develop.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#162 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 am

Lakers fall to 76ers tonight and jazz move 3 games back. Why not 1st seed this year?
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#163 » by sipclip » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:31 am

dr0welf wrote:Patton was looking good in the g-league earlier this year for OKC before he got traded to Dallas. He would be a good project center, Bradley is probably better at this point but Patton reminds me of a young Gobert except with a shot.

We have Davis and Mudiay that we could trade for a backup center if we want to, I just don't think the Jazz want to at this point. I believe they want to see how Bradley continues to develop.
I can't believe Patton is still only 22. I just watched the highlights of his 45 point game and he was moving really well. No sign of lingering foot issues in that game at least. If the foot issues are no longer bothering him then there is no reason he shouldn't be on an nba roster with that blend of size, athleticism and skill. Defensively the sky is the limit for him with the way he moves when healthy. Someone is probably going to get a steal when they finally take a chance on him. Hopefully that is us. I sure as hell would rather get a look at him than NWG.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#164 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 9:31 pm

D'Antoni liked that win against the Jazz so much with the small lineup, that he tried a small lineup again against the Mavs and won again.

(Sefalosha got a big haircut on the NBA re-measure before the season, and is only listed at 6-6 now.)

Mike D'Antoni On Using Lineups Without Player Taller Than 6-Foot-6: 'We're 2-0 With It'
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257013/Mike-DAntoni-On-Using-Lineups-Without-Player-Taller-Than-6-Foot-6-Were-2-0-With-It

Snips: The Houston Rockets became the first NBA team since 1963 to play an entire game without a player taller than 6-foot-6 in the lineup during their 128-121 win over the Dallas Mavericks. "We're 2-0 with it ... When we're getting to the rim, it's pretty devastating, so they better beat us up inside pretty well before we have to change. ... the underlying thing is we're just really trying to open it up for James and Russ to get to the rim so we can get layups. Those are the best shots -- and fouls. That lineup permits that," explained D'Antoni.

D'Antoni added that the lineup could continue to be effective as long as players box out. The Rockets outrebounded the Mavs 52-37 on the night.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#165 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:04 am

I really can't understand why the Rockets traded Capela, and they've been trying to do so last season as well. He's giving them great rebounding, good interior defense and rim protection, and they trade it away for another wing. They will need what he provides during the playoffs and he's probably their only true effective big. I'm not really addressing the trade itself, but the general thought process behind being so eager to move Capela for some time now and get even smaller.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 419

Post#166 » by TNJazz » Wed Feb 5, 2020 3:16 pm

D. Antoni has had a love affair with the small ball push the tempo concept since he cam into the league. Look at his teams going all the back to Phoenix and that has been his MO. While the mini experiment with the under 6'6" team played well in the last couple of games, I don't think it will translate well come playoff time when teams can scheme to utilize length. I too am head scratching this trade. Wonder if there could have been any way we could have traded Conley for Capela? I know there isn't but its fun to dream.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#167 » by sipclip » Wed Feb 5, 2020 3:29 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I really can't understand why the Rockets traded Capela, and they've been trying to do so last season as well. He's giving them great rebounding, good interior defense and rim protection, and they trade it away for another wing. They will need what he provides during the playoffs and he's probably their only true effective big. I'm not really addressing the trade itself, but the general thought process behind being so eager to move Capela for some time now and get even smaller.

I don't get it either. I really like Capela and he is deadly in the pick and roll with Harden when they actually use it. He is also a very good defensive player and great rebounder. The craziest part of all of this is not that they traded him but the fact that they actually had to attach a 1st rd pick as well to make it happen. I like Covington as a player but I personally like Capela more.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#168 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Feb 5, 2020 4:12 pm

Yep. If the Rockets wanted to roll with the small-ball all the time they could do it while still keeping Capela and playing him around 25mpg. There would still be matchups for him. I don't get this trade, they'll need size under the basket at some point during the season and the playoffs and they now they won't have it--not even the option of using it. This move may have sabotaged any chance the might have had to win a ring imho.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#169 » by sipclip » Wed Feb 5, 2020 5:51 pm

I do want to mention that I love this trade for the wolves if they can actually re-sign Hernangomez and Beasley. I'm a big fan of both guys and would love to have on the jazz. Beasley and Mitchell in the backcourt would be pretty deadly in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#170 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:05 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Yep. If the Rockets wanted to roll with the small-ball all the time they could do it while still keeping Capela and playing him around 25mpg. There would still be matchups for him. I don't get this trade, they'll need size under the basket at some point during the season and the playoffs and they now they won't have it--not even the option of using it. This move may have sabotaged any chance the might have had to win a ring imho.

Yes, It seems crazy to let Capela go and go 100% in on small ball, but they beat one of the biggest and baddest front lines in basketball last night at Staples --- the Lakers with McGee, AD, Howard and Lebron. The small ball Rockets virtually played them to a draw on rebounds. PJ Tucker must be one one of the toughest 6-5 players to ever play the game, no? He effectively uses his combination of weight and low center of gravity to box out much bigger players. Covington had an excellent debut.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#171 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Feb 8, 2020 12:15 pm

Things are getting heated on Twitter with the Blazers' players. Can't say I blame them.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1939668

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#172 » by KqWIN » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:08 pm

Dragan Bender just got released by the Bucks in order to sign Marvin Williams. I scoffed at the idea of signing him in the summer, but he's been impressive in the G-League (which at the same time means nothing) and NWG still owns a roster spot.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#173 » by zero24gravity » Sat Feb 8, 2020 9:40 pm

KqWIN wrote:Dragan Bender just got released by the Bucks in order to sign Marvin Williams. I scoffed at the idea of signing him in the summer, but he's been impressive in the G-League (which at the same time means nothing) and NWG still owns a roster spot.

I just posted about him in the future fa thread. Far from an impact player, but does posses some skills the Jazz could use.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#174 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:44 pm

The Rockets just signed DeMarre Carroll and Jeff Green. While I like these additions, it is astounding to me how hard they are going for the small-ball thing, forgoing size, rim protection and rebounding and any kind of interior defense. Even with waived players they're not looking for a big, they don't even want the option to have a big body in there in case they'll need one. It's quite something to watch.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#175 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:45 pm

I usually don't watch allstar weekend anymore but I did watch this one and I have to admit it was a good one. The dunk contest was very good, unlike most of the recent contests. And the allstar game was good too. I was skeptical about the changes to the format the NBA had introduced but it actually worked well and added to the competitiveness of the game.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#176 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:36 pm

I agree that this was the best All Star weekend in quite a while. The dunk competition was great, although they should probably change how they score it, such as allowing decimals now that they are electronic, and the 4th quarter of the game, which I almost didn't watch as it is usually boring, was awesome!
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#177 » by dr0welf » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:06 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:The Rockets just signed DeMarre Carroll and Jeff Green. While I like these additions, it is astounding to me how hard they are going for the small-ball thing, forgoing size, rim protection and rebounding and any kind of interior defense. Even with waived players they're not looking for a big, they don't even want the option to have a big body in there in case they'll need one. It's quite something to watch.

Don't they have Tyson Chandler?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#178 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 am

dr0welf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:The Rockets just signed DeMarre Carroll and Jeff Green. While I like these additions, it is astounding to me how hard they are going for the small-ball thing, forgoing size, rim protection and rebounding and any kind of interior defense. Even with waived players they're not looking for a big, they don't even want the option to have a big body in there in case they'll need one. It's quite something to watch.

Yes, they have 37 year old Chandler who is averaging 8MPG in 26 games and 21 year old Isaiah Hartenstein who is averaging 11.6MPG in 23 games.

dr0welf
Analyst

Post#179 » by dr0welf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:42 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
dr0welf wrote:

Yes, they have 37 year old Chandler who is averaging 8MPG in 26 games and 21 year old Isaiah Hartenstein who is averaging 11.6MPG in 23 games.

I don't think he's the answer, but if a team figures out a great way to punish them for playing small ball Houston could lean on him short term to help bandaid the situation. I'm not a big fan of the direction they are heading as I believe even teams that struggle shooting could out rebound you on the offensive glass and punish you. If we line up against them we have to keep Rudy and one other to crash the offensive glass while the other three get back to cover in transition defense.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,404

Post#180 » by MalonesElbows » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:11 am

Since going mega smallball (4 games), Houston's rebounds are at 36.7 per game, their season average 45.6.
3 point percentage in mega smallball is 32.7%, season average 34.7%.

It may be too early to judge, but early signs point to this being a poor strategy.

Return to Utah Jazz