ImageImage

Welcome to Atlanta Clint Capela (and Nene)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Re: Welcome to Atlanta Clint Capela (and Nene) 

Post#21 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:41 am

A+ GMing and great addition to our new Hawks
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#22 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:35 am

dms269 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I don't hate the trade, but I wouldn't have done it either, because I assume that the Hawks will just draft Wiseman this summer.
Very risky to assume that we would get the #1 pick.

Love the deal. We get our young center to pair with the core and only had to give up a mediocre first for it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

With the success of Luka and Trae, I don't think teams will be taking centers at #1 for a while. I think if the Hawks get any where in the top 7 draft picks, Wise should be available.

Wise is a traditional big, he doesn't have the ball handling of Giannis or 3pt shot of Embiid. I think Wise can be as good as 2010 Tim Duncan, which is only 15ppg but an anchor on defense.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,927

Post#23 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:57 am

This was an awesome trade by Schlenk!
And we still have Parsons, Len and Parker to make other moves.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,470

Post#24 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:59 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
dms269 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I don't hate the trade, but I wouldn't have done it either, because I assume that the Hawks will just draft Wiseman this summer.

Love the deal. We get our young center to pair with the core and only had to give up a mediocre first for it.

With the success of Luka and Trae, I don't think teams will be taking centers at #1 for a while. I think if the Hawks get any where in the top 7 draft picks, Wise should be available.

Wise is a traditional big, he doesn't have the ball handling of Giannis or 3pt shot of Embiid. I think Wise can be as good as 2010 Tim Duncan, which is only 15ppg but an anchor on defense.

Wiseman is more skilled than that. I actually like the form on his jump shot & ball handling ability especially for his size. He isn’t the project some think he is offensively imo.

Read on Twitter

Great trade though. Absolutely no downside when we only gave up Turner / BKN pick for him. And he’s only 25 + has a solid contract for 3+ more years.
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#25 » by Radioblacktive1 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 12:34 pm

Does Nene get waived? Apparently we got too many people.

Man...
Trae
Huerter
Hunter
Collins
Capela

2nd unit:
Teague
Goodwin
Reddish
Parker
Len

This team at 100% is a bonafide contender.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#26 » by D21 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 12:50 pm

Well done Schlenk.
Even if I can't be sure that Capela is the best fit at C with the players we have and we way we play, there are several points I thought would be the best in case of trade, and Schlenk hits all :

- take a player with longer contract than one or two years, as we never get big F.A., so for 2020 or 2021 free agency, better have one guy under contract for one year and use him in sign-&-trade than having cap space, especially now that the core is here and extension will come (and no cap space in the following year)

- not giving pick for short contract, or giving only BKN pick for longer, as there is 50% chance that BKN tank the end of the season and keep their pick this season

- try to get the younger guy available and not a veteran frustrated to not be traded to a immediate contender (Adams ?...)

Now, a move for Chandler, Parker,... ? Is it needed now, or let them expire and get cap space for this summer ?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#27 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 12:51 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:Does Nene get waived? Apparently we got too many people.

Man...
Trae
Huerter
Hunter
Collins
Capela

2nd unit:
Teague
Goodwin
Reddish
Parker
Len

This team at 100% is a bonafide contender.

Yes. That way we only pay him $2.5 mil
jayu70
RealGM

Post#28 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 12:53 pm

Here's why Atlanta made the trade:
1. Needed a starting quality C that defends and rebounds
2. He is signed to a reasonable long term contract
3. It cost us an expiring and the BKN pick
4. One less position to worry about in FA and the draft.
5. We still have tons of projected capspace for more trades, FAcy and taking salary for picks.
6. and most important:
We don't have to pay Andre Drummond $30 million in FAcy
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,625

Post#29 » by Skybox » Wed Feb 5, 2020 12:53 pm

Wow...good one! If Collins can legitimately shoot, you guys are on to something. Capela's young, strong, good hands and proven. Now just give Trae some gunners to open things up. I'm jealous in ORL as I feel we have a lot of talent, but completely mismatched at this point. ATL building something sensible.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#30 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Feb 5, 2020 12:56 pm

Got this done for what will a pick in the mid teens at best. With every Hawks trade there is a small caveat however.

“From the looks of it, it doesn’t sound like this is a day-to-day situation for Capela, either. There’s a growing sense internally he could be out for a while, at least until after the All-Star break. Capela is said to be in pain daily, struggling to run early Friday morning before the Mavericks’ game. A collective coaching decision was made that day to rest him until he fully recovers.”

He should be fully healthy at some point this season, but we have an investment of 3 more years and it may be time to shut him down for obvious reasons. I think the Rockets saw his injury status, them believing in their analytics, RC being a better fit, and tax savings as to why Capela had such low value.

The team will have 50m in committed salary including the draft pick. Even if they set the cap at 110m, that's 60m they have to work with.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#31 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 12:59 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Got this done for what will a pick in the mid teens at best. With every Hawks trade there is a small caveat however.

“From the looks of it, it doesn’t sound like this is a day-to-day situation for Capela, either. There’s a growing sense internally he could be out for a while, at least until after the All-Star break. Capela is said to be in pain daily, struggling to run early Friday morning before the Mavericks’ game. A collective coaching decision was made that day to rest him until he fully recovers.”

He should be fully healthy at some point this season, but we have an investment of 3 more years and it may be time to shut him down for obvious reasons. I think the Rockets saw his injury status, them believing in their analytics, RC being a better fit, and tax savings as to why Capela had such low value.

The team will have 50m in committed salary including the draft pick. Even if they set the cap at 110m, that's 60m they have to work with.

Welcome to Emory Sports Center Clint!
Chelsea Lane will get him right. I think Houston wanted him back sooner, the Hawks can afford to let him recover slowly. They have been cautious with our players.
I hate to be thinking this but him being out awhile keeps our lottery position intact. 8-)
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#32 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Feb 5, 2020 1:19 pm

jayu70 wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:Got this done for what will a pick in the mid teens at best. With every Hawks trade there is a small caveat however.

Chelsea Lane will get him right. I think Houston wanted him back sooner, the Hawks can afford to let him recover slowly. They have been cautious with our players.
I hate to be thinking this but him being out awhile keeps our lottery position intact. 8-)

That's my main obvious reason. Business is business, we need odds for a high pick and for Capela to be pain free from his foot injury. Alot will be asked of him 2nd only to Trae, and they should shut him down until they are sure he's fully healed.

There are only 30 games left in the season. Parker could bring back a 2nd rounder by tomorrow. I want the 2020 2nd rounder back from Philly, I wonder if we can trade for one to substitute.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#33 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 1:37 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

That's my main obvious reason. Business is business, we need odds for a high pick and for Capela to be pain free from his foot injury. Alot will be asked of him 2nd only to Trae, and they should shut him down until they are sure he's fully healed.

There are only 30 games left in the season. Parker could bring back a 2nd rounder by tomorrow. I want the 2020 2nd rounder back from Philly, I wonder if we can trade for one to substitute.

What does Philly need?
Between Parsons, Parker, Len, Bembry, Jones - there has gotta be a few 2nds in there.
Deester11
Freshman
And1: 59

Post#34 » by Deester11 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 1:53 pm

dms269 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I don't hate the trade, but I wouldn't have done it either, because I assume that the Hawks will just drive Wiseman this summer.

Additionally, the "what-if" scenario for the Hawks in the draft becomes less of a burden. They can go with Wiseman if they like him enough and still groom him behind Capella. If they happen to get the first..come on down Edwards. This draft is less certain than any of the past few so Schlenk did a masterful job setting the Hawks up for next year and beyond without a we MUST DRAFT strategy.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#35 » by D21 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:01 pm

jayu70 wrote:What does Philly need?
Between Parsons, Parker, Len, Bembry, Jones - there has gotta be a few 2nds in there.

PHI main problem is that they have no bench, their starting five is best in the league in Efficiency difference, but their bench is dominated like no or almost no other. Parker could be a good pick for them, but they certainly needs 3pts shooters too since the loss of Reddick, and seeing guy like Korver not coming AND going to a rival
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#36 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:07 pm

jayu70 wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Welcome to Emory Sports Center Clint!

What does Philly need?

From the Fernando deal:
July 7, 2019: Traded by the Philadelphia 76ers to the Atlanta Hawks for Jordan Bone, a 2020 2nd round draft pick and a 2023 2nd round draft pick. (56-60 protected) (2023 second-round draft pick is ATL's, CHO's, or BRK's, whichever is most favorable.)

From the looks of it, the Hawks should be able to buy/acquire a 2020 2nd rounder by draft day conveying it to Philly so we can keep our own 2nd. Shouldn't be too much of an issue even though Schlenk doesn't value them but they need to build depth on the bench for a legit playoff run.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#37 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Sounds like Houston was most interested in avoiding the luxury tax bill. Glad we were in position to take advantage with a clean cap sheet and extra pick(s).

Read on Twitter
With the players involved Gerald Green must be pissed that he was moved. On a positive note he was trades to Denver will be in the postseason.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#38 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:13 pm

Biggest trade of the deadline so far and we gave up very little. Nice play!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
CalOrl11
Pro Prospect
And1: 453

Post#39 » by CalOrl11 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:21 pm

I have just come to say, how did you pull this off? :lol:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#40 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:34 pm

CalOrl11 wrote:I have just come to say, how did you pull this off? :lol:

Capspace, Expiring Contracts and assets. :D

Return to Atlanta Hawks