ImageImage

Off Topic VIII

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Re: Off Topic VIII 

Post#1481 » by 50CalClips » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:02 am

See you in the stands, "Mint City Collective"...

penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#1482 » by penquin11 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:58 pm

Titans have the steal of the draft in WR AJ Brown. I remember watching a draft process documentary for the guy, and he wasn't super enthused to go to the Titans (or so it seemed) over his draft call. However, the Titans front office on the other hand seemed to know exactly what they were getting remarking that it was only a matter of time.

AJ Brown is going to be a top 10 WR in the NFL next year, arguable even being worthy of a round 1 or 2 fantasy draft pick if he lives up to his production at the end of this year.
------------------
Also in NCAAF news:

As good as Chase Young has been this year, and he is drawing comparisons to Von Miller, its important to realize that the #2 sack leader in the nation (Gregory Rousseau of Miami) is a 6'6 260ILB FRESHMEN.

Thats right. A 6'6 260 redshirt freshmen with 15.5 sacks in his first year on the field. Dude is going to be NASTY.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1483 » by BigSlam » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:23 pm

penquin11 wrote:Titans have the steal of the draft in WR AJ Brown. I remember watching a draft process documentary for the guy, and he wasn't super enthused to go to the Titans (or so it seemed) over his draft call. However, the Titans front office on the other hand seemed to know exactly what they were getting remarking that it was only a matter of time.

AJ Brown is going to be a top 10 WR in the NFL next year, arguable even being worthy of a round 1 or 2 fantasy draft pick if he lives up to his production at the end of this year.

Watching him against the Saints week 16 and I was blown away by how quick he is.

For a dude that big/thick you wouldn’t expect him to be so quick - but he is.

Same with Deebo Samuel in San Fran. That kid is going to be something special.

On WR’s: How good is this years WR draft class?!?!? I love me some CeeDee Lamb. Kid is a RAC animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#1484 » by predators » Tue Jan 7, 2020 5:39 pm

I'm pretty skeptical of the Matt Rhule hire.

1. College coaches without a lot of NFL coaching experience are rarely successful. Rhule spent once season as an AST O-line coach with the Giants in 2012.
2. While the turnaround job at Baylor is impressive at 1st glance, the win total this year was somewhat juiced by a weak Big12 & an even weaker non con schedule.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#1485 » by penquin11 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:14 am

predators wrote:I'm pretty skeptical of the Matt Rhule hire.

1. College coaches without a lot of NFL coaching experience are rarely successful. Rhule spent once season as an AST O-line coach with the Giants in 2012.
2. While the turnaround job at Baylor is impressive at 1st glance, the win total this year was somewhat juiced by a weak Big12 & an even weaker non con schedule.

I wouldn't be so skeptical if it wasn't such a large and longterm contract. I just can't understand why we wouldn't go with a 3 year contract, that's realistically when we will know whether his "rebuild" has worked or not.

I think the work he did at both Temple and Baylor was fantastic, he did a terrific job getting the most out of the talent at his disposal, but the NFL is a bit of a different animal in that there really isn't the level of discrepancy between skill levels that exist at the NCAA level and I wonder whether those margins will impact his ability to maximize the potential on our roster.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,034

Post#1486 » by JDR720 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:26 am

Well, this is unexpected.
Read on Twitter
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,034

Post#1487 » by JDR720 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:43 am

I think Cam will retire after this upcoming season.

Gonna be a big rebuild in Carolina sooner rather than later.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#1488 » by amcoolio » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:47 am

Rhule will be fine. Kudos to Tepper for realizing that the NFL has changed and its more ideal to hire a great game manager/motivator as your head coach and delegate both the offense and defense to coordinators like what Carolina is doing. The old way of doing things is hiring a coordinator from other team and too often they don't know how to manage games and it results in a lot of frustrating decisions, wasted timeouts, etc. (IE The Ron Rivera Era)

Luke retiring will also be fine, Panthers had one of the worst defenses in NFL history WITH a healthy Luke this season. He clearly has lost a step physically and decided to retire before getting embarrassed on the field. He will be sorely missed, but its not like the Panthers can get any worse. They'll give Shaq a tryout at MLB and if he flounders it will be #1 priority 2021 offseason.

Panthers will be bad the next couple years unless Cam is healthy or we sign Dalton and have an excellent draft/FA offseason. The good news is every other NFC South team has major questions as well.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1489 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:49 pm

amcoolio wrote:The good news is every other NFC South team has major questions as well.

Not the Saints.

;)

B B M F 'ers
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#1490 » by penquin11 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:12 pm

amcoolio wrote:Rhule will be fine. Kudos to Tepper for realizing that the NFL has changed and its more ideal to hire a great game manager/motivator as your head coach and delegate both the offense and defense to coordinators like what Carolina is doing. The old way of doing things is hiring a coordinator from other team and too often they don't know how to manage games and it results in a lot of frustrating decisions, wasted timeouts, etc. (IE The Ron Rivera Era)

Luke retiring will also be fine, Panthers had one of the worst defenses in NFL history WITH a healthy Luke this season. He clearly has lost a step physically and decided to retire before getting embarrassed on the field. He will be sorely missed, but its not like the Panthers can get any worse. They'll give Shaq a tryout at MLB and if he flounders it will be #1 priority 2021 offseason.

Panthers will be bad the next couple years unless Cam is healthy or we sign Dalton and have an excellent draft/FA offseason. The good news is every other NFC South team has major questions as well.

Despite losing a step its important to note that Luke still graded out as one of the top players in the NFL (according to PFF he had a grad of 87.5, Ryan Tannenhill lead the league with a 92 to put it in perspective) which is why he was all-pro. Our defense is going to dearly miss him and will likely take an even further step back if we don't attempt to bring someone else in.

I always suggest we go BPA and barring some ridiculous trade up scenario or Tua dropping to us at #7 I would like to see us go for either Isaiah Simmons (LB/S/DB Clemson) who is just about a surefire player as they come (graded among the best on his team and nation in nearly every defensive category, from pass coverage to pass rush) or CB Okudah from Ohio State as I believe he has the potential to be a top 5 CB.

I'm not sold on DT Derrick Brown or any of the early Olinemen as being surefire stars, and you just can't waste a top 10 pick on an average player given how rarely it happens for us, especially if we are looking at a rebuild.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#1491 » by predators » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:04 pm

BigSlam wrote:
amcoolio wrote:The good news is every other NFC South team has major questions as well.

Not the Saints.

;)

Drew Brees is going to be 42 next season and was just out dueled by Kirk Cousins at home in the SuperDome.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1492 » by BigSlam » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:23 pm

predators wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

Not the Saints.

;)

Drew Brees is going to be 42 next season and was just out dueled by Kirk Cousins at home in the SuperDome.

Brees was awarded offensive player of the month in Dec to close out the season.

He put up record numbers again last season in terms of passing percentages etc and had he not missed 5 3/4 games likely still would have put up 30-40 TD's with an awesome TD to INT ratio. I mean, he threw for 27 and 4 in only 11 games as it was.

The decline is coming, it is inevitable, but there's no reason he can't/wont be able to perform at a high level for at least 1 more season, maybe 2. Plus he's not Brady saying he wants to play and will play anywhere. If Brees does want to play the only place he is playing in New Orleans.

Brees wasn't out dueled by Cousins, the Saints offensive line put in a stinker. The Vikings moved their edge rushers to the inside and that gave the Saints fits.

And he'll be 42 in Jan of 2021. He just turned 41 a few weeks back. It's not like he's going into the season having already turned 42.
B B M F 'ers
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#1493 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:48 pm

Decent amount of smoke around a potential Brees retirement, too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1494 » by BigSlam » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:00 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:Decent amount of smoke around a potential Brees retirement, too.

If Brees does retire then they'll just retain Bridgewater as the starting QB and Hill (restricted who they will retain) will be his backup.

If Brees does come back then he'll start and they'll move on from Bridgewater who will sign somewhere else as a starter and Hill will back up Brees (and they might target a rookie QB in the draft - Love at the end of the 1st or Hurts in the 3rd maybe?)
B B M F 'ers
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#1495 » by SWedd523 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 1:43 pm

BigSlam wrote:
BlackOutBuzz wrote:Decent amount of smoke around a potential Brees retirement, too.

If Brees does retire then they'll just retain Bridgewater as the starting QB and Hill (restricted who they will retain) will be his backup.

If Brees does come back then he'll start and they'll move on from Bridgewater who will sign somewhere else as a starter and Hill will back up Brees (and they might target a rookie QB in the draft - Love at the end of the 1st or Hurts in the 3rd maybe?)

No chance they keep both Hill and Bridgewater
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1496 » by 316Hornets » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:51 pm

I'm not sure what the Panthers are going to do with Cam. I just don't trust him to be healthy and think they are risking doing a rebuild during CMC's prime years if they don't do it now. My gut says trade him and tank for 1 year and hope to be at the top of the draft board in 2021 to take a shot at Lawrence or Fields. However, if the medicals clear him and there is a strong chance of him lasting another 5 years, then you just build up that line and work with what you got.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1497 » by BigSlam » Mon Feb 3, 2020 1:53 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

No chance they keep both Hill and Bridgewater

If Brees comes back I 100% agree they wont keep both Hill and Bridgewater. But if Brees retires then I bet they'll keep at least 1 of them and maybe both.

IMO the Saints QB depth will be:
Option #2 = Brees - Hill
or
Option #2 = Bridgewater - Hill
or
Option #3 = Hill - FA QB (Mariota?)
or
Option #4 = Hill - Rookie QB (Love or Hurts?)

Either way I don't see how one of either Brees, Bridgewater or Hill isn't the Saints starting QB next season.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1498 » by BigSlam » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:07 pm

I really, really enjoyed the SB. I'd score it a strong 9 out of 10.

Had a lot of great elements:
Team coming from behind in the closing mins.
Some trick plays.
Long bombs (that throw on 3 and 15 by Mahomes in the 4th was nuts).
4th down attempts and conversions.
Some big hits.
Some turn overs.
Some fumble recoveries.
Some strong sacks.
Some great runs (Deebo is nuts).
Some great catches.
A controversial call (the offensive PI on Kittle).
A GREAT opening sequence with the kids running into the stadium off the ad.
A pretty strong half time show.

It kinda had it all!
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1499 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:36 pm

Morant and Curry going back and forth on twitter. I like it.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#1500 » by yosemiteben » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:25 pm

I'm actively monitoring Hornets trade deadline stuff along with my Phish ticket lottery results.

Unfortunately I'm expecting nothing from both.

Return to Charlotte Hornets