ImageImage

Grizzlies young core one of the league's best?

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Re: Grizzlies young core one of the league's best? 

Post#21 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:52 pm

I think Morant will slowly increase his attempts per game. He started the season barely taking any and now he is good for a few attempts per game. I think it is probably what he is working on and hopefully that will be closer to 5-7 APG by the end of the season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:02 am

The NBA’s Five Most Interesting Teams Under .500

These squads continue to fascinate despite continuing to lose games

Memphis Grizzlies

For my money, the 16-22 Grizz have been the most entertaining team under .500 all season, and it hasn’t been particularly close. I’ve waxed rhapsodic about Ja Morant before, and it sure doesn’t seem like he’s going to stop giving me reasons to anytime soon: The Rookie of the Year favorite continues to deliver swoon-inducing highlights damn near every night, playing with a veteran’s pace and a ravenous hunger for opponents’ ankles.

Watching the Grizzlies come back against and then close out the Timberwolves on Tuesday behind a steady of diet of pick-and-rolls with Jaren Jackson Jr. screening for Morant—two 20-year-olds reading, contorting, dictating, and decimating the (admittedly hapless) Minnesota defense—felt like looking through a keyhole into an awfully exciting future:

Spoiler:
The precocious Grizzlies are 11-9 since December 1, with the NBA’s no. 9 offense in that span. Jackson has been even more aggressive when looking for his shot beyond the arc, firing 7.6 3-point attempts in 29.5 minutes per game and drilling them at a 41.1 percent clip. More importantly, he might also finally be starting to cut down on the hacking that’s mitigated his two-way impact. After committing 5.2 fouls per 36 minutes as a rookie and 5.6-per-36 through mid-December, Jackson’s down to a more manageable 4.4-per-36 over the last 10 games, which has helped first-year head coach Taylor Jenkins keep the talented sophomore on the floor rather than having to send him to the bench.

Not that going to the bench is a bad idea for these Grizzlies: Memphis’s second unit has been one of the best in the league during this recent run. Before the season, I mentioned De’Anthony Melton, imported from Phoenix over the summer in a deal headlined by former top-five pick Josh Jackson, as a player who might carve out a niche as an active, aggressive perimeter stopper in a city where Tony Allen became a superhero in such a role. But even his most ardent supporters couldn’t have envisioned he’d pop like this: The Grizzlies have outscored opponents by 129 points in 400 minutes with Melton on the floor since December 1—the seventh-best plus-minus mark in the league during that stretch, behind only four members of the league-leading Bucks, Joe Ingles of the red-hot Jazz, and LeBron Raymone James.

The 21-year-old routinely makes positive contributions as a complementary ball handler, slash-and-kick attacker, off-ball cutter, 3-point shooter (41.7 percent on catch-and-shoot triples during this span), and surprise board crasher; Melton is 6-foot-2, and no player that size has ever posted a higher rebounding rate than he’s managing right now. And, as he was at USC and at times in Phoenix, Melton’s been a wrecking ball on defense, ranking third in the league in steal percentage and using his 6-foot-8 wingspan, athleticism, and instincts to disrupt offenses all over the court:

Reserve lineups featuring Melton alongside steady-as-he-goes point guard Tyus Jones and almost-unbelievably-efficient rookie big man Brandon Clarke have been flying up the floor, averaging just under 106 possessions per 48 minutes, way ahead of the league’s fastest pace. They’re also absolutely pasting people, outscoring the opposition by a staggering 29.3 points per 100 possessions—fifth best of any trio in the league that’s shared the court for at least 100 minutes. Between those go-go bench units and a starting five (Morant, Jackson, Jonas Valanciunas, Jae Crowder, and Dillon Brooks) who have been lights-out offensively for more than a month, Memphis is finding balance and winning games while continuing to foster the development of the young pieces charged with leading the franchise into the future. One of the most fun and best development stories in the league.
The Ringer
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#23 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:59 pm

When I was poking around Morant being in the rarified air of the 50/40/90 club. I found out no player ever has averaged 60/40/80.

I had just recently posted Jonas stats in a game thread so I knew he was close with 60/43/77

What I didn't know is that Clarke is averaging 63/40/80

It's quite possible Memphis could have 2 players accomplish in one season what no other NBA player has, ever.

Clarke 8.2 APG (19.7% usage)
Jonas 10.6 APG (22.5% usage)

These 2 efficient big men combine to average 27.5 pts / 15.7 rebs / 3.5 assists on 18 shots a game.

It helps that 3J is spacing the floor shooting 41% from 3 on nearly 7 APG.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:30 pm

Beast!!!

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 6, 2020 2:18 am

I absolutely LOVE what your front office is doing!!!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#26 » by E S V L » Thu Feb 6, 2020 3:09 pm

The Pelicans have a better roster and overall talent.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#27 » by VCfor3 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:42 pm

E S V L wrote:The Pelicans have a better roster and overall talent.

Yes but we are still one of the best even if we aren't quite the best.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#28 » by E S V L » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:59 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:The Pelicans have a better roster and overall talent.

Yes but we are still one of the best even if we aren't quite the best.

I would even argue that our future is the brightest in this league.
FK NFL
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:08 am

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#30 » by Whole Truth » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:08 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

Not to say Memphis young players aren't good but OKC had the top end talent with 3 MVP caliber players, where both Jaren & Clarke are efficient defensive big men with offensive potential. Memphis strength, is they have no holes, better depth & play as a team, not talented individuals like OKC. Westbrook & Durant even have a meme on who takes the shot.

You can see Tays influence on this roster that has character, unity & strength in numbers. I'd liken them more to the championship Pistons, where they got solid play from everyone & on any given night..., chemistry, both on & off court.

IMO, that team unity is more dangerous than a bunch of talented players, playing as individuals.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:18 pm

Between development by Melton and emergence of Des Bane, I still love the collection of young players for Memphis more than any other teams'.

Read on Twitter
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#32 » by wiff » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:12 pm

Former Seattle Supersonic fan here. Boy I just wrote a book about how much I love your team and it got erased.

Since the Sonics left I’ve turned my basketball attention fully to the Gonzaga Bulldogs. Boy I love me some Brandon Clarke. I knew he was going to blow up for you guys. However I can’t believe how much better he got in a year from when he was at Gonzaga. He can put it on the deck now and shoot from 3. Unreal improvement from an surreal athlete.

And then the Grizz go and sign Killian Tillie to a two way deal. I think that kid has a chance to be a real contributor to you guys maybe even this year. 3 years ago he would have been a lottery pick. He went 14-15 from 3 in the WCC tournament. He makes the right pass. Has hops, can protect the rim a bit. “If” and it’s a pretty big “if”, but if he can stay healthy you guys got yourself an absolute steal. He was really the straw the stirred the drink for the Zags. With how the NBA is with ball movement and stretching the floor I feel he can really be an asset for you guys.

Best of luck on the season. You guys are going to win a playoff series this year. Book it.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#33 » by VCfor3 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:21 pm

wiff wrote:Former Seattle Supersonic fan here. Boy I just wrote a book about how much I love your team and it got erased.

Since the Sonics left I’ve turned my basketball attention fully to the Gonzaga Bulldogs. Boy I love me some Brandon Clarke. I knew he was going to blow up for you guys. However I can’t believe how much better he got in a year from when he was at Gonzaga. He can put it on the deck now and shoot from 3. Unreal improvement from an surreal athlete.

And then the Grizz go and sign Killian Tillie to a two way deal. I think that kid has a chance to be a real contributor to you guys maybe even this year. 3 years ago he would have been a lottery pick. He went 14-15 from 3 in the WCC tournament. He makes the right pass. Has hops, can protect the rim a bit. “If” and it’s a pretty big “if”, but if he can stay healthy you guys got yourself an absolute steal. He was really the straw the stirred the drink for the Zags. With how the NBA is with ball movement and stretching the floor I feel he can really be an asset for you guys.

Best of luck on the season. You guys are going to win a playoff series this year. Book it.

I love Clarke and the flyer on Tillie, but man Clarke's new shooting form is gross. Still love the guy and think it will get figured out though. He also is coming back from whatever held him out the start of preseason and it has shown, but the shot still worries me a little.
Read on Twitter
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#34 » by wiff » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:33 pm

He’ll figure it out. His stroke was broken before he came to the Zags. He sat out a year and they rebuilt his stroke. Seemed like last year he figured it out. It is concerning but I think the kid will work on it until it’s respectable.

But I can’t argue a broken stroke doesn’t really build confidence.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#35 » by SD2042 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:26 am

wiff wrote:He’ll figure it out. His stroke was broken before he came to the Zags. He sat out a year and they rebuilt his stroke. Seemed like last year he figured it out. It is concerning but I think the kid will work on it until it’s respectable.

But I can’t argue a broken stroke doesn’t really build confidence.

That jumper needs more tuning. He needs to relax and follow his stroke with ease and technique. That will help make a difference.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:59 am

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#37 » by VCfor3 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:56 am

psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#38 » by psman2 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:17 pm

With Edwards and Oturu waived, who gets that last roster spot? I am guessing Culver is safe, and it comes down to Dunn versus Merrill. I would like to keep Dunn incase we need his salary in a trade and maybe he can have a bounce back season. But I think we keep Merrill here.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#39 » by VCfor3 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:50 am

psman2 wrote:With Edwards and Oturu waived, who gets that last roster spot? I am guessing Culver is safe, and it comes down to Dunn versus Merrill. I would like to keep Dunn incase we need his salary in a trade and maybe he can have a bounce back season. But I think we keep Merrill here.

I completely agree with you here. I think Culver is the easy choice and that the real decision is between Dunn and Merrill. Given the past reported love for Merrill and our love of shooting I think Merrill is the pick, but I would personally prefer Dunn. Good salary number for potential trades, higher ceiling though not quite a long term fit for us, and could be a 3rd string PG though a Melton+Bane+Anderson lineup likely doesn't need a true PG.

I think we are stuck with the dead Edwards salary, but I could see someone grabbing Oturu off waivers. If not maybe someone signs him to a two year non-guaranteed deal. Either way I think he will be on a roster this year and honestly thought we had a decent chance to trade him away this offseason for free.

I like Pons and Tillie as our two-way guys. Tillie can handle light minutes if needed and Pons is worth a good look.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#40 » by MemphisX » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:47 am

psman2 wrote:With Edwards and Oturu waived, who gets that last roster spot? I am guessing Culver is safe, and it comes down to Dunn versus Merrill. I would like to keep Dunn incase we need his salary in a trade and maybe he can have a bounce back season. But I think we keep Merrill here.

I would think Dunn is safe. I hope they cut Merrill. He can hopefully be picked back up cheaply. Dunn/Culver provide good salary for a trade if needed especially when combined with Tyus.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g

Return to Memphis Grizzlies