Why do we keep hearing this BS about "Fit?"

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Re: Why do we keep hearing this BS about 

Post#101 » by Tom White » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:09 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Then post PG trade we said it's going to be his team, but then not really turns out it's Vic's team

I'm not sure who the "we" are you're referring to, but I've not seen anything from Myles to indicate any team could be "his" team. That's not really a knock, because very few players have what it takes for a team to become "theirs". Heck, PG didn't have it either.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#102 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:43 pm

Tom White wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Then post PG trade we said it's going to be his team, but then not really turns out it's Vic's team

I'm not sure who the "we" are you're referring to, but I've not seen anything from Myles to indicate any team could be "his" team. That's not really a knock, because very few players have what it takes for a team to become "theirs". Heck, PG didn't have it either.

Pritchard and the front office were saying it the whole summer after PG’s trade.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#103 » by Tom White » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pritchard and the front office were saying it the whole summer after PG’s trade.

OK. I wasn't sure if he meant "we" as in the people on this forum, or "we" meaning the Pacers team, or......
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:13 am

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

OK. I wasn't sure if he meant "we" as in the people on this forum, or "we" meaning the Pacers team, or......

Yeah, the organization as a whole was saying it. Even made Myles the focus of ticket sales ads that summer.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#105 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:24 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yeah, the organization as a whole was saying it. Even made Myles the focus of ticket sales ads that summer.

I think the team expected Turner to bulk up and become a better rebounder. Kinda like a young Dwight Howard with a 3point shot. Turner may never become a great rebounder, but it he can shoot the 3 at 38% and block 2.5 shots per game, I think Dom will dominate rebounding.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#106 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:14 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

I think the team expected Turner to bulk up and become a better rebounder. Kinda like a young Dwight Howard with a 3point shot. Turner may never become a great rebounder, but it he can shoot the 3 at 38% and block 2.5 shots per game, I think Dom will dominate rebounding.

I think it was more that Vic just came into that season like a rocket and took Myles’ “mantle” (through no fault of his own) immediately with game winners and his “My City” ferocity.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#107 » by Tom White » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
I think it was more that Vic just came into that season like a rocket and took Myles’ “mantle” (through no fault of his own) immediately with game winners and his “My City” ferocity.

That shows why teams should never try to "anoint" a leader. The players (or a player) will make that determination on the floor and in the locker room. Victor grabbed that in ways no one else on the team could possibly have done.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Re: Why do we keep hearing this BS about "Fit?" 

Post#108 » by boomershadow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm

It's not really that weird that they made him the face of the franchise at that time. He was by far the most noticeable and marketable young guy on a team that had just traded its best player. Oladipo and Sabonis were strangers and unknowns at that point. We could only hope then that they would become as good as they are now.

They also didn't know the fanbase would grow an irrational group of Turner haters.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:44 pm

boomershadow wrote:It's not really that weird that they made him the face of the franchise at that time. He was by far the most noticeable and marketable young guy on a team that had just traded its best player. Oladipo and Sabonis were strangers and unknowns at that point. We could only hope then that they would become as good as they are now.

They also didn't know the fanbase would grow an irrational group of Turner haters.

Yup. Vic and Dom were simply unknowns of how they’d turn out here after a lackluster season in OKC. Myles was the best and most exciting returning Pacer. It is what it is.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#110 » by Tom White » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:51 pm

boomershadow wrote:They also didn't know the fanbase would grow an irrational group of Turner haters.

If you are referencing my posts in this thread, then I think you have mis-read them. I'm not a Turner hater. Sure, his play has disappointed me at times, the same as he has impressed me at times.

What I'm talking about is that Turner doesn't have the personality or mindset to be a "Follow me guys, I got this, let's get this done right now!" sort of leader. He isn't going to put the team on his back and take over the game, or give them a "rally 'round the flag, boys" attitude. Victor has that sort of capacity, as does Brogdon. Brogdon does it in a less flamboyant manner though still effective with it.

I also made note that my comments were not a knock on Turner, and pointed out that even PG didn't have those sorts of leadership traits.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 pm

Tom White wrote:
boomershadow wrote:They also didn't know the fanbase would grow an irrational group of Turner haters.

If you are referencing my posts in this thread, then I think you have mis-read them. I'm not a Turner hater. Sure, his play has disappointed me at times, the same as he has impressed me at times.

What I'm talking about is that Turner doesn't have the personality or mindset to be a "Follow me guys, I got this, let's get this done right now!" sort of leader. He isn't going to put the team on his back and take over the game, or give them a "rally 'round the flag, boys" attitude. Victor has that sort of capacity, as does Brogdon. Brogdon does it in a less flamboyant manner though still effective with it.

I also made note that my comments were not a knock on Turner, and pointed out that even PG didn't have those sorts of leadership traits.

No. It’s not really on this forum, but go on Twitter or Reddit and it’s all over there. It’s a very divided “internet fan base” on Turner. Some expected him to be Embiid, but healthy, and despise him for anything less.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#112 » by boomershadow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:16 pm

Tom White wrote:

I wasn't referencing anyone on here or anyone in particular. The hate is real though. It got so bad it made Turner take a social media break.

Reddit is like the toilet bowl of the internet.
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#113 » by Darknemo2000 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

I think turner should still help more specially with those long rebounds that Sabonis cannot reach on time.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#114 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 pm

Darknemo2000 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I think turner should still help more specially with those long rebounds that Sabonis cannot reach on time.

Yeah he averages 6 per game, but I know he needs to get stronger, guys like Drummond, Val, and Embiid push him around pretty easily. But we do like him for what he does shooting and blocks. My numbers were a bit high from where he is right now on those stats, but I look for all that to get better once Victor Oladipo is back to at least 80%.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#115 » by Topofthekey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:10 pm

On a somewhat related issue, I see Goga becoming a starting caliber player in maybe 2 or 3 year's time

When that happens, that's when the team's going to have a "problem" on its hands - three starter quality centers? How is that going to work?

Either Goga has to be content being a backup for most of his career (seeing how Myles and Domas are quite young themselves, so they aren't stepping down anytime soon), or a solution has to be found via a trade

Of course, it's still a few years away, so they can toss it on the back burner for now, but it's an interesting scenario to think about
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#116 » by Pacersike » Thu Feb 6, 2020 2:50 am

https://www.indycornrows.com/2020/1/24/21076999/on-the-pacers-closing-games-without-a-closing-lineup

Thought this was interesting concerning fit.

IMO We have a better chance to succeed if we can find our death lineup and just play focusing on our strengths, not the opponents.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#117 » by Pacersike » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:53 pm

https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/sabonis-turner-looking-resume-productive-partnership

This season, in 1,069 minutes together, they have produced a 2.1 scoring advantage per 100 possessions. That's a slight drop-off from last season, but it was improving rapidly. In the eight-wins-in-11 games stretch that closed the pre-lockdown phase of the season, they were +4.7. And in the final three games they were +11.2.

Turner was playing better right before pre-corona, so obviously the fit looks suddenly better too.

If I were Mark, I would leave out all conclusions for only three games though. Corona has hit us all, emotions need to be expressed.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#118 » by boomershadow » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:45 am

Turner was looking darn good before everything stopped.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#119 » by Pacersike » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:08 pm

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/07/16/film-study-sabonis-turner-pairing-pacers

Another, great in depth analysis (an ocean of time this guy seems to have :lol: )

If Turner and/or Sabo can become high 0.3 ish 3 point shooters, there is a small shot it will be good enough.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#120 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 pm

Going to hijack this thread for a bit

Jeremy Lamb's already running on court it seems, so looks like his rehab is coming along nicely

That's good to hear, hopefully he makes a complete recovery and rejoins the team for the 20-21 season

Going to leave the YouTube link here

Return to Indiana Pacers