Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,280

Re: Welcome Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III 

Post#121 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:47 pm

eagereyez wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Ideally, shouldn't one of these two guys be in the starting lineup instead of Horford?

Absolutely either one of them or Korkmaz. I think Burks should be our bench scorer, so I'd go with Robinson or Korkmaz.

This only happens if the Sixers are willing to bench Horford. I hope it happens, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

If Ibaka could swallow his pride and come off the bench then Horford has no excuse, especially since Ibaka did it for a first year coach.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#122 » by AI_Efficiency » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:51 pm

Arsenal wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:
eagereyez wrote:This only happens if the Sixers are willing to bench Horford. I hope it happens, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Yea, I don't think he'll get benched this season, but I foresee his minutes going down in the playoffs. Brett will hopefully do what he has to with his job on the line.

Don't understand the hesitation. Horford can STILL get 30 mpg during the regular season while never playing a single minute with both Embiid and Simmons at the same time. His numbers may improve because he'll get to handle the ball in the low/high post when he's on the floor, instead of standing at the 3 point line as a miscast spacer.

Only ego and cowardice would prevent this obvious move.

Agree with the ego and cowardice part, but I think that is what will stop it. And its two-fold, one with Horford likely not wanting to go to the bench, although I'm speculating. But also I'm sure there is pressure from Brand and management to make it work since the optics of our big FA signing being a bench player aren't great. That is dumb and I hate it, but I'm sure that is what is going on. I can't believe that Brett isn't keenly aware with the problems of playing Horford, Embiid and Ben together, especially when Josh and Tobias haven't exactly been lighting it up from the outside.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#123 » by Arsenal » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:52 pm

AI_Efficiency wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:Yea, I don't think he'll get benched this season, but I foresee his minutes going down in the playoffs. Brett will hopefully do what he has to with his job on the line.

Don't understand the hesitation. Horford can STILL get 30 mpg during the regular season while never playing a single minute with both Embiid and Simmons at the same time. His numbers may improve because he'll get to handle the ball in the low/high post when he's on the floor, instead of standing at the 3 point line as a miscast spacer.

Only ego and cowardice would prevent this obvious move.

Agree with the ego and cowardice part, but I think that is what will stop it. And its two-fold, one with Horford likely not wanting to go to the bench, although I'm speculating. But also I'm sure there is pressure from Brand and management to make it work since the optics of our big FA signing being a bench player aren't great. That is dumb and I hate it, but I'm sure that is what is going on. I can't believe that Brett isn't keenly aware with the problems of playing Horford, Embiid and Ben together, especially when Josh and Tobias haven't exactly been lighting it up from the outside.

There's no way Brett doesn't know. He may also be hesitant if he supported the move to bring in Horford, as it would make him look bad along with the front office.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#124 » by Kobblehead » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:53 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:Let's say DAL, DEN, TOR's regular season records stay the same for the next few years, the picks that we've traded away are 50th pick (DAL), 55th pick (DEN) and 58th pick (TOR). I dont think we should be worried abour losing these picks. We dont have roster spots for these picks, they will be just two way contracts, stashed players that we will never hear again or just plainly sold for cash.

Or what if....

we were able to package 50, 55, 58 to move up to 39 and get a Khris Middleton or 40 and get a Will Barton?

or

we were able to package 50, 55, 58 to move up to 38 and get a Spencer Dinwiddie or 41 and get a Nikola Jokic or 46 and get a Jordan Clarson?

or

we were able to package 50, 55, 58 to move up to 40 and get a Josh Richardson?

or

we were able to package 50, 55, 58 to move up to 45 and get a Dillon Brooks?

or

we were able to package 50, 55, 58 to move up to 41 to get a Eric Paschall?

Don't diminish the value of 2nd rounders, keep an open mind to their potential value. There's always a possibility that you're able to scout a player everyone else missed on and you want ammunition to go up and get that guy.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#125 » by PhillyFan11 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 7:26 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:Let's say DAL, DEN, TOR's regular season records stay the same for the next few years, the picks that we've traded away are 50th pick (DAL), 55th pick (DEN) and 58th pick (TOR). I dont think we should be worried abour losing these picks. We dont have roster spots for these picks, they will be just two way contracts, stashed players that we will never hear again or just plainly sold for cash.

Or what if....

we were able to package 50, 55, 58 to move up to 39 and get a Khris Middleton or 40 and get a Will Barton?

or

we were able to package 50, 55, 58 to move up to 38 and get a Spencer Dinwiddie or 41 and get a Nikola Jokic or 46 and get a Jordan Clarson?

or

or

or

Don't diminish the value of 2nd rounders, keep an open mind to their potential value. There's always a possibility that you're able to scout a player everyone else missed on and you want ammunition to go up and get that guy.

Now post all of the 2nd rounders that don’t ever become anything...it’s fun to cherry pick random guys that were successful after the fact. Not to mention we have higher 2nd round picks in all of these drafts. If there are these guys we scouted and love we can just draft them...

The time to bitch was the off season when the front office screwed things up and painted themselves in a corner salary cap wise. Anyone bitching now is just bitching for the sake of bitching
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#126 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:32 pm

No need to bitch about getting a good 2nd rounder, we already have one in Shayok.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
phillybird
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#127 » by phillybird » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:37 pm

Does Alec Burks takeover backup PG duties now?
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#128 » by agiaco » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:09 pm

BullyKing wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Only because you continue to avoid the absurdity of your position. If Burks gets hot and wins us a single game, he will have provided more value than the expected combined value of all of those picks. You continue to think the trade was three future long term contributors for guys who will leave at the end of the season.

Point out where I said that. I'll wait.

Then what is your point? That trading 3 3% chances of landing a rotation player is something to be distraught about?

You're one post away from 10k :)
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,387

Post#129 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:28 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

Or what if....

or

or

or

or

Yeah this isn’t it, wayyyy more 2nd rounders don’t amount to anything. It’s a crap shoot nothing but luck of the draw in the 2nd round and that’s why they don’t have much value.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,387

Post#130 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:29 pm

I’ve always liked Alec Burks, he’s a decent shooter and he gets to the line at a good rate. If he can stay healthy he can make a decent impact.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#131 » by Skates » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:39 pm

After cutting Burke do they cut KOQ at some point to convert Pelle to a full contract. Like Ennis and Burke for some reason KOQ has fallen out of the rotation completely and Pelle can’t play any more NBA games on his 2 way this year. I thought we might clear an extra spot for Pelle at the deadline, not take in more than we sent out.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#132 » by the_process » Thu Feb 6, 2020 10:27 pm

I do not like cutting Burke over Neto, Bolden, or KOQ. Just like the third 2nd to GSW that was unnecessary.

Granted, neither of those by themselves is that important, and Burks may even help them if he stays healthy... but paper cuts.
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#133 » by Aussiepiston1 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:44 pm

We just got a 2nd for Ennis no one is talking about that so it’s a wash trade of Ennis for GR3.
In my opinion and I think the stats support that GR3 is playing a lot better this year and is a few years younger.
Burks cost us Burke and 2 late 2nds that we can easily buy just as we easily sold them on draft to pick these star players kobblehead is harping on about so what’s all this bickering???
I’m sick to my stomach with the way this team plays at times, the coaching of Brett and the moves that brand makes but not this time.
I’ve got a good feeling these guys will have way better production than Ennis and Burke ever did.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#134 » by HotelVitale » Fri Feb 7, 2020 1:00 am

Kobblehead wrote:Golden State played us so hard. They signed a pair of guys to vet minimums this summer. Then pumped the hell out of their stats on a tanking squad and then moved them at the deadline for 3 second rounders. We're absolutely the suckers in this scenario.

If some dude on the street spends two weeks hoarding something I want, then sells them to me for like 4 bucks, sure he made something from nothing but I'm not gonna feel like a sucker cuz I'm not broke and that 4 bucks is nothing to me. Good deal for him, and I'm happy with my cheap haul.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#135 » by FlyingArrow » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:43 am

What did we do to make room for these two players?
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#136 » by eagereyez » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:28 am

the_process wrote:I do not like cutting Burke over Neto, Bolden, or KOQ. Just like the third 2nd to GSW that was unnecessary.

Granted, neither of those by themselves is that important, and Burks may even help them if he stays healthy... but paper cuts.

They add up.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#137 » by Arsenal » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:30 am

FlyingArrow wrote:What did we do to make room for these two players?

Cut Burke and traded away Ennis.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#138 » by the_process » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:47 am

eagereyez wrote:
the_process wrote:I do not like cutting Burke over Neto, Bolden, or KOQ. Just like the third 2nd to GSW that was unnecessary.

They add up.

Death by a thousand and all.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#139 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:18 am

Kork doesnt have a good chemistry with Biid.

Josh has it on his good days.

I think we’re about to have another “the apprentice” type audition with Burks.

I expect Burks to play off the bench with Embiid. Just watch.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#140 » by brannigan73 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:06 am

If they shoot like they did in Golden State these two will help a bit. Totally different situation here though then playing on bad team with no expectations like they have this year.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers