Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by TheStig » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:12 am

Read on Twitter

Not really a surprise with this dumpster fire. Let the defections begin.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,793

Re: Rumor: Lauri wants out. 

Post#2 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:13 am

This has already been posted in the existing Lauri thread. Happy to leave it open if people want to discuss this specifically regarding Lauri though.
Why so serious?
micromonkey
Starter
And1: 627

Post#3 » by micromonkey » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:40 am

Given the avatar of the admin here I couldn't help but think
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,509

Post#4 » by panthermark » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:44 am

Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Clocian
RealGM
And1: 2,574

Post#5 » by Clocian » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:47 am

He'll be a restricted fa in 2021. In other words he won't be going anywhere unless bulls want to trade him (which they should the moment his value rises).

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Damn I love Hip Hop!
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,133

Post#6 » by HomoSapien » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:59 am

I'd keep this open. It's buried in the other one. Paxson addressed it too.

“We view him as a cornerstone player. It's our responsibility to help him become the type of player we believe we can be,” Paxson said. “We've had direct communication with him, with his agent. We've never been told Lauri doesn’t want to be here. It's obvious that he's not had the type of year in terms of shot attempts that he's had in the past. We communicate that. Jim and I talk about it. Our staff talks about it, so we don't just ignore those things and we've addressed them with Lauri and his [agent].

“Our responsibility is to put our players in a position to succeed and get better. And we're going to have an opportunity when Lauri gets healthy.”
Markkanen is eligible for a rookie extension this offseason, and the Bulls own his rights through restricted free agency in 2021 if an extension isn’t reached. A source close to Markkanen called talk of Markkanen wanting out “inaccurate.”

Through a team spokesperson, Markkanen declined to meet with reporters pregame. As an injured player, he has that right.
“Lauri had a very good first year, second year. We believe that's the player he is,” Paxson said. “[An extension] is down the road, but we don't have to make those decisions today.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/john-paxson-explains-why-bulls-stood-pat-trade-deadline
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#7 » by MeloRoseNoah » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:12 am

Someone tells Paxson and his boy toy Boylen suck at coaching.

Get your a$$es out of Chicago and stop being a freeloader.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#8 » by weneeda2guard » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:17 am

Personal opinion

I think lauri sent a word out through the back channels and hoped the bulls would take heed and ship him off

This information didnt come from nowhere.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,370

Post#9 » by The Box Office » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:21 am

Wow. John Paxson said, "We view him as a cornerstone player." I have to take this quote for what it is. Paxson doesn't want to lower Markkanen's value.

Lauri's PER through 46 games is 14.5. He's also consistently injured. That's a rotational player.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#10 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:45 am

Why would he want to play here? Or anyone for that matter?

News, water is wet.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Post#11 » by Evil_Headband » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:50 am

I don’t care about this until a year from now. There will be a lot of changes.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#12 » by drosereturn » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:51 am

Looks like our only hope already thinking of teaming up with Doncic to form a superteam.
Time to blow it all up and get rid of White, Carter for future picks and clean house. Brink of imploding.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 729

Post#13 » by Hold That » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:56 am

Well looks like we were right. He’s one summer time Finland trip away from demanding a trade when he’s close to his fan base telling him it’s not him, it’s chicago.

I’m not disappointed I feel numb to the the news,I think everyone saw where this was going on this board. Hopefully Pax and Lauris camp can do something similar like how the Knicks did and keep this out of public eye. We need to maximize whatever we get in a Lauri trade. Perfectly fine with a future 2022 draft pick unprotected. Send him to ORL or CHA just nobody with a projected good future in 2022.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#14 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:58 am

I want Lauri out too. I mean it could be best for all parties. Not sure what they can get for him right now though. If he was traded last year do you think he might have been able to net a guy like Ingram? Probably not the Lakers wanted a sure thing when trading him. Likely would have been able to get a Josh Richardson type.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#15 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:00 am

Showtime23 wrote:Looks like our only hope already thinking of teaming up with Doncic to form a superteam.
Time to blow it all up and get rid of White, Carter for future picks and clean house. Brink of imploding.

Kristaps doesn’t look great. Both him and Lauri don’t excite me, wouldn’t call that a super team except for the fact that anyone playing with Luka will look better than they do on the Knicks or Bulls.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Post#16 » by MrSparkle » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:05 am

Lauri could be a really, really good #4 option in the NBA.

And IMO, he knows it. And the Bulls are still gonna try to get the dude to play like a #2. And it's not gonna work, ever.

And so begins the eventual split.

I don't think he's playing "bad." He's actually a solid player who missed more open shoots than he's capable of making.

I can't even believe we're throwing him under the bus. The same exact thing just happened to Niko. Just accept that the expectations were absurd. Stars are consistent - but guys like Niko, Justin Holiday, or JJ, they might give you 25, they might give you 10.

But anyway, he makes much more sense for a team with a system and established all-stars.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Post#17 » by DuckIII » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:06 am

I mean, okay. He’s played like ass all season. If you play like crap, and then want out because you aren’t getting the shots you haven’t earned anyway, so long.

Problem I have is that his trade value is likely crap.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,150

Post#18 » by SHO'NUFF » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:07 am

This is just one man’s opinion. Why is this a thread? Hardly a rumor.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#19 » by AKfanatic » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:13 am

I can’t blame Lauri. Who among us wouldn’t want out of the sh*t show that is the Chicago Bulls?

Lauri seems completely lost as a player right now. Much of it is on him, he needs to learn how to say screw the noise and go out and play aggressively. That said, Boylen’s usage of him is absurd. Go watch any highlights where Lauri played a very good game. You’ll see him consistently pump a 3, take a couple steps toward the rim...if the defense sags, he pulls up for the midrange and nails it... this season he gets in that spot, stops and you can visibly see him think “oh I’m not allowed to shoot these” and he often gets lost trying to pass it back out.

Taking that part of his game away has hurt his drives, hurt his ability to get defenders to close on him there opening a lane for him to pass, last season often to a cutting Lavine, and it’s taken away a shot that seemed to often times really get him going. This three or lay-up crap ignores the fact that eliminating the threat of the mid-range only makes a player like Lauri predictable and easy to defend.

I’m not trying to excuse Lauri at all. For one, he really hasn’t seemed to put much work into his game and hasn’t shown the mental toughness to excel despite the coaching. he needs to ignore the BS he’s being told and play his game.... if he did that and started to look good only to have Boylen pull him, it’d put a ton of pressure on the team to do something about a coach that isn’t taking advantage of players strengths.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 729

Post#20 » by Hold That » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:15 am

DuckIII wrote:I mean, okay. He’s played like ass all season. If you play like crap, and then want out because you aren’t getting the shots you haven’t earned anyway, so long.

Problem I have is that his trade value is likely crap.

I don’t think it is. I feel like the rest of the league thinks he’s a legit player.

Remember listening to NBA Radio and Eddie Johnson was going off on how we were destroying Markannen and how he believes he’s such a good player. I think he might have the second highest trade value on this team. Wendell is always hurt and haven’t even shown enough yet to warrant anything decent at this point

Return to Chicago Bulls