ImageImage

Trade Thread

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Trade Thread 

Post#221 » by d-train » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:05 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I would much rather have Wiggins than Russell.

I don't want either of those guys for what they are paid. I like what the Warriors got because they got a good draft pick. T-Pups got a decent prospect on a rookie contract, Spellman . Also, Warriors got the most talented player in the trade, Wiggins. I don't want either Wiggins or Russell. Warriors made a bad deal this summer and ended up with Wiggins and his contract. T-Wolves made a bad deal prior to the 2017 season and it ended with Russell. I think Wolves should have pursued CP3. Maybe they did but OKC didn't want Wiggins.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#222 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:00 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I would much rather have Wiggins than Russell. For some reason I just do not like that guys game. Wiggins, get him out of Minnesota and put him on a winning team and I think he can be a positive player. Maybe he still doesn't live up to that contract but I think he can help the Warriors.

Sad to see Skal go if it doesn't get us out of the luxury tax. Perhaps he is more injured than I originally thought, but I actually liked him on the court with Whiteside, he can shoot from the high post and can be the secondary rim defender when Whiteside gets himself out of position. Kind of a poor mans Zach Collins. We are gonna need that sort of front-court depth if we make the 8th seed and have to face the Lakers and I think Skal would be more useful in that series than Swannigan.

I don't know... Wiggins is an all-time worst defender candidate. His defense is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. His offense is a net negative. I guess you could play him to some effect in a Jamal Crawford role. But I'm not sure that's a winning player in any real way.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#223 » by d-train » Fri Feb 7, 2020 1:43 pm

We have a roster opening and a nice injured player exception. However, neither will be used to bolster the team for a playoff run. At least, nothing will be done unless there is a 99.999% unlikely to happen can't pass opportunity.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#224 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:49 pm

The Blazers don't have a bad starting 5, they just have no bench that is worth a damn. Trent Jr. has been a pleasant surprise, but he's not carrying the bench at this point. Aside from him, the bench blows. Little was starting to find his shot and was connecting with Lillard on alley oops, but he's not out for a while and we have to see more of Hezonja.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#225 » by HoopsFanAZ » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:01 pm

During the Olshey-spin-the-deadline portion, he claimed that HWEC was not on the block or being shopped. It can also be true that teams weren't asking due to his $$$ and limitations. I do value the numbers he's putting up and how the Blazers (Lillard) are trying to make this work and get to the playoffs.

The two points that I'm looking to are (1) the eventual Nurkic minutes watch, back to backs, and how his body responds, and (2) no risks being taken with Collins.

With NURKIC, I'd like to see on the court -- this season -- IF HWEC and Nurkic can play together for 8-12 minutes per game. If both got 30 next season, then it's about whether playing together for 3 minutes be quarter is doable. It probably won't work against some teams at all. If their minutes are down to 28 each, then it's 8 minutes per game together. The biggest question for me is can a reduced salary Whiteside (half) and Nurkic complement each other in today's NBA (or ever)?

With COLLINS, the message is much clearer. He's a core piece moving forward. I don't expect him back this season unless the team gels with Nurkic's return AND makes a serious run to the playoffs (8th seed, maybe 7th) AND he's totally ready AND the Blazers have the Lakers' number ... or the Clippers ... or never mind. I'm betting on Collins out for the year and get him in great shape and core strength and skills.

What I LIKE is this season now becoming a testing ground for who is kept for next season.

And who will the Blazers take with their lottery pick ... top 3 pick because there are basketball gods and they love the Blazers!
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#226 » by Goldbum » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:42 pm

I know nobody wants to hear it but my prediction for next season is.
Collins returns
Nurkic returns
Whiteside resigned
Melo goes to LAL
Ariza brought back
Lotto pick added likely hybrid 4/3
Significant improvements from Ant,Trent,Little
Hoard gets a 3 year minimum type deal
Herzonja goes to Europe
Biggie gone (we have talks with Skal but he's still injured)
Vet minimum PG brought in probably Frazier if they trade CJ...
CJ on the block...
3rd in the west as a lineup of
Dame/Ant/PG
CJ/Trent/Ant
Ariza/Little/Trent/Lotto Pick
Collins/Nurkic/Hoard/Little/Lotto pick
Nurkic/Whiteside/Collins
Could use another SG with size and some defensive chops but really that's not a bad line up.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#227 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Feb 7, 2020 6:43 pm

This is somewhere between what I hope, and what I predict.

1) Melo walks to a contender, but we also don't make attempts to resign him.
2) Hezonja declines PO and returns to Europe.
3) Hood ops in to his PO.
4) Ariza has his TO exercised and returns.
5) Whiteside is resigned for 2/24M.
6) Gabriel is resigned to a minimum deal, 1 year.
7) Swanigan, Moses walk.
8) Hoard signs another Two-Way Contract

This is where the hope comes into play:

9) We sign a backup PG using a portion of the MLE. In this dream, we overpay De'Anthony Melton (RFA) and MEM lets him walk as they already have Tyus Jones and Morant. Melton gives us a ball of energy at PG who is a great defender and excellent compliment to Damian and CJ. He is young but plays a tenacious game and at 22 is similar to a poor mans Bledsoe.

10) We draft F Jalen Smith out of Maryland, a pogo stick with range who can ideally get us hustle minutes right off the bat.

11) We neglect finding a long term SF because we already have him on our team, his name is Gary Trent Jr (Don't fully agree with this, but he is playing 60% of the time at SF this year, not forcing a SF singing or pick is possible IMO).

G - Damian Lillard / De'Anthony Melton / (Anferne Simons)
G - CJ McCollum / Anferne Simons / (De'Anthony Melton)
F - Trevor Ariza / Gary Trent Jr / Nassir Little / Wenyen Gabriel
F - Zach Collins / Nassir Little / Jalen Smith / Wenyen Gabriel
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Hassan Whiteside / (Zach Collins)
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#228 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:29 pm

Goldbum wrote:I know nobody wants to hear it but my prediction for next season is.
Collins returns
Nurkic returns
Whiteside resigned
Melo goes to LAL
Ariza brought back
Lotto pick added likely hybrid 4/3
Significant improvements from Ant,Trent,Little
Hoard gets a 3 year minimum type deal
Herzonja goes to Europe
Biggie gone (we have talks with Skal but he's still injured)
Vet minimum PG brought in probably Frazier if they trade CJ...
CJ on the block...
3rd in the west as a lineup of
Dame/Ant/PG
CJ/Trent/Ant
Ariza/Little/Trent/Lotto Pick
Collins/Nurkic/Hoard/Little/Lotto pick
Nurkic/Whiteside/Collins
Could use another SG with size and some defensive chops but really that's not a bad line up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nurkic as the backup 4.... whooo boy. That's funny as ****. Going to be a long season next year I guess.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#229 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:30 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

This is somewhere between what I hope, and what I predict.

1) Melo walks to a contender, but we also don't make attempts to resign him.
2) Hezonja declines PO and returns to Europe.
3) Hood ops in to his PO.
4) Ariza has his TO exercised and returns.
5) Whiteside is resigned for 2/24M.
6) Gabriel is resigned to a minimum deal, 1 year.
7) Swanigan, Moses walk.
8) Hoard signs another Two-Way Contract

This is where the hope comes into play:

9) We sign a backup PG using a portion of the MLE. In this dream, we overpay De'Anthony Melton (RFA) and MEM lets him walk as they already have Tyus Jones and Morant. Melton gives us a ball of energy at PG who is a great defender and excellent compliment to Damian and CJ. He is young but plays a tenacious game and at 22 is similar to a poor mans Bledsoe.

10) We draft F Jalen Smith out of Maryland, a pogo stick with range who can ideally get us hustle minutes right off the bat.

11) We neglect finding a long term SF because we already have him on our team, his name is Gary Trent Jr (Don't fully agree with this, but he is playing 60% of the time at SF this year, not forcing a SF singing or pick is possible IMO).

G - Damian Lillard / De'Anthony Melton / (Anferne Simons)
G - CJ McCollum / Anferne Simons / (De'Anthony Melton)
F - Trevor Ariza / Gary Trent Jr / Nassir Little / Wenyen Gabriel
F - Zach Collins / Nassir Little / Jalen Smith / Wenyen Gabriel
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Hassan Whiteside / (Zach Collins)

Signing Whiteside for more than 1 year would be a MAJOR mistake.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#230 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:32 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:The Blazers don't have a bad starting 5, they just have no bench that is worth a damn. Trent Jr. has been a pleasant surprise, but he's not carrying the bench at this point. Aside from him, the bench blows. Little was starting to find his shot and was connecting with Lillard on alley oops, but he's not out for a while and we have to see more of Hezonja.

The starting 5 has been a mess defensively as well though. Starting 5 keeps games close because Lillard is one of the best scorers in the league. But the starters aren't great either. Ariza and Melo are definitely backups at this point. Whiteside is probably best as a backup or situational starter depending on matchups. Whiteside is a platoon starter at best.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#231 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:41 pm

Signing Whiteside for more than 1 year would be a MAJOR mistake.

Ideally it would be a 1 year deal w/ the second a TO.

The reality is we kept Hassan and now have very few better options on building a better team outside resigning him. We are not finding a MLE level SF that is better than Ariza, splitting the MLE between a backup PG and backup C will almost certainly net two players that even when looking at combined contribution, don't bring the on court impact of Hassan.

We don't have many avenues to improve. Now that he wasn't traded, we must keep Hassan. There really isn't any other way about it. Should he walk we are looking at having to use the MLE on guys like Tristan Thompson, Ian Mahinmi, Biyombo. If we manage to sign Whiteside, we could still have the entire MLE to use on some veteran depth (PG: Augustin? Yogi? MCW? Napier? Muiday? GP2? SF: Josh Jackson? Solomon? Hark?).

There is no player we can snag w/ the MLE that will bring 75% of the on court impact that Hassan does. I wanted to move him for some pie in the sky deal (RoCo!! Hayward!! etc) but the market wasn't there.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#232 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:50 pm

Ariza and Melo are definitely backups at this point

I don't really see many avenues to snag a better starting SF than Ariza at this point. The FA market for SF is absolutely putrid. I suppose you could throw the full MLE at someone like Crowder, but I don't believe he is better than Ariza.

A buy low on Josh Jackson could reap rewards, but having both Josh and Hassan on this roster next season may be playing with fire a bit.

The best move may be to force feed Little the backup SF minutes in the hopes that he becomes a OG Anunoby caliber player sooner than later. We should be doing this right now but for that injury, and the coaches insistence to play him inconsistent minutes.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#233 » by red_power » Fri Feb 7, 2020 8:40 pm

Oden2 wrote:Skal was a good rotation player, thought we did better with him than skal on the floor than Hasan. Oh well, hopefully a hasan dump coming before 12

I can’t blame the blazers, I don’t think Skal is the difference between the 8 seed and missing the playoffs and Memphis got better today so they might beat us out anyhow

Hassan and Swanigan can make some presence on a court right now while Skal is injured and his return date in pretty much up in the air.

Frankly, that was the only reason to prefer having dude like Caleb on your roster rather than Skal :noway:
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#234 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Feb 7, 2020 10:03 pm

if im not mistaken, neil olshey tried to re-sign kanter, but when he failed, he re-signed hood

i would consider re-signing whiteside under next conditions:

- accept to be a backup to nurk
- not more than $10 mil per year (he cant be paid more than nurk)

but if he accepts what i wrote above and if he gives effort, wed be in for a treat
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#235 » by PDXKnight » Fri Feb 7, 2020 10:18 pm

red_power wrote:
Oden2 wrote:Skal was a good rotation player, thought we did better with him than skal on the floor than Hasan. Oh well, hopefully a hasan dump coming before 12

I can’t blame the blazers, I don’t think Skal is the difference between the 8 seed and missing the playoffs and Memphis got better today so they might beat us out anyhow

Hassan and Swanigan can make some presence on a court right now while Skal is injured and his return date in pretty much up in the air.

Frankly, that was the only reason to prefer having dude like Caleb on your roster rather than Skal :noway:

We don’t know if Atlanta wanted swanigan. And the Sacramento deal was for ariza, Caleb was a toss in I’d guess
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#236 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Feb 7, 2020 10:19 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:if im not mistaken, neil olshey tried to re-sign kanter, but when he failed, he re-signed hood

i would consider re-signing whiteside under next conditions:

- accept to be a backup to nurk
- not more than $10 mil per year (he cant be paid more than nurk)

but if he accepts what i wrote above and if he gives effort, wed be in for a treat

The Blazers really shouldn't be giving him more than 1 year either. If they give Whiteside a 1 year deal, they'll most likely be able to use the full MLE this offseason AND next offseason. If they sign Whiteside for longer, they probably won't get the MLE the following year unless they let Trent and Collins walk. I'd be okay giving Whiteside 1 year $12M.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#237 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Feb 7, 2020 10:40 pm

i wouldnt give him 4 year contract for sure, but two year with second year being team option, why not

we looked good with nurk & turk, it would be the same with nurk & whiteside

i will take a guess, this sounds like a compromise: 3/30-34 (3rd year being team option)
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#238 » by zzaj » Fri Feb 7, 2020 11:49 pm

For those who think Nurkic and Whiteside will work together...

1) On their last teams, both of those players tried to force their respective team's hand to trade them because they weren't starting. Sure, Nurk and Turk looked good for a month. Kanter also knew coming in that he'd be coming off the bench. Whiteside came in specifically as a starter. Nurkic came in expecting to start. Neither is going to be happy coming off the bench.

2) When was the last time a "twin towers" lineup that featured two Centers worked consistently? I think trying to put both Nurkic and Whiteside out on the floor together would be a disaster. Any opposing team would have wide open perimeter looks at two positions, and if the Blazer Cs tried to play out on them, both would quickly get in foul trouble...and that's just on defense.

Unless Nurkic has added an elite and consistent 3pt shot to his arsenal while injured, having two Cs clogging the middle would destroy half of what Lillard is good at and all that CJ is good at on offense.

Playing Nurkic and Whiteside together would literally destroy anything positive that comes out of the Stotts offense and would only compound the problems that the team has defensively.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 851

Post#239 » by Epicurus » Sat Feb 8, 2020 12:09 am

1. Stotts used together Magloire and Bogut as starters. Wasn't a great outcome, but not as disasterous as some may predict. Mike Redd with distant shooting and drives performed quite well. Actually Nurk and Whiteside have more offensive abilities than those Bucks of that time.
2. Circumstances for both Whiteside and Nurk are different than their respective last years on other teams. While the past may suggest possible outcomes, it doesn't predict that well, unless comparative settings are examined well. This seems more true when youngsters mature socially.
3. I prefer much to see them in tandem, rather than together on the court. Also is 24 minutes per game really that much more significant than 28 minutes or whatever both have averaged.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#240 » by Roy The Natural » Sat Feb 8, 2020 5:52 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:i wouldnt give him 4 year contract for sure, but two year with second year being team option, why not

we looked good with nurk & turk, it would be the same with nurk & whiteside

i will take a guess, this sounds like a compromise: 3/30-34 (3rd year being team option)

I'm okay with this. I just think its a REALLY bad idea to go for more than 1 year for multiple reasons.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers