ImageImageImage

Welcome Al Horford(?!?)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#261 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:18 am

Bucks is the king of the east. To make it to the finals, you have to prepare your roster to beat them in a 7 game series.

If we didnt add Al, then if Biid defends Giannis, who defends BroLo?

Ben? Tobi?

Not just at the post, but even on ORebs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#262 » by Arsenal » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:01 am

76ciology wrote:Bucks is the king of the east. To make it to the finals, you have to prepare your roster to beat them in a 7 game series.

Ben? Tobi?

Yeah he was fantastic defending Giannis tonight, who only had 36 pts, 20 rebs, and 5 assists.

The Giannis Stopper. :lol:
76ciology
RealGM

Post#263 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:15 am

Arsenal wrote:
76ciology wrote:Bucks is the king of the east. To make it to the finals, you have to prepare your roster to beat them in a 7 game series.

Ben? Tobi?

Yeah he was fantastic defending Giannis tonight, who only had 36 pts, 20 rebs, and 5 assists.

Biid has more responsibility in defending giannis than Al.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#264 » by Arsenal » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:17 am

76ciology wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Ben? Tobi?

The point is Giannis can get 36/20/5 whether we have Horford or not. Meanwhile Horford has absolutely torpedoed our offense when playing with Simmons and Embiid. We aren't going to make it to the Bucks the way things are going.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#265 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:24 am

Arsenal wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

The point is Giannis can get 36/20/5 whether we have Horford or not. Meanwhile Horford has absolutely torpedoed our offense when playing with Simmons and Embiid. We aren't going to make it to the Bucks the way things are going.

It’s as good as it gets in defending Giannis. We got the two best centers in the league that can defend Giannis.

And like I said, you can’t put a non C type player next to Embiid in playing against the Bucks because you have to put him at probably the third tallest player in the league in BroLo. While you also need a center who can stay in front of Giannis. Al is not going to stop Giannis, but it’s as good as it gets. The alternative is going back to the 2013 draft and not passing him up with two lottery picks that ended up to be future CBA players.

While Al spacing the floor and making 5 3s is almost as good as it gets in complimenting Biid and Ben.

Tobi and Al were good most of the game.
Biid was really bad most of the game except for that 4 minute spurt.
While Ben did a good job slashing and kicking out to the shooters that allowed us to make 19 3s on 41%.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#266 » by youngcrev » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:32 am

What's it matter if you can slow them down offensively if you can't score enough points to win? Hell, what's it matter if you aren't going to make it deep enough into the playoffs in the first place?
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#267 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:35 am

youngcrev wrote:What's it matter if you can slow them down offensively if you can't score enough points to win? Hell, what's it matter if you aren't going to make it deep enough into the playoffs in the first place?
Exactly. Its all irrelevant. The pieces don't fit and our roster designed to take down Milwaukee won't make it deep enough to even play Milwaukee.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#268 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:47 pm

Read on Twitter

This is actually pretty funny/sad.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#269 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:36 am

Ben? Tobi?

Listen to JJ’s podcast with Bodner on Sixers beat, i think it was released a day ago.

JJ pretty much talked about how Sixers wanted to add size to match-up with the frontcourt of the Bucks and Raps.

Exact same reason i’ve been saying.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#270 » by Kobblehead » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Didn't we already have size, though?

Redick was the smallest guy on the court at 6'4"-6'5". Butler is huge. Simmons is huge. Harris is huge. Embiid is a mammoth.

I don't get why they put such a priority on size. Should have put a priority on ball handling so we can actually score in the halfcourt. That's what has killed us in playoff losses to the Celtics and Raptors in the past couple of years.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#271 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:29 pm

I'm a little baffled by our drive to from big to "mega big." We had legit size, we were right there competing at the highest level.

Our lack of shot creation and secondary ball handling was exposed last year, which is why we were collectively clamoring for Trey f'n Burke to get signed last summer.

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#272 » by Sixerscan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:06 pm

I think the factors were:

- Butler wasn't coming back (for a variety of reasons)
- They had one summer to use cap space before Simmons' extension kicked in
- They thought Horford was the best guy available to them
- He played a fair amount of 4 in Boston/he wanted to play more 4 and figured he could do that a decent amount here for at least the beginning of the contract.
- They thought Embiid played too many minutes during the regular season last year due to a lack of a viable backup
- They saw how the team absolutely fell apart in the Raptors series when Embiid rested (despite having, among other people, Butler and Redick on the court).

As I said in the second post of this thread within minutes of learning about the signing, Horford should be getting brought off the bench. That being said, I don't think it's out of the question that he and Embiid can figure out how to play together in some lineups. If the season ever gets resumed, it would be great to see when Ben is out of the game if they can do something along the lines of Shake and Jrich along with Robinson or Korkmaz around those two for stretches.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#273 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:16 am

Kobblehead wrote:Didn't we already have size, though?

Redick was the smallest guy on the court at 6'4"-6'5". Butler is huge. Simmons is huge. Harris is huge. Embiid is a mammoth.

I don't get why they put such a priority on size. Should have put a priority on ball handling so we can actually score in the halfcourt. That's what has killed us in playoff losses to the Celtics and Raptors in the past couple of years.

Frontcourt.

The guy teams are prepping with is the Siakam/Gasol, Giannis/Lopez and AD/D12 or LBJ/AD frontcourt.

Looking at this, you can see why the Al/Biid frontcourt is a very smart move. Even JJ talked about the size in the frontcourt, in his recent interview at sixersbeat after I pointed it out like several months ago.

The way I see it, the way to unlock Biid is to construct a unit that forces a PF to defend him. How do you do that? Let him defend the PFs like Siakam, Giannis and AD. You don’t agree with that? Well that is what’s happening.

The only reason why it’s not working is again.. our time didn’t have enough time to gel and Biid was a drama queen this season.

Al, on paper, was really a great move. It allows you these..
1.) gives matchup advantages for Ben, Tobi and Biid
2.) stretches the floor
3.) gives you a center who can provide a positive five man unit, whenever Biid sits
4.) gives you another body who can defend Siakam or Giannis (this hasn’t been the case in our recent match-ups though, but Im guessing playoff Al will be better)

In the playoffs, Biid can’t straight up carry this team against 5s. He needs to dominate 4s. And the way to do it is put him in situations where 4s like Siakam, Giannis or AD are defending him.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#274 » by Kobblehead » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:04 pm

I don't think we can manipulate teams into defending Embiid with a PF.

Also, I don't think it wise to think a 34 year old aging bigman can slow down guys like Giannis and Pascal.

Ben Simmons is a 6'10" defensive phenom and should be the best defender in the entire league of guys like Giannis and Pascal.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#275 » by Kobblehead » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:15 pm

I agree with you that Horford allows Simmons and Harris to have size mismatches.

However:

1. Neither player really has the one-on-one ability to take advantage of mismatches (especially Simmons).
2. Individual creativity is non-existent in Brett Brown's system.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#276 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:26 pm

Simmons should draw the assignment against long athletic bigs like Giannis and Siakam, but Embiid still needs to be in position to constantly switch and wall off the lane when those guys are getting downhill.

I'd throw Harris on Gasol and Lopez who aren't huge inside threats and focus Embiid & Simmons' attention defensively towards containing the alphas.

76ciology
RealGM

Post#277 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Ben can’t defend Siakam and Giannis (and quite frankly even Kawhi). Well, at this point. And personally, I think he wants to defend guards which allows him to have mismatches on transition. He’s great at defending guards for me though.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#278 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:04 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Simmons should draw the assignment against long athletic bigs like Giannis and Siakam, but Embiid still needs to be in position to constantly switch and wall off the lane when those guys are getting downhill.

I'd throw Harris on Gasol and Lopez who aren't huge inside threats and focus Embiid & Simmons' attention defensively towards containing the alphas.

We did that. But we got killed in the boards. Probably the biggest reason why we lose against the Raps in game 7 was getting out rebounded. I could be wrong, but in our celts match-up, horford also got a big shot with Roco defending him (he gambled for a steal)

And if you throw Harris on those bigs and Ben with Siakam or Giannis, where will Biid be?

Right now the direction we have is Biid will be in the same category with Siakam and Giannis while Horford will be busy against Gasol and Brolo. Then Al also provides important minutes as Biid’s back-up C. Al at C without Biid and with Ben has good chemistry.

Right now.. we just need more minutes for our starters (With 100% healthy physically and EMOTIONALLY) to gel.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#279 » by Kobblehead » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:04 pm

Ben can defend those guys on the ball with ease. It's just when they have deep position and start posting him is when he gets in trouble. But that's when you swarm with a double.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#280 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:13 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Ben can defend those guys on the ball with ease. It's just when they have deep position and start posting him is when he gets in trouble. But that's when you swarm with a double.

Yeah, but i think teams would rather construct a roster that can neutralize the opponent with individual defense as primary then swarming as just secondary.

A good game to watch regarding our gameplan working was when we faced the Bucks in christmas. Biid was playing a 100% back then.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers