ImageImageImage

Let's start the rebuild!

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#1 » by whitehops » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:19 am

obviously most of us were hoping we would make more trades but with drummond being traded i think the rebuild is officially on. here is my projection on our cap situation going forward:

for these purposes, i guessed morris would decline his player option and that we'd cut khyri thomas and totaled that number up. the "inclusive" amount includes both of their salaries. i also assumed we'd get the 8th pick, which is what we're slated to get right now. i left thon on because i could see them offering him a small deal as a backup C, but if not you can pretend that his $4.9 million goes to christian wood or another replacement. not sure what wood would command but i hope we re-sign him with the promise of a lot of playing time.

this is the first time in what feels like forever that we have actual cap space to work with, and i'd love if stefanski was conservative in filling out the remaining 5-7 roster spots. aim for young guys that wore out their welcome with the team that drafted them but still have some ability (like harry giles) or guys that teams let walk after their rookie deal (potentially de'andre bembry, dwayne bacon, frank jackson, skal labissiere, etc.). i'd like our free agent signings to be of those nature exclusively and hopefully we find our own spencer dinwiddie. the exception i'd be okay with is if we can find another rose-like value for MLE money or less (joe harris?). ideally everything for 1-2 year deals and only add a third if it's a team option.

we need to get more draft capital. right now we only have our first round pick, though that could be a high pick depending on what happens the rest of the season and lottery. i'd push to trade rose for a mid to late pick and salary filler or for a "prospect" and a second rounder. try to buy a second round pick for a draft and stash player. ideally we end up with three draft picks imo.

i would try to extend svi and brown this offseason before they potentially raise their value next season. obviously it's in their best interest to wait. with kennard i would let him play out next year, see how his health holds up and then decide what to do when he's a restricted free agent.

in summary: i hope we are very frugal in free agency, try to find young players that haven't broken out yet, try to get a couple more draft picks via trade and overall keep roster flexibility. until blake comes off the books (i'm not even hoping for a trade) we won't be able to break the bank so spending wisely, keeping things flexible and giving us the chance to take on bad salary for draft picks is the name of the game.

what would you guys want to see happen?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:45 am

Agree with everything you said. I just hope they dont try to do a quick retool going FVV or something.

Kinda strange to see the capspace being opened up again.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#3 » by pistonsbball » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:44 am

I dunno man, I don't have a good feeling. I think the FO thinks we're a playoff team with a healthy Blake and DRose. I see us adding more vets in FA.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#4 » by dVs33 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:51 am

Yep this is my fear too. Max out derozen in the off-season and go around again. I really hope I'm wrong, but the pistons have been doing this for years
pistonsbball wrote:I dunno man, I don't have a good feeling. I think the FO thinks we're a playoff team with a healthy Blake and DRose. I see us adding more vets in FA.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#5 » by ByeByeDre » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:56 am

Forget free agency, make trades for crappy contracts and picks.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#6 » by treefi » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:58 am

dVs33 wrote:Yep this is my fear too. Max out derozen in the off-season and go around again. I really hope I'm wrong, but the pistons have been doing this for years
pistonsbball wrote:I dunno man, I don't have a good feeling. I think the FO thinks we're a playoff team with a healthy Blake and DRose. I see us adding more vets in FA.

oh no. i didn't think about this before but i believe you. damn it. :banghead:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,752

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:14 am

I see no particular reason to believe this trade signals a rebuild.

All it means is they didn’t want to pay Drummond.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#8 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:50 am

Snakebites wrote:I see no particular reason to believe this trade signals a rebuild.

All it means is they didn’t want to pay Drummond.

Yeah I dont see it signaling that either. Like Ellis wrote about yesterday his sources said the plan is to try to be "competitive" next season. The pistons and Knicks have the most cap space on the market.

We've still got the same owner whos always had a playoff or bust mentality. We've got Ed a play it safe yes man running the FO. Our coach is a 62 year old highly paid D.Casey, who I imagine isnt interested in a rebuild at this point.

I expect once we get closer to FA we start hearing things about "Blake looking good" and then we start looking at improving the roster.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#9 » by vege » Fri Feb 7, 2020 11:26 am

Last time we had significant money in a weak FA class we had to give up a lotto 1st to erase some of our mistakes.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#10 » by El Chivo » Fri Feb 7, 2020 11:35 am

vege wrote:Last time we had significant money in a weak FA class we had to give up a lotto 1st to erase some of our mistakes.

so?
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
vege
RealGM

Post#11 » by vege » Fri Feb 7, 2020 11:40 am

This is our roster for next season so far.

/
Blake Griffin / Sekou Doumbouya
Tony Snell / Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Luke Kennard / Bruce Brown
Derrick Rose /

Do you guys really think we're rebuilding?
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#12 » by El Chivo » Fri Feb 7, 2020 11:42 am

vege wrote:This is our roster for next season so far.

/
Derrick Rose /

I'm fine with a proper retooling. I'm not a Stefanski fan, but given that Drummond is gone I'll be a little optimistic.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#13 » by Canadafan » Fri Feb 7, 2020 11:57 am

John Wall and 2 unprotected 1st rounders for our cap space this summer. Him and Blake can rehab their value and by the deadline we turn both of them into 1st rounders.
vege
RealGM

Post#14 » by vege » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:06 pm

El Chivo wrote:
vege wrote:This is our roster for next season so far.

/
Derrick Rose /

I'm fine with a proper retooling. I'm not a Stefanski fan, but given that Drummond is gone I'll be a little optimistic.

You mean you're fine building around Blake and Rose? 2 very injury prone old players? :noway:
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#15 » by ducler » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:46 pm

To me, there will be no rebuild but a retool. They will prepare the transition but they will try for a last playoffs pushs the next 2/3 years around Blake and D-Rose.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#16 » by Kilo » Fri Feb 7, 2020 1:45 pm

Stefanski wanted to deal Kennard for a 2020 FRP so he could get two lotto rookies added from this off-season to say "rebuild complete we have Sekou and two lotto rookies as our future" and then spend the Dre money to compete now. Dangling Kennard to me means he has his sights on a 2-guard. DeMar Derozan makes perfect sense as that player - connection to Casey, 31yrs old no contenders will have money to sign him, SA wants to move on from him.

Rose|Brown
DeRozan|Mykhailiuk
Snell|2020 FRP
Griffin|Doumbouya
Wood|MLE UFA

I look for Kennard to PHX to be re-opened come after the draft lottery if PHX is sitting around 10-14 range, and if Kennard plays well an is healthy ROS.

If we bring in DDR on a big deal, no way we could keep Kennard when he's up as a RFA - which is why Stefanski wanted to move him now as well. If the team isn't going to pay the tax, you need rookies behind your big money starters. Kennard will be $15M in a years time, the rookie contract he was traded for would be <$4M.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#17 » by Billl » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:02 pm

Hopefully this is step 1 of the rebuild. Actually, I'd say 1A. Drafting a raw 19 yr old project was probably step 1.

And I'm sure lots of fans will be calling for big moves, but that's a bad way to go about a rebuild. Once you commit, you basically need to a take a couple of years and basically suck. Anyone you sign to "help" just undercuts the whole idea of getting high draft picks to build around.
Pistons888
Junior
And1: 205

Post#18 » by Pistons888 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:07 pm

Read on Twitter
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#19 » by DCintheD » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:20 pm

Pistons888 wrote:
Read on Twitter

When will Malik Rose finally take over?
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#20 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:20 pm

Really feels like we missed the boat on not trading Rose as well.

Wr had better not blow this cap space on trash this summer.

Return to Detroit Pistons