Fake Trade Thread 2

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Re: Fake Trade Thread 2 

Post#1661 » by NCHeels2008 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:24 am

Robot Rock wrote:
-Ian- wrote:I don't know how but I have a feeling Mitch will go after Ingram this summer.

I don't think so. Ingram has some sort of quality they don't like.

yea he's good and expensive
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#1662 » by Robot Rock » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:26 am

NCHeels2008 wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
-Ian- wrote:I don't know how but I have a feeling Mitch will go after Ingram this summer.

That describes Terry.
NCHeels2008
RealGM

Post#1663 » by NCHeels2008 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:26 am

I love that we kept Marvin instantly for the 10 teams to be interested in him, I can't imagine there wasn't a single suitor for an equal contract of crappier player and 2nd rounder.
NCHeels2008
RealGM

Post#1664 » by NCHeels2008 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:27 am

Robot Rock wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:

That describes Terry.

Terry isn't good or not at least on the level like Ingram. Maybe Ingram can be our new Hayward
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,515

Post#1665 » by Bassman » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:59 am

NCHeels2008 wrote:I love that we kept Marvin instantly for the 10 teams to be interested in him, I can't imagine there wasn't a single suitor for an equal contract of crappier player and 2nd rounder.

Exactly. What the hell Mitch? I’d rather keep him and let him sign in the offseason with a contender.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1666 » by BigSlam » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:11 am

DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:We are in a prolonged tank yet made no move to acquire any assets, opting instead to let all our FAs walk for nothing.

We kicked off this tank by letting our biggest asset hit the UFA market, then "salvaged" his departure by S&T'ing for a PG that doesn't fit our rebuild schedule and in a best case scenario hurts our rebuild and draft position by winning us games.

WTF are we doing?

letting FA's walk for nothing is kinda the move...

especially when other teams have to give up assets to shed salary.

Some people also seem to be overlooking that, with the players we had that were tradable, money going out meant there would have been equal money coming back in.

We need to get OUT of the contacts we have on the books, not extend the pain by bringing back longer contracts of equal amount (because no one is giving up pure cap space just to land Bats, Biz or MKG).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1667 » by 316Hornets » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:12 am

Drummond was traded for a 2nd rounder. I'd imagine best case scenario with Marvin would've been a playoff team 2nd rounder. It's really not a big deal. Anybody even following Jalen McDaniels?
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#1668 » by yosemiteben » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:27 am

Robot Rock wrote:Who is underperforming? The second-year PG who’s emerged as our best player? The second-year swing forward who’s been our most stable scorer of late? The rookie PF? Monk, who’s turned a corner?

Monk and Bridges have both been very disappointing this season IMO. We hoped Bacon would break out this season, but he's practically unplayable. Advanced stats say Bridges has been one of the worst defensive players in the league this season, and his shooting is less efficient this season compared to last season.

You may disagree and feel like those guys are playing up to expectations. That's fine. I'm just saying, I think it's reasonable to be frustrated that our lotto picks from 2017 and 2018 have not performed better.

Graham was a nice find, and I'm excited about PJ. With that said, I think it's fair to be frustrated with the state of our youth.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1669 » by yosemiteben » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:30 am

DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:We are in a prolonged tank yet made no move to acquire any assets, opting instead to let all our FAs walk for nothing.

We kicked off this tank by letting our biggest asset hit the UFA market, then "salvaged" his departure by S&T'ing for a PG that doesn't fit our rebuild schedule and in a best case scenario hurts our rebuild and draft position by winning us games.

WTF are we doing?

Wrong season dude, nobody is trying to shed salary for this summer. If we cared about preserving space for this summer, why did we sign Terry last summer when we knew we were going to tank this season?

When you rebuild, you have to maximize two assets - cap space and draft picks. By signing Terry, we wasted cap space. By letting FAs walk and/or holding on to vets that don't fit our rebuild, we give up on potential draft picks.

If I were GM and knew we were tanking, I would have traded Kemba before he hit free agency. If that wasn't an option, I sure as **** wouldn't have traded him for almost $20M in salary commitment for three years. By the deadline, I 100% would have traded Cody and Marv, who at least could have yielded us 2nds, and any of MKG, Biz, or Willy that I could to get any draft picks (likely not possible). I would have been very open to trading Monk and maybe Bridges for the right offer, because likely both will hit FA before we fully exit our rebuild and I'm not at all convinced they will be worth using cap space on.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1670 » by yosemiteben » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:38 am

316Hornets wrote:Drummond was traded for a 2nd rounder. I'd imagine best case scenario with Marvin would've been a playoff team 2nd rounder. It's really not a big deal.

I really don't understand this mindset. We are tanking, but we are turning down 2nds for no reason?
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#1671 » by 316Hornets » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:47 am

yosemiteben wrote:
316Hornets wrote:Drummond was traded for a 2nd rounder. I'd imagine best case scenario with Marvin would've been a playoff team 2nd rounder. It's really not a big deal.

I really don't understand this mindset. We are tanking, but we are turning down 2nds for no reason?

Very late 2nds. I mean MJ normally just pawns those off anyhow. Some of you are all doom and gloom, but this team is in fantastic position if they can get a top pick in the draft. We could even stretch out Batum's contract if there's someone we wanted to spend big money on this offseason.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#1672 » by amcoolio » Sat Feb 8, 2020 5:44 am

yosemiteben wrote:

Nobody had expiring contracts close to Marvin's 15M that was willing to trade a pick with him, simple as that
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,736

Post#1673 » by Diop » Sat Feb 8, 2020 6:32 am

amcoolio wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Nobody had expiring contracts close to Marvin's 15M that was willing to trade a pick with him, simple as that

This is what I was thinking too.
chellis
Senior
And1: 130

Post#1674 » by chellis » Sat Feb 8, 2020 12:06 pm

amcoolio wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Something else to consider is that Marv is a 15 year vet. Maybe there was a trade offer out there but we wanted to be fair to him and let him go to a contender. I don’t know if that’s the case but if so, that can signal to players that the organization will try to do right by you.

At the end of the day, do I wish we could have shipped off players for picks? Absolutely. Am I upset and shocked we didn’t? No. The Hornets have been poorly managed and not really enjoyable to watch.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1675 » by DY_nasty » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:46 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

WTF are we doing?

Wrong season dude, nobody is trying to shed salary for this summer. If we cared about preserving space for this summer, why did we sign Terry last summer when we knew we were going to tank this season?

When you rebuild, you have to maximize two assets - cap space and draft picks. By signing Terry, we wasted cap space. By letting FAs walk and/or holding on to vets that don't fit our rebuild, we give up on potential draft picks.

If I were GM and knew we were tanking, I would have traded Kemba before he hit free agency. If that wasn't an option, I sure as **** wouldn't have traded him for almost $20M in salary commitment for three years. By the deadline, I 100% would have traded Cody and Marv, who at least could have yielded us 2nds, and any of MKG, Biz, or Willy that I could to get any draft picks (likely not possible). I would have been very open to trading Monk and maybe Bridges for the right offer, because likely both will hit FA before we fully exit our rebuild and I'm not at all convinced they will be worth using cap space on.

If you're putting the frame of this entire rebuild on ONE season, you'd have a point

but no one is :lol:
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1676 » by yosemiteben » Sat Feb 8, 2020 5:11 pm

The point is that there is no reason to care about cap space this summer, we aren't close to exiting a rebuild and we should try to do whatever we can to build draft assets.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#1677 » by 316Hornets » Sat Feb 8, 2020 5:49 pm

I think we are pretty close to exiting the rebuild personally. Graham has exceeded expectations along with Rozier and PJ. Our bad contracts are dropping off and we are one of a handful of teams with cap space this summer. If we can nail our draft pick this year, I think 8th seed is reasonable and we'll be in much better position than if we had cap strapped ourselves to Kemba's massive contract.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#1678 » by 316Hornets » Sat Feb 8, 2020 5:55 pm

Like seriously, how can a team that is finally done paying MKG, Biz, and Marvin a combined 45 mil/ year not be looking in a positive direction with the addition of a top draft pick, top free agent, and promising young talent? And, next year will be the last year of Zeller and Batum at 42 mil / year. At worse, we are 1 more year of rebuild away from having a shot at really competing.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1679 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Feb 8, 2020 6:23 pm

This years free agent crop sucks. 2021 is where it's at free agent, and draft wise. Need to suck another couple years
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1680 » by Rays Pompadour » Sat Feb 8, 2020 6:37 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:This years free agent crop sucks. 2021 is where it's at free agent, and draft wise. Need to suck another couple years

I don't think that will be a problem. Young squad, conservative GM, no urgency to win.

Return to Charlotte Hornets