ImageImageImage

Tatum and Brown, as 1-2 Options

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#761 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:47 pm

I think the narrative is shifting now to, can you win a title with Tatum as your best player?
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#762 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:22 pm

Homerclease wrote:I think the narrative is shifting now to, can you win a title with Tatum as your best player?

I'm starting to think yes. Cave said it last night, he is looking like Durant out there.
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,817

Post#763 » by TommyPointGawd » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:28 pm

If Tatum is the best player on the team than we legit have a shot at the ship this year.
Kemba is limited and will begin to decline so this year is time to strike. If everyone is healthy. And Tatum continues to never miss a 3 we have a punchers chance agianst anybody.
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,211

Post#764 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:35 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Homerclease wrote:I think the narrative is shifting now to, can you win a title with Tatum as your best player?

I'm starting to think yes. Cave said it last night, he is looking like Durant out there.

We are all Trinity for the past month.

Gifmaker had one job. Way to spell believe.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#765 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:41 pm

The Comedian wrote:

The next steps is adding some muscle to his frame to help finish through contact in the paint, and after that is actually starting to get the superstar whistle. Everything else is pretty much there.
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer

Post#766 » by TommyPointGawd » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:07 pm

How many seasons before the Jays are better than Kawhi and George? On the GB this might get laughed at but I think it can happen relatively soon.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#767 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:16 pm

TommyPointGawd wrote:How many seasons before the Jays are better than Kawhi and George? On the GB this might get laughed at but I think it can happen relatively soon.

Awhile. Kawhi coasts through the regular season and flips the switch in the playoffs. When he’s locked in he’s the best player in the NBA. Tatum may never reach that type of level, in fact it’s more likely than not that he never does
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#768 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:22 pm

Homerclease wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:How many seasons before the Jays are better than Kawhi and George? On the GB this might get laughed at but I think it can happen relatively soon.

Awhile. Kawhi coasts through the regular season and flips the switch in the playoffs. When he’s locked in he’s the best player in the NBA. Tatum may never reach that type of level, in fact it’s more likely than not that he never does

Tatum can be PG Jaylen can be jimmy butler I think those r closer comparisons
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer

Post#769 » by TommyPointGawd » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:26 pm

Homerclease wrote:

Yea I may be bugging a little bit, but I feeling so good about the Cs future. Sky is the limit for the young bulls.

MagicBagley18 wrote: Tatum can be PG Jaylen can be jimmy butler I think those r closer comparisons

Taking Kawhi out. Tatum can be better than PG same with Jaylen and Butler. Also I meant as a duo not individually.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#770 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:27 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

Tatum can be PG Jaylen can be jimmy butler I think those r closer comparisons

Agree, I just don’t see Kawhi falling off anytime soon to the level where the Celtics kids surpass them. Unless Tatum and/or Brown take some kind of quantum leap forward
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#771 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:16 pm

If we ever win a championship with Tatum and Brown as the core pieces, I will forgive Kyrie for leaving Boston and therefore, forcing us to keep our young fellas.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#772 » by cloverleaf » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:44 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:If we ever win a championship with Tatum and Brown as the core pieces, I will forgive Kyrie for leaving Boston and therefore, forcing us to keep our young fellas.

I could not have been happier when Kyrie left. Not giving Danny the chance to recommit to him was by far the best thing he did in Boston.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#773 » by cloverleaf » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:49 pm

If all goes well and they are healthy, Romeo and Rob should be right up there in the next generation core by next season as well. I wonder if Romeo and Smart will develop some good chemistry as a bench duo. Rob should be starting next year if he stays healthy. (Tacko off the bench with Romeo, Smart and Grant. :D )
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,673

Post#774 » by Tatumfor2 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 6:00 pm

cloverleaf wrote:If all goes well and they are healthy, Romeo and Rob should be right up there in the next generation core by next season as well. I wonder if Romeo and Smart will develop some good chemistry as a bench duo. Rob should be starting next year if he stays healthy. (Tacko off the bench with Romeo, Smart and Grant. :D )

Lots of if's, but I'm with ya! We should dream big if we're gonna dream!
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#775 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Feb 8, 2020 7:59 pm

So happy we didn't trade Tatum and Brown. I think they are if they keep improving in reach of being elite, both of them, which is very rare and for all the flack Danny gets for being a bad drafter, he hit the two picks he absolutely had to nail.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,724

Post#776 » by Slax » Sat Feb 8, 2020 8:16 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Slax wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Tatums last ten games: 26/7/3.3 on 50/45/80 splits, 2 steals, 1 block, 1.3 turnovers a game. Net rating of 22.5, TS of 61, 29% USG.

God damn. Dude is becoming a full blown superstar

Those numbers plus the defense are kind of reminiscent of Paul George imo

George wasn't as good in his third year. If Tatum keeps up the hard work, he could be better, but I've always said the comp is good for Tatum. George averaged 17/7.5/4 on .420 in his 3rd season.

Yeah man to be clear, I'm saying his play recently is reminiscent of George now / in his prime. In terms of development, he's way ahead of where George was at the same stage in his career.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#777 » by 31to6 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 8:55 pm

I’m as bullish on these guys as anyone but am looking forward to our team getting back to full strength (ie non resting) and extended challenging competition on the road
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#778 » by cloverleaf » Sun Feb 9, 2020 12:44 pm

I think I missed this C's assistant coach until now, but he sounds like the perfect guy for his role as JB's practice coach--and maybe JT's too, since Micah used to work with them both?

Tony Dobbins. A 38yo former US college player who played abroad for years then came to the C's working in video, now with the team.

When Tony Dobbins looks at Brown’s moves from the Sixers game, the one quality that stands out to the Celtics assistant coach is the difference in speed between now and one season ago.

Brown took his time beating Thybulle with that crossover dribble, just as he didn’t attempt to take the express train past Horford. Instead, he was deliberate.

“He had several plays in the Philadelphia game where he had a man in front of him at the start of the action, and by the end of the action that man wasn’t in front of him anymore,” said Dobbins, who took over Brown’s workouts when Micah Shrewsberry, the former Celtics assistant, left to join Matt Painter’s staff at Purdue.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/02/08/jaylen-brown-slows-down-to-accelerate/

Here he was 7 years ago, being interviewed as a player in France.
He even looks and sounds a bit like Brown and was espousing the Stevens philosophy way back then:

estendius
Junior
And1: 304

Post#779 » by estendius » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:13 pm

Tatum and Brown floor might be our PG and Jimmy Butler. And the team with two guys like them will be a contender years to come.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,211

Post#780 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:51 pm

https://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2019-20-week-17
Jayson Tatum (26.8 points per game) has led seven Celtics averaging double-figures over the 10-1 stretch and has shot 24-for-45 from 3-point range over the last five. He already has a new career high for 3-pointers in a season (126), a result of him trading mid-range shots for 3-pointer and improving his shooting off the dribble. After shooting 32.0% on off-the-dribble 3-pointers over his first two seasons, Tatum has shot 39.2% this season, a mark that ranks sixth among 45 players who have attempted at least 100 pull-up 3-pointers.

Return to Boston Celtics