Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Re: Rumor: Lauri wants out. 

Post#121 » by Indomitable » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:06 am

pwrshft99 wrote:
SearsTower wrote:Just fire Boylen already. Sweet fancy Moses...

No front office should survive long enough to pick their SIXTH head coach. The problem is further up the command chain.

None of their previous coaches are in the league anymore. To make it worse?? They were all 'their guys'

Except the one guy who had any success.
:banghead:
pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Post#122 » by pwrshft99 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:44 pm

Indomitable wrote:
pwrshft99 wrote:

No front office should survive long enough to pick their SIXTH head coach. The problem is further up the command chain.

None of their previous coaches are in the league anymore. To make it worse?? They were all 'their guys'

If any of them had been worthy, they would surely have found other head coaching gigs. Very, very telling that NO ONE else agrees with the Bulls when it comes to evaluating potential head coaches.
#sadbullsfan
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,866

Post#123 » by bledredwine » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:53 pm

Indomitable wrote:
bledredwine wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
His value is crap right now, so I doubt you'll get anything meaningful this summer for him in a trade. He only has one more year under his contract, and then the trading team would get RFA rights which would be valuable for a team over the cap, but he needs to prove he's worthy of a greater than MLE deal for that to even matter.

Got it. Yeah- I definitely wouldn’t trade him now. I think that next season, he’ll be a better player.

If not? What a waste. I really have faith in Lauri’s potential.

Why?

Because giving his physical tools, prior season, all signs point to him being another Butler case of sucking before fulfilling potential.

Most importantly, his value is at an all time low... and that’s when we usually make our trades. Look at what it’s done to us.
TallDude
Junior
And1: 140

Post#124 » by TallDude » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:20 pm

Butler was good in his 4th year. Even he get huge minutes in his 3rd year his stats were really low. Lauri has been better than Jimmy first 2,5 year. Even now he is better in statwise than Butler was his 3rd.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#125 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sat Feb 8, 2020 5:35 pm

TallDude wrote:Butler was good in his 4th year. Even he get huge minutes in his 3rd year his stats were really low. Lauri has been better than Jimmy first 2,5 year. Even now he is better in statwise than Butler was his 3rd.

Butler locked himself in Butler Island during that summer to work on his game meaning no sex, no human, no Internet, and no premade vegan food. The man went caveman on us and came back a prehistoric beast.

I don’t see that commitment from Soft Lauri but am welcome to be proven wrong.
Bullstuff
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#126 » by Bullstuff » Sat Feb 8, 2020 6:40 pm

Lauri is obviously a hard worker and he is not vegan...
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#127 » by sco » Sat Feb 8, 2020 6:55 pm

Bullstuff wrote:Lauri is obviously a hard worker and he is not vegan...

I think some guys in the NBA don't know the difference between working out hard and working on your game hard. Muscles make nice instagrams, not buckets.
:clap:
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#128 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sat Feb 8, 2020 7:16 pm

I would say its 80% Scheme 20% Lauri. Even Paxson has eluded so.

That doesn't totally absolve Lauri but its a big part to why things have changed. And I stand by that we are in the twilight zone because if we don't change the coach or scheme, we are going to get the same results. For just about anyone not just Lauri.

If you don't like Lauri or don't think he is a good player, then by all means move him. But if you believe he is a good player in a wrong situation, then we will be stupid to move him.
The Cult of Personality
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#129 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sat Feb 8, 2020 7:21 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:I would say its 80% Scheme 20% Lauri. Even Paxson has eluded so.

That doesn't totally absolve Lauri but its a big part to why things have changed. And I stand by that we are in the twilight zone because if we don't change the coach or scheme, we are going to get the same results. For just about anyone not just Lauri.

If you don't like Lauri or don't think he is a good player, then by all means move him. But if you believe he is a good player in a wrong situation, then we will be stupid to move him.

Paxson: Indeud. My coach Boylen is in the lab concocting a new scheme to make Lauri a superstar. Can’t happen bc of the most recent injury. Give us some time! Meanwhile, keep coming to our games. Thanks for your money (you idiot suckers lol).
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#130 » by dougthonus » Sat Feb 8, 2020 8:29 pm

PaKii94 wrote:I applaud the effort but Niko is actually a bad example and doesn't fit the description. Also you're clustering it by volume and not by time. Injuries affect by time not volume. Niko was just naturally a volatile player. He had his ups and downs also but they were period swings not sustained bad play followed by sustained good play. The closest Lauri has come to him is his rookie season (where I said he was a volatile player lol). It's pretty easy to see once you look at the graphs. I'll share those later when I am back at my computer.

I look forward to seeing the graphs, because based on the monthly aggregates, he is literally in the exact same pattern. He is on for 3 months in a row then off for 3 months in a row for three straight years.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#131 » by drosereturn » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:14 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:I would say its 80% Scheme 20% Lauri. Even Paxson has eluded so.

The problem with moving is you are giving up pennies on the dollar. If your not getting a blue chip prospect/allstar, now you just building the ultimate treadmill team. It would be much better to just sell everyone and start from scratch.
The best solution is to resign him asap and later make a decision like GSW did with DAR. Way too early to judge atm like pax said.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
hellenicbull
Junior
And1: 132

Post#132 » by hellenicbull » Sun Feb 9, 2020 6:11 am

I was listening to See Red Fred's podcast a while back. He had a guest on, I don't remember exactly who right now but he indeed confirmed that Lauri has been vegan since last spring. If that truly is the case I hope he is getting the proper nutrition. Vegans
do just fine nutrition-wise for the most part but Laurie is a pro athlete and a 7 footer so I hope he doesn't take that for granted.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#133 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Feb 9, 2020 6:56 am

hellenicbull wrote:

I was listening to See Red Fred's podcast a while back. He had a guest on, I don't remember exactly who right now but he indeed confirmed that Lauri has been vegan since last spring. If that truly is the case I hope he is getting the proper nutrition. Vegans
do just fine nutrition-wise for the most part but Laurie is a pro athlete and a 7 footer so I hope he doesn't take that for granted.

Lauri might getting too "woke" to be a great athlete. Need to start eating reindeer steaks again.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#134 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:12 am

Interesting, I would just about flip that. I hang 70% of Lauri’s performance on him. I’m hard pressed to think of many examples of scheme holding a player back as much as some think Boylen’s holding back Lauri. In a five man game, if you’re playing hard and thinking, opportunities generally find you.

And that’s Lauri’s problem, as far as I can tell: he doesn’t have the baseline of effort and IQ to buouy his performance through nagging injuries, fatigue, shooting slumps, less than optimal role and all the other obstacles every player deals with over an 82 game season. When the stars align for him, you get FebruLauri. But when a couple things go wrong and it’s time to punch the clock anyway, he fades.

I don’t know exactly what kind of physical and mental conditioning he needs, but I find it interesting that he’s able to spend summers in Finland with relatively little scrutiny on his offseason training. Maybe those days are over. Can’t imagine he’ll get the benefit of the doubt after this season.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#135 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:32 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

Interesting, I would just about flip that. I hang 70% of Lauri’s performance on him. I’m hard pressed to think of many examples of scheme holding a player back as much as some think Boylen’s holding back Lauri. In a five man game, if you’re playing hard and thinking, opportunities generally find you.

And that’s Lauri’s problem, as far as I can tell: he doesn’t have the baseline of effort and IQ to buouy his performance through nagging injuries, fatigue, shooting slumps, less than optimal role and all the other obstacles every player deals with over an 82 game season. When the stars align for him, you get FebruLauri. But when a couple things go wrong and it’s time to punch the clock anyway, he fades.

I don’t know exactly what kind of physical and mental conditioning he needs, but I find it interesting that he’s able to spend summers in Finland with relatively little scrutiny on his offseason training. Maybe those days are over. Can’t imagine he’ll get the benefit of the doubt after this season.

I see they just let anyone become a mod...congrats!
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#136 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:05 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

Thanks, haha. It’s been a few months now, I’ve just been scarce because of life stuff.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,313

Post#137 » by Mbrahv0528 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:43 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

I mean it's pretty clear at this point coaching is the issue. I'm not sure how anyone can say with a straight face that Boylen isn't thr problem. But yeah, let's blame the players, that's easier to grasp I guess for some.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,626

Post#138 » by Dez » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:54 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

I mean it's pretty clear at this point coaching is the issue. I'm not sure how anyone can say with a straight face that Boylen isn't thr problem. But yeah, let's blame the players, that's easier to grasp I guess for some.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Boylen is the biggest problem for sure but Lauri has his own effort issues, doesn't work hard enough to get open or set decent screens for teammates.
Fantastik_Goat
Senior
And1: 576

Post#139 » by Fantastik_Goat » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:57 pm

Indomitable wrote:
pwrshft99 wrote:

In fairness
Tim Floyd, Vinnie Del Negro, Scott Skiles, and Thibs all took other NBA teams to the playoffs after there time with the bulls
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#140 » by Indomitable » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:06 pm

Fantastik_Goat wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
pwrshft99 wrote:

In fairness
Tim Floyd, Vinnie Del Negro, Scott Skiles, and Thibs all took other NBA teams to the playoffs after there time with the bulls

Floyd and Del Negro did nothing note worthy. Smiles had one good run. Thibs had a good 4 year run. He was head in shoulders above the others.
:banghead:

Return to Chicago Bulls