ImageImage

Fake Trade Thread 2

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Re: Fake Trade Thread 2 

Post#1681 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sat Feb 8, 2020 6:41 pm

It's such a frustrating position to be in. We'll be among the only teams with cap room but the class sucks. We'll likely still have space the following year but the entire league is prepping for that class, and no one is gonna come here with all the other available options.

More and more I think they're gonna do something irresponsible like signing DeRozan this offseason.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#1682 » by amcoolio » Sat Feb 8, 2020 7:50 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:It's such a frustrating position to be in. We'll be among the only teams with cap room but the class sucks. We'll likely still have space the following year but the entire league is prepping for that class, and no one is gonna come here with all the other available options.

More and more I think they're gonna do something irresponsible like signing DeRozan this offseason.

We can get top 2021 free agents if Devonte Graham and PJ Washington take huge leaps next year and Graham becomes an all-star. Really our only hope.

Mitch has shown to be good at drafting though so even if we are lottery the next 2-3 years I have hope.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1683 » by Rays Pompadour » Sat Feb 8, 2020 8:06 pm

The Hornets will need for one of the youngins to blossom, so he can be added to a draft pick to trade for a star.

Or something like that.

But money talks. Soon the Hornets will have a stable of developing young talent, high draft position and cap space. Not a bad place for the right free agent.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#1684 » by Soul Rebel » Sat Feb 8, 2020 8:37 pm

This draft class selection will truly make or break our franchise during this reboot, IMO.

Landing an Edwards/Wiseman/Ball is sooo important to what we have in place. If we hit paydirt with a cornerstone All-Star caliber player this year, and then head into the summer of '21 with a large chunk of cap space..... I don't see why we couldn't pull a very, very good player here. Graham-Miles-PJ + whomever we draft this year, and potentially Monk as a 6th man running the 2nd unit with Martin & Kulboka..... man, we are looking good in the East.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,542

Post#1685 » by yosemiteben » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:38 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:This draft class selection will truly make or break our franchise during this reboot, IMO.

Correct, which is why I think it is insane for us to not get as many opportunities at picks as we can. We should be trading every non-core asset for draft picks, and be willing to take on salary to do it as long as the salary doesn't extend beyond our projected exit from our rebuild (no earlier than after the 2021-22 season IMO).
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1686 » by yosemiteben » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:40 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:letting FA's walk for nothing is kinda the move...

especially when other teams have to give up assets to shed salary.

Wrong season dude, nobody is trying to shed salary for this summer. If we cared about preserving space for this summer, why did we sign Terry last summer when we knew we were going to tank this season?

When you rebuild, you have to maximize two assets - cap space and draft picks. By signing Terry, we wasted cap space. By letting FAs walk and/or holding on to vets that don't fit our rebuild, we give up on potential draft picks.

If I were GM and knew we were tanking, I would have traded Kemba before he hit free agency. If that wasn't an option, I sure as **** wouldn't have traded him for almost $20M in salary commitment for three years. By the deadline, I 100% would have traded Cody and Marv, who at least could have yielded us 2nds, and any of MKG, Biz, or Willy that I could to get any draft picks (likely not possible). I would have been very open to trading Monk and maybe Bridges for the right offer, because likely both will hit FA before we fully exit our rebuild and I'm not at all convinced they will be worth using cap space on.

If you're putting the frame of this entire rebuild on ONE season, you'd have a point

but no one is
So we know we're in for an extended rebuild, yet we're unwilling to take on salary or trade for draft picks? Explain that logic.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1687 » by DY_nasty » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:18 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Wrong season dude, nobody is trying to shed salary for this summer. If we cared about preserving space for this summer, why did we sign Terry last summer when we knew we were going to tank this season?

When you rebuild, you have to maximize two assets - cap space and draft picks. By signing Terry, we wasted cap space. By letting FAs walk and/or holding on to vets that don't fit our rebuild, we give up on potential draft picks.

If I were GM and knew we were tanking, I would have traded Kemba before he hit free agency. If that wasn't an option, I sure as **** wouldn't have traded him for almost $20M in salary commitment for three years. By the deadline, I 100% would have traded Cody and Marv, who at least could have yielded us 2nds, and any of MKG, Biz, or Willy that I could to get any draft picks (likely not possible). I would have been very open to trading Monk and maybe Bridges for the right offer, because likely both will hit FA before we fully exit our rebuild and I'm not at all convinced they will be worth using cap space on.

If you're putting the frame of this entire rebuild on ONE season, you'd have a point

but no one is
So we know we're in for an extended rebuild, yet we're unwilling to take on salary or trade for draft picks? Explain that logic.

if all of our salary is coming off the books at the same time anyways, what's the point of playing musical chairs? the time frame for all this is already set.

we've done well with our late round drafts picks with mitch so far whether it be draft night trades or player scouting... and this draft is absolutely not the one to load up late first round picks for because everything outside of the lottery may as well be part of the second round in any other year.

this is probably the best time in our franchise's history to be patient and purely developmental with the guys on deck we're doing just that. we don't need to screw over a well-respected guy like marvin williams by sending him somewhere he doesn't want to go for a conditional second or a TPE we won't use.

by the time our young guys, and new young guys, start defining what types of players they're going to be we'll have much better idea of what our best moves in free agency will be and can move accordingly.

there's NOTHING worse than cutting short a rebuild to go all in on a free agency where you come up empty or guess wrong. there's an entire list of middling teams that screwed themselves there with far more talent than we've ever had...
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1688 » by DY_nasty » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:20 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:This draft class selection will truly make or break our franchise during this reboot, IMO.

Landing an Edwards/Wiseman/Ball is sooo important to what we have in place. If we hit paydirt with a cornerstone All-Star caliber player this year, and then head into the summer of '21 with a large chunk of cap space..... I don't see why we couldn't pull a very, very good player here. Graham-Miles-PJ + whomever we draft this year, and potentially Monk as a 6th man running the 2nd unit with Martin & Kulboka..... man, we are looking good in the East.

It really won't lol.... we just need the land one of the few good guys in the top 5 of this draft. Getting anyone that's a net positive here will put us ahead of the rest of the field that tanked. it may very well be another cody zeller situation where we do simply well in what is mostly terrible tbh. you guys need to chill on the franchise savior stuff :lol:

we're tanking again next year too. there's no real rush - just an emphasis on not losing for free.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#1689 » by -Ian- » Sun Feb 9, 2020 12:50 am

amcoolio wrote:
BlackOutBuzz wrote:It's such a frustrating position to be in. We'll be among the only teams with cap room but the class sucks. We'll likely still have space the following year but the entire league is prepping for that class, and no one is gonna come here with all the other available options.

We can get top 2021 free agents if Devonte Graham and PJ Washington take huge leaps next year and Graham becomes an all-star. Really our only hope.

Mitch has shown to be good at drafting though so even if we are lottery the next 2-3 years I have hope.

I know this isn't really the proper thread to post this but I hope Devonte', Miles, and PJ use the All-Star weekend to (try to) get close to young stars so they can possibly recruit them to Charlotte in the future. The NBA is now a collusion friendly league — we've seen Irving and KD team-up in Brooklyn and now Minnesota got KAT's buddy.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1690 » by yosemiteben » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:40 am

DY_nasty wrote:snip

I don't get how this applies to my point.

My point is that we signed a player we didn't need for some hefty cap space, then didn't make any moves to get us draft picks because we were afraid of tying up cap space. It's just a dumb use of resources. If you're tanking, you have to use your cap space to acquire draft assets that fit your rebuild timeline.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1691 » by DY_nasty » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:47 am

yosemiteben wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:snip

I don't get how this applies to my point.

My point is that we signed a player we didn't need for some hefty cap space, then didn't make any moves to get us draft picks because we were afraid of tying up cap space. It's just a dumb use of resources. If you're tanking, you have to use your cap space to acquire draft assets that fit your rebuild timeline.

different gm, different plan

our cap hell escape date is firmly set. a second round pick shouldn't jeopardize that
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#1692 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:55 am

The Rozier acquisition was them trying to save face after completely **** up the Kemba situation, nothing more. He's literally one of only two players Kupchak has signed since coming here, and the other (Tony Parker) was likely only to aid a rookie coach. With Russell off the board, I wouldn't be surprised if Terry ends up in New York by draft day.

I don't necessarily approve of them getting nothing for the expiring deals, but the climate around the deadline was much different than the offseason. I mean, the best expiring player that moved netted only a 2nd (Drummond), whilst in the offseason teams were giving 1sts to teams just to take bad contracts. I guess we'll see if they can pull something like that off themselves, otherwise there's not much reason to be hoarding cap space.

Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,055

Post#1693 » by JMAC3 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:33 am

Fact is no teams were willing to give up much for players. Drummond got a second rounder, Rose wasn’t moved because offers were bad. How many first rounders were traded?

Also there is a difference in 10 teams being interested in Marvin at 2 million instead of Marvin at 15 million. I’m sure if we bought out Batum right now somebody would pick him up, that doesn’t mean they want him at 27 million lol

To me there is no point in taking back salary for next year if we are only offered the 50th pick in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#1694 » by stinger14 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:38 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Fact is no teams were willing to give up much for players. Drummond got a second rounder, Rose wasn’t moved because offers were bad. How many first rounders were traded?

Also there is a difference in 10 teams being interested in Marvin at 2 million instead of Marvin at 15 million. I’m sure if we bought out Batum right now somebody would pick him up, that doesn’t mean they want him at 27 million lol

To me there is no point in taking back salary for next year if we are only offered the 50th pick in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Exactly my point earlier in this thread.

Why make a trade taking back salary for the 59 th pick, or worse?

Just by letting them walk or buying them out, we gain cap space. We may not sign any free agents, but other teams WANT to. By not taking salary in a trade for a terrible pick, we now have space to absorb a contract in the offseason where we can probably get a 1st from a team that needs to clear space to sign a free agent.
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#1695 » by BobsBuddy » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:27 pm

:D :D :D trade checker 7287144 NYK send Julius Randle and Nikita K. and 2020 2nd round pick for Malik R. and Terry Rosier
2020-2021 starting lineup
Devonta Nikita Char #2 draft pick or FA
Batum Bacon NYK #2 draft pick
PJ , Miles
Julius R. Cody M
2020 #1 draft pick , Bender or Cody
If we keep losing the way we are now we will have a top 3 pick and could possibly get the kid from Memphis :D :D :clap: :clap:
Lets think positive :nod: :nod: :nod:
JDuaneWayne
Senior
And1: 115

Post#1696 » by JDuaneWayne » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:31 pm

BobsBuddy wrote::D :D :D trade checker 7287144 NYK send Julius Randle and Nikita K. and 2020 2nd round pick for Malik R. and Terry Rosier
Devonta Nikita
Batum Bacon
Bridges , Cody M.
Julius R. PJ
2020 draft pick , bender or Cody

Where did Randle go?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#1697 » by Diop » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:27 pm

JDuaneWayne wrote:
BobsBuddy wrote::D :D :D trade checker 7287144 NYK send Julius Randle and Nikita K. and 2020 2nd round pick for Malik R. and Terry Rosier
Devonta Nikita
Batum Bacon
Bridges , Cody M.
Julius R. PJ

Where did Randle go?

Julius starting pf

(Not that I agree with the move)
JDuaneWayne
Senior
And1: 115

Post#1698 » by JDuaneWayne » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:39 am

Diop wrote:
JDuaneWayne wrote:
Devonta Nikita
Batum Bacon
Bridges , Cody M.
Julius R. PJ

Where did Randle go?

Julius starting pf

(Not that I agree with the move)

Lol I guess it was edited before my post. There was PJ & Cody Z on there but not in my quote.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1699 » by DY_nasty » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:52 pm

after the cavs taking their worse home loss in history to a kawhi-less clippers on a b2b i never want to hear anything about how drummond would help any team win ever again

factual bum
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#1700 » by Diop » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:28 am

So the first move by the new coach was deandre Jordan starting. Clearly the vets are running that team.
I wonder if jarret Allen is available?

If we can’t draft wiseman, I’d love to snag allen

Return to Charlotte Hornets