ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Feb 8, 2020 9:56 pm

I never start threads, but this seems worthwhile. Especially considering Tatums ceiling likely correlates to our title chances long-term. Also, the Tatum sample size thread needs to die, so i locked it lol.

So what's everyones opinions? Top 15? Top 10? Top 5? Is he good enough to be the best player on a title team? I was mostly in the top 10-15 camp, but I now think that very well could be selling him short, considering many people would say he's in that area already. I'll do some homework in a bit and post some numbers, but what he's doing at his age is pretty damn impressive. His side step off the dribble three is becoming a deadly weapon, his version of Luka and Hardens step back three. And now he's starting to set guys up quite a bit, his assist rate is up over 40% from last year, while having a career low in turnover rate. He's also starting to get to the line more and more, which was a necessity.

Lastly, who do you do you compare him to? Most people will say Paul George, but last night Cave said he was doing Durant stuff out there....and Cave isn't really one for hyperbole lol. He definitely has moments out there where he does look like a mini KD offensively.

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Re: What is Jayson Tatums ceiling? 

Post#2 » by Parliament10 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:01 pm

Jayson Tatum is destined to be a Top 5 player.
He reminds me of Paul Pierce, only a bit bigger, and a little more up-to-date.

https://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/paul_pierce_vs_jayson_tatum.htm
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,604

Post#3 » by Green89 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:10 pm

He"s destined to win titles. Has the talent, work ethic, and drive to do it, too. I'll say he could be first team all-NBA, which puts him top 5.

No way should Butler be top 5 on that MVP list, either.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#4 » by Parliament10 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Carries a little bit of weight, since Perk actual played with Pierce.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,618

Post#5 » by Tatumfor2 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:27 pm

The Comedian wrote:I never start threads, but this seems worthwhile. Especially considering Tatums ceiling likely correlates to our title chances long-term. Also, the Tatum sample size thread needs to die, so i locked it lol.

So what's everyones opinions? Top 15? Top 10? Top 5? Is he good enough to be the best player on a title team? I was mostly in the top 10-15 camp, but I now think that very well could be selling him short, considering many people would say he's in that area already. I'll do some homework in a bit and post some numbers, but what he's doing at his age is pretty damn impressive. His side step off the dribble three is becoming a deadly weapon, his version of Luka and Hardens step back three. And now he's starting to set guys up quite a bit, his assist rate is up over 40% from last year, while having a career low in turnover rate. He's also starting to get to the line more and more, which was a necessity.

Lastly, who do you do you compare him to? Most people will say Paul George, but last night Cave said he was doing Durant stuff out there....and Cave isn't really one for hyperbole lol. He definitely has moments out there where he does look like a mini KD offensively.

Read on Twitter

The bolded is what's fascinating to me. Not only has he developed this, but he's also waving off the screener, the defender knows it's coming, and they can't stop it! :nod:
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#6 » by Roddy » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:38 pm

Something between Danny Granger and Rudy Gay, that's what they told me ! :dontknow:
crimsonandblue
Sophomore
And1: 235

Post#7 » by crimsonandblue » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:46 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Jayson Tatum is destined to be a Top 5 player.

https://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/paul_pierce_vs_jayson_tatum.htm

Pierce was never close to being a top-5 player
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#8 » by GoGreen » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:49 pm

He night end up being better than Pierce imo, and Pierce was a top 15 player during his era. Sky is the limit.

And don't sleep on Jaylen. He's hearing the talk. Kid wants it just as bad. He's going to make noise.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#9 » by 31to6 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:54 pm

If Luka is LeBron with a lot less athleticism I agree that Tatum’s looking like KD minus two inches.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 18,959

Post#10 » by Ben-N1ce » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:56 pm

Easiest comparison to me is Paul George if he never got injured and kept improving. Not sure if he will be as good on D but he can be a little better at scoring. He's starting to get more assists now but that might take a while to get consistent since he naturally always wants to score. Then it's just raising FT rate and that would be a 25+ point scorer with very good D.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,221

Post#11 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:59 pm

I think he can be better than George but not quite on par with KD. Somewhere in the middle. Durant is a tool but one of the greatest pure scorers of all time. Maybe even the best to ever do it.

The big question is, can you win a chip with Tatum as your best player. Earlier I would’ve said no, as of now I’d still say no, but if this trajectory keeps up we may be onto something here. Needs to add strength to finish through contact at the rim and get to the line more. The superstar whistle will follow. Passing is coming along with more experience and the shot has always been there. The key to unlocking maximum Tatum will be what he does with his physique. If he commits in the gym, we have a chance at a top 5 player. If he slacks off, he may plateau somewhere around the level he’s at now
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,942

Post#12 » by exculpatory » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:08 pm

crimsonandblue wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Jayson Tatum is destined to be a Top 5 player.

Pierce was never close to being a top-5 player

He sure as **** was.
He was vastly underrated.
He was most definitely a 5-15 player in his prime.
Is that close enough to 5?
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#13 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:10 pm

It's kind of scary because I still think his defense is ahead of his offense. He's got DPOY level defensive talent, and on the offensive side he's improved so much this year at basically everything. Of course the more they put on him offensively the less his defense will be (unless he's a robot with infinite stamina—TBD). Oh, also he never gets injured. Why can't he be the best player on a championship team? I see no reason. I can't believe he's not yet 22. His obvious comp is PG, but Tatum is already 2-3 years ahead of Paul George. If Paul George never gets injured, he's a top-3 player in the league for half a decade or more.

But he's not Durant. Durant is the best scorer in NBA history, who as his peak was capable of being the best defensive player in the league when the situation needed it.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM

Post#14 » by Ben-N1ce » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:12 pm

Homerclease wrote:I think he can be better than George but not quite on par with KD. Somewhere in the middle. Durant is a tool but one of the greatest pure scorers of all time. Maybe even the best to ever do it.

The big question is, can you win a chip with Tatum as your best player. Earlier I would’ve said no, as of now I’d still say no, but if this trajectory keeps up we may be onto something here. Needs to add strength to finish through contact at the rim and get to the line more. The superstar whistle will follow. Passing is coming along with more experience and the shot has always been there. The key to unlocking maximum Tatum will be what he does with his physique. If he commits in the gym, we have a chance at a top 5 player. If he slacks off, he may plateau somewhere around the level he’s at now

Well if he's PG Jaylen is Butler and we have another top 20 player why not? I don't see KD though. KD is top 5 gifted scorer all time if he never plays again. Realistically top 3 because of his height.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,942

Post#15 » by exculpatory » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:15 pm

Homerclease wrote:I think he can be better than George but not quite on par with KD. Somewhere in the middle. Durant is a tool but one of the greatest pure scorers of all time. Maybe even the best to ever do it.

Areas to enhance:
Strength to finish through contact.
Consistently getting to the line.
Consistently assisting.

I see a blend a Truth, PG13 & a little KD.
I see Top 10 for sure.
I see Top 5 possibly.
And it appears to be happening very very fast.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#16 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:16 pm

Yeah I don't think he is KD's equal or anything, those few inches KD has on Tatum is the difference between being an elite scorer and an all time great scorer.

I still like the never badly injured Paul George comparison. Just sometimes he looks like a smaller Durant with how effortless it seems.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,221

Post#17 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:17 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:It's kind of scary because I still think his defense is ahead of his offense. He's got DPOY level defensive talent, and on the offensive side he's improved so much this year at basically everything. Of course the more they put on him offensively the less his defense will be (unless he's a robot with infinite stamina—TBD). Oh, also he never gets injured. Why can't he be the best player on a championship team? I see no reason. I can't believe he's not yet 22. His obvious comp is PG, but Tatum is already 2-3 years ahead of Paul George. If Paul George never gets injured, he's a top-3 player in the league for half a decade or more.

But he's not Durant. Durant is the best scorer in NBA history, who as his peak was capable of being the best defensive player in the league when the situation needed it.

Whelp, the reason why he can’t be is that there are other really damn good players out there too. Siakam, Giannis, Luka amongst others that Tatum is going to have to battle during his prime. Is Tatum on the level of a Giannis yet? Clearly not but the question is whether or not he can get there.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM

Post#18 » by Ben-N1ce » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:22 pm

The Comedian wrote:Yeah I don't think he is KD's equal or anything, those few inches KD has on Tatum is the difference between being an elite scorer and an all time great scorer.

I still like the never badly injured Paul George comparison. Just sometimes he looks like a smaller Durant with how effortless it looks.

Freak of nature. 6'10 athletic 49/38/88 career shooting splits :o
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#19 » by peachbucket » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:41 pm

Physically, stylistically, and skillwise I think he most resembles KD. Paul Pierce was much powerful in his lower body. Paul George is significantly more athletic. Tatum has a very high dribble and un-blockable release point just like Durantula.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#20 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:43 pm

To me it’s last years Paul George. Who was unbelievable. I think he projects to PG as is but his ceiling will years of what Paul George gave u last season. I think he’s gonna be better than pierce

Return to Boston Celtics