The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Re: The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread 

Post#1101 » by DY_nasty » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:32 pm

W_HAMILTON wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Marv is being bought out and will become an UFA.

Really sad for us, because Marv has been such a wonderfully likeable guy to root for.

Really, really happy for him that he can sign with a contending team and productively contribute to them winning a ring.

Love ya Marv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get this. I have been a super casual fan as of late and haven't been following all the ins and outs, but it seems like a misuse of resources. He's immediately signing with one of the best teams in the league, and we couldn't get ANYTHING for him through a trade rather than a buyout?

drummond didn't even get a good haul for this year's market... hell, its arguable that detroit should've just let him walk for nothing as well too.

marvin not getting anything decent isn't a surprise
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Post#1102 » by W_HAMILTON » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:32 pm

Rays Pompadour wrote:This move, as opposed to a trade, is all about respect...and an investment in a future coaching star.

The buyout gave Marvin control that a trade would not. This was also not a money move, though it was fiscally responsible. What it was was a nod to a professional whose best days are ahead of him as an NBA coach.

When William's retires, which I think will happen after this season is up, especially if Milwaukee makes it to the finals, his first look should be to Charlotte, with it's basketball-rabid, family-friendly community and its youth-saturated NBA franchise.

Looking at it like this makes me a little more optimistic about the move (buyout vs. trade).
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Post#1103 » by W_HAMILTON » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:35 pm

DY_nasty wrote:drummond didn't even get a good haul for this year's market... hell, its arguable that detroit should've just let him walk for nothing as well too.

But given the apparent immediate interest from several teams, how is it that we couldn't get anything for him? Maybe it's due to the complicated trade rules that would require a certain amount of salary coming back or something? I don't know, but it seems like if several teams were trying to recruit him, that means you could get SOMETHING in return, even if just a second rounder or cash considerations or something, but again, I'm not up on all the nuances of the salary cap implications on stuff like that anymore.
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1104 » by DY_nasty » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:49 pm

W_HAMILTON wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:drummond didn't even get a good haul for this year's market... hell, its arguable that detroit should've just let him walk for nothing as well too.

But given the apparent immediate interest from several teams, how is it that we couldn't get anything for him? Maybe it's due to the complicated trade rules that would require a certain amount of salary coming back or something? I don't know, but it seems like if several teams were trying to recruit him, that means you could get SOMETHING in return, even if just a second rounder or cash considerations or something, but again, I'm not up on all the nuances of the salary cap implications on stuff like that anymore.

yeah, that's a huge part of it. if it was about absorbing marvin william's contract without concern then sure... plenty of things are possible. dude's contract is hefty though and even if you're looking at younger players coming back, you have to consider their own coming FA or RFA where it becomes a much more complex situation than a simple expiring contract.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#1105 » by yosemiteben » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:36 am

DY_nasty wrote:
W_HAMILTON wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Marv is being bought out and will become an UFA.

Really sad for us, because Marv has been such a wonderfully likeable guy to root for.

Really, really happy for him that he can sign with a contending team and productively contribute to them winning a ring.

Love ya Marv.

I don't get this. I have been a super casual fan as of late and haven't been following all the ins and outs, but it seems like a misuse of resources. He's immediately signing with one of the best teams in the league, and we couldn't get ANYTHING for him through a trade rather than a buyout?

drummond didn't even get a good haul for this year's market... hell, its arguable that detroit should've just let him walk for nothing as well too.

Drummond is a head case with a huge player option for next season, that's a totally different situation.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1106 » by DY_nasty » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:50 am

yosemiteben wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
W_HAMILTON wrote:

Drummond is a head case with a huge player option for next season, that's a totally different situation.

he's clearly opting out :lol:

dude was treated as an expiring contract with the option to re-sign. lets not kid ourselves
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1107 » by yosemiteben » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:55 am

DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

he's clearly opting out

dude was treated as an expiring contract with the option to re-sign. lets not kid ourselves
Maybe so, maybe not. Obviously he's just a major injury away from that decision essentially being made for him.

I think he's definitely viewed as a high risk player though, he's never been able to lead his team to wins. He's way riskier than Marv, who is a true expiring and a quintessential team player.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1108 » by DY_nasty » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:59 am

yosemiteben wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Drummond is a head case with a huge player option for next season, that's a totally different situation.

he's clearly opting out

Maybe so, maybe not. Obviously he's just a major injury away from that decision essentially being made for him.

I think he's definitely viewed as a high risk player though, he's never been able to lead his team to wins. He's way riskier than Marv, who is a true expiring and a quintessential team player.

oh come on dude. who isn't an injury risk ffs...

even a guy like horford can opt out and safely cash in these days.

but if you want to be mad about guys getting bought out after years of ppl here complaining that we'd never do it even if it meant clearing up minutes for younger players im not gonna stop you now. have fun bro :lol:
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1109 » by yosemiteben » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:02 am

DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:he's clearly opting out

oh come on dude. who isn't an injury risk ffs...

even a guy like horford can opt out and safely cash in these days.

but if you want to be mad about guys getting bought out after years of ppl here complaining that we'd never do it even if it meant clearing up minutes for younger players im not gonna stop you now. have fun bro :lol:

Drummond is the anti-Horford, though, and when a player has a huge risk profile with a huge player option, injury risk is real. A team would be foolish to trade for him and assume there are no circumstances where he exercises that option.

I don't care about the buyout now, that's irrelevant to my point. I honestly don't get why we didn't trade him and Cody for guys we'll never play if only to get picks. My point is our strategy as part of this rebuild has been non-sensical.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1110 » by DY_nasty » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:12 am

help me understand what's nonsensical about buying out a guy

if a good trade isn't there *and you literally don't know if there was or not*, then buy him out - how is this crazy?

of all the things to be mad about with this team lol
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1111 » by yosemiteben » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:16 am

DY_nasty wrote:help me understand what's nonsensical about buying out a guy

if a good trade isn't there *and you literally don't know if there was or not*, then buy him out - how is this crazy?

Again, I don't give a **** about the buyout. What I do care about, is letting Kemba hit UFA (i.e., no picks for losing him), then signing Rozier (no clear role in rebuild but takes up a bunch of cap space), then not making a move at the deadline because we're scared of losing cap space.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1112 » by DY_nasty » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:19 am

yosemiteben wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:help me understand what's nonsensical about buying out a guy

Again, I don't give a **** about the buyout. What I do care about, is letting Kemba hit UFA (i.e., no picks for losing him), then signing Rozier (no clear role in rebuild but takes up a bunch of cap space), then not making a move at the deadline because we're scared of losing cap space.

kemba chose to leave
rozier's role is clear
we didn't 'lose' cap space and not making a bad trade is better than making a trade for the sake of making a trade

choose happiness, friend

or don't lol im not a counselor
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#1113 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:10 am

How much did we save in the buyout? Knowing this teams history of competence I’m guessing $50k?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1114 » by yosemiteben » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:02 am

DY_nasty wrote:lrozier's role is clear
we didn't 'lose' cap space

What exactly is Rozier's role? Tie up $18M in cap space all three years of our tank?

And acting like we had no role in Kemba leaving is just being disingenuous. We didn't even offer him a regular max.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,666

Post#1115 » by Diop » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:49 am

yosemiteben wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:lrozier's role is clear
we didn't 'lose' cap space

What exactly is Rozier's role? Tie up $18M in cap space all three years of our tank?

And acting like we had no role in Kemba leaving is just being disingenuous. We didn't even offer him a regular max.

And thank god we didn’t offer Kemba the max, we probably saved him from himself. this team would still be crap and he would be getting less recognition.

Anyhow this is the Marv thread.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1116 » by euphorbus » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:40 am

I'll be sad to see him go. Marvin is a true pro. Despite being a long-time veteran upon arrival, he really grew as a player on the Hornets.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,666

Post#1117 » by Diop » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:02 am

Read on Twitter
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#1118 » by LofJ » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:20 am

If he wants a new career he should be on the Hornets bench as an assistant coach next season.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,503

Post#1119 » by HornetJail » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:29 am

In case you were wondering, nobody in Hornets history except Kemba and Dell hit more threes than Marvin Williams. Enjoy your retirement Marvin, we miss your bouncy threes
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1120 » by BigSlam » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:23 am

Goggles baby. Goggles.

B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets