mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#561 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 6:14 pm

Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
I don't remember young JB, but I hope you are right. His D is str8 already as long as he improves. He needs a little more meat on him, but that should come.

A little more meat sure. I doubt a lot more meat ever comes.

You gotta remember Butler was 2 years older than Culver coming out of college. I expect he will put on a decent amount of muscle on that frame. He doesn't need to get as bulky as Butler either.

Yeah, he still isn't 21 yet. He could still grow a little more. Didn't think Wiggins would ever bulk up, but he seems to be slowly adding some muscle. KAT as well.
I'm no geek and can't post pics very well, but both from rookie season to now look totally different.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#562 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 9, 2020 4:22 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Dewey wrote:I for one will not compare or determine rookie winners/losers until after the 3rd year.

Saric? I liked him and IMO we could utilize him in this rotation.

You can get a pretty good idea right away. I would trade Culver for Morant with no hesitation at all. Even with Zion's injuries I would take that risk and trade Culver for him.

I think we all would and say Culver who?
Wiggins and Culver for Ja + salary filler, and KAT plus first for Zion....Get it done.
Dream dream dreaeeeem dream.

My point is made. Sure we will all have better information in 3 years, but we can make some educated choices from what we know now. If you're serious about KAT and a first for Zion no way. Too much risk and KAT is a very proven player.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#563 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 9, 2020 4:31 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You can get a pretty good idea right away. I would trade Culver for Morant with no hesitation at all. Even with Zion's injuries I would take that risk and trade Culver for him.

I think we all would and say Culver who?
Wiggins and Culver for Ja + salary filler, and KAT plus first for Zion....Get it done.

My point is made. Sure we will all have better information in 3 years, but we can make some educated choices from what we know now. If you're serious about KAT and a first for Zion no way. Too much risk and KAT is a very proven player.

The Kat for Zion trade I would consider. I get that there is risk, and KAT is a proven player, but if...if Zion can get and remain healthy he could change the BBall landscape. Again big if, but I don't think KAT can lead a team to the title as the #1 guy. Great 1A. but he just doesn't seem like he will get much better than he is now. IMHO.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#564 » by Dewey » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:54 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:I think we all would and say Culver who?

I tend to agree on the KAT take ... he just hasn’t proven to have that mental capacity. IMO if the front office question him - I hope they move him or else we will see a half-a$$ build effort vs all being all in

The Kat for Zion trade I would consider. I get that there is risk, and KAT is a proven player, but if...if Zion can get and remain healthy he could change the BBall landscape. Again big if, but I don't think KAT can lead a team to the title as the #1 guy. Great 1A. but he just doesn't seem like he will get much better than he is now. IMHO.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#565 » by TheZachAttack » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:09 am

Culver has shown an improved level of play over the last stretch of games (9 games or ~11% of the season) with increased playing time while the Wolves have dealt with injuries. I wanted to take a quick look into what those numbers look like to contextualize them for myself and also share with this group.

Culver's last 9 games:

30.5 mpg
14.1 pts/game
5.4 rbds/game
2.5 asts/game
2.5 stl + blks/game
2.2 TO/game

on 51% 2 PT FG% & 32% 3 FG%

Per 36 minutes that's:

16.6 pts/game
6.4 rbds/game
3.0 asts/game
3.0 stls + blks/game

He has been even better in the last 8 games (~10% of the season):

31.4 mpg
15 pts/game
5.7 rbd/game
3.2 ast/game
1.8 stl + blk/game

on 52% from 2 PT FG% & 31% 3 PT FG%

Per 36 minutes that's:

17.2 pts/game
6.54 rbd/game
3.7 ast/game
2.1 stl + blks/game

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Culver still needs to improve his efficiency at all levels, but I think it's encouraging to see an improvement that trends towards average efficiency. In addition, he is filling up the stat sheet and making an impact in a lot of different ways as a secondary creator and on the defensive end.

Positivity
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#566 » by TheProdigy » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:10 pm

For the season so far, Culver is shooting 45.3% from the free throw line. That is embarrassing. As a point of reference, Shaq shot 52.7% from the line over his career.

Culver needs to lock himself in a gym during the all star break and shoot free throws until he's delirious and can't see straight.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#567 » by jpatrick » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:29 pm

He needs to improve his shooting/finishing at all levels. I read fairly recently that he’s posting the worst true shooting percentage in Wolves history for a player with significant minutes. And we’ve had a lot of bad players on this team over the years.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#568 » by Jedzz » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:06 pm

DaKidKG wrote:For the season so far, Culver is shooting 45.3% from the free throw line. That is embarrassing. As a point of reference, Shaq shot 52.7% from the line over his career.

Culver needs to lock himself in a gym during the all star break and shoot free throws until he's delirious and can't see straight.

Maybe a VR set and practicing shooting fake FTs with star players scowling at him and crowds chanting you suuck! To learn how to focus when all eyes are digging at your brain.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#569 » by Jedzz » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:11 pm

jpatrick wrote:He needs to improve his shooting/finishing at all levels. I read fairly recently that he’s posting the worst true shooting percentage in Wolves history for a player with significant minutes. And we’ve had a lot of bad players on this team over the years.

It's really too bad because on defense he's showing some ability. In spurts, he's shown some good offense. But he's a rookie and they are all different in readiness. This team never should have forced him like they did for so long. I'm actually tired of repeated that since November so I'll leave it there. Gleague time and shooting help there could have really helped.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#570 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:26 pm

DaKidKG wrote:For the season so far, Culver is shooting 45.3% from the free throw line. That is embarrassing. As a point of reference, Shaq shot 52.7% from the line over his career.

how is that even possible?
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#571 » by Swish4 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:35 pm

Boom or bust prospect went bust IMO
ESPOMAN
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#572 » by ESPOMAN » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:38 pm

His shot is pretty broken right now. His free throws are just so bad. Hopefully he can get that better. I'm not sure how the stats back this up but his defense has seemed pretty solid this year at least.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#573 » by wildvikeswolves » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:35 pm

If his shot wasn’t so broke he would be such a great fit at the 3 between Beasley/Juancho.

Hopefully he gets back to where he was a few weeks ago to end the season. I expect he’ll be part of a big trade package this offseason.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#574 » by Dewey » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:29 pm

wildvikeswolves wrote:If his shot wasn’t so broke he would be such a great fit at the 3 between Beasley/Juancho.

Hopefully he gets back to where he was a few weeks ago to end the season. I expect he’ll be part of a big trade package this offseason.

I have pondered the Culver scenarios as well, but he has to find a way to shoot better or at least finish at the basket better - and make his free throws. He seems to have the IQ, but you are correct, he has to fix that broken shot one way or another. Fortunately with Beasley here it will take the scoring pressure off some, but man, need better.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#575 » by Neeva » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:35 pm

I hope wolves keep him unless it’s for a proven player i still think he can be a dinwiddie type , wolves just need to be patient. Dinwiddie shot barely 30 percent his rookie year and 35 his second year. However he was a second round pick..
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#576 » by Mamba4Goat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:46 pm

Is there a way with the new found spacing that the Wolves could run Culver in a role similar to what Houston is playing Westbrook? (As a de-facto center on offense) He's strong enough to bully smaller wings and he has shown flashes of decent passing.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#577 » by minimus » Fri May 22, 2020 7:57 am

His ability to defend bigger opponent is a huge plus. Kawhi, PG13, Middleton this type of players has always been a problem for us. Big wings who are skilled enough to beat our bigs off the dribble and are big enough to overpower our wings. I wonder how much Jarrett can improve his body. Getting 10-15lbs up to 210lbs would make even more capable defender and slasher. From what I've read he has putting some work during this stoppage to improve his strength.

As part of the team’s strength and conditioning program, Jarrett is doing daily weigh-ins. He’s added more muscle during these two months than he has in his entire life, in no small part to the extra motivation and spotting from his brothers.

“Just trying to have a consistent schedule,” Jarrett said. “Lift, shooting workout, work out again at night.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#578 » by Jedzz » Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:Is there a way with the new found spacing that the Wolves could run Culver in a role similar to what Houston is playing Westbrook? (As a de-facto center on offense) He's strong enough to bully smaller wings and he has shown flashes of decent passing.

I haven't the foggiest how we could expect him to do anything Westbrook is capable of at the moment.

Of course if you believe this page at realGM,
it seems Culver is a starting SG with Beasley the starting Point, and Russell as a rotation point. Couldn't dream this stuff up easily. I know that much.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#579 » by Klomp » Fri May 22, 2020 4:09 pm

minimus wrote:

His ability to defend bigger opponent is a huge plus. Kawhi, PG13, Middleton this type of players has always been a problem for us. Big wings who are skilled enough to beat our bigs off the dribble and are big enough to overpower our wings. I wonder how much Jarrett can improve his body. Getting 10-15lbs up to 210lbs would make even more capable defender and slasher. From what I've read he has putting some work during this stoppage to improve his strength.

As part of the team’s strength and conditioning program, Jarrett is doing daily weigh-ins. He’s added more muscle during these two months than he has in his entire life, in no small part to the extra motivation and spotting from his brothers.

“Just trying to have a consistent schedule,” Jarrett said. “Lift, shooting workout, work out again at night.

That ability to guard bigger players is huge. Not only just for size, but even just in terms of allowing the team flexibility to create different lineup combinations. A lot of those bigger wing types have been playing the 4 more frequently (the Clippers duo, Giannis, . With Culver's ability to defend, can now put an extra perimeter player on the floor who can defend the other perimeter guys. The most important thing is that he allows for 1-4 switching.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
ClarkeW
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#580 » by ClarkeW » Fri May 22, 2020 6:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:

That ability to guard bigger players is huge. Not only just for size, but even just in terms of allowing the team flexibility to create different lineup combinations. A lot of those bigger wing types have been playing the 4 more frequently (the Clippers duo, Giannis, . With Culver's ability to defend, can now put an extra perimeter player on the floor who can defend the other perimeter guys. The most important thing is that he allows for 1-4 switching.

Agreed. This is why I don’t want to give up on Culver yet. He may have been disappointing during his rookie year but he has the potential to turn into the type of wing this team will need if they’re going to contend some day. I think that’s worth investing another year of development.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves