Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:43 pm

Dion Waiters and the Memphis Grizzlies have agreed to a buyout.

Waiters will receive his full pay for the remainder of the current season and $12.6 million in 20-21.

Waiters appeared in three games for the Miami Heat this season before his trade to the Grizzlies at the deadline.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#2 » by Scoonie » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:58 pm

Does this mean that his time in the NBA is done?
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Ammar19
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Ammar19 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:20 pm

Loool.....so they bought out Waiters but wouldn’t buy out Iggy...

Igoudala - 11.3 million/1 year left
Waiters - 12.1 million/2 years left (second year was 12.6 million)

They didn’t care about the money it cost to release igoudala, they were just petty. I guess they got Winslow for him.. but still lol.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#4 » by dan-man » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:25 pm

Shocker...
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by dan-man » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:26 pm

Ammar19 wrote:Loool.....so they bought out Waiters but wouldn’t buy out Iggy...

They didn’t care about the money it cost to release igoudala, they were just petty. I guess they got Winslow for him.. but still lol.

Not sure how you are using logic to compare the two scenarios. Iggy was a desirable asset while Waiters is a locker room destroyer and everyone knows this. When he and his agent realize there's no market for his services, he'll pack his bags for Turkey, since China is shut down due to the virus.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by dan-man » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:30 pm

Scoonie wrote:Does this mean that his time in the NBA is done?

My guess would be yes. But maybe he was only done at this pay range, therefore untradable but perhaps he will get picked up on a vet minimum deal on a short leash.
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#7 » by klemen4 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:52 pm

Wait..do not understand this...he will get all his money for next season??? Can not be right???
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#8 » by TheCage4 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:11 pm

klemen4 wrote:Wait..do not understand this...he will get all his money for next season??? Can not be right???

I too am a bit perplexed. It’s standard practice that in a buyout, a player receives a portion of their remaining contract, not the whole thing.

If Waiters is receiving his full salary I’d say he was outright released.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#9 » by Elnegron » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:46 pm

It was more like a wave than buyout. A buyout the team recoup some money. I could see desperate 76ers looking for bench depth. Imagine waiters hacking up the offense lol
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#10 » by arasu » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:56 am

dan-man wrote:
Ammar19 wrote:Loool.....so they bought out Waiters but wouldn’t buy out Iggy...

Not sure how you are using logic to compare the two scenarios. Iggy was a desirable asset while Waiters is a locker room destroyer and everyone knows this. When he and his agent realize there's no market for his services, he'll pack his bags for Turkey, since China is shut down due to the virus.

Exactly. If Iguodala was bought out and went to another western conference team, it would look really bad if the Grizzlies had to face him in the playoffs. If Waiters goes to another team in the conference, the Grizzlies will be laughing it up.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by dan-man » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 am

TheCage4 wrote:
klemen4 wrote:Wait..do not understand this...he will get all his money for next season??? Can not be right???

I too am a bit perplexed. It’s standard practice that in a buyout, a player receives a portion of their remaining contract, not the whole thing.

True, that a buy-out would typically entail some form of cost savings on the team side. Given the dicey reporting from Real GM and Waiters knowing he could be done in the NBA, I'd assume he was waved... which is essentially a $0 buy-out. Whatever...
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:47 am

dan-man wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:

True, that a buy-out would typically entail some form of cost savings on the team side. Given the dicey reporting from Real GM and Waiters knowing he could be done in the NBA, I'd assume he was waved... which is essentially a $0 buy-out. Whatever...

I believe he had incentives in his contract (including a minimum number of games played) which were likely removed in the buyout. MEM doesn't want to pay him extra if he plays 76 games for CHA next season. (Unfortunately a distinct possibility.)
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by dan-man » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:31 am

Its just so gross, that a bum like Waiters is about to walk away with 24 mil in cheese, free.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#14 » by TimRobbins » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 pm

dan-man wrote:Its just so gross, that a bum like Waiters is about to walk away with 24 mil in cheese, free.

Nobody forced that contract on the Heat. Willing buyer and seller, and whichever way you look at it, the money will be doing a lot more good to the economy with Waiters spending it rather than sitting in Arison's bank account.
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#15 » by DoctorDunc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:46 pm

Contracts are contracts and you can’t blame a player with a 6-12 year earnings window for getting what he can. That said, there are all sorts of players who get bought out or won’t play for their team or take “rest days”. That is payroll going to people not on the court. You know who is paying for that? You and I are when be buy tickets to games or pay our cable TV bill.
zettapixel
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#16 » by zettapixel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:23 pm

TimRobbins wrote:
dan-man wrote:Its just so gross, that a bum like Waiters is about to walk away with 24 mil in cheese, free.

Nobody forced that contract on the Heat. Willing buyer and seller, and whichever way you look at it, the money will be doing a lot more good to the economy with Waiters spending it rather than sitting in Arison's bank account.

Ha! Arison can spend t as well as Waiters.
Is a concept of "doing your job well" still alive? Maybe those players should be given contract. If I did my job as well as Waiter did his my bum were on the street in a snap! He's an f-ing lying sob for signing a contract to actually play for the team and crapping on everybody.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by dan-man » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:27 pm

zettapixel wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:

Ha! Arison can spend t as well as Waiters.
Is a concept of "doing your job well" still alive? Maybe those players should be given contract. If I did my job as well as Waiter did his my bum were on the street in a snap! He's an f-ing lying sob for signing a contract to actually play for the team and crapping on everybody.

My reasonable compromise to this "Brandon Roy" loophole in the CBA, is that players can be released at any point in time, and receive 50% of their contract. 100% is quite extreme. 50 is plenty...Furthermore, this would virtually eliminate stand offs like we saw with Iggudolla and keep the free-agent market more liquid. Win/Win in the long run, overall.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#18 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:31 pm

TimRobbins wrote:

Essentially, the Heat paid the Grizzlies to clean up their tax mess by sending Winslow and buyout Waiters. Which is the right thing to do given the Grizzlies current roster.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#19 » by deeps6x » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 pm

It feels like the Grizzlies paid way too much for Winslow. Like Miami should have eaten Waiter's second year.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia

Return to Wiretap Discussion