ImageImageImage

The Newer-est Video Game Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Re: The Newer-est Video Game Thread 

Post#81 » by theGreatRC » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:03 am

Calinks wrote:I thought I would get 2K at Black Friday but it's not cheap enough for me to budge plus I don't have a ton of money to spend. Just not that thirsty for it this year, I'll get eventually at some point when the right deal comes along.

There are some great game deals though. Lots of good ones going for under 20. The main one I am holding out for is Resident Evil 2 for 15 bucks.

I 100000000% recommend RE2..i've probably ran through the story 30+ times, trying to beat it in a lower time each time, one of the best games this year
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,136

Post#82 » by Calinks » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:29 am

theGreatRC wrote:
Calinks wrote:I thought I would get 2K at Black Friday but it's not cheap enough for me to budge plus I don't have a ton of money to spend. Just not that thirsty for it this year, I'll get eventually at some point when the right deal comes along.

There are some great game deals though. Lots of good ones going for under 20. The main one I am holding out for is Resident Evil 2 for 15 bucks.

I 100000000% recommend RE2..i've probably ran through the story 30+ times, trying to beat it in a lower time each time, one of the best games this year

I have never beat a Resident Evil. When I was a kid I played it on the Sega Saturn but couldn't get past the the later part of the game. I hear RE is pretty short so I am going to try and play through the HD version and then move on to RE:2 remake. Should be fun to finally finish a game I gave up on many many years ago lol.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
SCTwins
Rookie
And1: 884

Post#83 » by SCTwins » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:32 pm

Nice to see I'm not the only one who skipped out on 2K this year. Maybe they will start to take notice if people stop mindlessly shelling out money to this company.

I'm not buying another one until they drop the pay-to-play in MyCareer. If that never happens, so be it. Leave that stuff to the MyTeam modes and let people spend hundreds of dollars on their card packs or whatever. I'm not doing it.

I'm sick of every year starting out with a player that isn't even good enough to make a JV high school team, that went undrafted or played overseas or some crap. Then they force you to have some crappy nickname like "Buzz"....really?

Remember the year you got discovered playing street ball? Smh..
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#84 » by UcanUwill » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:34 pm

I dont like being scared, so I dont play these type of games myself. Even original Bioshock is a bit much for me, never finished that game, my first Bioshock was infinite, and I love that one.

Finished outer worlds, about to try Jedi : Fallen order. I am glad this game doing well in sales, even tho its EA, and EA screw themselves. I remember before this game came out some outlet said, well, if you still think single player games matter, its time to prove to EA by buying this game. And was, F off, we dont own EA jack, nor we need to prove anything by throwing money to EA of all things.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#85 » by Calinks » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:19 pm

Been hearing good things about Star Wars. Will get it eventually, I have so many unfinished games piled up though. I'm going to have to go knock several of them off before I go buying many more new ones. Fortunately there is going to be a 2-3 month gap before the next wave of great games start to drop. Hoping I can finish up a few games by then. I have beaten maybe one game in the last 2-3 months it seems year have played so many. My current list of games I need to beat are

Outer Worlds
Assassins Creed Odyssey (this game takes forever)
Resident Evil HD
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Shenmue III
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Gears 5

Working on all those right now. Close of Shenmue III and KCD. I also started a new game I pretty much blindly bought on PC. It's called Disco Elysiam. Heard from a couple of people that it's amazing and different, a GOTY contender that's overlooked. I don't play PC games very much but I felt the urge to check it out. Just played about 30 minutes but I'm intrigued.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#86 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 2, 2020 7:49 pm

I finished up Resident Evil HD, Shenmue 3, and Kingdom Come. Enjoyed them all but happy to have them done.

In 2K19 I have really been enjoying building teams and importing historic draft classes. I drafted Reggie Miller in my second or third draft and he was amazing, turned him into a mega star but I decided to trade him and some assets for a younger Michael Jordan. Jordan spent years on the Pistons but could never get to the playoffs his team sucked. My wolves are perennial winners and often make the finals so I wanted to give him a shot at greatness.

It's actually harder to win with Jordan than you would think, he doesn't really have a 3 point shot, over the last few years I have been making him train in it though and at 29 years old he finally has an 80 open three rating. In this years playoffs he's been knocking them done. My team has really good talent all around.

I also wound up drafting Tim Duncan, I actually didn't want to have him but I had the top pick and there were no trades I liked and I needed a PF. I will probably trade him at some point, these 90's NBA players can't hit the three and its a big part of how I had my team built early on. The teams are still good but I have gotten used to having teams that can bomb away.

I don't play any of the games, I sim and then I watch some games in real time. It's fun to watch big playoff games and see how your team performs. This is the main reason why I haven't gotten 2K20, I'm just having fun building these teams and watching other franchises grow.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#87 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 2, 2020 7:55 pm

Part of the fun of playing like this is seeing other teams come together. I added Wilt Chamerlan's draft class like 5 season's ago and he got drafted to the Nets. He totally turned them around. Got MVP his first season and DPOTY. My wolves were dominating the title scene around then and he completely destroyed Towns and Reggie Miller in the finals.

He's so fun to watch, he's a total freak who does everything but hit three's. He scores damn near every time in the paint, catches alley's dunks out of the post, runs the floor. It's crazy how good he is in this game. Brooklyn is now this storied franchise and we always meet in the playoffs with them usually coming out on top.

Next season we got Magic Johnson coming into the draft so I can't wait to see where he winds up.

The only problem is that there is so much talent in the NBA now, every team has a bunch of great players. I actually use mostly random draft classes and then add a historic here and there but still, there is so much talent. Now I'm probably going to actively add some of the worst historic draft classes for 3-4 years to dilute the league a bit.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#88 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:00 pm

are Darksouls games worth it?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#89 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 pm

UcanUwill wrote:are Darksouls games worth it?

They aren't really my kind of games but I would say they are. People absolutely love them, if it looks like something you would enjoy, try one. People really are bananas for them so for those who have that particular itch, it scratches it extremely well.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Post#90 » by shangrila » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:40 pm

Calinks wrote:

They aren't really my kind of games but I would say they are. People absolutely love them, if it looks like something you would enjoy, try one. People really are bananas for them so for those who have that particular itch, it scratches it extremely well.

Yeah, it depends. Like Calinks says, if you like them they're basically the pinnacle of the genre (I mean, there's a reason why so many games copy from the Souls franchise so liberally). But it does take skill and patience as it is a challenge, so if that's not really what you're after then I'd give them a miss.

If you do try them I'd advise playing them sequentially. You can get the 1st remastered, then go the 2nd, then Bloodbourne if you've got a PS4, then Souls 3 and then Sekiro. It's easier that way as the games build on each other so it kind of eases you into mechanics (specifically BB did away with shields, forcing you to learn dodging which helps significantly in DS3).

Although actually Sekiro is a different beast altogether now that I think about it, so you could skip that one or even do it first if you wanted.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#91 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:15 am

shangrila wrote:
Calinks wrote:

Yeah, it depends. Like Calinks says, if you like them they're basically the pinnacle of the genre (I mean, there's a reason why so many games copy from the Souls franchise so liberally). But it does take skill and patience as it is a challenge, so if that's not really what you're after then I'd give them a miss.

If you do try them I'd advise playing them sequentially. You can get the 1st remastered, then go the 2nd, then Bloodbourne if you've got a PS4, then Souls 3 and then Sekiro. It's easier that way as the games build on each other so it kind of eases you into mechanics (specifically BB did away with shields, forcing you to learn dodging which helps significantly in DS3).

Although actually Sekiro is a different beast altogether now that I think about it, so you could skip that one or even do it first if you wanted.

I know people say those games are hard, but from my understanding, it just do not have difficulty options. I play mostly every game on hardest difficulties, so to me most games are super hard. And this maybe will sound a bit bigoted, but I glad when games do not have difficulty levels, I mean I get that everyone should have experience they want, but when I play the game on super hard, get stuck, get pissed off, and then I see some youtuber play on easy or normal, I feel like its almost doesnt count. What I mean is that if I will get stuck on dark souls, I will know that it was the same experience for everyone, so its comforting feeling.

Its like when people say they beat Xcom 2 but they were not playing ironman and loaded up every time they failed the mission or lost important soldier. So, you dont REALLY beat Xcom, that doesnt count in my book, for me that game is all about overcoming your mistakes and loses on the battle field and tactical map with one almost perfect run, and its supposed to be hardcore.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#92 » by Calinks » Sat Feb 8, 2020 7:28 pm

Ugh... I soooooo badly want a new good college basketball game. CH2K8 is pretty much perfect but I'd like a modern version with updated graphics, a few more features, and gameplay. I'd play it like crazy building up schools and such. Man.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#93 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:02 pm

Wasn't gonna get this year, but saw 2k20 on Amazon for $30. With all the trades, I felt I just had to do it.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#94 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:33 pm

This new Wolves team on 2k is killing it in MyLeague

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#95 » by Calinks » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:59 pm

Klomp wrote:Wasn't gonna get this year, but saw 2k20 on Amazon for $30. With all the trades, I felt I just had to do it.

I'm tempted. Think I will wait until its 20 bucks or so and then get it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#96 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:11 am

Calinks wrote:
Klomp wrote:Wasn't gonna get this year, but saw 2k20 on Amazon for $30. With all the trades, I felt I just had to do it.

The team pushed me into it, the reduced price pushed it over the edge.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#97 » by King Malta » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:35 am

Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:

The team pushed me into it, the reduced price pushed it over the edge.

Yeah all the trades are pulling me back in...goddamit it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#98 » by Calinks » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:57 am

Calinks wrote:

Welp... was just starting up 2K19 to continue my simulation dynasty mode when I got a special notification offer for 2K20 Loyalty edition. Comes with a ton of bonus stuff for 20 bucks. XD.

Said I'd jump on at 20, so here I am.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#99 » by Calinks » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:45 pm

Have played a few games. The team is really over powered on the base difficulty. For some reason Culver is amazing in the game. He's decently quick, get's the rack easily, and finishes well. I guess is this is what Rosas hopes Culver becomes, the guy in 2K would be massive on this team, he plays like Andre Iguodala or something. First game I had like 12 points, 5 boards, 8 dimes, 2 blocks.

Russell and KAT pick and pop is unstoppable. KAT gets open a lot and drains the three. Russell will get to the rim for a lay up or we can make the pass to an open Beasley.

It's really hard to score inside if ANYONE is defending you. Having some issues establishing KAT in the post.

Okokie has 99 speed which I think is kind of crazy, he's not THAT fast in real life, though he is fast. He gets out a lot on the break in this game for easy buckets.

Struggling with Beasley a bit. When he gets open looks he's money but he doesn't really get open on his own much. Probably need to run plays with him.

Played three games, blew all the teams out by 15 plus. Probably should up the difficulty. Pretty much everyone on the team can hit open threes which is amazing.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#100 » by Jedzz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:10 pm

You maybe need to back off the gaming Clank. I think I might be missing a win in the +/- games. So behind.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves