ImageImageImage

Deandre Ayton news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Re: Deandre Ayton news and highlights 

Post#1821 » by DirtyDez » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:04 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I still prefer Ayton work on his ball handling. I think developing a 3 ball (even if not at a KAT-level clip) wouldn't be too difficult since we've already seen him shooting in practice. The bigger development would be for him to be able to put the ball down make a move

He doesn’t even look at the rim from 3. That would have to be a Brook Lopez type transformation confidence wise.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,622

Post#1822 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:36 am

DirtyDez wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I still prefer Ayton work on his ball handling. I think developing a 3 ball (even if not at a KAT-level clip) wouldn't be too difficult since we've already seen him shooting in practice. The bigger development would be for him to be able to put the ball down make a move

He doesn’t even look at the rim from 3. That would have to be a Brook Lopez type transformation confidence wise.

He basically goes out there just to set screens (pretty crap ones might I add) and either rolls to the rim or steps into the elbow for that midrange jumper. He doesn't really stay out at the perimeter. I think a big part of it is Monty not giving him the greenlight
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,061

Post#1823 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:49 am

Ayton will have the 3 ball eventually. We had a really big lead last night and I was really hoping we would see him launch one to get one off in an NBA game where the outcome is already decided. If I was monty I would have told him if you are open for 3 take it at the end of the game.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#1824 » by Saberestar » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Hold on there.... Duncan ? Almost GOAT of PF-Cs ?

Simmer down son. Lets see if he can do this against all competition and not just the inferior ones. Glad to see his recent output, but lets not pretend he doesnt have problems with 'As big and stronger' Cs.

Next up.... one of the beastiest of boys

IDK... I think Ayton's play depends just on him, I just don't see how Porzingis can be considered an inferior competition.

Porzingis is not "strong", but his mobility and length are ridiculous and he has always been a good shot blocker/rim protector. He is having a tough time after more than a year out, but he is playing OK. 17 points, 9 boards and 2 blocks per game on a winning team.

We saw against LaMarcus Aldridge that Ayton can play great or just meh. He played against the Spurs two completely different games lately. At one of them he was dominant (25, 12 with great defense) and in the other one he was passive and a bit disoriented. The big and team in front of him were the same in both games and just around 10 days between games, but he played way different.

We will see, but I like his progression for now. It is difficult for young players to be consistent every single game, but he is getting there.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1825 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:45 pm

BTW, anyone else see how the Wolves defensive metrics cratered once KAT re-took the floor for them?

I gotta say, even in the depths of my despairs, I've never once dreamed of trading Ayton for KAT. I'm skeptical of the idea that you can just score your way to a championship. A team needs defense somewhere. Fortunately, it looks like we may have elite D at the best position at which to have an elite defender in the league. :D
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1826 » by thamadkant » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:28 pm

Some of you guys here have to get over Towns man.

I love him as a fantasy player but he is detrimental to his team.

First as good as he is as a 3pt shooter.... He camps out there a lot so you have four Wolves players at the perimeter. He makes his wings redundant somehow as ball watchers.

He needs to play inside out.... Like Rasheed Wallace did. Basically draw the defense in... Make his team mates have open looks then... Change it up by hitting open 3s.

Defensively he is horrific... Look at the drop off of the wolves.

You'd need to pair Towns with an elite inside scorer and defender to neutralize the loss due to his choice to be a stretch five... But then again it would mean he becomes a target for switches for guards to burn him when he's up there.

He would be perfect for Warriors style offense because they thrive on that arc ball movement and they have the sort of bigs or should I say rim running small Centers who can slash and finish lobs.

Ayton shooting 3s will come eventually. But he needs to dominate the inside. Suns need to have a variable offense.
Have Booker and other wings attack from the wing... 60% to 70% FG inside at high enough volume is more efficient than shooting sub 35% from the 3pt at the volume a center would usually do... He would need to make over 3 three pointers to justify shooting outside and that would mean shooting over 7 or 8 outside...

Suns need Ayton to be a dominant big first. He doesn't need to be like Embiid either who flops inside a lot. Ayton just needs to focus on getting 60% and above field goal at a high enough volume inside... And its very doable and it will come.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#1827 » by darmani » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:11 am

Is there a league-wide ban for the media to talk about Ayton's improvement on the defensive end?
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1828 » by cberry78 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:32 am

darmani wrote:Is there a league-wide ban for the media to talk about Ayton's improvement on the defensive end?

[Suns player] + Defense = *crickets*
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,031

Post#1829 » by sunsbg » Sun Feb 9, 2020 12:32 pm

Five assists from Booker to Ayton and a screen on the last plays, which led to another DA score.

Nice to see these two starting to work together. There was nothing of that last season, other than Deandre setting screens for Devin over and over again. Thanks, Igor.

Both of them don't project as true superstars, so raising each others game will be a key for the future.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#1830 » by Fo-Real » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:29 pm

The man seems motivated, dare i say EVEN FIERY lately!!
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,622

Post#1831 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:25 pm

Media don't care about the Suns. I don't blame them. The only time this season when they cared was when we were truly relevant earlier in the season and Ayton wasn't playing.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1832 » by Saberestar » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1833 » by Saberestar » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:03 am

Read on Twitter

And he is the fastest player since Blake Griffin to grab 1000 rebounds to start a career.

It's obvious that we have in Ayton one of the best rebounders that we have seen in the history of this franchise.

Shaq was too old when he was a Sun, so probably Charles Barkley was the best one. Not sure about the second one...probably Marion. Third can be Mark West.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ayton ends being our best all-time rebounder. He is on his way for sure.
Nice improvement in his second season in the league.
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,140

Post#1834 » by starbosa10 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:17 pm

Needs to stop wearing those pumas or make some adjustments. Had a few ankle injuries so fsr
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#1835 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:25 pm

starbosa10 wrote:Needs to stop wearing those pumas or make some adjustments. Had a few ankle injuries so fsr

Probably won't with a Puma contract.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#1836 » by Fo-Real » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 pm

The Moniker The Big Puma is gonna start to become a euphemism for constantly being injured!!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1837 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:50 pm

They do need to figure some **** out with his shoes. Like one ankle injury can be chalked up to a fluke but this is number 3 so his people need to see if the shoes are an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,904

Post#1838 » by LV-Suns » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:56 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:They do need to figure some **** out with his shoes. Like one ankle injury can be chalked up to a fluke but this is number 3 so his people need to see if the shoes are an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Its not just Ayton, Bagley has been sidelined all year with foot injuries too. A lot of the Puma athletes are actually sidelined with injuries. They really need to get rid of these.
I Dont wanna be here
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#1839 » by Damkac » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:00 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

And he is the fastest player since Blake Griffin to grab 1000 rebounds to start a career.

It's obvious that we have in Ayton one of the best rebounders that we have seen in the history of this franchise.

Shaq was too old when he was a Sun, so probably Charles Barkley was the best one. Not sure about the second one...probably Marion. Third can be Mark West.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ayton ends being our best all-time rebounder. He is on his way for sure.

What "the fastest" means? That he got them in the least games played or in the shortest time since getting in the NBA? If 2nd then it is super impressive with all the games he missed.

Would be awesome to have the Suns best all-time scorer and best all-time rebounder in Booker and Ayton. But they would need to spend their whole careers here and it won't happen if the team will not stop sucking.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1840 » by Saberestar » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:12 pm

Damkac wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

What "the fastest" means? That he got them in the least games played or in the shortest time since getting in the NBA? If 2nd then it is super impressive with all the games he missed.

Would be awesome to have the Suns best all-time scorer and best all-time rebounder in Booker and Ayton. But they would need to spend their whole careers here and it won't happen if the team will not stop sucking.

I think that it is getting 1000 rebounds in the least games played to start the career. But I am not sure.

Return to Phoenix Suns