ImageImageImage

Sophmores, 2020-21 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,815

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko; (Green, Poirier) 

Post#441 » by Parliament10 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Carsen Edwards shot 40% from 3 as a sophomore and 35.5% as a junior. Great FT shooter. I dunno, he should be a good shooter in the NBA, but sometimes it doesn't work out. He's signed to a cheap as **** 4 year deal, so there is no rush with him, and they have every incentive to develop him for the entirety of the deal given the rest of the salaries on the roster. He's never going to be a guy who beats you off the dribble and scores at the rim in traffic, but he can launch threes with a quick release and shown that he can shoot at all levels until he got to the NBA and played in 3 minute spurts for a few months. In college he had the entire offensive burden on him, had a 37.3 usage rate. You think if maybe he has a set role and doesn't have to taken ten awful shots every game maybe he'll be more efficient?

EZ 40% 3p shooter by his third season.

For how awful he's been, they've sure given him a lot of minutes and shots. So they must fairly well believe in him.

He has played 300 minutes and taken 100 shots. Hardly seems like a lot to me.

I mean, they drafted him at the top of the second round and immediately locked him up for four years. I'd say they like him. Unfortunately he has no role, they don't currently need a gunner off the bench and they can't afford to let him develop into one with regular minutes on a potential Finals contending team.

All these new guys need a little bit of time. They're not going to make it right off.
Especially behind a good team. They're just not going to get the minutes.

Of our 7 Total Rookies; we have about 5.5 promising players.
It's probable that all 7 remain in (or around) the NBA.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko; (Green, Poirier) 

Post#442 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:09 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Congrats to Tremont! Way to represent the Cs.

Read on Twitter

His team in that highlight video had 129 points early in Q4. That does put his 33 in a bit of context. :)

But that aside -- he's been one of the top players in the G League and a competent spot player in the NBA. That's about all one could hope from a late 2nd-round guy on a 2-way deal.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#444 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:56 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

So which of those plays would work in the NBA?
-- Some of the blocks would. A lot would just be altered shots in the NBA, but those are valuable too.
-- The faster offensive moves generally would.
-- Some of the post moves are painfully slow, and might not work.
-- NBA players would do a better job of fronting Tacko in the post. But NBA teammates might do a better job of entry passing to overcome that.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#445 » by cloverleaf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
For how awful he's been, they've sure given him a lot of minutes and shots. So they must fairly well believe in him.

He has played 300 minutes and taken 100 shots. Hardly seems like a lot to me.

I mean, they drafted him at the top of the second round and immediately locked him up for four years. I'd say they like him. Unfortunately he has no role, they don't currently need a gunner off the bench and they can't afford to let him develop into one with regular minutes on a potential Finals contending team.

All these new guys need a little bit of time. They're not going to make it right off.
Especially behind a good team. They're just not going to get the minutes.

Of our 7 Total Rookies; we have about 5.5 promising players.
It's probable that all 7 remain in (or around) the NBA.

Carsen's on/off of -14.3 is almost twice as bad as the next C, yet he's 12th in minutes played as a 2nd round pick. His TS% of .442 is #17 out of the 17 C's this season, yet he's 9th in usage--ahead of Theis with .605 TS% and Wanamaker's .557, as well as fellow back-benchers Romeo, Grant, JaVonte, Rob, Vince and Semi. He is 16th out of 17th on the team for DBPM.

They've given him a lot of chances in minutes and shots for what he's produced as an undersized 2nd-round pick. So, again, I take it they at least have been believing in him. Also, he's signed long-term and could have just been sent to Maine all year if they thought he wasn't ready.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,264

Post#446 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:14 am

Find someone who loves you as much as Grant loves being a Boston Celtic.

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#447 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:41 pm

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#448 » by Parliament10 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:04 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#449 » by Parliament10 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:56 am

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#450 » by Parliament10 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:57 am

Read on Twitter

Tacko Fall with 18 Rebs, 6 Offensive.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,235

Post#451 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:56 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Find someone who loves you as much as Grant loves being a Boston Celtic.

Read on Twitter

Quick, offer him a 10 year/$20 million deal, and all the free merch he can fit in his car...
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#452 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:33 pm

Read on Twitter

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#453 » by cloverleaf » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:54 pm

Nice to see Tacko starting last night for 30 minutes of play. I wonder why they didn't do that earlier?

The starting SF on the losing team last night was RJ Hunter, who went 3-9 with a few boards and assists in 29 minutes.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,966

Post#454 » by darrendaye » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:26 am

This is awesome..

Read on Twitter
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
stonehandluke
Ballboy
And1: 19

Langford Looks For Real 

Post#455 » by stonehandluke » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:41 am

Hi, guys --

Small sample size, but I think the downside here is Terry Rozier -- not saying their styles of play are at all similar, just that he seems solid enough to wind up being no worse than a starter on a bad team. Am I off base?

Yours,
SHL
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#456 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:48 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

So which of those plays would work in the NBA?
-- Some of the blocks would. A lot would just be altered shots in the NBA, but those are valuable too.
-- The faster offensive moves generally would.
-- Some of the post moves are painfully slow, and might not work.
-- NBA players would do a better job of fronting Tacko in the post. But NBA teammates might do a better job of entry passing to overcome that.

What will help is that he'll be playing against bench guys pretty much. And he's not gonna get a lot of primary post looks like he's Embiid or something. Mostly PnR and the occasional post off rotation or early fast break. What I liked seeing was the defensive awareness to see the play happening on the other side of the court and get over quick enough to make the play. His spatial awareness to understand how far away he can be with his length and still get to the play as well. Looking forward to another offseason of growth and see how he builds on the success of this season.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Langford Looks For Real 

Post#457 » by Parliament10 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:43 am

stonehandluke wrote:Hi, guys --

Small sample size, but I think the downside here is Terry Rozier -- not saying their styles of play are at all similar, just that he seems solid enough to wind up being no worse than a starter on a bad team. Am I off base?

Yours,
SHL

Langford looks pretty good. Sounds about right.
We'll give him 3-4 years, and see where he's at.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Re: Langford Looks For Real 

Post#458 » by 31to6 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:44 am

Parliament10 wrote:
stonehandluke wrote:Hi, guys --

Yours,
SHL

Langford looks pretty good. Sounds about right.
We'll give him 3-4 years, and see where he's at.

Might be a good comparison to keep in mind, in terms of career arc.

A play style comp I’ve thought about is Marquis Daniels. Anyone? Yes/no?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,344

Post#459 » by Red2 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:14 am

I dunno about you but I was hoping for more production from our rookies by now
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#460 » by GuyClinch » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:21 am

Rookies been disappointing. Langford looks decent - i kind of like Green and Poirier who I think can contribute on most NBA teams but are not real rookies..

I think like most Ainge rookies a lot of these guys will gone and forgotten by the end of next year. It's amazing how Ainge does that.. brings guys in. People here get hyped - and poof - they don't even remember their names.

Return to Boston Celtics