Kobe Bryant Discussion, Part Two

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion, Part Two 

Post#1361 » by Han Solo » Sun Feb 9, 2020 6:38 pm

karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#1362 » by karkinos » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:08 pm

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,639

Post#1363 » by G R E Y » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:49 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 965

Post#1364 » by Slink » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:24 am

Interesting video by Bill Simmons. The video begins about Kobe's post on leadership back in 2012, and Bill Russell's book "Second Wind", which is also about leadership. This led to Simmons writing a piece on Kobe's post called "The Kobe Question"

So when Russell mentioned a current star devouring his book and stealing that specific concept — then thanking Russell for the help — naturally, I expected the player to be LeBron James, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, maybe even Kevin Durant. Nope.

Kobe Bryant.

“Really?” I said incredulously.

And that’s how I learned that basketball’s greatest teammate ever held something of a soft spot for Kobe, someone who’s battled more coworkers over the years than Chevy Chase. Russell enjoys his competitiveness, loves his work ethic, appreciates his respect for history, and over anything else, loves how he borrowed that scouting idea. No other player ever mentioned it to him. Just Kobe. Which didn’t make sense to me. After all, Kobe regards his teammates the same way President Obama regards the Secret Service — these guys are here to serve and protect ME. Why would he need to scout them? What was I missing?

And that’s what Kobe described in that Facebook post. He’s making it painfully, glaringly clear — after weighing every possibility, interacting with as many people as possible, and reading everything he could read, Kobe made the conscious decision to become this basketball player and this kind of leader. Just know that he put some real thought into it. So we shouldn’t be surprised that he read Second Wind or hijacked that scouting-the-teammates trick. Kobe considered everything — every angle, every nuance, every trick, everything that could possibly help him — and determined what made sense for him and him alone.

https://grantland.com/features/the-kobe-question/

Simmons recounts how the Kobe called him about the his column piece and the two talked about several topics

-What went wrong in 2008 finals loss to Boston

-How he could't be the good "buddy buddy" teammate, and became tougher and critical in order to succeed.

-Beginning in the 08-09 season, Kobe hanging his Olympic gold medal on Gasol's locker, having defeated him and Spain earlier that
summer

-His thoughts on LeBron, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, the Thunder when Durant and Westbrook were teammates
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#1365 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:31 am

Kobe was good no doubt, but when the Lakers and Suns were tied 1-1 and the Lakers needed someone to lead them to a 2-1 series lead it was Smush Parker who got them there. He led the Lakers in scoring when Kobe had an off night. Smush forever!
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#1366 » by Knosh » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:18 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:Some reminders for this thread:

- No discussion of Kobe's past indiscretions or legal issues

:roll:

Seriously, **** all of you stupid ****.

Personal attack, to a mod nonetheless. Not acceptable...
- GM
TaylorTRoom
Pro Prospect
And1: 541

Post#1367 » by TaylorTRoom » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:31 am

I believe we went off track a couple of pages earlier when Kobe Stans started going off on Gayle King. That admonition goes both ways.
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Post#1368 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:26 pm

gayle king is an agent, these type of media personalities are the part of divide and conquer.

Kobe is no longer to defend himself, so here comes obviously somebody who needs to bring those allegations yet again, while playing the victim role. Then of course somebody like Snoop has to make a rant, which then helps this turn into yet another pointless war of arguments between men and women.

If Kobe was some big time hollywood producer, or anyone who's an employer of these television losers, they would keep their mouth shut about him.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,925

Post#1369 » by Domejandro » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Keep the discussion in this thread basketball related. If you really care, create a Reddit account to analyze the non basketball related stuff. Seriously, it is not that hard, RealGM is not going to be the medium to sway public opinion. The General Board is an outlet to discuss basketball (and apparently composers), there is a reason why social and political commentary is clearly defined in the rules as being disallowed.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#1370 » by Slim Charlez » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:07 pm

ShazamDaShiznt wrote:gayle king is an agent, these type of media personalities are the part of divide and conquer.

Kobe is no longer to defend himself, so here comes obviously somebody who needs to bring those allegations yet again, while playing the victim role. Then of course somebody like Snoop has to make a rant, which then helps this turn into yet another pointless war of arguments between men and women.

If Kobe was some big time hollywood producer, or anyone who's an employer of these television losers, they would keep their mouth shut about him.

So disgusting
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#1371 » by 13th Man » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Still feels surreal that Kobe is gone. He always had an aura of invincibility around him.

Miss you man, you will always be an inspiration.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,788

Post#1372 » by Deivork » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:41 pm

Domejandro wrote:Keep the discussion in this thread basketball related. If you really care, create a Reddit account to analyze the non basketball related stuff. Seriously, it is not that hard, RealGM is not going to be the medium to sway public opinion. The General Board is an outlet to discuss basketball (and apparently composers), there is a reason why social and political commentary is clearly defined in the rules as being disallowed.

Then I strongly disagree. The general board is the most visible board, and just like Kobe "non-basketball" stuff is being discussed in the very visible media, we should be able to do it here too. Why try to split what's basketball and what's not when things are obviously intertwined?

Just like I posted a few days ago, what I believe would still really help is to split this thread into multiple ones by angles on Kobe's life, death and figure. And I do think all topics are worth discussing.

It feels kind of tasteless to me as is. Too much to fit in one single thread.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,490

Post#1373 » by Hipster Doofus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Close the thread; do a "mic drop" on it. There's no more "discussion" to be had, as per title.

The legend passed away but his legacy remains.

What else is there to talk about...

When the funeral and memorial take place on the February 24th, I'm sure there will be a thread about it.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#1374 » by karkinos » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:27 am

just watched whiplash this weekend. what a great movie.
that facebook post from kobe about his perception of leadership pretty much ties it all together.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,000

Post#1375 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:41 am

Vanessa Bryant on 'Nightmare' Deaths of Kobe and Daughter Gianna: 'I'm So Mad'

Vanessa Bryant is opening up in an emotional post about her struggle to accept the deaths of both her husband, NBA legend Kobe Bryant, and their 13-year-old daughter, Gianna.

In a post on her Instagram page Monday morning, Vanessa wrote she has been “reluctant” to write about her feelings, but wanted to do so to help others who are going through the loss of a loved one.

“My brain refuses to accept that both Kobe and Gigi are gone,” the 37-year-old mother of four wrote. “I can’t process both at the same time. It’s like I’m trying to process Kobe being gone but my body refuses to accept my Gigi will never come back to me. It feels wrong

https://people.com/sports/vanessa-bryant-says-her-body-refuses-to-accept-daughters-death-wish-nightmare-would-be-over/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,374

Post#1376 » by DS17 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:25 am

I miss you Kobe. So bad.
WeAreVenom
Head Coach
And1: 325

Post#1377 » by WeAreVenom » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:07 pm

Posted this on Lakers RealGM, think this might be a better place for it:

Still broken up over this, everyone else looks to be moving on with life. Still unbelievable to me to look at headlines or videos or whatever and to see "Kobe Bryant Dies" or "Kobe Bryant: 1978 - 2020". Unreal. Don't know where else to vent, figured yall are the only other ones who would get it.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#1378 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:38 pm

HMFFL wrote:Vanessa Bryant on 'Nightmare' Deaths of Kobe and Daughter Gianna: 'I'm So Mad'

Vanessa Bryant is opening up in an emotional post about her struggle to accept the deaths of both her husband, NBA legend Kobe Bryant, and their 13-year-old daughter, Gianna.

In a post on her Instagram page Monday morning, Vanessa wrote she has been “reluctant” to write about her feelings, but wanted to do so to help others who are going through the loss of a loved one.

“My brain refuses to accept that both Kobe and Gigi are gone,” the 37-year-old mother of four wrote. “I can’t process both at the same time. It’s like I’m trying to process Kobe being gone but my body refuses to accept my Gigi will never come back to me. It feels wrong

https://people.com/sports/vanessa-bryant-says-her-body-refuses-to-accept-daughters-death-wish-nightmare-would-be-over/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

brutal, it's tough on people that never even met Kobe, can't even imagine what she's going thru losing a husband and daughter like that
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,639

Post#1379 » by G R E Y » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:12 pm

*Hhhhhnghhhh*
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#1380 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:06 pm

"Its not as life can be taken away from you at any moment. Nooo that would be crazy, that would be cruel."

**** man that hits deep.

Return to The General Board