ImageImageImage

The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Re: The Silent Hero/Attribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#21 » by Zombiesonics » Sun Dec 8, 2019 2:13 pm

Theis is 2nd in the league in Defensive PIPM, only to giannis. I think with him he's definitely undersized but also in great physical shape, he just keeps going and will always be in the right spots. Stevens can go to Kanter for the beefier centers who like to crash the glass and post.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#22 » by cloverleaf » Sun Dec 8, 2019 3:06 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:Theis is 2nd in the league in Defensive PIPM, only to giannis. I think with him he's definitely undersized but also in great physical shape, he just keeps going and will always be in the right spots. Stevens can go to Kanter for the beefier centers who like to crash the glass and post.

And there is also Rob on the rise.

Theis must be great inspiration for both Wanamaker and Poirier (though Theis did play more ithan them in his first year here).
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#23 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Dec 8, 2019 5:55 pm

Theis just has a tireless motor. I do worry about him wearing down or getting hurt; seeing TL emerge in a bigger role would really help mitigate that risk.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#24 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:30 am

One thing that always impresses me about Theis is the way he seals off the other team's big men in the lane when one of his teammates drives to the basket.

I see it at least once or twice a game where it seems that someone may be driving towards a difficult finish, but Theis puts his back right into the rim protector so that his teammate gets a clear lane and an easy layup.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,238

Post#25 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:06 pm

Basically, Giannis is only slightly better than Theis lol.

Read on Twitter

No, but seriously Theis's defensive impact as smallball five after we lost Horford cannot be understated. We're paying him about $45M less this season and next. Offensive contributions/responsibilities of Al have been transferred to our wings specifically to Gordo.

How Theismann does in the playoffs is another matter. Horford elevated his game for us in our two ECF runs.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#26 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:20 pm

What are the main flaws in PIPM that let Lopez be ranked third?

zoyathedestroya wrote:Basically, Giannis is only slightly better than Theis lol.

Read on Twitter

No, but seriously Theis's defensive impact as smallball five after we lost Horford cannot be understated. We're paying him about $45M less this season and next. Offensive contributions/responsibilities of Al have been transferred to our wings specifically to Gordo.

How Theismann does in the playoffs is another matter. Horford elevated his game for us in our two ECF runs.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#27 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:06 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:What are the main flaws in PIPM that let Lopez be ranked third?

zoyathedestroya wrote:Basically, Giannis is only slightly better than Theis lol.

Read on Twitter

It's a measure of impact whilst a player is on the floor. It is not a way to measure an individual. So playing with Giannis would confer benefit to Lopez.

However, Bud has that defensive system tuned perfectly for Lopez I think. He's a great fit. Giannis would be a defensive monster anywhere.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#28 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:02 am

5InOfLouisville wrote:One thing that always impresses me about Theis is the way he seals off the other team's big men in the lane when one of his teammates drives to the basket.

I see it at least once or twice a game where it seems that someone may be driving towards a difficult finish, but Theis puts his back right into the rim protector so that his teammate gets a clear lane and an easy layup.

BUT one thing that drives me crazy about my dude is his inability to take a charge. He is a strong positional defender and frequently gets to the right spot.

I dont love it, but the fact is you have to learn to take the hit and fall down to get the charge call

He frequently stands straight up, feet set, but then awkwardly takes two steps back in a delayed reaction and flails. Technically, i think this is still a charge, but that will never be called

Its Worse when he turns sideways like hes afraid of the contact, which i just saw, but thy happens less frequently, if too often for my tastes

Its just that hes so good at getting to the spot in time, he neds to learn to sell it
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#29 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:22 pm

This is supposed to be an offensive breakdown video for the Celtics but it only made me appreciate what Theis does for our offense, even while struggling with his 3-ball and only scoring about 7 ppg.

Also, Kemba buying in to what Stevens likes to do on offense has been huge.

While Walker has been sensational on isolation (1.20 PPP; 93rd percentile in league), his iso frequency is only 6.7%. That's about half of Kyrie's frequency (13.2%) from last season. Irving was scoring less than a point per possession, good for 74th percentile.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#30 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#31 » by greenroom31 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:Theis is 2nd in the league in Defensive PIPM, only to giannis. I think with him he's definitely undersized but also in great physical shape, he just keeps going and will always be in the right spots. Stevens can go to Kanter for the beefier centers who like to crash the glass and post.

Great post -- Theis definitely deserves tons of credit for stepping up this year. He has far exceeded my hopes for what he could contribute and he's an awesome teammate as well. I love how Kanter and the other guys always shout him out but he just keeps on grinding.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#32 » by SLCceltic » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 am

And developmentally it is only yr 3 !
ROYALGREEN
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,246

Post#33 » by TheMartian » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:24 am

He is The-IS, after all.

But seriously, he is our silent enforcer and I'm glad he's on our side.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,445

Post#34 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:02 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:This is supposed to be an offensive breakdown video for the Celtics but it only made me appreciate what Theis does for our offense, even while struggling with his 3-ball and only scoring about 7 ppg.

Absolutely and why I voted him VC last game. The others wouldn’t score the points they do without his intelligent play. He’s a bargain.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#35 » by GoGreen » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:35 pm

No matter how you measure it, this guy is playing WAY above his contract. Didn't think he'd ever be more than a 3rd center. Always really liked him, but man, what an outstanding year he's had.

MUCH props to him!!
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#36 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:16 pm

Btw, Theis is playing elite defense and his offense has been picking up big time in the last 1-2 months. As long as our starting 5, Smart and Kanter are healthy we can compete with anyone, literally.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#37 » by sam_I_am » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:37 pm

I thought Theis was so promising as a rookie. Last season was a disaster for him and he really dangled out there during free agency. It almost seemed like Ainge overplayed him just to have a contract to trade. And now he looks like one of NBAs best bargains. He looks like the guy who helped win championships in Europe.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#38 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:40 pm

Theis is super high league-wide in a lot of advanced stats.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#39 » by Wes-J » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:51 pm

Theis>Horford

Saved us a lot of dough.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#40 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:33 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:This is supposed to be an offensive breakdown video for the Celtics but it only made me appreciate what Theis does for our offense, even while struggling with his 3-ball and only scoring about 7 ppg.

Also, Kemba buying in to what Stevens likes to do on offense has been huge.

While Walker has been sensational on isolation (1.20 PPP; 93rd percentile in league), his iso frequency is only 6.7%. That's about half of Kyrie's frequency (13.2%) from last season. Irving was scoring less than a point per possession, good for 74th percentile.

Good video.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics