ImageImage

The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2023-2024 Edition!

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Re: The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2019-2020 Edition! 

Post#921 » by Sinobas » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:08 pm

Blazers are creeping up on the 8th spot now. It's crazy how they went from looking like trash, losing to all the worst teams, to now beating the Rockets and the Lakers (on the road). Imagine if the Nuggests over-take the Lakers for the #1 spot, and we reach the playoffs with Nuck and Collins back.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#922 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Feb 3, 2020 11:00 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sadly, Aldridge said the same thing leading up to his free agency, then suddenly...……….. GONE!!!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#923 » by d-train » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:21 am

Players have a short window to capitalize on their skills. They can't afford to not look for their best deal. However, there is no reason why staying with Blazers isn't their best deal. Whiteside (31), Melo (36), and Ariza (35) are not going to be free agents in high demand. Whiteside might get more than exception money only if there is a contender with cap room. The rest of these guys are chasing exceptions. Blazers exceptions are as good as anyone's.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#924 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:03 am

Will the Blazers be able to claim anyone off waivers after the deadline when teams start buying out players? I'm not sure how that works financially.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#925 » by d-train » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:08 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Will the Blazers be able to claim anyone off waivers after the deadline when teams start buying out players? I'm not sure how that works financially.

Probably not off waivers, but after waived players clear, Blazers have that $2.9M exception they can use as cap space. We first have to have roster space. So, look for Blazers to try to create a roster opening.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#926 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:02 pm

d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Will the Blazers be able to claim anyone off waivers after the deadline when teams start buying out players? I'm not sure how that works financially.

Probably not off waivers, but after waived players clear, Blazers have that $2.9M exception they can use as cap space. We first have to have roster space. So, look for Blazers to try to create a roster opening.

Don't the Blazers have a $7 million exception from the Bazemore trade, as well? I know the point is to get under the luxury tax, but can they use that, as well if necessary?
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#927 » by d-train » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:17 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
d-train wrote:

Don't the Blazers have a $7 million exception from the Bazemore trade, as well? I know the point is to get under the luxury tax, but can they use that, as well if necessary?

Yes, that can be used in a trade but not to sign a player. I agree that taxes are going to limit the chances of that being used before next summer.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#928 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:01 pm

d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:
d-train wrote:Probably not off waivers, but after waived players clear, Blazers have that $2.9M exception they can use as cap space. We first have to have roster space. So, look for Blazers to try to create a roster opening.

Yes, that can be used in a trade but not to sign a player. I agree that taxes are going to limit the chances of that being used before next summer.

Thanks d. I always have tons of ideas, but don't know the ins & outs of the financial side so I never truly know if something is possible or not. I was just playing around on the Trade Checker and Trade Machine and somehow a trade worked on both websites that I did not think was possible. Hmmm
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#929 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:05 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:

Thanks d. I always have tons of ideas, but don't know the ins & outs of the financial side so I never truly know if something is possible or not. I was just playing around on the Trade Checker and Trade Machine and somehow a trade worked on both websites that I did not think was possible. Hmmm

Portland can't use the TPE to claim a player off waivers. The could use the 2.85M Hood DPE though. They could also use that to sign a player once he's cleared waivers
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#930 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:43 pm

CJ doesn't even get an invite to Team USA Camp for the 2020 Olympics. If JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard get an invite, shouldn't Whiteside get an invite? Mason Plumlee? Wow!!!

Bam Adebayo (Miami Heat)
LaMarcus Aldridge (San Antonio Spurs)
Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings)
Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards)
Devin Booker (Phoenix Suns)
Malcolm Brogdon (Indiana Pacers)
Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics)
Jimmy Butler (Miami Heat)
Mike Conley (Utah Jazz)
Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
Anthony Davis (Los Angeles Lakers)
DeMar DeRozan (San Antonio Spurs)
Andre Drummond (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Kevin Durant (Brooklyn Nets)
Paul George (L.A. Clippers)
Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors)
James Harden (Houston Rockets)
Montrezl Harrell (L.A. Clippers)
Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets)
Tobias Harris (Philadelphia 76ers)
Gordon Hayward (Boston Celtics)
Dwight Howard (Los Angeles Lakers)
Brandon Ingram (New Orleans Pelicans)
Kyrie Irving (Brooklyn Nets)
LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers)
Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers)
Kawhi Leonard (L.A. Clippers)
Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers)
Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks)
Kevin Love (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors)
JaVale McGree (Los Angeles Lakers)
Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks)
Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz)
Victor Oladipo (Indiana Pacers)
Chris Paul (Oklahoma City Thunder)
Mason Plumlee (Denver Nuggets)
Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics)
Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics)
Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers)
Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics)
Russell Westbrook (Houston Rockets)
Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs)
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#931 » by d-train » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:17 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:CJ doesn't even get an invite to Team USA Camp for the 2020 Olympics.

He's lucky and so are we. Who needs our player's risking injury and burning time and energy? Send Simons, Trent, and Little if we must.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#932 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:57 pm

d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:CJ doesn't even get an invite to Team USA Camp for the 2020 Olympics.

He's lucky and so are we. Who needs our player's risking injury and burning time and energy? Send Simons, Trent, and Little if we must.

Quite often, players decline the invite, but it would at least be nice to be invited.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#933 » by d-train » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:21 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
d-train wrote:

Quite often, players decline the invite, but it would at least be nice to be invited.

Maybe players have to do something to indicate interest before they are considered.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#934 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:54 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:CJ doesn't even get an invite to Team USA Camp for the 2020 Olympics. If JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard get an invite, shouldn't Whiteside get an invite? Mason Plumlee? Wow!!!

Bam Adebayo (Miami Heat)
Mike Conley (Utah Jazz)

yeah, it's a pretty weird list, and there are some names there that make you go...wut? Kuzma? Plumlee? White?

I'm assuming the coaches for team USA compiled that list, so without knowing how they graded prospects, it's hard to really know who should be on the list, but isn't, and who is on the list, but shouldn't be. I mean, I know why Doncic didn't make the list but that's about as far as it goes

as for CJ, I don't see any undersized SG's there, except for maybe Beal, but Beal is bigger and better than CJ, and has proven he can run an offense; he's averaging 6.3 assists/game this season
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#935 » by zzaj » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:41 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:CJ doesn't even get an invite to Team USA Camp for the 2020 Olympics. If JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard get an invite, shouldn't Whiteside get an invite? Mason Plumlee? Wow!!!

Bam Adebayo (Miami Heat)
Mike Conley (Utah Jazz)

yeah, it's a pretty weird list, and there are some names there that make you go...wut? Kuzma? Plumlee? White?

I'm assuming the coaches for team USA compiled that list, so without knowing how they graded prospects, it's hard to really know who should be on the list, but isn't, and who is on the list, but shouldn't be. I mean, I know why Doncic didn't make the list but that's about as far as it goes

as for CJ, I don't see any undersized SG's there, except for maybe Beal, but Beal is bigger and better than CJ, and has proven he can run an offense; he's averaging 6.3 assists/game this season

I always try and look at these lists compiled by coaches as lists of isolated skill..."well we're potentially going to need a rebounder...how about Drummond?" That, and who the coaches are and current/past allegiances with players. That might explain White...

CJ only does one thing arguably well (and actually not very well, if you look past the facade)--ISO scoring. That list is made up of at least 15 players that are better at that one skill than CJ...

...at least that's how my chasing a two year old brain made sense of this weird list when I first saw it.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#936 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:23 pm

CJ only does one thing arguably well (and actually not very well, if you look past the facade)--ISO scoring. That list is made up of at least 15 players that are better at that one skill than CJ...

This just isn't true, and I am not a CJ homer. His best talent, one that still isn't nearly used enough, is catching and shooting. For this season he averages 4.9 PPG in catch / shoot situations with an EFG% of 70 freaking percent. This is the BEST MARK IN THE LEAGUE for a starter. He is a unbelievable shooter when not forced to ISO. He just isn't put in that position enough.

He averages 3.3 3PT shots per game on catch / shoot basis, where he hits 47%. That's not nearly enough. He should be shooting around 4.5 - 5 per game of this variety, which would put him in company with Lonzo Ball, Danuel House, Josh Hart, Langston Galloway. All of whom are not nearly as efficient. Hopefully the return of Nurkic and Zach, who are both better at passing the ball back out to the perimeter, will improve his shot volume from this range.
d-train
RealGM

Post#937 » by d-train » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:23 pm

The glaring omissions from this list are NBA's top young players. So, I decided to dig a little further.

The website says this:
All 44 finalists possess international or USA Basketball National Team experience

This explains why there are no young players and some of the most qualified NBA veterans are not on the list. I'm guessing Melo isn't on the list because he doesn't want to be on the list. Other veteran players aren't on the list because they haven't expressed interest to play Olympic basketball for free.

The list is probably subject to change. I assume at some point there will be a new generation of young players added and many veteran players besides Melo will have their name withdrawn.

I would say the final selection of players is an attempt to build a real basketball team rather than an all-star team. Someone is trying to build a pool of US basketball players that want to devote a significant chunk of their life to representing the US in Olympic basketball.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#938 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

This just isn't true, and I am not a CJ homer. His best talent, one that still isn't nearly used enough, is catching and shooting. For this season he averages 4.9 PPG in catch / shoot situations with an EFG% of 70 freaking percent. This is the BEST MARK IN THE LEAGUE for a starter. He is a unbelievable shooter when not forced to ISO. He just isn't put in that position enough.

He averages 3.3 3PT shots per game on catch / shoot basis, where he hits 47%. That's not nearly enough. He should be shooting around 4.5 - 5 per game of this variety, which would put him in company with Lonzo Ball, Danuel House, Josh Hart, Langston Galloway. All of whom are not nearly as efficient. Hopefully the return of Nurkic and Zach, who are both better at passing the ball back out to the perimeter, will improve his shot volume from this range.

I don't think the presence of passers affects this for CJ. Last year they had Turner, Nurkic, & Curry around and CJ scored 4.0 points on an eFG of 56% (iirc)

CJ's catch & shoot numbers put him in about the 95th percentile if my match is correct. His spot-up numbers put him in the 86th percentile, same as Dame (Trent is in the 96th percentile... :o ).

Meanwhile, CJ is in the 69th percentile in PnR-ball-handler possessions; 46th percentile in handoff; and 44th percentile in isolation. In other words CJ is nearly elite when teammates create shooting opportunities for him, and worse than average when he dribbles into his shot. His assisted FG rate should be in the 65-75% range but it's only 36%. He's in the wrong role in the offense and his dribbling should be 20% of what it currently is. Some of this is on CJ, but much of it is on the coaches who don't structure the offense to take advantage of CJ's strengths while allowing CJ to emphasize his weaknesses. And it's on the GM who stubbornly refuses to add another facilitator or two who could get CJ those off-ball motion scoring chances
d-train
RealGM

Post#939 » by d-train » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:44 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Catch and shoot opportunities have to be created. The shooter doesn't create the shot opportunity. Nurk and Zach are good passers but they don't force defenses into rotations that create open shots. Maybe Nurkic can draw help rotations in rare circumstances against a mismatch. If Nurk or Zach get the ball when the defense is in rotation, they can find the open man, but someone has to first force the defence into rotation.

Even CJ, when he breaks down the defense, he doesn't always force a lot of defensive rotation because he doesn't always go to the basket. Lillard is our man for creating catch and shoot opportunities, which he only does on dribble drives to the basket. You might have noticed that Lillard doesn't always pass on his drives to the basket. In many cases you don't want him to pass.

Blazers best shooting opportunities are going to be created by Lillard's drives to the basket and mismatches against Nurkic and Melo. This, plus 2 and 3 man combinations out of pick-n-roll type stuff. The Blazers bad record this year is primarily because the 2-3 man combinations don't work without a high post big man to make plays. Whiteside is a great target when in scoring range but you don't want to pass him the ball, have him make 5 reads and shoot or pass to the player with the best opportunity. Aside from our broken pick-n-roll game, we didn't have mismatches until Melo came on board.

We have a great rotation of players right now when we are healthy. We don't have a top 10 superstar. We need to breakdown defenses with combinations of players. And, we have to recognize and exploit mismatches.
d-train
RealGM

Post#940 » by d-train » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:And it's on the GM who stubbornly refuses to add another facilitator or two

Yeah, Olshey is so stubborn he won't sign LeBron, Kawhi, or AD to play for the Blazers.

Wizenheimer wrote:much of it is on the coaches who don't structure the offense to take advantage of CJ's strengths

Yeah, Stotts doesn't know what he's doing. Blazers success last year after Nurkic's injury was all luck.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers